Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,644,675 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Chipotlemonger
CollinAB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up some KBS and the complete set of Deconstructed Prairie Bomb tonight. Looking forward to seeing what some of those taste like.
Wheatables02
AG
CollinAB said:

Picked up some KBS and the complete set of Deconstructed Prairie Bomb tonight. Looking forward to seeing what some of those taste like.
Curious. I saw that set for around $39.99 and thought it was way too much. Let me know.
CollinAB
AG
Interesting. I picked up the set at Central Market in Southlake for $25.99. I'll be cracking the Vanilla one first here in just a little bit, so we'll see.
Hudson2508
AG

Must say I'd rather drink bomb and Abraxas is worlds ahead of this. Huna seems to be all Chile and bitterness with very little vanilla. I did hear this year's isn't up to par with previous years though.
txag2008
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Is that the calvados barrel AL? rool:
Yessir. HNIC did me right.

Also this.
CollinAB
AG
Wheatables02 said:

CollinAB said:

Curious. I saw that set for around $39.99 and thought it was way too much. Let me know.
The Vanilla Bomb is really nice. Much sweeter than regular Bomb but in a good way. Saving the rest for another evening, but if this is any indication, this series is gonna be good.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Of course man! Great to meet you. Thanks for the Intrinsic brews as well. Broke out the Lupulin Klouds and Chubby Unicorn tonight and throughly enjoyed both. Lupulin was super smooth. Enjoy the Turning Point!
streetfighter2012
AG
Txag2008 I should have your beers out early this week.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Had a couple afternoon patio beers today. This one was comped by a New Belgium rep. It is called The Hemporer HPA. Brewed with hemp and it was a fun beer to try.

Our honey hole had a ton of haze and IPAs on draft today... also had a Southern Grist IPA called Contact Hive that was stellar.
Absolutely loved Craft Brewed when the rib and I visited Nashville a few years ago. Really cool spot. I bet that place will be stacked when the CBC comes to town.
steve00
AG
Yesterday we rode our bikes down the beach and then to Fathers's office for an office burger. Had a Blind Pig, Pliny and Sucaba on tap, along with a forgettable triple ipa, then tried this Brouwerij West can.

I usually love all their stuff, but this one wasn't my favorite.

Stopped at West 4th on the way home and had a better Brouwerij beer.

Had an Offshoot hazy DIPA at the Library, then finished up with this fantastic peach sour at home.
Jock 07
AG
As pretentious as they may be, that's a damn good burger.
steve00
AG
A lot of things I like could be considered pretentious, so it doesn't bother me. I like that the chef has the cojones to say screw you, eat the burger the way I designed it, or don't eat it. And he's been quite successful.
62strat
AG
Man, 42 breweries are opening its doors in CO in April/May/June.

This pace is unreal. As expected, a few breweries have closed their doors over the last year, I'm sure that number will slowly increase over the coming years.
jh0400
AG
62strat said:

This pace is unreal. As expected, a few breweries have closed their doors over the last year, I'm sure that number will slowly increase over the coming years.

I still struggle to figure out how most breweries make it. I'm sure people still buy "normal beers", but it seems that nowadays it's all about chasing hype, whether it's haze, fruited sours, or barrel-aged stouts.
CDub06
AG
This is a interesting bar topic that I've rolled over a few times...

B52 has been doing new releases every single week. Trendy stuff - Hazy IPAs, Shakes, Sours. But still, go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon you'll see maybe 30-40% of the Lake Conroe folk just sipping their usual Pils, Lager or Breakfast Stout.

In Europe it's been common to have a neighborhood brewhouse. On a Friday night, you go to the local spot and grab a pint of their traditional brew. That's what a lot of breweries have become in Texas. I mean it certainly helps when the hipsters bring out dollies to haul way cases of beer on release day. But I'd guess for the most part in our state, it's patrons that aren't chasing the fads that keep the local breweries chugging along. (Despite how much I judge them when they ask "Do you have anything that tastes like Blue Moon?")

