Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,676,133 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by maca1028
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's not much out there except for Big Bend and now Brick Vault. They don't have the most amazing beer, but it's a solid lineup for being pretty damn new. The BBQ there was tasty too.
AggieOO
CDub06 said:

I just hit up Brick Vault a couple of weeks ago for the first time. ...what am I missing?

The Gage is awesome though.
their cream ale is pretty damn solid.

and the bbq is nothing to scoff at.

and then there's the fact that it's all in the big bend region, so it just tastes better for some reason.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieOO said:

CDub06 said:

I just hit up Brick Vault a couple of weeks ago for the first time. ...what am I missing?

The Gage is awesome though.
their cream ale is pretty damn solid.

and the bbq is nothing to scoff at.

and then there's the fact that it's all in the big bend region, so it just tastes better for some reason.
CDub06
AG
I guess I was just underwhelmed on both counts. Plus the service SUCKED. They were too busy watching a replay of a OU vs OSU basketball game. I'll admit, the brisket had some potential, but the grainy crust and unrendered fat is a no-no.

Give me the White Buffalo Bar or a Come & Take It/Big Bend Brewery combo any day. I love my trips to Alpine.
AggieOO
service was fantastic when we were there. We had our dogs with us and sat outside. One of the owners came out to chat. Staff brought out water for the dogs and checked on a us a few times. Dave and mrs dave showed up by chance not too long after we finished eating.

White Buffalo bar is ok, but I don't really get the love for it. The story behind the buffalo is the most interesting part. If I'm going to hang out at a bar out that way, I'd rather be at La Kiva or the bar at the Starlight...but I'm more of a dive bar guy. Plus, the people in Terlingua are way weirder, which makes for better conversation.
tl1127
AG
Sorry for the late response, we're out of the mountains and finally back home. This was by far the best beer festival I've been to. They're always too crowded and in too small of a space, but this one didn't seem as bad with either of those. The lines were a long at first for the most in-demand stuff, but after an hour or so, the lines were mostly non-existent. The check-in process was streamlined and everyone got in very quickly. And don't get me started on the pour list, it was incredible. We will be back (I'm already trying to figure out how I can justify another trip to Greeley just to hit up WeldWerks again!). It was good seeing you Adam, I know it was crazy all weekend, but the work you and everyone else put in really showed.

Now, if Southwest would kindly get my suitcase full of beer back to me soon, I'd really like to enjoy some WeldWerks while smoking meat this weekend.
CDub06
AG
Oh Starlight for sure! I've not been to La Kiva, but was invited to go next time I'm in town. When I'm out there, I spend most of my time in Alpine (sometimes Presidio - yeesh) and really enjoy the town.

I was super pumped to try out Brick Vault and was disappointed for several reasons. Not sure if I'll make a return trip... I'm specifically a fan of the burger at White Buffalo.
AggieOO
Next time you go to presidio, keep driving west on 170 to Ruidosa and hit Chinati Hot Springs. I love that place, but it's so far from everywhere that we never go.
NColoradoAG
tl1127 said:

Sorry for the late response, we're out of the mountains and finally back home. This was by far the best beer festival I've been to. They're always too crowded and in too small of a space, but this one didn't seem as bad with either of those. The lines were a long at first for the most in-demand stuff, but after an hour or so, the lines were mostly non-existent. The check-in process was streamlined and everyone got in very quickly. And don't get me started on the pour list, it was incredible. We will be back (I'm already trying to figure out how I can justify another trip to Greeley just to hit up WeldWerks again!). It was good seeing you Adam, I know it was crazy all weekend, but the work you and everyone else put in really showed.

Now, if Southwest would kindly get my suitcase full of beer back to me soon, I'd really like to enjoy some WeldWerks while smoking meat this weekend.
Thanks for the feedback buddy. It was nice to see you and meet your family.
Robert C. Christian
AG
NColoradoAG said:

What did you guys think of WeldWerks Invitational?
Went to RMNP after the invitational so haven't had a chance to do a write up and MattJaxson already covered most of my thoughts in his post but, I wanted to reiterate how awesome it was. After getting there an hour early and being 200-ish in line I was worried I wouldn't get to my #whalez beers. The check in process was great and as this article states, the lines for both sessions (600+ people) were cleared in 7 minutes. That article also has a really favorable write up so I think it is safe to say WW was a leadoff batter who took a 0-0 pitch outta the park.

