Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,475 Views | 62481 Replies | Last: 58 min ago by 62strat
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally made it here

Really cool space, including a wood burning pizza oven.

Eating lunch while drinking a Dinner.

turfman80
AG
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
jetch17
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Stopped at Ale Apothecary. Really interesting beers and it's cool they are really enjoy experimenting.

Now at Good Life drinking a Sippy Cup Hazy IPA before heading down to go swimming in the river. Beautiful day in Oregon!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Enjoying the river!
steve00
AG
Hoping the case of Dinner I checked makes it home. I found a Portland wine shop with a wine box they were going to throw out. It was a pretty busted up box, so I'm counting on a roll of bubble wrap and a whole roll of tape to keep it safe.

BSD
AG
Nice!!!

I'm flying into Portland next summer and driving to Acadia. It looks like Maine Beer Company is on the way.

I think I just Yeah. I just had an idea

austin08
S
Thoughts and prayers...
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
This thread
jah003
S
Another Redhorn release if you're into that sort of thing... I'm a Coconut *****... so naturally.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My sister in law just moved to Nashville and lives about 1/2 a mile from southern grist. Anything they should be in a look out for me for when she heads down this way or my wife goes up?
steve00
AG
Money
Jock 07
AG
Have only had lunch a couple times. How much better is dinner?
Chipotlemonger
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

My sister in law just moved to Nashville and lives about 1/2 a mile from southern grist. Anything they should be in a look out for me for when she heads down this way or my wife goes up?

Which location? They have 2 now, both are great but.

Crowlers at the original location, believe maybe just 4-packs at the newer one? From what I recall they started canning a good amount of their stuff in 4-packs.

Love all their berry-based sour beers. The pastry stouts are good but they release so many different named stuff that it can be difficult to keep track.

Loud Whispers is a good one they do from time to time, as well as DDH Noise Pollution. Mixed Greens is their go to IPA that they just rerelease all the time as Roman numeral batches.

You really can't go wrong with Southern Grist!
Wheatables02
AG
Jock 07 said:

I Second this question...
steve00
AG
It's not so much that one is objectively better than the other. They are both great beers. I got a case of Dinner and no Lunch for two reasons.

One is that I can find a few bottles of Lunch a couple times a month in my local stores. I've never seen Dinner for sale at any store. Lunch was on tap at a number of places in Portland, including my hotel bar, but nobody had Dinner that I saw.

The other is that I happen to prefer DIPA to IPA. It's like how I prefer to drink a Pliny, but I'm not going to be mad about a Blind Pig.
ChipFTAC01
AG
They live in East Nashville
MattJaxson
AG
I'm in East Nashville too, about a mile away from Grist and its basically our second home. New beers come out most Saturdays with 4-packs available at both locations. Bottle releases (typically stouts) vary, but are usually every 6-8 weeks at the Nations location.

Let me know when they are looking to pick up beer for you and I can point you in the right direction. Also hit me up if you are ever in town visiting and we can meet up for some beer!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes listen to MattJaxson he knows SG well!
jah003
S
Anyone ever snuck a celebratory beer into the hospital before? Is this cool? Do I have a problem?
La Fours
AG
I wouldn't say you have to sneak it in, but I have drank a beer on a couple of occasions with the same friend after his wife gave birth. First time was when his twin girls were born, second time was when his son was born. Both times he had a soft side cooler with a few beers in it.
txag2008
AG
It's not openly allowed, but I haven't seen it to be a big issue.

This was last year during the Clemson game
Bmac04
AG
Jock 07 said:

Dinner >>>>Lunch
dave99ag
AG
When's the big day?

And I don't think anyone is going to kick you out of the hospital.
jah003
S
dave99ag said:

When's the big day?

And I don't think anyone is going to kick you out of the hospital.
Wednesday is the scheduled C section.

I'm going to bring a small cooler and a sleeping bag. I know my wife will harass me. Her bag looks like we are staying for a month.
p-wonk01
AG
USED BREWING EQUIPMENT FOR SALE - Bryan/College Station

I've had the brewing equipment below for several years now, but it's been sitting in storage for a while. As I have two young kids and no time on my hands these days (and losing my storage area), I'm looking to sell it off if possible. This was initially set up for a fly sparge style of brewing (when all parts where there), but it can obviously be adjusted. Below is a list and pictures of items I currently have. Most is in good condition, but obviously there would need to be seals/gaskets replaced before using.

Please let me know if you have any interest. Right now I would prefer not to sell it piecemeal, but may end up having to at some point.

(2) 10 gallon cylindrical rubbermaid coolers.
-Both have weldless fittings and brass ball valves -Both ball valves have brass disconnects (male) -One is fitted with a phil's false bottom -One includes a Miljoco adjustable thermometer

(1) Half-Barrel Pot / Converted Keg / "Keggle"
-Weldless fittings
-Brass male ball valve and disconnect
-Copper dip-tube / pick-up

(1) Not quite Half-Barrel Pot (50 Liters) / Converted Keg / "Keggle"
-Weldless fittings
-Stainless male ball valve and disconnect -Copper dip-tube / pick-up

(1) Smaller Stainless pot (~5 Gallons)
-Weldless Fittings
-Stainless Ball Valve

(1) Homemade wort chiller
-25'+ of wound copper
-small, short 1/4" inline prechiller

(1) 6.5 Gallon Carboy
(2) 6 Gallon Carboys
(4) 5 Gallon Carboys

(1) March 809HS pump
-wired with switch, brass fittings and ball valves -Male Disconnects **haven't run in a few years, but was running well when last used**

(4) 5 Gallon "Corny" Kegs (NOTEI may keep 2 of these)
-Ball locks

(2) Gas disconnects
(2) Liquid Disconnects
(1) Bench Capper

Various other brew stuff, including (but potentially not limited to):
-Stainless racking cane
-Carboy "caps"
-brass fittings
-Carboy Dryer / Stand
-Airlocks
-Thermometer(s)
-1000 ml Flask (for yeast starters)
-Hydrometer & Test Jar
- Paddle and spoon -carboy brush

dave99ag
AG
I'm in the same place with two little ones and no time to brew. Good luck selling your gear! I'm going to hold on a little longer before parting ways.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good looking equipment!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Finished the move to Santa Rosa!

Had this beer while in Vegas, was a good double IPA. They have a good IPA too that I've had in the past, so if you need a craft beer fix in Vegas I recommend Joseph James.

Spent some time at Lake Tahoe after that. An amazing summer vacation spot! Visited both South Lake Brewing in south Tahoe and Fifty Fifty, up north in Truckee. My favorite beer of the trip was had during a fairly long hike on the west side of the lake. Had carried a few cans in my backpack for my wife and I, and needless to say I wanted to stop and open them sooner than she did! All that beer added up on the pack weight.

This beer was a collab between those two breweries actually, good kolsch.

Probably the coolest spot I've had a beer.

And today, after visiting RRBC the other day for some dinner and Pliny and bottles to go, I figured this would be a good home breaking beer.

Kyle98
AG
I took a year and a half break, finally getting back into it.
Jock 07
AG
That RRBC beer looks pretty good. I have a work trip to San Francisco in Nov and might have to find a night to make a run up to Santa Rosa
BowSowy
AG
So glad you finally left
Chipotlemonger
AG
It was a nice beer
Chipotlemonger
AG
BowSowy said:

So glad you finally left

MattJaxson
AG
He's been kicked out of two states in under a year. Now he's California's problem to deal with!
First Page Last Page
Page 1458 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.