Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,639,614 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by La Fours
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Helgs, the PDX guys (Spartan and HBC) are sending a case or so of Rogue Voodoo Ale down to me in Houston. I'll be buying it up front to keep it easy for them and then distributing it out to those that put in orders.
I'm hoping that everyone is located in Houston or comes to Houston often, as that would make it easier on me to pass them out. We could even do a little tasting at a local bar if we can fit that in everyone's schedule. If there is significant interest outside of Houston, that would need to be addressed with Spartan and HBC, as that would be out of my hands.
AggieOO
i'm in austin. i'll be at the KU game in a few weeks if anyone is going to hand it off. won't be in houston again until mid-jan.
helgs
AG
Well, I don't plan on being in Houston any time soon, so I guess I'm out.
spadilly
S
i can coordinate with jetch if need be to get ours
62strat
AG
i saw
snow day
mentioned earlier...

seems pretty tasty on a cold night by the fire!
BSD
AG
Guys, don't get me wrong, I don't mind holding a few bottles for awhile. That's no problem. It would just be impractical for me to have a case of beer destined for Dallas when I won't be up there for a few months, and then trying to coordinate the distribution over the course of a 3 day visit. So if you don't mind me holding your beer, I'm good with it. But if there was solid interest from the Dallas guys and someone wanted to take care of taking delivery and passing out the beers, talk to HBC.
Stoli7
When do u think you will have the beers, a few weeks?
hbc07
AG
odb, jetch, nervy, 2 isn't going to be any more of a burden than 1 to be honest. but since what you last said is one, unless i hear otherwise in an hour or two, thats what i'm going with.

stoli-i'll ship when bsd wants it (i assume once tx temps drop some)

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 10/27/2011 1:00p).]
713nervy
AG
Bump us back to two then. I just didn't want to make the burden any larger.

Who can I send money to?
AggieOO
quote:
(i assume once tx temps drop some)

great, we'll never get them.
hbc07
AG
the beer is bought.
BSD
BSD
AG
"great, we'll never get them."

Yeah, the Voodoo's, 5 cases of Russian River, and 82 bottles of wine are on weather hold for me. I might have to break into my reserves.
Andy07
AG
Managed to find some Clutch from the Lips of Faith series at the Kroger on Sheperd&11th. Still a few bottles left if anyones interested.
jetch17
AG
quote:
Yeah, the Voodoo's, 5 cases of Russian River, and 82 bottles of wine are on weather hold for me

Randy03
AG
Missouri game on the Slingbox
Kloster Andechs - Vollbier Hell
my starting beer.
hbc07
AG
Started out with black butte porter and waffles for breakfast at the bar to watch the game. Switched to Deschutes jubilale, also a good breakfast beer. Dark and a nice touch of spice, with a little bitter aftertaste,
713nervy
AG
Iirc I didn't like jubilale very much. Tried it last fall, I think.

And the term 'breakfast beer' made me lol. You guys are awesome.

[This message has been edited by 713nervy (edited 10/29/2011 1:29p).]
Randy03
AG
Since then had a

Hacker Pschorr - Muenchener Hell
Kloster Andechs - Spezial Hell
Dublin
AG
Andechs
BSD
AG
Just for home from a few days in Cal. It was a family trip so we didn't go to Santa Rosa/Healdsburg but I did score a few beers at Whole Foods to bring home.

jetch17
BSD
AG
Ok Rogue Voodoo buyers, HBC has been paid so I'll be checking the weather and we will let you know when it ships!

Many thanks to HBC!

jetch17
jetch17
AG
Being Halloween and all, i cracked a Pumpkinator for the first time tonight.

Its definately an acquired taste, but good for a stout, definately pumpkinpie-esque. A little more alcoholy in taste than i was expecting, but good for sippin' when it gets cold outside or moreso around the holidays.

hbc07
AG
I cracked open a pumpkin beer for halloween also. delicious. can taste a lot of the pumpkin pie type spices (especially cardamom).

they also grew their own hops and pumpkins for it.

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 10/31/2011 10:39p).]
jetch17
AG
that looks better
helgs
AG
quote:
they also grew their own hops

Must be climate controlled, because south Texas is NOT the ideal environment for hops.
helgs
AG
BSD, I would do nasty things to try a Pliny some day. GD TABC keeps me from being able to buy it online from stores that do sell it. Nothing short of getting on a plane and flying to Commie-fornia to get some.
hbc07
AG
quote:
Must be climate controlled, because south Texas is NOT the ideal environment for hops.
apparently with the combination of climate and volcanic soils, oregon is the ideal environment for growing anything.*

*according to my crazy neighbor

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 11/1/2011 10:14a).]
army01
AG
Helgs...it is a bit steep, but you can watch ebay for some of the beers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Beer-Russian-River-Brewing-Pliny-Elder-Act-Fast-/200670200556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8e042ec
BSD
AG
$18 for Pliny???? Wow, and that is without shipping. And people are actually paying that price to him! I paid $4 each. Helgs, let me know if you are ever in Houston, I'll crack some open.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 11/1/2011 11:05a).]
62strat
AG
quote:

Rogue is in oregon.. hop country.

quote:
GD TABC keeps me from being able to buy it online from stores that do sell it. Nothing short of getting on a plane and flying to Commie-fornia to get some.
that's what i did. and it was worth it. Had it at toronado pub.
You can get it all over colorado though. and WA, OR, and PA

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 11/1/2011 1:35p).]
spadilly
S
Speaking of Oregon, I grabbed the last sixer of Deschutes Hop Trip I saw at Specs yesterday.
Amazing pale ale.

available on a limited scale from Oct to Dec. What's special about it? They pick the hops and have them thrown into the kettle within four hours. Very fresh, tasty beer.

to be completely honest, Deschutes may be my favorite brewery right now. Everything they put out is money.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 11/1/2011 1:36p).]
spadilly
S
Also, for those Maui Brewing fans in Houston, I found Bikini Blonde at Central Market late last week.

First time I have seen anything other then the 3 standard Maui brews here in Texas. (mana wheat, coconut porter, big swell ipa)
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.