Why are some outfits all-male and how were they chosen?

25,628 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Talon 07
Trident15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCRebel13 said:

Not only that, but this new S2 first sergeant is from an outfit that's never been integrated and you're putting him into an outfit that is integrated with peers he doesn't know and expecting him to succeed. Likewise for this Lindsay moving to E2 and expecting her to succeed in an outfit about to be integrated alongside peers who have been apart of an all male outfit and choose to be in an all male outfit when they joined the Corps. Is this new E2 first sergeant going to go through Mascot training? Is she going to learn the operation orders and procedures that the entire outfit has learned regarding the mascot for the University? Everyone in E2 needs to know it and now there's an individual in the outfit that has zero training on that matter and now she's expected to lead the charge towards integration. Still curious why the young men in E2 are finding this out on social media. I'd love an answer to that one.

Completely unrelated to the issue of integration and how the outfit was informed but it's not the first time a non Rebel has been put into the outfit as leadership. It happened during my time in the Corps, not sure how it worked out from the angle you're speaking from (he never went through mascot training) but it has happened before. I can't really relate to the issue seeing as I'm from as integrated outfit but just thought I'd add that.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Trident15 said:

JCRebel13 said:

Not only that, but this new S2 first sergeant is from an outfit that's never been integrated and you're putting him into an outfit that is integrated with peers he doesn't know and expecting him to succeed. Likewise for this Lindsay moving to E2 and expecting her to succeed in an outfit about to be integrated alongside peers who have been apart of an all male outfit and choose to be in an all male outfit when they joined the Corps. Is this new E2 first sergeant going to go through Mascot training? Is she going to learn the operation orders and procedures that the entire outfit has learned regarding the mascot for the University? Everyone in E2 needs to know it and now there's an individual in the outfit that has zero training on that matter and now she's expected to lead the charge towards integration. Still curious why the young men in E2 are finding this out on social media. I'd love an answer to that one.

Completely unrelated to the issue of integration and how the outfit was informed but it's not the first time a non Rebel has been put into the outfit as leadership. It happened during my time in the Corps, not sure how it worked out from the angle you're speaking from (he never went through mascot training) but it has happened before. I can't really relate to the issue seeing as I'm from as integrated outfit but just thought I'd add that.

Nathan Pruthi is an example I believe you're considering and I had the same issue with him as I do this new individual. Nathan, I believe, went through some very basic mascot operational training (or he didn't). Fact of the matter is, this was very poorly planned and implemented and when there is a E2 Rebel as first sergeant of another outfit (which is integrated) , it makes zero sense as to why he is not the first sergeant of the outfit he grew up with (that until now was not integrated) , understands, and with peers he knows he can work with. Not sure how you expect him or her to succeed.

E2 is going to be another K1 that loses its identity because of this moment here.

Fact of this matter is, new people will be forced to come in and help this transition and train new, incoming female Cadets. Male and female. None of which have any kind of understanding of Reveille, the procedures surrounding her, or the operational day to day matters that take up so much time for the sophomores. Not sure how a 1stSgt that has not gone through that training or that education, can aid the sophomores under their command to deal with such a high task.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
To top it off, the moment anyone of them says "It's just a dog" is the very moment it's clear they have zero understanding about E2, it's philosophy, it's culture, identity, and the mascot herself.

That's when the outfit loses its identity.
champagnepapi
CT20unkown said:

Funny since I had different expectations when joining the corps than when I choose to serve...I at least had the choice to be amongst other men for my Corps experience. Why? Because that's the environment I wanted to spend my college years in. Doesn't mean I have anything against women, it just means that I chose not to get involved with all the BS that comes with life in an integrated outfit.

I mean holy **** dude, I chose to leave a certain non integrated outfit because I had other intentions for my career and wanted my Corps experience to better reflect that.

Also nothing wrong with a "20th Century mindset"

It's the only thing preventing the madness that is millennial thinking from completely destroying this organization and our country.

