Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,533 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by SoTxAg
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It won't be your piss that's green... but wait until your morning dump.
jah003
S
March Madness details coming tomorrow... prepare yourselves.
dave99ag
AG
MathNewman06
AG
La Fours
AG
So I've heard.
Chipotlemonger
AG
jah003 said:

March Madness details coming tomorrow... prepare yourselves.

Favorite time of the year, I get to help someone get an awesome cellar!

Having a 2018 SPON variant. This is good, but my favorite variants so far have all been the apricot and peach ones.

AggieStout
AG

jah003
S
All right fellow beer threaders... it's time.

The 3rd Annual (or is it 4th) Texags Beer Thread March Madness Contest.

What is it? A chance for you to win a lot of beer or most likely send someone beer. You don't need any basketball knowledge... in fact you'd probably do better if you don't.

The rules:

1. You must be a semi active/active poster on this thread in order to join. If you are lurker and would like to join, you need an active/semi active poster to vouch for you. Remember... you will most likely have to send beer to someone. Don't want to send beer? Don't join.
2. You'll create a bracket through ESPN. Link here: http://fantasy.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2019/en/group?groupID=1221885
Password is: #whalez
Please make sure you use your texags username somewhere in the sign up. Either bracket name or owner name. If someone is signing up that you vouched for please have him/her use the vouchers name in their bracket name... i.e. daveag's wife would be something like "daveag's sugar momma".
3. If you lose (Don't finish in the top 1, 2, or 3... this will be based on how many people enter), you must send a box of beer to a winner. Minimum amount of beer sent is 4 "bombers worth". This could mean a 4 pack, 6 pack, Crowler, fancy barrel aged 12 oz., etc. Hand deliveries and consolidating boxes is encouraged to save on shipping costs.
4. The beer you send should be something the winner can't get in their distro area. Don't feel like you need to send #whalezbro in order to participate. If you think it's delicious and they can't get it... send it.

Questions... left something out... etc. Just let me know.
Hudson2508
AG
In. Thanks Jah.
La Fours
AG
Dammit, I was going to use daveag's sugar momma for my bracket name.
zephyrtexan
AG
Oh heck ya, let's do this again.

dave99ag
AG
streetfighter2012
AG
One of my favorite times of the year. Thanks for setting this up again JAH!
MathNewman06
AG
I'm in.
Wheatables02
AG
In again this year. Hoping to not donate this time around.
AggieOO
I've got a guys trip to Nashville this weekend, so I'm hopping off the wagon and drinking for the weekend. What should I be on the lookout for? I know bearded iris is everyone's jam, but I don't like IPAs, so it doesn't really appeal to me.
AggieOO
AggieStout said:

jah003 said:

Worth the hype... so much depth and so many levels...

Who was it that really wanted one of these but was headed out of town?
yep, it was me.
Robert C. Christian
AG
AggieOO said:

I've got a guys trip to Nashville this weekend, so I'm hopping off the wagon and drinking for the weekend. What should I be on the lookout for? I know bearded iris is everyone's jam, but I don't like IPAs, so it doesn't really appeal to me.

Let MattJaxson tell you the full rundown but, Southern Grist needs to be on your list.
dave99ag
AG
AggieOO said:

Southern Grist was quite good and has options other than IPA.
AggieStout
AG
Difficult weekend. This is needed
jh0400
AG
Not beer related, but I recommend a stop at Nelson's Greenbrier distillery.
CDub06
AG
Corsair Taproom is in the same complex. Perfect!

Seriously though, Bearded Iris should be at the top of your list followed closely by Southern Grist.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bearded Iris is good but I think a little overrated.

Southern Grist always has some great sours and darker beers on tap, either location. Would be my recommendation if you only were able to visit one place.

Craft Brewed is a great beer bar/store for you to try a lot of local and regional offerings, as well as bring some home.
jah003
S
Tuesday March madness update. Sitting at 7 entries... which is enough for a 1st place winner. If we hit 10 we can probably do a 1st and 2nd. I think last year we were over 20 entries.
reesei10
jah003 said:

Tuesday March madness update. Sitting at 7 entries... which is enough for a 1st place winner. If we hit 10 we can probably do a 1st and 2nd. I think last year we were over 20 entries.

What is the final date to enter?
jah003
S
Whenever the brackets lock... Thursday around 11 I believe.
MattJaxson
AG
Bearded Iris has really fallen off over the past 6 months, but they are still riding the hype train. Southern Grist is the must do between the two. If you're looking for additional breweries, Smith & Lentz in East Nashville has been doing a solid job and is more traditional and Tailgate (multiple locations) has stepped their game up lately.

One of my favorite spots to hit is No Quarter. A pinball bar with a good craft beer selection, but also divey enough to sell you $3 Hamm's tallboys. Not sure what part of town you are staying in, but let me know if you're looking for any additional recs.
dave99ag
AG
We're at 10 entries now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I forgot about Smith & Lentz. That would be my second choice as well to recommend.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Cerveceria Patagonia - not a bad place for a post-hike beer.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Awesome
jah003
S
dave99ag said:

We're at 10 entries now.
Currently sitting at 12.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's awesome
ChipFTAC01
AG
Having a Houston Haze in honor of the ITC fire.
Jock 07
AG
Brother is gonna be in Detroit tomorrow, anything of note to grab while he's up there? Never been myself.
First Page Last Page
Page 1427 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.