Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,716 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by Quincey P. Morris
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of the north Dallas folks been to Union Bear, yet? At 121/DNT. Really great tap list. From the owners of Taverna Rossa and all those restaurants.
Jock 07
AG
Snow day tomorrow so naturally I'm fixin to dome this growler of BBA ten fiddy. Bring on da betus.

AggieStout
AG
It was super good. Good work from prairie on this one.
Geriatric Punk
AG
So sad and a real loss. B-52 is easily my favorite brewery in Texas. He will be missed.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieOO
AggieStout said:

It was super good. Good work from prairie on this one.
i agree. overall, i don't like a lot of what prairie does (just personal preferences), but i thought this one was fantastic.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I know pretty much everyone here hates smoked beers... but I can't wait for this. I love them. (Except for the Shiner one, that was like pouring an ash tray in your mouth).
Label got approval today.
https://www.craftbeeraustin.com/tabc-label-and-brewery-approvals-jan-11-2018/
Scriffer
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Any of the north Dallas folks been to Union Bear, yet? At 121/DNT. Really great tap list. From the owners of Taverna Rossa and all those restaurants.

I looked them up to see if they were related to the old Union Bear that was in West Village, and it turns out it's owned by a guy a year behind me in high school. Same group that owns Taverna Rossa, which we love.

Looking forward to trying it out soon.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Scriffer said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I looked them up to see if they were related to the old Union Bear that was in West Village, and it turns out it's owned by a guy a year behind me in high school. Same group that owns Taverna Rossa, which we love.

Looking forward to trying it out soon.
33 Restaurants has turned out some pretty good places. We probably go to Cadillac Pizza Pub once a week since we live a couple of blocks away.

Union Bear was great and seems like it'll be another success for them.
reesei10
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I know pretty much everyone here hates smoked beers... but I can't wait for this. I love them. (Except for the Shiner one, that was like pouring an ash tray in your mouth).
Label got approval today.
https://www.craftbeeraustin.com/tabc-label-and-brewery-approvals-jan-11-2018/

Here are the beer notes from Live Oak, just to make it easier.

*Now pouring* Grodziskie resurrects the last indigenous Polish beer style to go extinct in the twentieth century. Production ceased in Grodzisk in 1991. It is brewed using only oak-smoked wheat malt and assertively hopped like a pilsner. Even with a low ABV, the wheat malt delivers a full-bodied beer. The original Polish ale yeast strain ferments cold, alongside our lager yeast throughout lagering. Please enjoy this truly rare beer.

OG: 8P ABV: 3.0% IBU: 36
Chipotlemonger
AG

FYI for the Austin crowd
Geriatric Punk
AG
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
jah003
S
Good gravy I absolutely love ABW...
reesei10
jah003 said:

Good gravy I absolutely love ABW...

I need this beer! Any word on when it hits shelves?
reesei10
This is damn tasty!!! First time I trying it.

Thanks again jah!

AgEng06
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
What are your thoughts on that one? I thought it was good, but If given the choice would prefer the original Xocoveza. Nevertheless a fun beer to try!

I'm having a Figlet myself. Really love this latest JK batch of it!
AgEng06
AG
I actually haven't had Xocoveza, but Im enjoying this one. Decent coffee and chocolate flavor, with just a little bit of heat. Not boozy at all.
reesei10
Just FYI. I heard from my brother that Halls in Grapevine, TX has 10 different Wicked Weed Beers. I haven't seen any Wicked Weed here in Round Rock yet.
reesei10
Got a tasty beer from Red Horn that is worth picking up if you are close by. I picked this one up because a guy that was trying (it fell through) to start a new brewery in Georgetown, at the old Moment Cafe location, mentioned it in a post on Facebook, and he was right! A great Beer!!

jah003
S
Had a friend say the same thing today... tried to get me to come out there but could make it. Might try to make it out there tomorrow.
AggieStout
AG
Doesn't sunrise have a bunch
reesei10
AggieStout said:

Doesn't sunrise have a bunch

Note sure. I need to go there. Two kids keep me close to home on beer runs.
steve00
AG
Had some Kern River Chuuurch! yesterday. Very good IPA. Then had these two:

The Frogger was incredible.
AggieFrankTX

Thoughts on this beer? I know, Shiner is essentially BMC these days, but I bought this on a lark, and I found it surprisingly drinkable.
62strat
AG
Shiner is essentially bmc? When did that happen?
AggieFrankTX
62strat said:

They have just gotten huge. You find their beers in the "mass market" section at the store these days.

I must admit that S.Bock has never been BMC to me and that a lot of their newer beers are QUITE good.

In addition to the Rye, the Homespun Cream Ale is very drinkable.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I alway will attribute Grapevine Lakefire, a Rye beer, as the beer that started my trek into craft beer. Had it on a golf course after a playing partner suggested it and bought a can of it for me. I love rye beers. Bet I'd at least like this one from Shiner.

Speaking of Grapevine, are they still brewery-only and not canning? Any of y'all DFW folks head out there much?
Chipotlemonger
AG

Cellared this for a couple years now, this is a hell of a beer from Deschutes!
CDub06
AG
When she couldn't hold she folded. A dissident is here
Escape is never the safest path
Oh, a dissidence. A dissident is here.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Enjoying a fresh Kinetic from Bearded Iris, thanks to MattJaxson!
dixie whiskey
AG
welcoming the end of days blizzard with black butte reserve xxix. tasty. even with the cinnamon and peppers, it has a different feel than most of the mexican-ish chocolate pepper stouts (i'm aware it's a porter) i'm used to. the only other in the series i've had is xxvii, but i love how unique each is. makes me more disappointed we didn't get xxviii last year.

went outside 15 min, can't feel fingers. i advise against the outdoors in general. but if you gotta get out, just remember when driving on ice, jerk your steering wheel violently back and forth with plenty of brake slamming for optimum results.

try not to die, texags
La Fours
AG
dixie whiskey said:

welcoming the end of days blizzard with black butte reserve xxix. tasty. even with the cinnamon and peppers, it has a different feel than most of the mexican-ish chocolate pepper stouts (i'm aware it's a porter) i'm used to. the only other in the series i've had is xxvii, but i love how unique each is. makes me more disappointed we didn't get xxviii last year.

went outside 15 min, can't feel fingers. i advise against the outdoors in general. but if you gotta get out, just remember when driving on ice, jerk your steering wheel violently back and forth with plenty of brake slamming for optimum results.

try not to die, texags

steve00
AG
I just placed my order for a case of cans to pick up at the end of March, as Kernville is only about 3 hours away from me now. There is a strong probability I'll end up with two cases. While I could easily drink them all while fresh, I'm open to trading some if anyone on here is interested.
62strat
AG
AggieFrankTX said:

62strat said:

They have just gotten huge. You find their beers in the "mass market" section at the store these days.

I must admit that S.Bock has never been BMC to me and that a lot of their newer beers are QUITE good.

In addition to the Rye, the Homespun Cream Ale is very drinkable.

Yeungling, New Belgium, Sierra nevada, and boston beer are all bigger than Shiner; that doesn't make them BMC. I don't think anyone considers shiner to be anything like or related to BMC.
BSD
AG
3 hours, sure. But you get to drive thru beautiful Bakersfield!!!

As the crow flies, it doesn't look like you're far away from Sequoia National Park, which is spectacular, but you have to drive back out and around and it's another 3 hours. But still...Bakersfield!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1303 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.