Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,294 Views | 62649 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by steve00
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A fine morning/early afternoon split between rancor's & beers at petrol followed by some tasties at Brash

jetch17
AG
All aboard while grillin

Connd

Last one before driving back to the real world.
jetch17
AG
Lordy
maca1028

I saw y'all talking about this one, then remembered that I had one in the back of my closet.
txag2008
AG
From jah's MM box. Pretty tasty.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I'm traveling to Jacksonville tomorrow for the bowl game - any beers I should be on the lookout for?
62strat
AG
Stopped by a place in Denver that makes oenobeers; a beer where up to 50% of the sugars for fermentation come from grapes.

Liberati. look it up.

The beer/wine hybrids were fantastic. A stout with cab sauv grapes, farmhouse and saisons with Chardonnay, dubbel with merlot.. etc.

Not just mixing beer and wine; rather, actually fermenting a mash made up of typical barley as well as the juice from wine grapes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's cool, thanks for sharing.
jah003
S
Jason_Ag98 said:

I'm traveling to Jacksonville tomorrow for the bowl game - any beers I should be on the lookout for?
Are you driving? There's a shop in Mobile that has a tremendous selection.
jh0400
AG
We're going to be in Denver in May. I'll check them out as that sounds right up my alley.
Jason_Ag98
AG
I am driving but coming from Auburn, AL so I won't be passing through Mobile. Planning to drive back to Austin on Jan 1 and I'm guessing they'll be closed then.
jah003
S
Jason_Ag98 said:

I am driving but coming from Auburn, AL so I won't be passing through Mobile. Planning to drive back to Austin on Jan 1 and I'm guessing they'll be closed then.
Might be worth calling. It's called Cottage Hill. I was blown away by their selection when we drove to FL a few years ago.
jetch17
AG
Is Spindletap open on sundays?
streetfighter2012
AG
Yeah, I think till 6 or 7
jetch17
AG
Cool, yeah checked FB and looks like taproom is open ... kinda bored, may swing up for a brew and see if they have anything in cans for New Years
Jason_Ag98
AG
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!
jetch17
AG
Welp, had to slam a Juiceton... I'm a ho for that stuff.

Grabbed a couple 4pks of the 'Spruced Up' dipa (only ones they had to-go) ... curious to try later
jetch17
AG
This is like drinking a juicy Christmas tree ... a little off putting up front with the spruce flavor but drinks well after a bit and you get used to it

Jock 07
AG
Headed out to jester king for the first time in a few years hope they have some good **** on tap and to take home with me
Topher17
AG
Jock 07 said:

Headed out to jester king for the first time in a few years hope they have some good **** on tap and to take home with me
They've pulled out several things from their cellar to sell to go this weekend, so you should be able to have a pretty good haul. Don't know if it is still on, but they had Atrial on tap last weekend when I was there.
jh0400
AG
It looks like they've got a few of the wine grape sours, several Spons, CRU-55, and Foudreweizen available to go with a lot of good stuff on tap as well.

https://static.spacecrafted.com/eae6599fef4c4b5d9569bac99e44241e/r/b902c2b24c644b09b2a699fb879f0679/1/BeerToGo_12.29.18.pdf
62strat
AG
jh0400 said:

We're going to be in Denver in May. I'll check them out as that sounds right up my alley.
my brother and wife live near Napa and are big wine nuts. I've had them try wine barrel aged stuff and the like, but it never clicks. They both really liked these creations. A few of these easily tasted more like wine than beer, especially since some had lower carb levels making them closer to still.

If you make it, go during happy hour (m-f4-6); you get two apps (bruschetta, charcuterie board, octopus, etc) and first beer for $6, then half off beers. Hell of a deal.

If you stay after hh is over and have dinner, expect $50/person.

It's Italian.

Lots of talk about this place locally.
jetch17
AG
Slammin some fresh EZ

Chipotlemonger
AG
I've been thinking of a "Year in Review" kind of post for everyone to add their own inputs as we wind down 2018. I'll start with mine and y'all can add yours for some discussion.

Favorite beer: Jester King Vague Recollection
Favorite beer bar: WhichCraft (Mueller)
Favorite brewery to visit: Jester King
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Live Oak or ABW
Style you think you drank the most of in 2018: Pilsner
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018 (say outside of light domestic): Alaskan Brewing Amber
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Brewtorium (Austin) and Zillacoah (out of Asheville)

Edit to add: Most unique or "out there" beer you had: Prairie Double Dunk. That thing tastes like straight OREO frosting!
txag2008
AG
I'll play.

