Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,638,138 Views | 62605 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Crawdaddy
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided that Sculpin and Pliny every night was getting boring, so I threw in something new.
army01
AG
So I missed the Black Friday festivities due to a golf cart incident. Did DFW get hosed on the BCBS & variants?
p-wonk01
AG
army01 said:

So I missed the Black Friday festivities due to a golf cart incident. Did DFW get hosed on the BCBS & variants?

See previous page
La Fours
AG
army01 said:

Uh, details?
Represent830
AG
La Fours said:

army01 said:

Uh, details?

No kidding. You can't just place that piece of information in front of us and not tell the story.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Anyone try the JK Kvass?

I'll bump this in case people missed it from the last page. Curious to get a first hand account of it.
wessimo
AG
I found video of the incident:

62strat
AG
wessimo said:

I found video of the incident:

hah man I still laugh watching this. that blue shirt dude reminds of Walter Sobchak every time in this scene (at 87 seconds.)

army01
AG
HAHAHA...something similar. Have to leave out a few details, some for legal reasons, some because I no longer can recall them, but basically, after the game Thursday night, a group of us were in the neighborhood on the cart. I was rear facing and went off the back. Knocked out cold for a bit -- which earned me a trip to the ER and a CAT scan. Ended up with a concussion and pretty good sized hematoma.

I was not aware of this, but evidently it is common to snore when you are knocked unconscious.
Represent830
AG
army01 said:

HAHAHA...something similar. Have to leave out a few details, some for legal reasons, some because I no longer can recall them, but basically, after the game Thursday night, a group of us were in the neighborhood on the cart. I was rear facing and went off the back. Knocked out cold for a bit -- which earned me a trip to the ER and a CAT scan. Ended up with a concussion and pretty good sized hematoma.

I was not aware of this, but evidently it is common to snore when you are knocked unconscious.
Good stuff. And judging by your handle I'm proud to call you a brother after that story.
BSD
AG
jah003
S
BSD said:

Once again... Your baller status is on point. Did you just email JK and say "hey, I'm coming"...?
BSD
AG
Nope. I took it a step further to guaranty an allocation.

I said I was Bmac's personal assistant.
AgEng06
AG
Finally cracking a 2016 BCBS. As mentioned, it's not the same as previous years, but I still think it's damn good.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Good as ever. Thanks to Reesei10 for picking it up for me along with SPON.

I really like this beer.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Where are you at? Figlet distributed so if you liked it you can probably get more if you're in Texas.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Where are you at? Figlet distributed so if you liked it you can probably get more if you're in Texas.

Yeah. I've had it before, but haven't seen it in my shop in a while. Great beer.
dave99ag
AG
BSD showing up at JK... on a Tuesday!
dixie whiskey
AG
picked up some bcbs, pirate bomb, and dfh breakfast stout. got around to drinking bcbs tonight, I was kind of worried everyone claiming its not on 15's level might cloud my judgement, but i now feel confident it's not just bias, its definitely not on 15's level. had a 15 last week to refresh my memory. 16 is still excellent though. bcbcs coffee is my real **** though, so I really need to find some. some regal too, but after not finding any last year im not too confident in finding it a year later. haven't had a (non infected) bcbcs in 3 or 4 yrs now though.

i am pretty happy with the pirate bomb score as a consolation, I really love that beer and only had 1 left. dfh breakfast stout is really really good as well. quite a bit different from founders and the rest with maple syrup, whatever tf they call that Yankee pig snout sausage (the name escapes me), etc. kinda really hoping breakfast stouts become the trendy thing this winter.

any sightings of the founders vanilla choco blueberry bba stout near nw houston? really wanting to try it the more I hear about it.
cc10106

Stopped at B-52 on my way back to the tine on Sunday after missing all the Black Friday fun, etc. The pina colada and blueberry sour saisons were tasty. Looking forward to the Brash collab and other future releases.
jetch17
AG
The upcoming Brash collab with B-52 does sound interesting

Quote:

We've been keeping this a secret but we're pretty f***in stoked. It's massive and it's barrel aged. Support your independent local breweries. H-town love.

p-wonk01
AG
I'm headed to the greater Portland, OR area next week for work. I've been multiple times and tend to drink my way through the area in the evenings when able. This time I'm "learning" a coworker the market so my time will be at a premium, but of course I still plan to have 1-100 beers while there.

