Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,279 Views | 62479 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by wessimo
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our view from March.

p-wonk01
AG
La Fours said:

Is that where Goonies was filmed?
Nice eye...but not this one. The rocks you see when he holds up the medallion are actually in Canon Beach just north up the coast. This one is also called Haystack Rock and is very similar to the other one. It's about a mile out to shore, which will give you an idea of how big it is.

Yes....admittedly we looked up Goonies filming locations and did stop by many of them (don't judge). Most of the shots are in Astoria, OR (very northwest tip)...their house, dad's work, jail, and several car chase scenes. The lighthouse (built for movie and not there anymore) and many of the bike scenes were in a state park nearby. Also some in northern Cali.

Funny enough the elementary school for Kindergarten Cop is literally 100 yards away from the Goonies house.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
La Fours said:

Is that where Goonies was filmed?
That's Cannon Beach. Similar looking rock though. Only a couple of hours north.

p-wonk01
AG
jh0400 said:

Our view from March.

They had tables outside there? Perhaps they do this during the busy season since it's a beach town. One of the best parts was that it was out of the way and a well kept secret. I don't think so anymore
p-wonk01
AG
dave99ag said:

Congrats! Be careful if you ever bring her down to CS. My 7mo old son is a flirtatious sun-of-a-gun.
Hmm Aggie family....12th man, 2 stars...not a poor.....this could work
jh0400
AG
There were three or four tables outside. It wasn't really busy when we were there.
p-wonk01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Congrats wonk, y'all made a cute baby
You my fish 'ol lady?
corndog04
AG
Pelican opened up another brewpub in Cannon Beach recently too. More convenient from Portland but I doubt the view is as nice. They also have a new production facility in Tillamook with a tap room. You could have worse days than a tour of the cheese factory followed by de garde and pelican beers.
62strat
AG
dave99ag said:

Congrats! Be careful if you ever bring her down to CS. My 7mo old son is a flirtatious sun-of-a-gun.
I was picking up my kid the other day (2 year old), and one of his female classmates walked up to him and checked behind his diaper.. like pulled his pants and diaper away from his back and looked down at his butt crack.

I thought to myself, well that would be interesting if adults did that! hah. "Whatcha wearing today?? nice!"

AggieStout
AG
You guys made me want to take a trip back to Portland to see this place. Last time I was there I visited a few brew pubs ( i believe bailey's tap room was one) and a lot of gentleman's establishments.
p-wonk01
AG
A few more shots from our last trip to Pelican! I love going here during the Winter when no one is around. There is a really nice place to stay across the street, Inn at Cape Kiwanda, and plenty of great hiking trails nearby.

AggieStout
AG
hennyj15 said:

I recently applied for a job in Colorado Springs. It's by no means a sure thing but what kind of beer options would I have available there?
All the amazingness that Colorado breweries have to offer. Avery, Great Divide, Breckenridge are all short drive away. Then there is a ton more that around Denver and Boulder
62strat
AG
AggieStout said:

hennyj15 said:

I recently applied for a job in Colorado Springs. It's by no means a sure thing but what kind of beer options would I have available there?
All the amazingness that Colorado breweries have to offer. Avery, Great Divide, Breckenridge are all short drive away. Then there is a ton more that around Denver and Boulder
yeh I'd say you have, oh, a few thousand different beers to chose from.

Hah, for real, what kind of question is this!?
p-wonk01
AG
corndog04 said:

Congrats!

As far as new releases, Deschutes has 2016 Dissident out already and might have The Abyss + variants by the time you are there. Slight chance you can find some Pelican Mother of All Storms around - I struck out looking last week when I was in town, but if you head to the coast at all I bet they have some at the brewpub. I have a 6 year vertical of Abyss and was hoping to enjoy some at their Bond Street tap house, but it's now released in mid-December. Sucks. I still plan to stop by for some Dissident

As far as newer-ish brewpubs, here are ones off the top of my head:

10 Barrel in downtown. Like Deschutes, they are based out of Bend but they still have a pretty solid Portland facility. They are InBev now just FYI. Been to the one in Bend before. It was good quality beer, though I've heard there was a backlash when they sold to IMBEV or whoever

Double Mountain in SE Portland. Haven't been here yet myself, but heard good things. I've been to their main brewpub in Hood River a number of times and always enjoyed the beer and food. You no doubt have had the great pizza then! I have also been to the one in Hood River, along with Full Sail (now I know why they call it that), but not the one in town

Ex Novo: Smaller place, but good food and beer. If you've never seen/toured Widmere's production brewery you should do that as well while in this part of town. Never tried this...may need to!

Other thoughts:
If I remember correctly you are a fan of Cascade. damn straight Check out The Commons in the same neighborhood if you haven't been there before. I haven't. Will do if I can
The Upper Lip is on my list of go-to spots when I visit to try to find rare stuff on tap. Had some Brewfist/Prarie Spaghetti Western and Rodenbach Caractere Rouge there last week. last week....in town still and want to grab a beer or 5?

We moved back to Texas earlier this year, and in the year leading up to that settled down quite a bit with a baby of our own so I've fallen behind a bit in the scene up there. There are a lot of new places that opened within the last couple of years that I haven't gotten to check out yet.

NColoradoAG
AggieStout said:

hennyj15 said:

I wouldn't call Avery a short drive from the Springs. It'd be two hours in good traffic.

Great Divide is meh,

We all hate AB/In-Bev so Breckenridge is out.

All the good beer is north of Denver.. I'd make sure you get an EZ-Pass.
p-wonk01
AG
NColoradoAG said:

AggieStout said:

hennyj15 said:

I wouldn't call Avery a short drive from the Springs. It'd be two hours in good traffic.

