Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,390 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by SoTxAg
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Think I might crack one too.
Kyle98
AG
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Any recs for beer in Miami/The Keys? Going there for a wedding in a couple of weeks.
Bmac04
AG
J Wakefield Brewing
Bmac04
AG
Your eggplant is on the way....

Never thought this would be the title of an email I would receive.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bmac04 said:

J Wakefield Brewing
Thanks. They look good.
Anything in FL worth bringing back? We're flying Southwest so I'll have two wine shippers with me.
dave99ag
AG
Bmac04 said:

Your eggplant is on the way....

Never thought this would be the title of an email I would receive.
Better than "Your bag of d*cks is on the way..."
Inspector Spacetime
AG
How I found two of these in the bottom row of a bomber door is beyond me. Around six years old (I think), no point in waiting much longer to open one! Honestly not a huge fan of smoky scotch, but I appreciate it more in this beer. 15% still tastes like 15% too, but basically this and watchespn are my evening.

BowSowy
AG
I can tell I'm getting older because two of those on a weeknight sounds like a rough morning the next morning for me.
AggieStout
AG
Patiently waiting for BMAC beer posts from Tampa bay beer week. So I can envy all his amazing beers and ask my wife why can't I go next year.
CDub06
AG
I'm actually going to Tampa next week (with my beer hating boss). My days/nights are completely booked (I might get to sleep). I MAY be able to drag him to the Arkane event on Tuesday, but that's all I'm counting on. Second time this has happened... I need to plan better.
Bmac04
AG
If you need any ideas on events let me know.
Bmac04
AG
Pre Tampa Box to get my beer stamina up before the trip.

And finally getting to tick Pliny the Younger. I feel so cheap but at the same time don't care

MathNewman06
AG

Nashville haze.

Frio (pre-name-change) and MattJaxson steered me in the right direction.

I was stuck in the Gaylord Opryland most of the time I was in Nashville last week, but I made it to Germantown one night for Butchertown Hall and Bearded Iris (freestyle rap circle night was an interesting surprise), Southern Grist and Husk another night, and managed to grab some hot chicken on my way out of town.
AggieStout
AG
CDub06 said:

I'm actually going to Tampa next week (with my beer hating boss). My days/nights are completely booked (I might get to sleep). I MAY be able to drag him to the Arkane event on Tuesday, but that's all I'm counting on. Second time this has happened... I need to plan better.

You need to bring back some crowlers from those big brewery's there
AggieStout
AG
Looks like orange juice
Robert C. Christian
AG
Glad to help. Just got back from from Nashville as well. Bearded Iris and Southern Grist were great as always!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Some great choices. For those of y'all that may have came when we played Vandy in football a few years back, the scene really has really grown in a great way since then.
Kyle98
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Some great choices. For those of y'all that may have came when we played Vandy in football a few years back, the scene really has really grown in a great way since then.

I've got friends in Franklin that we stayed with for that game. I'll have to find a reason to visit again.
Kyle98
AG
Haven't made it to any of the suggested bottle shops yet, but picked this up at Ralph's. Forgive the hotel glassware.

La Fours
AG
How was Husk?
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Oh, most definitely could not have drank two of those Paradox last night, only meant to say I found two. Wouldn't want to consume that much of it, even on the weekend. Like I said, it's no easy sipper, and you honestly need 1+ hrs to enjoy it properly. I mainly wanted to see how it was drinking, because it could still go another 4 years according to the bottle-- and I believe it.
MathNewman06
AG
Husk was great, I'd been wanting to try Sean Brock's food for a while.
I had fried chicken livers sort of in the style of Nashville hot chicken, brassicas salad, pork "prime rib" with a sweet potato and pretty amazing peanut sauce, a few pours of bourbon/rye and another bearded iris.
Great food, and the restaurant was really unique, converted from a big old house just south of Broadway.
cc10106
tasty, easy drinker

Jock 07
AG
Love this place
La Fours
AG
Very cool. Ever since watching Mind of a Chef, I've been wanting to try his food too.
AggieStout
AG
My thank you beers came to give to a friend who will be watching my dogs while I'm out of town. Too bad I've never had these myself. Might have to have him open one while I'm around.
CDub06
AG
Man, get him an Applebees gift card and keep those for yourself.
AggieFrankTX
Inspector Spacetime said:

Beer thread discussions tend to focus a lot more on IPAs than Tripel/Trippels
No offense to the IPA folks, but I have never understood this emphasis. I LOVE me a malty beer, and wonder why they do not get the attention of an IPA. I personally think 99% of IPAs are unpalatable drek. In my brewing, I often cut back the hops on many recipes.

Obviously, tastes will vary.
BSD
AG
Obviously
62strat
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

Inspector Spacetime said:

Beer thread discussions tend to focus a lot more on IPAs than Tripel/Trippels
No offense to the IPA folks, but I have never understood this emphasis. I LOVE me a malty beer, and I personally think 99% of IPAs are unpalatable drek. Obviously, tastes will vary.
I drank IPAs exclusively from about '06-'12. Then my palette abruptly changed. Weird coincidence, it happened right when I moved to Denver, and since then I've maybe had a few Plinys and other IPAs a year. Now I'm all belgians, stouts, germans, sours, etc now. And anything barrel aged for the most part, especially wine barrel aged.

Conversely, the wifey started on hefe's and changed over to pale ales and ipas, by way of odell 5 barrel, an esb. It happened right at the same timeline my tastes changed. It was weird. We still both like sours though.
AggieFrankTX
62strat said:

I drank IPAs exclusively from about '06-'12. Then my palette abruptly changed. Weird coincidence, it happened right when I moved to Denver, and since then I've maybe had a few Plinys and other IPAs a year. Now I'm all belgians, stouts, germans, sours, etc now. And anything barrel aged for the most part, especially wine barrel aged.

Conversely, the wifey started on hefe's and changed over to pale ales and ipas, by way of odell 5 barrel, an esb. It happened right at the same timeline my tastes changed. It was weird. We still both like sours though.
I enjoy everything from gose to kentucky common and from stout to Irish red and from dubbel to vienna lager. But I simply cannot abide IPA. Odd, I suppose.
AggieStout
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

62strat said:

I enjoy everything from gose to kentucky common and from stout to Irish red and from dubbel to vienna lager. But I simply cannot abide IPA. Odd, I suppose.

Was the same way. Also happened like 62strat said your pallet just changes. Was strictly stouts and porters. Could not stand IPAs and didn't understand how people like em. Started to try some of these NEIPAs and man they are tasty. Lighter during the summer months to drink. I like that I have expanded into them. Also dabbled into some of the jk sours some but haven't made that jump yet.
jh0400
AG
I'm afraid my palate may have changed. I didn't drink for almost a month when I was in the hospital, and since I got out I've had mostly wine with an occasional beer or bourbon mixed in. For beers, a buddy brought a Temptation over for the Super Bowl, and it was a delicious as ever. In the weeks since I've heard had a Yellow Rose, a Sculpin, a Pub Crawl, and a Brooklyn Lager. I didn't really like any of them. I'm hoping it was something with the medicine I was taking.
BSD
AG
Vaginal implant, huh?
First Page Last Page
Page 1317 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.