A look at the Corps of Cadets Association - Where your donor dollars go

16,244 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Dirk Diggler
OldArmy71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hummm. I don't know anything about accounting (to put it mildly), but why wouldn't such funds be on the books? And how would one designate such funds as opposed to the yearly level of donation to the CCA?
theCCA
Pass through funds are listed under "admin costs" on the "books".

A pass through fund is a donation that is "earmarked" for a certain program, cadet, or outfit. For example, each year a couple donates a certain amount to the Mascot Corporal. They donate that amount to the CCA, and then we issue the check directly to the Mascot Corporal for the full amount they wish to give to the cadet. These type of donations go to cadets for rings, outfits for certain usages (tutoring, recruiting, etc).

OldArmy71
AG
Thank you, CCA.

So is there a way to recalculate the figure of 12 cents on the dollar going directly to the Corps?
theCCA
It is possible to recalculate that amount. I will let our Executive Director know that you guys are asking for that and he can figure those numbers up.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:

I don't know what the legal/accounting reasons are for this, but it sure makes it look like your admin costs are higher than they are. (Assuming I understand the whole thing)

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 12/8/2011 10:36a).]
A2Aggie60
AG
Something most of you don't realize and that is the CCA has met every request it has received from the four Commandants it has operated under. That in itself is a pretty good track record.

I have been involved with the CCA since it was started and I can assure you everything they do is in support of "our" Corps of Cadets.

If you want to support the Corps the CCA is the place to do it.

If you aren't a member you need to join--today.

Out

"Never forget who we are or where we come from, never forget the Aggie Code of Honor and never forget Duty, Honor, Country." President Gates
firstgenaggie11
I can say this much just getting out of the Corps.

The CCA has helped paid for recruiting trips that I went on personally and made it to where cadets who recruit do not have to face the finanical burden of paying for gas on their own. This is extremely helpful when you are driving to San Antonio or Dallas to recruit at JROTC events. These events are big recruiting events and help the Corps gain quality cadets.

The CCA also provided the whole Corps with new PT gear while I was a cadet. They paid for 1800 sets of PT gear to hand out to every class so that everyone had maroon and black Corps pt gear. The cooridnation that this took was difficult by any standard. The CCA has helped the make events like JCAP, and Aggie Eagle Programs much more than just a weekend in Aggieland but an experience that future cadets love and promote themselves.

As a member of the CCA, it is amazing to recieve information from them before every game of when first and step-off are, it helps me plan my tailgating experience.
CanyonAg77
AG
I support the CCA.

I am a member of the CCA.

No one has ever said they don't do good things.

This has always been about financial disclosure forms that seem to show that when I give them a dollar, only 12 cents gets to the Corps.

We're not trying to attack the CCA. We are trying to figure out if they are good stewards of the money we give.
OldArmy71
AG
I have been a CCA member for quite some time, and I give them what is for me (retired public teacher that I am) quite a bit of money.

I agree completely with Canyon.
AgLaw02
AG
The 12% number looks bad, but I'm willing to suspend judgment. The CCA has earned the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned, because I see the great things they do. Hopefully we'll see a more comprehensive explanation that can put this issue to bed. In the meantime, the questions I'm seeing raised on this thread are valid.
BeBopAg
Is nepotism existent, or has it been in existence, in the CCA ?

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 12/8/2011 9:45p).]
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Agree with Canyon and others. And a CCA supporter.

12% seems low. There are guidelines for charities that I'm sure would call for higher contributions to the Corps.

A few years ago at the Dallas A&M Club, a rep of either the Corps or the Admin. said if memory serves that the CCA had given $400, 000. to the Corps. That was each year.

That would have been more like it on $900,000. contributed.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
A quick look thru Google sites such as BBB seems to indicate that 65-70% of intake should be spent on the programs the charity is set up for!

That would amount to $600,000 up for the CCA!
BeBopAg
Annual salaries of the CCA staff please.
A2Aggie60
AG
I understand the CCA is attempting to have one millon in reserve. I have no problem with that.

Again, please remember the CCA has given the Corps everything any Commandant has requested.

I also recall that the CCA paid something like $140,000 to finish Duncan Dinning Hall a few years ago. Food Service had not allowed enought to do the complete job.

My suggestion is call the CCA and voice your complaint direct to Don Crawford'64. I am certain he will answer your questions fully. He is a class guy who really works his butt off for the CCA and "our" Corps.

The CCA is the best thing that has happened to "our" Corps.

Out

"Never forget who we are or where we come from, never forget the Aggie Code of Honor and never forget Duty, Honor, Country." President Gates
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I understand the CCA is attempting to have one millon in reserve. I have no problem with that.

I don't think anyone does, IF it were made clear that such is the plan, and can you show us on the balance sheet where that's happening?
BeBopAg
Bop changed his mind.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT reveal annual
salaries of the CCA staff.

It might let a "Genie Out of the Jug."
HuslinOne70
Its negative chicken $chitt posts like the previous one that destroy the comraderie of the Corps. The previous poster obviously had problems with reading comprehenshion as the CEO of the CAA posted a comprehensive explanation of salary and duties. As for nepotism, his daughter works on a partime basis doing clerical work for the CCA. Simply put, there is no genie in a bottle, only ill-informed posters on this blog. All a person has to do is call CCA and ask about their operation. It would be much better than trying to throw skunk in the box and then let someone else have to diffuse it via the public domain.

[This message has been edited by HuslinOne70 (edited 12/10/2011 11:19a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
No one here takes bop too seriously.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
This is nothing against the CORPS ! It's how much of the donations should reach the Corps.
BeBopAg
Bop will keep sending money.