Great Divide is meh,

With the exception of Crooked Stave of course
NColoradoAG
p-wonk01 said:

NColoradoAG said:

AggieStout said:

hennyj15 said:

Great Divide is meh,

Crooked Stave is SOOOOO 2014
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Is there Pliny in the stores? I might have Yellow Rose withdrawals if I can't find an equal IPA.
NColoradoAG
hennyj15 said:

Is there Pliny in the stores? I might have Yellow Rose withdrawals if I can't find an equal IPA.
There are about 10 regularly available pale ales/ipas/dipas better than Pliny available on shelves. If Pliny is your thing, it comes around about once a month.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
NColoradoAG said:

hennyj15 said:

There are about 10 regularly available pale ales/ipas/dipas better than Pliny available on shelves. If Pliny is your thing, it comes around about once a month.

Actually I've never had a Pliny but the way people talk about it on this thread made me think it would be my go to replacement if it was available.
NColoradoAG
hennyj15 said:

NColoradoAG said:

hennyj15 said:

Actually I've never had a Pliny but the way people talk about it on this thread made me think it would be my go to replacement if it was available.
You won't have any trouble trying it if you're in Colorado. It's on draft a lot. Bottles come around, but lot's of liquor store owners are stupid about it. Particularly one of the shops in the Springs.
maca1028
Making the drive from Cannon Beach to Tillamook then to Pelican brewing was my favorite part of our trip up there last year. Love Oregon!
62strat
AG
p-wonk01 said:

NColoradoAG said:

AggieStout said:

hennyj15 said:

Great Divide is meh,

black project, dry trve, dock, station 26, spangalang, resolute, fermaentra.. to name a few not north of Denver!

I'm pretty sure falling rock has Pliny 365... so if you're dead set on having it, go there.
Jock 07
AG
Just moved from the springs and loved my time there. As has been previously mentioned not a ton of great options there as far as breweries. There's a ton of ****ty breweries in town. Honestly the only ones I'd consider bothering with would be trinity but it's run and full of pretentious *******s who think their beer is a lot better than it actually is. Depending on what side of town you're living on paradox up in divide isn't too bad of a drive. Josh from the local beer bar, Brewers republic just opened a brewery in old Colorado city called Cerberus. It opened like a week or two after I left town so can't vouch for it but Josh knows his **** Andy honestly Brewers has kind of tanked after the ownership change and Josh leaving.
For stores that carry Pliny veterans, coaltrain, and cheers are your options. It hits town ~once a month on a Thursday. Follow veterans on Facebook to see when it drops and then swing by there or cheers. I always had the best luck at cheers as they never announced it and they keep it in the back. J&K on powers was always in my rotation as well and was the closest to me as I lived up in falcon.
Another beer bar to check out is front range BBQ, good beer, ****ty BBQ. they always have FW anniversary on tap during their anniversary party each year and get all the Barrelworks stuff as well. They also have Pliny on tap maybe once every other month or so. They post their taps on their app and keep it up to date. Also Brewers keeps their tap list updated on their site brewersrep.com.
Hope this answers some of your questions. I miss the springs every day and even more so now that it's ski season again. I plan on moving back hopefully after I'm done here in Omaha and also kept my house there which I'm renting out.
Let me know if you have any other questions about the springs, beer or otherwise
Jock 07
AG
Oh yeah also I probably like fresh yellow rose better than Pliny as well.
Jock 07
AG
Oh and if you want crooked stave be sure to drink it somewhere other than the source for ~2/3 the price.
corndog04
AG
p-wonk01 said:

corndog04 said:

The Upper Lip is on my list of go-to spots when I visit to try to find rare stuff on tap. Had some Brewfist/Prarie Spaghetti Western and Rodenbach Caractere Rouge there last week. last week....in town still and want to grab a beer or 5?

Nah, had to get back to Houston before I went broke. Brought back some goodies with me:

Had to leave a couple more collages and pinot suaves behind with a friend to pick up next time. Had I read this thread more while I was up there I would have skipped the Collages and loaded up on this year's Black Butte, I had assumed Collage would be hard to get in Texas and Black Butte easy but looks like it will be the opposite.

Edit: Anyone had issues with seal quality on crowlers? One of the ones I had in my wine check bag sprung a slight leak on the airplane trip back. It was in the middle of the bag and very well protected and wouldn't have received any direct impacts. Had to drink it flat and warm shortly after taking the picture above.
Represent830
AG
Double Mountain was awesome. I loved Hood River. We hiked a trail on our way out there and was gorgeous. Then went over to Logsdon afterwards.

If you need some good food, you have to go to The Waiting Room. The fried oyster hash was one of my top 5 meals of all time.
Post removed:
by user
BSD
AG
I still haven't gotten around to getting BCBS. If yall see any in Houston, please let me know. I doubt anyone has coffee left but I think I've got enough from last year to get me thru to next Black Friday.
jetch17
AG
ive got 3 extra regulars you can have towards your hoard
Post removed:
by user
BSD
AG
jetch17 said:

ive got 3 extra regulars you can have towards your hoard
thanks homie.
BSD
AG
jayelbee said:

I grabbed a couple of plain and I've seen a couple here and there over the last few days, but I'd love to get a taste of Regal rye. Unfortunately, I'm not hardcore enough to camp out or be on someone's speed dial to get a chance at it. I may have to just buy one online.
I really enjoyed the Regal when I had it in Chicago last year. I only have one at home. Speaking of Chicago, I'll be there next weekend...but with my son. I'll still try to sneak out to find a bottle of Prop at a bar.
Represent830
AG
I've never had anything outside of regular BCBS. Anyone got extras of anything we can work something out for?
First Page Last Page
Page 1082 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.