I'm always amazed when I'm somewhere like San Diego and the breweries are packed, not with beer tourists, but locals that call it their local watering hole - even when the beers suck and there's a better one a mile down the road. I don't think the growth is sustainable or that Colorado can support a brewery on every street corner. I just think breweries are evolving into the local pub for many, regardless of how many Double Dry Hopped Vanilla Cupcake Hemp Milkshake IPAs they're churning out.
AgEng06
AG
CDub06 said:

Double Dry Hopped Vanilla Cupcake Hemp Milkshake IPA
ISO, bro.
62strat
AG
jh0400 said:

62strat said:

I still struggle to figure out how most breweries make it. I'm sure people still buy "normal beers", but it seems that nowadays it's all about chasing hype, whether it's haze, fruited sours, or barrel-aged stouts.
But remember, those who chase trends are just a small percentage of people who drink craft beer, who in turn is still a small percentage of people who drink beer. We see a jester king release or whathave you, and are amazed that 200 people showed up. That's 200 people in a metro of a few million. That's 1/100 of a %.

Luckily for most breweries, probably 90% of craft beer drinkers still drink regular/normal beer. Just look at the shelves of Specs or the like. It's a whole lot ipas, stouts, blonde ales, wheats, etc, and your seasonals . like pumpkin, octoberfest, etc.

zephyrtexan
AG
Had a grand old time celebrating a friend's 30th birthday this weekend

As an aside, that Reboog Fraise is an absolute trip. I felt like I was drinking liquid peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwich. Delicious but... a bit disconcerting.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So did you have the Lone Star or that BCBS first?
zephyrtexan
AG
At the same time, homie. Double-fisted that like a champ.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone else remember the dude who dropped a shot of Pappy 23(?) in a glass of KBBS and chugged it?
Probably fake, but still funny.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yes let me see if I can find it... Was hilarious.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

https://instagr.am/p/BDhAG3INTmv

Wow
Found it
zephyrtexan
AG
I'm both horrified and strangely intrigued.
Chipotlemonger
AG
zephyrtexan said:

I'm both horrified and strangely intrigued.

Great synopsis
62strat
AG
I bet it's pretty damn good.. I mean, if all the single ingredients are good, it must be good mixed together.
NColoradoAG
New England IPA's, fruited kettle sours, and barrel aged beers are no longer "trends." If they're not a staple at your brewery you are falling behind.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yep. I'm assuming that's why a lot of these previously hard to acquire BA offerings are now sitting around for months.
NColoradoAG
Lucky #007 said:

Yep. I'm assuming that's why a lot of these previously hard to acquire BA offerings are now sitting around for months.
My statement was related to taproom offerings and the abundance of neighborhood breweries.

Breweries that have continually ramped production of their entire portfolio and increased distribution across the US are another discussion completely.
Wheatables02
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Lucky #007 said:

My statement was related to taproom offerings and the abundance of neighborhood breweries.

Breweries that have continually ramped production of their entire portfolio and increased distribution across the US are another discussion completely.
So much KBS this year....
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Went to the Oskar Blues Boulder taproom for the "Jahvanilla BBA Ten Fidy" stovepipe can release last Friday @ 4:20. Had heard beforehand that there would be "no limits" on the beers that day, so figured they must have made a ton of it, which makes sense with as much of the regular BA Ten Fidy as sits on shelves.

Show up, and there's a short line, but nothing crazy, and the hostess says that another dozen or so people got there for lunch and have tickets to be ahead of the short line. I think-- OK, but no limits means there must be a lot of inventory. Otherwise, why do no limits?

Nope. They had kept somewhere around 70cs at the Boulder taproom for that release, and sure enough, the first guy in line walks out (several times) with 20cs total, rumored to be driving off to another state altogether to re-sell them. By the time the ticketed folks are through, we're told there are about 8cs left for the other 50 or so people in line. Still no limits.

In the end, they would send bartenders to Longmont to pick up another 40cs to satisfy anyone who cared to wait around an hour or so to get a little bit more.

In the end, I think everyone who stuck around got something, but I can't help but wonder what the **** they were thinking over at OB when they "planned" this release. The rum-barrel Death By Coconut release a few months ago was a 4cs limit, and I walked up to the bar after the line was done and got a case and change with no hassle.

Anyone else ever been to a release so mismanaged that could have been super simple?
CDub06
AG
This was Posted on Houston Facebook group:

This guy had a page dedicated to this mule. Allegedly just doing it for the craft community.
jah003
S
So a realease at Oskar Blues on 4/20 in Colorado was mismanaged...? That's shocking...
txag2008
AG
Got in box #4 from mw13. Yellow Rose is always a winner and haven't tried Astrolabe or the Fascinating Bellman. Thanks!

AggieStout
AG
Wow. Why would they let him do that
First Page Last Page
Page 1339 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.