Also in response to GRam,

You mentioned how y'all pick the best possible candidate for these leadership roles. So what you're telling us is that this girl was a better fit to be E-2s 1st Sgt than E-2s current guidon, who got pulled for 1st Sgt for S-2? I get you want to integrate RebelE to "be in compliance with Title IX" but why not just open up the outfit to class of 2021 next year?

RIP RebelE

Lol...."there is nothing wrong with a 20th Century mindset"......?

Man life is going to be rough for you after you graduate. I'm sorry that you only want to be surrounded by other dudes brah.

Girls aren't bad man. I promise!
t_J_e_C_x
AG
champagnepapi said:

CT20unkown said:

Funny since I had different expectations when joining the corps than when I choose to serve...I at least had the choice to be amongst other men for my Corps experience. Why? Because that's the environment I wanted to spend my college years in. Doesn't mean I have anything against women, it just means that I chose not to get involved with all the BS that comes with life in an integrated outfit.

I mean holy **** dude, I chose to leave a certain non integrated outfit because I had other intentions for my career and wanted my Corps experience to better reflect that.

Also nothing wrong with a "20th Century mindset"

It's the only thing preventing the madness that is millennial thinking from completely destroying this organization and our country.

Also in response to GRam,

You mentioned how y'all pick the best possible candidate for these leadership roles. So what you're telling us is that this girl was a better fit to be E-2s 1st Sgt than E-2s current guidon, who got pulled for 1st Sgt for S-2? I get you want to integrate RebelE to "be in compliance with Title IX" but why not just open up the outfit to class of 2021 next year?

RIP RebelE

Lol...."there is nothing wrong with a 20th Century mindset"......?

Man life is going to be rough for you after you graduate. I'm sorry that you only want to be surrounded by other dudes brah.

Girls aren't bad man. I promise!
Yeah, that **** isn't what his problem is. Nor is it any of ours.
Chips2003
AG
JCRebel13 said:

To top it off, the moment anyone of them says "It's just a dog" is the very moment it's clear they have zero understanding about E2, it's philosophy, it's culture, identity, and the mascot herself.

Well, to be fair...

It's just a dog.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Chips2003 said:

JCRebel13 said:

Well, to be fair...

It's just a dog.

I always laughed at people who would say something like that, and then immediately lose their **** at some fish who walked to close too their Guidon. The mascot of the university is just a dog, yet their stick and flag is treated like the Ark of the Covenant.
TangoMike
Jesus there are some whiny *****es in this thread. Be a man - do something. Quit in disgust. Become the commandant. Start your own, new fraternity for dogs. Move to central Asia. Just stop with the teeth gnashing and wailing on the ****ing internet
rebel06
AG
Most of the E-2 guys posting on here are former members so your suggestions to quit, start an off campus group, etc. aren't going to happen. Nothing wrong with us discussing our frustration of the recent events. If it bothers you that much, quick following the discussion on here.
RoamingGnome
Quote:

E2 is going to be another K1 that loses its identity because of this moment here.
Join the club!
Trident15
AG
I feel like being integrated AND turned into a transfer outfit would be worse than just being integrated in respect to K-1.

(Not that either of those things are necessarily bad, but they are big changes)
t_J_e_C_x
AG
Trident15 said:

I feel like being integrated AND turned into a transfer outfit would be worse than just being integrated in respect to K-1.

(Not that either of those things are necessarily bad, but they are big changes)

This is what's happening to E2. Transfer and integration. All in order to supply good publicity when a female MC is eventually forced onto E2 and provide a nice, forced political statement. **** the guys that choose E2 because it was all male and they wanted that experience.

Also Tribe: You obviously have no stake in this fight so how about you just move along.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

in this fight
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this ain't a "fight". If you think it is, you've already lost. Best you can do is help the company keep its identity in the new environment.
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
Not sure where you got the information that E-2 will now be a transfer outfit. Yes, it might have 1SGT from a different company, but a full-blown transfer outfit would mean that E-2 would have a fish class of frogs, which is not the case.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
E2 will be receiving new members on all levels in the outfit. These members will be transferring from their original outfits onto E2.