Unfortunately I'm missing the Winter Ale Festival (dba Holiday Ale Festival) this time by a few days....it was a great time many moons ago.

I just wanted to throw this out there and get opinions of any new brewpubs/breweries/tap houses/bottle shops that others will suggest. I've been to many of them, but am always looking to find something new. Any new releases anyone knows about up there?

New baby + work = not my usual time to research

Rule #1 (baby girl)

La Fours
AG
Congrats man. I have nothing else to offer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Congrats wonk, y'all made a cute baby
Represent830
AG
Congrats! Not sure which ones you go to but I really like Upright. I think my favorite brewery now is DeGarde but that's obviously a little ways out.
dave99ag
AG
Congrats! Be careful if you ever bring her down to CS. My 7mo old son is a flirtatious sun-of-a-gun.
corndog04
AG
Congrats!

As far as new releases, Deschutes has 2016 Dissident out already and might have The Abyss + variants by the time you are there. Slight chance you can find some Pelican Mother of All Storms around - I struck out looking last week when I was in town, but if you head to the coast at all I bet they have some at the brewpub.

As far as newer-ish brewpubs, here are ones off the top of my head:

10 Barrel in downtown. Like Deschutes, they are based out of Bend but they still have a pretty solid Portland facility. They are InBev now just FYI.
Double Mountain in SE Portland. Haven't been here yet myself, but heard good things. I've been to their main brewpub in Hood River a number of times and always enjoyed the beer and food.
Ex Novo: Smaller place, but good food and beer. If you've never seen/toured Widmere's production brewery you should do that as well while in this part of town.

Other thoughts:
If I remember correctly you are a fan of Cascade. Check out The Commons in the same neighborhood if you haven't been there before.
The Upper Lip is on my list of go-to spots when I visit to try to find rare stuff on tap. Had some Brewfist/Prarie Spaghetti Western and Rodenbach Caractere Rouge there last week.

We moved back to Texas earlier this year, and in the year leading up to that settled down quite a bit with a baby of our own so I've fallen behind a bit in the scene up there. There are a lot of new places that opened within the last couple of years that I haven't gotten to check out yet.

jah003
S
Crapton of BA Ten Fidy at the Lakeline HEB in Austin if that's your thing...
jh0400
AG
corndog04 said:

Slight chance you can find some Pelican Mother of All Storms around - I struck out looking last week when I was in town, but if you head to the coast at all I bet they have some at the brewpub.

I have nothing to add other than stating that Pelican is near the top of my list of favorite breweries to visit. The view from their patio is awesome.

AggieOO
jah003 said:

Crapton of BA Ten Fidy at the Lakeline HEB in Austin if that's your thing...
if there's a crapton, i'll probably pick another one up tonight when we are grocery shopping. Thanks.

there's a case of BCBS at total wine lakeline if anyone is still looking. I'm sure most people found it easily, but I was out of state for a week. Grabbed a couple for ****s and giggles.
AggieStout
AG
Red horn in Austin released a list of taps for their dark side of the wall. They will have black butte 28 on tap if anyone in town is interested in trying it. Since the bottles never made it to Texas. Starts Dec 9th.
corndog04
AG
It's right up there with Solera for me.

p-wonk01
AG
jh0400 said:

corndog04 said:

Slight chance you can find some Pelican Mother of All Storms around - I struck out looking last week when I was in town, but if you head to the coast at all I bet they have some at the brewpub.

I have nothing to add other than stating that Pelican is near the top of my list of favorite breweries to visit. The view from their patio is awesome.

I've taken a guys trip to the Portland area several times over the past 6 years, and we ALWAYS make it a point to stop by Pelican. It's out of the way, but well worth the trip. A little Tillamook Cheese and Mo's Chowder for good measure. They have great beer in a no stoplight town. I wish I could relay to you the awesomeness of sitting on the back porch....drinking a hearty beer with the cool breeze coming in off the Pacific....and the sun sets. It's almost beer Heaven.

Here is our view:

La Fours
AG
Is that where Goonies was filmed?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I recently applied for a job in Colorado Springs. It's by no means a sure thing but what kind of beer options would I have available there?
First Page Last Page
Page 1081 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.