Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,472 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by La Fours
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice job, Oasis Tx. I plan on drinking plenty Mega Modern this summer.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Unfortunately I cannot do either meeting location today Austin guys. Came down with something a few days back and am shaking it off still, thought it'd be fully gone by now! Y'all have fun.
streetfighter2012
AG
jah003
S
streetfighter2012 said:

Any beer threaders looking for 2 lawn tickets for Friday's game? The ticket forum is going crazy with prices, just looking to trade for a 6-pack of beer or maybe a bomber or two. Shoot me an email if interested jra290 at gmail
I think AgEng was looking...
jah003
S
Ok... Change in plans. Austin Meat up will now be at Brass Tap Domain today. Still shooting for 6. Be there.
AgEng06
AG
I found some, thanks man.
AgEng06
AG
I'll be there.
AgEng06
AG
So who all is in on this deal? Me, jah, and La Fours?
La Fours
AG
Yep. With AggieOO as a maybe. I just finished my training for the day and I'm heading back to the hotel. I'll probably uber over to the domain around 5:30.
turfman80
AG
This is nice

txag2008
AG
Tis nice. Was able to snag some in CA last month.
Scriffer
AG
Beer Mail from MathNewman.

Jock 07
AG
First CC brew I'm not very fond of. Glad I only bought a single. And speaking of baseball, any of you Yahoo!'S gonna come up here if we make it?

jetch17
AG

Drinking one before I sell the rest at a markup and cross post on Brash's FB page
maca1028
Speaking of meat up's...BSD, jetch, and I have a regal rye we need to meat over.
jetch17
AG
maca1028 said:

Speaking of meat up's...BSD, jetch, and I have a regal rye we need to meat over.

AggieStout
AG
Man. Didn't check in till now. I would of done brass tap domain. They always have something good.
AggieStout
AG
Any of yall get to try the 512 german chocolate cake porter that brass tap had?

Also Pinthouse is having a huge Firestone Walker event this Saturday. Draft list is crazy good.
18 Firestone Walker Beers on Draft at 11AM -
- XVII 17th Anniversary (2013)
- XVIII 18th Anniversary (2014)
- XIX 19th Anniversary (2015)
- XX 20th Anniversary (2016)
- DDBA (2014)
- Parabola (2014)
- Parabola (2015)
- Parabola (2016)
- Sucaba (2015)
- Sucaba (2016)
- Velvet Merkin (2014)
- Velvet Merkin (2015)
- Velvet Merkin (2016)
- 805 Blonde
- DBA
- Easy Jack
- Pivo Pils
- Luponic Distortion #5
streetfighter2012
AG
jah003
S
Jock 07 said:

And speaking of baseball, any of you Yahoo!'S gonna come up here if we make it?

One of these years I'm just gonna plan a trip and go regardless... We will be traveling up that way (but not until late July).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Hudson,

FYI, you've got beer mail coming your way tomorrow. Again, so sorry for the long delay... I threw a few extra in there since it too so long.

https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?tracknumbers=786830787743
Jock 07
AG
heading to Dayton OH next week for work. never been to OH before. anything I should keep an eye out for? Worth taking a second suitcase to bring stuff back?
AggieOO
AggieStout said:

Any of yall get to try the 512 german chocolate cake porter that brass tap had?
didn't see it on the list.
AgEng06
AG
I don't remember seeing it either, although I didn't specifically look for it.
Bmac04
AG
Hoof Hearted has a double can release this Sunday about an hour and a half away.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
WESTVLETEREN XII RETURNING TO U.S.
62strat
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

WESTVLETEREN XII RETURNING TO U.S.
Westv XII is already readily available on the shelves all over America.. just under a different name
reesei10
Are all Texas folk signing this?

https://texascraftbrewersguild.org/shareyourvoice?platform=hootsuite
lne2011
AG
Here is an article on HB 3287 that is currently sitting on Gov. Abbott's desk:

Small beer makers say bill creates "extortion fee" as they seek Abbott's veto

tldr:
-Beer distributors have donated a lot of money to Texas politicians
-This bill is supposed to keep big beer companies like ABInbev and Coors from buying Texas craft breweries
-ABInbev and Coors get an exemption from this law
-Only impacts Oskar Blues currently

Quote:

In the meantime critics are calling it an "extortion fee" or "dock bump tax" money craft brewers will have to pay to distributors for services they don't want or need. And they say it will immediately stunt investment and growth in an industry that is exploding in Texas and around the nation not exactly the image leaders like to promote when they're urging companies to come partake of the lightly regulated "Texas Miracle" economy.