I. E. They're becoming a transfer outfit. Don't have to have frogs to become that.
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
If we're going by that logic, then every outfit on the quad could be called a "transfer outfit" at some point in time or another. I'm in an all male outfit that for the last few years has taken one or two frogs/transfers, albeit it was on our own terms as these guys were absolute studs. I can't imagine what it would be like to get flooded all at once.
NICU Dad
AG
Am not as up to speed on the comings and goings on the quad as of late; however this situation reminds me of my old fire department.

Dept went from full vol to a combination of paid and volunteer. The guys that tried to fight the change were like squirrels trying to stop a moving train. They just got squashed.

The previous poster that suggested quit fighting this and try to help your old bunch make it work is right. The best way for E-2 to lose is to continue fighting a decision that is already made and done.

Side note, I always lol when somebody says their outfit is one of the hardest on the quad. Newsflash, we all say that about our outfit and that new army has it easy!
93Spur
Concur that lamented the situations (E-1 and E-2), or the perception of the situations, is fruitless. Decisions have been made by those in the position to do so. Not going to be undone.

Seems the course of action is for those with an interest in the particular outfit to rally around the outfit as it is and as it will be - without complaint (to the current members) as to the situation as perceived by a bunch of old Ags - and provide as much support, material and motivational, to the outfit as possible. Resulting shortcomings may be overcome. Bonds may be strengthened.

Repeatedly going down this road myself.

BQ78
AG
How much formal training is really needed for taking care of the dog that seems like a real cheap excuse for keeping "outsiders" out.
rebel06
AG
Title IX sounds like a cheap excuse for integrating all-male outfits.
Arrow75
Notice there was no refuting of the politicization of the Corps similarly to the military? The second Title IX was mentioned proved that point.

I'm in favor of recruiting more of everybody, males, females, whoever into the Corps, as long as standards are maintained and enforced CONSISTENTLY across the board for everyone.

As far as the E-2 situation, it is what it is. Agendas are agendas and the university/OOC agendas based on political correctness and what looks best for the university will trump all. There is no discussion to be had. The OOC and CTOs will work to execute their plan and it won't always seem right or fair. The ends will justify the means, though, at least for them.

And I heard what I heard the same day I heard said "more females in the Corps would raise the overall Corps GPA". I am very proud of the academic success of the Corps of Cadets. Achieving a 3.0 overall is quite an accomplishment and should be applauded. It isn't just due to the recruitment of more females, though. That would diminish the hard work of many of the male cadets. Instead of breaking it out that way, let's just say the Corps, as a whole, with no subsets or groups, is successful academically.

Leadership will eventually change at the OOC just like it always does and we will see if there is a difference in the way the Corps is run going forward or if it remains on the current path. Until then.......

BQ78
AG
Hey I'm not defending or attacking the Title IX rationale because I don't know. But dog care is something most Americans who have ever had a dog could pick up in an hour or two, I was just wondering what extraordinary care is requried for Reville, that a new, outside CO couldn't pick it up rather quickly.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Not a Rebel, so assuming here:

It probably isn't the actual day-to-day care. It all the logistical planning that is required. Who, where, when, how many, who pays, etc, etc. Think of all the various events Rev is at. Running that takes work. I'd guess the 1SG is a pretty important piece of that.
AGhistorian
I do find it pretty entertaining that some folks actually believe that there is some grand "PC" conspiracy or reasoning for changes in the Corps. Having first hand knowledge of the process and the people involved I will echo the Commandant in saying that nothing could be further from the truth.

What some fail to understand is that cadets have to apply to be a CO or 1SG, and meet a basic set of standards to be considered. Sometimes there is only one applicant from an outfit to be a CO (and they aren't always the best person for the job). Cadets have a lot of different goals and for some being a CO isn't one of them even if they are a good leader.

Additionally, in the remaining pool, there are years where one outfit produces a bunch of quality candidates and another outfit produces none. You have to take an honest look at all of the people being considered for command and decide who your best people are and then put them in positions. Having observed these deliberations I can say that race, gender, and all of those other things some might lump under the "PC" banner, don't even enter the conversation. It is always about who will do the best job, and help the outfit be successful.

