Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,089 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by SoTxAg
Wheatables02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one responded to NC beer recommendations from me earlier and I just figured out why-

There are none. All the IPAs were pretty much average to terrible. As were the fruit beers and stouts and ales.

Boston and Maine in 4 days...
Jock 07
AG
Not sure if it's worth the price of admission, but still another solid offering from Stillwater
txag2008
AG
Not sure where you were, but Asheville has one of the bigger beer scenes in the US.
txag2008
AG
Celestial Odysseus
TIPA. 10%. 0ibu. Really good.

Wheatables02
AG
txag2008 said:

Not sure where you were, but Asheville has one of the bigger beer scenes in the US.

Tried a few IPA's from Asheville - not impressed. I bet seasonals would have been great if I could have found them..
Jock 07
AG
This is the second side project that I've had and I have to say that this is the top funky brewery that I've had beers from. Just phenomenal.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Catching up on posting about the two most recent boxes to come in courtesy of Neil (nbarrow) and Steve (steve00). Both these guys totally spoiled me with some great boxes.

Here is the box from Neil, who also bought me a couple beers when we met up last week. Great dude that I'm glad I got to meet and share a couple beers with. Already drank the Great Notion Double Stack and it was like pure pancakes in a glass. Absolutely delicious and a fun beer to try. Rest of the box is amazing too and I cant wait to try that Pugachev's Cobra either.

Here is the box from Steve. I mean holy **** that's a lot of beer to send, and so many beers I'm excited to try. The Lost Abbey Veritas Kriek obviously, and all the other Offshoot and new northeastern beers I have never tried. Just an insane box.

Also, a couple highlights from the previous couple boxes have been Ingenious Infinity Hopped (serious hoppy craziness), Red Horn Poptart Ravioli (crazy kettle soured strawberry milkshake ipa) and Business Strategy, which was just a delicious IPL.

Anyways, you guys rock and have been over the top in your beer generosity. If anybody in DFW on this thread wants to share a couple beers, hit me up because I'm starting to drown in all this great beer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Drinking a St Bernadus tonight got me thinking about the adventure of trying to obtain some Westy. Has anyone had any? Is it that great? Even if it isn't that mind blowing, I feel like it would be a cool adventure. I'm over in South England about once a year and it's only about a 3-4 hour journey to get some if I could get on the list. Not sure how my wife would feel about me taking a day away from our trip to make a BEERRUN a couple of countries away.
steve00
AG
It's really good, but probably not amazing. If you are looking for an adventure, then going there in person to get it seems fun. Otherwise, just order it from here:

https://belgiuminabox.com/shop/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=West
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, it really would just be the adventure. Like the pilgrimage that some made to Iowa a few years ago.
Jock 07
AG
yea the only time I've had westy was when someone brought some back and distributed amongst the group here a few years ago. I'd agree, it's good but nowhere near the hype it receives.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Literally in a tornado and hail warning the day I'm supposed to close on my house in Mckinney and the day before we move to Oregon. Thanks a lot, North Texas. We'll miss you a lot, but certainly won't miss these spring storms.

On a side note, my home insurance in Texas is about $2000/year for a 2% deductible (~$6k-ish)
My home insurance will be $400/year for a $1000 deductible for a more expensive house in Oregon.
dave99ag
AG
Safe travels!

My wife has been stuck on the tarmac at Bush for an hour due to those tornadoes.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
What are y'alls thoughts on St Arnold's new Grand Cru being released next year week?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Made the trip to San Diego and was able to experience the beer scene. Thanks all who had input and recommendations. Had a great time.

Got a flight at Pure Project. Place was packed! Small operation with a huge local customer base and high demand it seemed. Would be surprised if they don't expand somehow, based off of what I saw.

The beers were great, they were able to provide a nice mix of options. The Sunset Crush cream ale with strawberry (left) was unique and well done. Chocosaurus Rex (far right) was a good heavy hitter. Cool label designs and merch there too. They also had this stuffed animal sloth hanging from the ceiling.

This picture is of a double IPA I had at one of the Modern Times taprooms, they had a few! They just opened the outside portion here very recently. Awesome setup, and excellent beers. I noticed a good amount of breweries there served beers in this style glass.