Favorite beer: 3-way tie. Cycle Rare Dos Double Barrel, Treehouse Julius, JK Atrial
Favorite beer bar: dunno
Favorite brewery to visit: Community
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Turning Point
Style you think you drank the most of in 2018: IPAs
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018: Community Mosaic or Two Hearted
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Celestial Beerworks
Most unique or "out there" beer you had: Lollipop Forest
Kyle98
AG
This was a pretty boring year for me, beer-wise, but here goes:

Favorite beer: Atrial
Favorite beer bar: World of Beer Fort Bliss
Favorite brewery to visit: Big Bend Brewing
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Bell's
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018: Founders All Day IPA
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Alaskan (not new, obviously, but we're doing a cruise in May, and I'm excited about visiting the brewery)
Most unique or "out there" beer you had: Shiner S'more (yuck)

dave99ag
AG
It was a good beer year. Finished it off with a trip to Boston recently that included Tree House and Trillium. Those are both Top 10 breweries for me.

Favorite beer: Treehouse Doubleganger
Favorite beer bar: Two little kids equals rarely at a bar, so B-52 is my choice.
Favorite brewery to visit: B-52 (local) / Tree House (travel) / Big Bend Brewing
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Most of my beer purchased this year has been direct from breweries or travel.
Style you think you drank the most of in 2018: IPAs easily, sours is #2
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018: Cigar City Guayabara according to Untappd
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Have a couple trips planned for 2019: NYC, Alaska (in May) and Disney World. Each will have fun opportunities to try more beer.
Most unique or "out there" beer you had: Not sure, but I know it had to have been at our tailgate as we're always bringing out crazy stuff to try.
jah003
S
Where's BSD...? That guy loves end of year lists.
jgh85Ag
AG
Enjoying a Brash Abide right now while smoking a cigar a smoking ribs. Great beer. Good coffee taste without being bitter and a chocolate undertone.
big-ag
AG
Favorite beer: Apple Brandy Eclipse
Favorite beer bar: Cork and Growler (Frisco)
Favorite brewery to visit: Jester King
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Four Corners, almost always have some Local Buzz availabile
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018: Local Buzz
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Planning to get back up to Portland
Most unique or "out there" beer you had: This was the year of the hazy IPA. Went from unique to the expectation in an IPA.
jh0400
AG
Favorite beer: Jester King CRU-55
Favorite beer bar: The Hay Merchant
Favorite brewery to visit: Ingenious
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Saint Arnold
Style you think you drank the most of in 2018: It's going to be close between pale ale and wild ale
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018 (say outside of light domestic): Saint Arnold Pub Crawl
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: The Exchange Brewery in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON was one of the coolest places I've visited. I had no expectations going in, and they blew me away with their beers. I've joined a couple of trading groups up there, and I'm going to try to put together a big trade early next year to get some of their stuff down here.
BSD
AG
I didn't drink much this year but I will say that seeing you guys at the Clemson bottle share and a visit to Weldwerks was special to me. It's good to have a good beer with good people.

Honorable mention to the new RRBC brewery. And the old one. And the mother ****ing Drew Bites at the old one.

Edit: favorite trader is steve00...who totally went above and beyond when I dropped the ball on giving him my new address as the beer he sent ended up going back to Cali when he was moving to DC. I caused a total cluster**** and he saved the day. Some heroes don't wear capes.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Favorite beer: Finally got some Duck Duck Gueze, was excellent
Favorite beer bar: Flying Saucer (It is closest to me)
Favorite brewery to visit: Tie between Weldwerks and Southern Grist
Favorite brewery to buy retail: Founders, not sure I have ever had a bad beer from them
Beer that you think or know you drank the most of in 2018: Brew of H
Favorite new brewery or place you're excited about going forward: Really want to make it out to Turning Point, also have a new brewery opening up called Siren Rock which hopefully will have some good offerings.
Most unique or "out there" beer you had: J. Wakefiled's Juice Box Guy. I didn't know I needed a blue beer in my life until I had this
Jock 07
AG
Apparently they already sold out of a lot of the cellar stuff by the time I got there but was able to grab a few good'uns I think

First Page Last Page
Page 1407 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.