Just like any successful organization, the Corps changes and adapts over time. I'm not going to say that Rev "is just a dog," because I understand that it is an important part of E2's history and traditions. However the Mascot program really should be just another tool to develop leaders of character and from my perspective anything that distracts from that is an encumbrance.

Some of you seem to think Title IX is some sort of excuse. However you are sadly mistaken, it is the law, and I'm sure that no one here wants to see the Corps on the front page of the paper because it isn't complying with the law. In my personal opinion, if my daughter decides to go to TAMU and be in the Corps, I would hope that she would have the same opportunities that her male peers have. That includes a shot a being mascot CPL.
2ndAggie
AG
Concerning the observation the new 1SG will not know the intricacies of managing Rev.

This happens all the time in organizations, where an outsider is put into a position of leadership where they have only a little knowledge of the intricacies of a system. The current G-1 of the army is an aviator, and I am sure running the Army personnel section is significantly more complicated than managing Rev.

It is about leadership and management. A good 1SG will recognize they are not the subject matter expert in that specific area, and utilize and empower their personnel under them and their peers to get them the required training, advise them on how the system works, and make recommendations for decisions. A good 1SG will also embrace the traditions that make a unit special, and not attempt to make whole sale changes.

An outsider may even be able to provide a new perspective and find efficiencies not seen by someone who grew up in the organization. I am not talking about changing the traditions of the organization, but I see the potential in some things like logistics or funding. If those are some of the areas being referenced.

Just my 2 cents
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The outfit should absolutely have the final say who there leaders are, especially for the 1st sergeant. The CO should be able to decide who his subordinates are. It's a student organization, let the students run it.

AGhistorian
Well that's just not the way things work. The Corps is not a confederation of autonomous entities, it is a hierarchical organization.
2ndAggie
AG
I am going to have to disagree with you Champ. As stated the Corps is most certainly a hierarchical organization.

I would be willing to bet if something bad happens in an outfit in the corps (any outfit, not referencing any specific outfit), the commandant cannot simply say, "its a student run organization", and absolve himself of any of the blame. The trigon should most certainly have a say in such important decisions as the leadership of an outfit.
BQ78
AG
Champ is correct, unfortunately 2ndAggie speaks to reality.
GatorAg03
AG
The "PC" conspiracy theory stems from having the trigon heavily involved in picking outfit leaders in the first place. Outfit leaders aren't who fit an artificial set of made up trigon "standards" and subsequent selection process, it is the folks that actually know what makes each unique outfit tick, looks out for its best interests and most importantly has the respect of their peers that they will desperately need the assistance of in order to run an outfit well. I have never seen the Trigon get involved in picking leaders and actually strengthen a units leadership. They only cause more division and degrade an outfit.

The reason the RVs typically have a great compilation of most of the top cadets is because the cadets pick who makes it and even picks who leads them. (Unless that too has been changed recently). That's why these guys are almost universally considered leaders within the Corps vice some trigon selected compilation of staff rats with high GPAs that can't lead themselves, much less a group, out of a wet paper bag (these staff types are selected every year it seems).

Only under extreme circumstances should an outfit leader come from outside an outfit. The trigon should just rubber stamp the leaders chosen unless a major red flag pops up such as grades, past disciplinary actions, etc. Otherwise get the hell out for the way and let the cadets lead. These are supposed to be our future leaders of the state and nation and being given a chance to actually make real decisions is critical to that.

The idea that somehow the trigon with a couple interviews and by checking grades and contract status, can make a better assessment than the unit itself on the best leader for them is pure hubris.
74OA
AG
Here's a reminder that it takes courage and vision to push thru difficult change, and that there will always be naysayers who do not have the imagination to understand why it is necessary: General Rudder
AGhistorian
I don't know if it's pure hubris, maybe just 50%.

However your logic doesn't follow: Trigon involvement = PC?

I'm not sure if you're aware but more than half the people on the selection committee are cadet commanders. Additionally I'm not sure that, GPA, PT scores, discipline record, an essay on leadership philosophy, goals for the outfit, and peer leadership, and an in-person interview are "made up" standards.