Abbott's office did not respond to requests for comment. The governor has until June 18 to sign or veto the bill. Otherwise it will take effect without his signature.

Distributor interests, who hold enormous sway inside the Legislature, say the bill is needed to stop big beer companies that gobble up independent craft brewers from taking advantage of relaxed regulations that big brewers don't get under current law.

To keep operating the way they do now, craft brewers who run tap rooms would have to stay small and reject significant outside investment from other breweries. That's because when they reach a certain size producing over 225,000 barrels of beer a year across every premise they or their investment partners own they'll have to pay a distributor to deliver beer inside their own facility.
It's already damping enthusiasm among craft brewers who thought Texas had rolled out the welcome mat for them.

Dallas-based Deep Ellum Brewing Company is one of them. The investment firm Storied Craft Breweries of Chicago bought a 56 percent stake in Deep Ellum last year, and as its portfolio grows, the breweries it invests in could produce more than 225,000 barrels. The fallout: Deep Ellum owner John Reardon is rethinking plans to open another Texas facility.

"This bill all but guarantees that [Deep Ellum] will no longer continue its search for a new facility in Texas. Our plans of additional taprooms [in Texas] are off the table," the brewery said in a Facebook message after the bill passed Patrick's Texas Senate in a bipartisan vote. "It now makes more business sense to build a brewery in a craft friendly state and ship it back than it does to continue investing inside Texas."

While supporters say the bill was necessary to stop global breweries from snapping up craft breweries and circumventing the three-tier system at their tap rooms, the bill that passed actually lets three global breweries evade the new limits at craft breweries they recently acquired.

Karbach in Houston, bought by Anheuser-Busch InBev; Revolver in Granbury, purchased by Miller-Coors; and Independence in Austin, bought by a Heineken-owned subsidiary can all avoid paying distributors the "dock bump tax" at their existing facilities. The mega-breweries also got the right to expand, without being forced to hire distributors, at two new facilities each under the bill.

The Legislature didn't extend the same courtesy to Oskar Blues, which has been producing beer in Austin since June of last year. That makes it the only craft brewery in Texas whose current operations will be negatively affected by the bill, according to both craft brewery interests and the Beer Alliance of Texas. Though not anywhere near the size of an international conglomerate like Anheuser-Busch InBev, the company's product is sold in all 50 states and it has breweries in three states with a combined production that exceeds the limit established in the bill.

So unless Abbott vetoes it, Oskar Blues within a matter of weeks will have to pay distributors to "deliver" its own kegs to its own tap room. Right now, company employees use a dolly to move 20 or so kegs a week from its central cooler to a smaller one next to the tap room. The distance between the two: about 12 yards.

Why the Legislature gave an exemption to three publicly traded beer giants and not Oskar Blues isn't clear.

jetch17
AG
Been saving this for a while, finally got a deal done today I've been chasing for a while ... good to finally hear that cork pop to one of my faves

Jock 07
AG
Bmac04 said:

Hoof Hearted has a double can release this Sunday about an hour and a half away.
Thanks for the heads up. I fly in Sunday evening so looks like I'll miss it but I'll keep an eye out for their stuff in town? Do they distribute? Any other breweries I probably don't know anything about that I should look out for?
Scriffer
AG
Thanks Newman!

MathNewman06
AG
No problem. I drank more than a few of those at Belmont station and their brewpub.
steve00
AG
Damn good and really smoky. Thanks Chipotle
dave99ag
AG
My wife got the news she passed prelims for her PhD and is now clear to defend her dissertation. She also gets to order her Aggie ring! That calls for opening a good beer this evening.
First Page Last Page
Page 1215 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.