CCA can certainly take care of itself w/o an independent audit.

BOD just needs to keep good books and figure a way to increase that 12% to say, something like...60%.
Please, no relatives (full-time or part-time) on payroll.

12% does tend to engender concern.

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 12/11/2011 11:20a).]
mcrews
I have been told that the former students give ZERO to the corps.
CCA can you confirm this?
Ark03
AG
quote:
I have been told that the former students give ZERO to the corps.

Check out the reports here: http://www.aggienetwork.com/Giving/impact.aspx.

From a quick glance, it appears the Former Students Association gives to the Corps of Cadets Visitor Center, the Aggie Band travel fund, the Commandant, and PMC (shoot that!).
BeBopAg
In defense of FSA Disbursements - 2011-2012

$116,400 to Cadet Corps

FTAB - 90k
Sanders - 6k
ROTC Awards - 2,4k
ROTC Dept - 8k
Parsons - 10k
Aggie1
AG
Hello Bopper... Nice to see you up and kicking

AAAAAAAAAAg - Air Force Aggie Architect & Administrator from Amarillo, Altus, Austin, Arabia, Arkansas, Africa, Seoul, & now Amman, Jordan '65, '69, '73
"The most potent weapon against basic human decency, in the armamentarium of pure evil, is the self-imposed ignorance and moraldecay of the people themselves."
BeBopAg
HEY, let us slow this down...

Another way of judging the Texas A&M CCA (12 cents-on-the-dollar donation to the Corps saga) is to make a comparative study with other 990 non-profits such as:
The Norwich Corps of Cadets Association; The Association of Former West Point Cadets; Frederick Military Academy Alumni Association; US Naval Academy Alumni Association & Foundation; Citadel Alumni Association; VMI Alumni Agencies, etc., etc, etc..

There's got to be a marker or comparative standard somewhere derived from other Former Cadet Alumni Associations.

If it's all near 12 cents on a dollar donated, well then, so be it !

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 12/16/2011 10:01a).]
Ryan the Temp
AG
Norwich CCA's exempt status was revoked, so you can scratch that one.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Association of Graduates of the US Military Academy
Total Revenue: $41,430,169
Total Expenditures: $22,475,837
Direct Support: $11,012,722 (27% of revenue)
Staff Salaries: $6,279,900 (15% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $238,348 (0.6% of revenue)

US Naval Academy Alumni Association
Total Revenue: $9,410,160
Total Expenditures: $6,650,499
Direct Support: $1,412,020 (15% of revenue)
Staff Salaries: $2,609,992 (28% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $148,710 (1.6% of revenue)

Association of Graduates of the USAFA
Total Revenue: $6,668,530
Total Expenditures: $9,904,590 (no, that’s not a mistake)
Direct Support: $6,203,789 (93% of revenue)
Staff Salaries: $2,009,271 (30% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $183,178 (2.7% of revenue)
*USAFA is anomalous because it spent significantly more than it received.

The Citadel Alumni Association
Total Revenue: $1,021,652
Total Expenditures: $1,136,035
Direct Support: $77,000 (7.5% of revenue)
Staff Salaries: $193,102 (19% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $79,274 (7.8% of revenue)

VMI Alumni Association
Total Revenue: $1,553,000
Total Expenditures: $1,466,005
Direct Support: $155,461 (10% of revenue)
Staff Salaries: $802,436 (52% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $126,995(8.2% of revenue)
*This is a potentially bad comparison because it appears to be organized to primarily benefit alumni, not current VMI cadets

[This message has been edited by Ryan the Temp (edited 12/13/2011 12:09p).]
TXAGBQ76
AG
you might want to also look other benevolence orgs too; you would shocked at how little goes to the demographic it advertises (i.e. police unions, United Way and others of it's ilk)
CanyonAg77
AG
I thought the USAFA AOG spent 99% of its budget on annoying emails to parents.
BeBopAg
Ryan The Temp...

From the five 990 samples you've sumitted the averaged "direct financial support" reaching the various collegiate student Cadet Corps units amounts to $30.50 per $100 contribution from donors.

Of course this is only a very limited sampling however, $12 per $100 CCA contribution is still sorta off-the-norm (like 150% off of the sample norm).

After a detailed comprehensive survey is taken, Bop is sure hoping those figures do not hold true to form.

Anyhow, with trepidation will keep sending money.

[This message has been edited by BeBopAg (edited 12/13/2011 7:01p).]
bigtruckguy3500
Why does VMI and Citadel alumni organizations have more revenue than us?

Although I suppose if we didn't have an AFS and A&M Foundation the CCA would probably have a much higher revenue.
CanyonAg77
AG
I bet you answered your own question BTG3500. Until 1963, the Association of Former Students was basically the same thing as the Corps of Cadets Association is today.

Since the CCA is newer, it's going to take a while to build up. And even then we're all going to split our gifts between AFS, CCA, 12th Man Foundation, Lady Aggie Maroon Club, Aggie Band Association, etc. etc. etc.

VMI and Citadel don't have that problem.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 12/13/2011 9:17p).]
bqaggie86
quote:

A pass through fund is a donation that is "earmarked" for a certain program, cadet, or outfit. For example, each year a couple donates a certain amount to the Mascot Corporal. They donate that amount to the CCA, and then we issue the check directly to the Mascot Corporal for the full amount they wish to give to the cadet. These type of donations go to cadets for rings, outfits for certain usages (tutoring, recruiting, etc).

I assume once this is taken into account, the % of funds collected that are going as direct support will be much higher.
BeBopAg
Could someone please post a picture of the $250,000 CCA HQ building. Size and number of rooms.
Thank you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.