After getting our top beers, we hopped around the rest of the time and enjoyed the event. The lines were GREAT, most we ever had to wait was maybe 5 minutes. The selection, holy ****, what a lineup! Can't wait for year #2 but, I can't wait around for tickets since I am sure they will sell out much earlier next year.

Thanks again for the hospitality NCol, it was great to run into you at WW and at the fest.
jetch17
AG
Some Vail brewing Hot Mess following some mountain golf

Back at the house for our last night in beaver creek and killing what's left of the odd13 juice hunter

Heading into Denver tomorrow for lunch & Pliny at Falling Rock, then a stop by Cerebral brewing

AggieStout
AG
Midtown SAHD said:

Thread lurker here with a question. I'm heading to Portland (first time to PNW) at the end of July and plan on going to the Oregon brewers festival. However, what breweries are must see? I know about Deschutes and Rogue, obviously, but which smaller ones should I see?. Any other places we can't miss?. We are doing Willamette as well. So any insight into the area would be appreciated. We just enjoy travelling, being outside, and seeing everything, so any recommendations are welcome.

Great Notion brewing would be a good place to go also.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Miss being able to pick up Odd13 at Sam's.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
jetch17
AG
So far so good ... some good looking dailies too, the Lost Abbey Falling rock is damn tasty

Bmac04
AG
Some Cali goodies this week
NColoradoAG
Staff of Asir was one of the best beers I tasted at the WeldWerks Invitational.
jetch17
AG
Sweet haysoos, I've managed to get a little hazy myself at Cerebral after a hefty sampler and some other hazy pours... really like what they're doing here, and my lord, some nice Denver scenery trotting in

Bmac04
AG
Guess I will open that one tonight then. Haven't heard much about it.
La Fours
AG
What is the area around Spindletap like? And the parking situation?
maca1028
La Fours said:

What is the area around Spindletap like? And the parking situation?

Not the nicest part of Houston, if you're lucky you can get some grilled raccoon off the back of a dudes truck on the median at Little York and Hirsch.
jetch17
AG
COON

HOGS
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Jester King Sacred Vessel

Daaaaamn. This is awesome.
jah003
S
Does not suck...
La Fours
AG
Started my day at the Spindletap release.

5% Tint on draft

Now I'm at B52. Just so happens it's heir 4th anniversary.

A damn good milkshake ipa whose name I forgot.

I'm surprised it isn't more crowded. Pretty much no wait at the bars.

And later tonight it's glow in the dark golf. I'm going to be hungover af tomorrow.
Wheatables02
AG
Roughtail E-Juice - Orange Creamsicle

great juice!
maca1028
Sounds awesome
jah003
S
Fog just rolled in off the lake, 47 degrees... stout weather man.

Proper vacation glassware.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That is an excellent beer.
AggieStout
AG
Sad that this was overfilled which I think led to the taste being off some.
AggieStout
AG
3 beers I have been wanting to try and finally pulled the trigger and picked them up. Looking forward to these maybe when it gets cooler.
AggieStout
AG
Spent the morning and afternoon at the weathered souls release.

Tried the double barrel cavernous with maple and vanilla and the barrel aged art of pastry with vanilla
AggieStout
AG
Still my favorite from them out of the ones I have had.

5 stones doing good things. This has a bunch of flavor to it.

Didn't care too much for this one.
BSD
AG
Happy birthday, LaFours!!!

(Sorry for being distracted on phone yesterday, I was about to lose signal and was trying to find directions since my wife has no idea what "north" means).
La Fours
AG
Lol. Thanks bro. And no worries man.
La Fours
AG
Glow in the dark golf was a lot of fun.
First Page Last Page
Page 1355 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.