Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,677,739 Views | 62651 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Jock 07
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DFH positive contact should be consumed whilst listening to some Deltron 3030
AggieOO
have you tried it yet?
jetch17
AG
Haha nah, the name just made me feel like crankin some Del, though.
AggieOO
I'm interested to see how it tastes. I've read that it tastes like a cross between cider and a wheat beer. I'm not a big cider fan, but it is supposed to be a good mix.

this stuff looks interesting too. As I've said in the past, I'm not an IPA guy, but with the barrel aging, I figured it was worth a shot. Plus, at 10%, it'll kick my ass. Picked it up tonight:

and I got the Schmaltz/Terrapin Reunion Ale '12.

---------------------------------------
http://www.yourbodyisyourengine.com
RRCA Certified Running Coach

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 8/7/2012 9:42p).]

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 8/7/2012 9:47p).]
jetch17
AG
Burton Baton is definitely a favorite
AggieOO
Ranger Creek releasing Small Batch #2.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Just-Released--Small-Batch-Series-No--2-.html?soid=1103464106369&aid=PQ6f4P8fUNo

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 8/8/2012 8:49a).]
62strat
AG
Houstonians, anyone heard of these guys yet?
seems they've been around a little while.. just now seeing the name on facebook though.

http://shuttlecockbrewers.com/

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/8/2012 10:50a).]
TxKng82
AG
AggieOO, I'm not a big IPA guy either but Burton Baton is greatness. It's an English Old Ale blended with an Imperial IPA. Great stuff.

I tried DFH Festina Peach seasonal the other day and it was absolutely horrible.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
DFH Festina Peach

Even the name sounds horrible. Like an STD.
cpscAG06
AG
Burton Baton is my favorite beer. I scored a case from Specs in Houston a few weeks ago.
jetch17
AG
Petrol announced today they will be receiving a keg of XXIV
Green Fairy
AG
Picked up two XXIV and a sixer of Stone Levitation yesterday. The levitation wasnt what I was expecting(not really sure what I had in mind), but was a good beer.
rononeill
could be moonbombing...

quote:
Beer, $800-1000
This 55 percent alcohol blond Belgian ale is meant to be served in small portions, but the potent brew is somewhat upstaged by its fantastical package. The bottle is nestled inside a taxidermy squirrel carcass. The beer, called The End of History, is currently sold out.

62strat
AG
hah yeh that's like 2 years old or something.
jetch17
AG
Petrol Stations latest FB status:

quote:
Deschutes black butte XXIV now on tap, holy shit I want to shrink myself down and do laps in it.
jah003
S
quote:
Petrol Stations latest FB status:

quote:
Deschutes black butte XXIV now on tap, holy **** I want to shrink myself down and do laps in it.

Ha! This is glorious. Makes me even more excited to get a few bottles of this stuff!
62strat
AG
hah dang, it's good, don't know that I'd get excited over it. I wouldn't really get excited over any one particular beer, because there are about 2 dozen that I really really like, so I just stick to drinking those more often than not.

that porter was def. a one and done brew.. too potent to drink all night.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/9/2012 4:26p).]
AggieOO
sweet Deschuetes has homebrew recipes on their website!
62strat
AG
oh whoops, I was thinking of xxiii this whole time..

Aggie00, back on page 93 i mentioned my uncle cloning xxiii; he went straight to website for ingredients. You'll find most brewery websites have most of what you need to formulate a recipe (grains,hops, ibus, og, fg, etc), if not a recipe itself.

looks like dechutes just gives info, not an actual recipe.. their disclaimer "Note: Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!"
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Picked up SS Bombshell Blonde yesterday... I had forgotten how good this beer is on a hot summer day. May need to get a bunch of these come dove season.

Also, I had the Firemans Four Squared on cask last weekend at World Beer Co in Dallas. Very good.
Green Fairy
AG
Picked up another XXIII (not XXiv) at the spring valley specs today. That's a damn good beer....they had 12+ on the shelf. I almost grabbed another but opted for the ranger creek small batch #2 instead.
AggieOO
62 - yeah, saw that. Ranger Creek has theirs online. Definitely seen a number of them with recipes or clues, but its not a given.
La Fours
AG
I'm going to Houston on Monday with the kids to visit my grand parents. I'll be beer shopping with a 6 year old and a 2 year old.
La Fours
AG
Oh and t&p for my wallet. It's going to take a beating.
AggieOO
just went on an unfruitful search for XXIV. guess I'll just go to spec's or sunrise tomorrow.
wessimo
AG
(cross-posted on the tine board)

Homebrewing article in the Chronicle:
http://www.chron.com/life/article/Homebrewing-No-fillers-and-a-barrel-of-fun-3773493.php#photo-3303679

The story is fluff but this guy has a nice setup. Is this one of you? If so tell me where you live and when you'll be on vacation so I can raid your beer fridge:

AggieOO
nice jorts.
La Fours
AG
Does the Specs at Jones Rd and 610 usually have a good selection? I think that is where I'll stop to do my shopping. My grandparents live near 610 and S. Post Oak. So there isn't really a good Specs near them on the way to or from CS.
62strat
AG
quote:
Jones Rd and 610

from galleria to CS, there are 3 along 290. Jersey village, highway 6, and cypress rosehill.. not sure which is biggest. only been to jersey village, and they are pretty good.

There are two in CS, are those no good?

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 8/10/2012 10:38a).]
jh0400
AG
You'd be better off going a little out of the way to the store at Bissonnet and Weslayan.
62strat
AG
that brew stand I'm guessing is starting to be pretty typical these days. Kegs are easy and cheap to come by, and most brewers seem to be very hands on people (not teachers or lawyers hah), and are into the DIY.

now as for his whole garage being beer.. that's a bit above par for the course I'd say!

If he only brews ones beer a month, I don't know why he needs fermentation 4 fridges.. Fermentation is at most a couple weeks, then he could plop it in his walk in to age if necessary.
wessimo
AG
He must spend a ton on electricity alone with his 3 fridges + huge walk-in.
62strat
AG
dang no doubt.. houston garage is no place for a walk-in. He must of had to oversize that compressor.
La Fours
AG
62Strat, the Specs here in CS is pretty good, but Houston stores get a lot more beers than we do. The local distributors are not bringing in the beers because they don't think there is a demand for them. Like New Belgium's Lips of Faith series, we don't get any of them here. It is partially due to the distributors and partially Specs corporate. At least that is the understanding I get from talking with the local Specs beer guys and local bar owners.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
just went on an unfruitful search for XXIV. guess I'll just go to spec's or sunrise tomorrow.

Specs on bissonett and Weslayan had some earlier this week.
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 1791

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.