Don't judge, but we went into a hard kombucha place after having lunch at this brewpub Tiger! Tiger! (Which I recommend... and they also had a house-brand brewery for some beers). June Shine was the name of the place. Cool taproom setup. Tried a couple options, this one in the picture had some charcoal in it, which gave it this distinct look. Midnight Painkiller, actually pretty tasty:

[img][img]<br /><br />After hiking around the Torrey Pines reserve, we felt like we deserved a beer. Randomly looked at what was nearby and found this California Wild Ales place. Taproom in a business park, 100% sour beers. Was a great experience as we walked in and were the only customers (initially). Got to spend a while talking with the sole worker on site and learning more about them. Recommend this for sour beer fans if you're in the area. They made everything in fairly small batches, so no telling what would be around. Their tart Meyer lemon sour was my favorite (left).<br /><br /><br /><br />They also had a cool label and sticker:<br /><br /><br /><br />After that, we had some beer and a snack at Gravity Heights, a brewpub operation. Really, really good food and beers. Had a west coast IPA here that was a pinnacle representation of the style.<br /><br /><br /><br />I didn't include everything in this post, just some highlights. All in all was a great trip. Fun to explore a city and beer scene for the first time. Didn't have time to make it to certain places like Lost Abbey, etc. One thing that was great advice on here and from others was that you really need to visit places on a "neighborhood by neighborhood" basis. It is a large area with not always easy transportation between sections.<br /><br />As of right now, for a beercation recommendation, I would rate Asheville higher, but you can't go wrong with either! I mean, I got to spend another afternoon at Torrey Pines on the golf course, and you just can't help but enjoy this view and setting.<br /><br />[/img][/img]
La Fours
AG
I just booked my flights and hotel for San Diego. I will spend a week there for training. I have never been there before, so I am excited to see the city.
jwag
AG
I'll be in San Diego week of June 17th. Thanks for posting, can't wait for some toronado and mikkeller.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Toronado was very near to Tiger! Tiger!. Wish I could see Toronado, but I was glad to go to T!T! and experience something I hadn't heard about before. We actually didn't end up walking as much down 30th there in North Park as we originally sought out to do (where Toronado is).

There are a few breweries within walking distance around that whole area though...June Shine was caddy corner to T!T! and shared a building with 2 other breweries as well. If you happen upon T!T!, then definitely get the loaded up fries, they were great.
dave99ag
AG
I'm digging these smaller crowlers (25oz) that most of the Alaskan breweries were selling. Just the right amount.

lne2011
AG
I prefer 12 oz. crowlers.
Wheatables02
AG
Made it!

dave99ag
AG
No lines?
CDub06
AG
lne2011 said:

I prefer 12 oz. crowlers.
Can I get a flight of 4 oz crowlers?
Wheatables02
AG
Walked right in and out with four - 4 packs. Brother in law did the same with 4 other different beers.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Anyone have any good beer rec's for Paris, Brussels, or Munich? Will be over there for a couple weeks between the three cities next month.

Already have cantillon scheduled in and a couple other bars in Brussels, but I'll take any and all recommendations.
La Fours
AG
There is a bottle shop in Paris but the name is escaping me right now. I'll see if I can google it up.
La Fours
AG
Found it. La Cave a Bulles.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Brussels Beer Project had some good beers. We went to the taproom in Paris. They also have one in Brussels.

https://www.beerproject.be/en/taprooms/

Munich - There are a bunch of awesome bier gardens. Hofbruhaus is the worth the experience; Pork Shank was delicious. Augustiner Keller was my favorite of the ones we went to. We were there during Oktoberfest so unsure the vibe normally.
Robert C. Christian
AG
In Munich check out Augustiner-Keller outside of the Hauptbahnof and the Biergarten at the Chinese Tower in the English Garden. Both are you standard beer options but, when the weather is good, the people watching and atmosphere can't be beat.

In Paris, check out Le Supercoin and La Fine Mousse. Both have great selections and worth a stop.

Enjoy the trip!
Bmac04
AG
Got a new Answer glass in today
La Fours
AG
Notorious H.O.P.
jah003
S
SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!

Thanks Dave! Your box is headed out tomorrow.
Jock 07
AG
Y'all got me in the Belgium mindset tonight
steve00
AG
I bought a bunch of Bruery cans from their store in DC, but then DallasAggie said they distributed to TX, so now I'm just drinking them.
AgEng06
AG
Nice. I just cracked a Bruery can as well...

First Page Last Page
Page 1446 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.