Having been in the Corps when you were a cadet, I can say it is a very different place. The OOC staff is much more involved in mentoring cadet leaders than when you were a cadet, and this is a good thing. This doesn't mean that the OOC staff is making the decisions; but being a sounding board for commanders and offering up their years of experience in both military and civilian leadership is a valuable thing.

The OOC staff know these cadets much better than the Bull's knew us when you and I were a Cadet. So discounting their knowledge of what "makes each unique outfit tick" is doing them a disservice (I know there are mixed feelings out there about the Bulls, but they really do a good job).

It maybe unpopular to say but 18-21 year old college students don't always know what is best for them (having worked with college students for the last decade I feel pretty comfortable saying that). So having an outside and experience perspective to say "maybe this outfit needs someone who challenges this senior class to get their act together" is positive. The cadets today get plenty of chances to lead, succeed, and fall on their face. Just because we had a good experience doesn't mean that it could not have been better.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AGhistorian said:

Well that's just not the way things work. The Corps is not a confederation of autonomous entities, it is a hierarchical organization.
Who said anything about a confederation of autonomous entities? I don't have any big problem with the commandant saying who he prefers, however every now and then you have a guy that ends up getting selected by him that the entire outfit hates, but he looks good on paper. That just leads to a caustic environment for the entire year. It needs to be a two way street.

This is even a bigger problem when you are constantly transferring commanders constantly from one outfit to another like what has happened the past 5 years or so. At the end of the day, these are college students. Why would you want to take the chance of accidentally making their lives miserable for a year because you think you know better than them?

And all of this is in regards to Commanders only. I still think that commanders should be able to choose their subordinates completely. One of the reasons the military is so successful is because of decentralized command. You would think the goal of a military organization would emphasize these good traits.
GatorAg03
AG
Well unless the OOC has also made tremendous strides in quality and professionalism I definitely don't see any advantage in more involvement by the bulls. Most of the officers and staff when we were there weren't exactly warfighters at the tip of the spear. Most were just looking for a nice retirement gig with their best days behind them(obvious exceptions being Col Jake Betty and a couple others).

More bull involvement sounds like micromanagement at its finest under the guise of "experience", mentorship, and knowing what is best for the poor, young cadets. An essay and a list of goals? Come on, you really expect us to believe that qualifies an outsider to make a good selection for a CO, especially for moving folks outside an outfit? You expect the staff rats that you selected with the above criteria to choose the outfits leaders with an unbiased perspective?

Funny you mention PT standards. Are those the exact same standards for both genders or are those scorings modified between males and females when weighted? Title 9 and all, everything must be exactly the same for everyone!

From my perspective you have watered down the Corps for the sake of growth, emphasized grades at the expense of leadership and micromanaged for the sake of risk management.

Obviously the leaders of the university see the growth and grades and like the end results so you have no reason to change. Just know you are losing the support of a lot of former (and based on posts on here apparently current) cadets in the process.

I personally think the standards have slipped and been unevenly enforced. I'm 100% fine with females in the Corps and come from an integrated outfit that I loved. I think females should have a chance to join any outfit they would like. I just think the same standards need to apply to everyone. More importantly the cadets need to to run the Corps, even if they stub their toe every now and again. It's all a part of learning to lead.
Rice and Fries
I came from an integrated outfit, saw the last of GVA and the beginnings of Ramirez in charge. I know I am not the only one who has watched their outfit and corps get screwed over time and time again. But my Corps experience was what I made it, dealing with the changes and the ensuing BS was just part of my "education".

At the end of the day, I can express my opinion about the changes going on within the Corps. Or choose to not donate, to my outfit and the corps overall until the general is no longer in charge. I'll start to donate when we have some better leadership.

I believe that the foundation of strength of any organization lies within its roots and former members. (Hell, that's what being an Aggie is all about!) But that man has managed to piss off quite a few former cadets and has made a mockery of former cadets, their outfits, their academic mentors, and their traditions (the good ones and the bad ones).

I will rejoice the day that he is no longer commandant, it should have always been General Betty. But until that day comes, the corps is not receiving a penny from myself nor my buddies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.