A look at the Corps of Cadets Association - Where your donor dollars go

16,205 Views | 172 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Dirk Diggler
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A previous thread raised questions about financial support for the Corps, so I looked up the Forms 990 for the Corps of Cadets Association. 990s are required to be publicly disclosed by non-profit organizations as a means of transparency to satisfy the public trust, since organizations like this are tax-exempt.

Below are basic summaries of 990 information for 2008, 2009 and 2010, a period that covers years during the tenure of both General Van Alstyne and General Ramirez, although not a full year for General Ramirez. As you will see, revenues for 2010 were up significantly from 2009. However, you will also notice that overhead expenses, salaries in particular, are also very high for a non-profit with a budget in the range of the CCA. While revenues have increased 16.9% since 2008, direct support to the Corps is down a total of 36.7% over the same period.

Other revenue” includes investment income, proceeds from the sale of goods (shirts, etc.), and anything that is not classified as membership dues. “Other admin/overhead expenses” includes expenses such as travel, fundraising, cost of goods sold (shirts, etc.), membership plaques, equipment, etc.).

I will present this information without subjective commentary or personal opinion.

Total Revenue: $995,118 (up 12.2% from 2009)
- Member Dues: $737,814
- Other: $161,613

Total Expenses: $787,390 (up 5.5% from 2009)
- Direct support of the Corps: $117,982 (down 11.4% from 2009)
- Salaries paid: $339,988 (Executive Director’s salary: $133,147)
- Other admin/overhead: $329,420

For every one dollar donated …
- $0.34 paid the salary of CCA staff
- $0.33 paid remaining administrative costs
- $0.21 was held in cash reserves
- $0.12 directly supported the Corps and cadet programs

From a percentage perspective, CCA spends 67% on administrative expenses and only 12% on actual support of the Corps of Cadets. 21% goes unspent.

Total Revenue: $886,546 (up 4.2% from 2008)
- Member Dues: $711,901
- Other: $174,645

Total Expenses: $746,384 (down 3.2% from 2008)
- Direct support of the Corps: $133,150 (down 28.5% from 2008)
- Salaries paid: $291,006 (Executive Director’s salary: $121,380)
- Other admin/overhead: $322,228

- $0.33 paid the salary of CCA staff
- $0.36 paid remaining administrative costs
- $0.16 was held in cash reserves
- $0.15 directly supported the Corps and cadet programs

From a percentage perspective, CCA spent 69% on administrative expenses and only 15% on actual support of the Corps of Cadets. 16% went unspent.

Total Revenue: $851,085
- Member Dues: $757,407
- Other: $93,678

Total Expenses: $770,891
- Direct support of the Corps: $186,273
- Salaries paid: $163,223 (Executive Director’s salary: $105,438)
- Other admin/overhead: $421,395

- $0.19 paid the salary of CCA staff
- $0.50 paid for remaining administrative costs
- $0.09 was held in cash reserves
- $0.22 directly supported the Corps and cadet programs

From a percentage perspective, CCA spent 69% on administrative expenses and only 22% on actual support of the Corps of Cadets. 9% went unspent.

For perspective on non-profit salaries, the average salary for a non-profit executive director with an annual budget of $500,000 to $1 million is $68,175. (Source: Arizona State University)

[edit: I previously included a reference to pension/retirement contributions. Those appeared on the 2009 Form 990. It was brought to my attention that such reporting was an error by their accountant, and the CCA will be filing a corrected 990 with the IRS.]

[This message has been edited by Ryan the Temp (edited 12/22/2011 10:54a).]
EGA
Forgive my ignorance, but who all is employed by the CCA?
Curious91
AG
Interesting information. The first question that came to my mind is: What is the official relationship between the Commandant and the Corps of Cadets Association? ?
annie88
AG
The CCA is NOT the Corps of Cadets or related to TAMU in any way, shape or form.

It's a non-profit and has nothing to do with the money's from TAMU or the Foundation.
annie88
AG
If you want to know anything about the CCA, go to their website.

It's a kin to The Association of Former Students and the University. Separate entities.

http://www.corpsofcadets.org/about-the-association/

None of the salaries or anything has to do with the Office of the Commandant or the University.

[This message has been edited by annie88 (edited 12/5/2011 3:59p).]
CT'97
AG
Ryan,
I thought you stopped all support for the Corps?

If so why are you so worried about how the CCA spends it's funds?

Curious91
AG
To state that the CCA is not related to TAMU or the Corps of cadets "in any way, shape or form" seems disingenuous.

There must be some relationship to the organization which by definition they were formed to support.
bigtruckguy3500
From what I recall as my time as a cadet, the commandant is the only person allowed/supposed to make requests for money to the CCA.

Some outfits would go to the CCA and ask for stuff, and then a memo went out saying to stop it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
If so why are you so worried about how the CCA spends it's funds?
Other posters had questioned fundraising for both CCA and the Corps, so I posted the information partially satisfy some of the questions they might have.

CCA is a private foundation organized to support Texas A&M University and its students, specifically those in the Corps of Cadets.

As I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong), The Corps receives two other sources of funding: 1.) an operating budget from TAMU; and 2.) funding from the Texas A&M Foundation that is earmarked for the Corps.
CanyonAg77
AG
On the face of it, administration expenses are darn high. I'd like to hear from CCA officials their justification.

The amount being held for cash reserves is also quite high. Does this mean that as a young organization, CCA is trying to grow, and putting more cash into reserve than a more mature group would?

The CCA web site says they support the following programs:
quote:
Academic Volunteer Awards
Aggie Eagle Banquets
Aggie Eagle Newsletter
Batan Death March Competition
Boot Dance
Cadet Challenge
Capitol 10K Race Team
CCA/CDC Dining Out
Color Guard
Combat 5K Run/Walk Fund Raiser for Fisher House
Commandant’s Wife Reception for Female Cadets
Corps Baseball Team
Corps Mens Basketball Team
Corps Marathon Team
Corps PT Gear
Corps Recruiting – Brochure, CDs, Presentation Binders
Corps Recruiting "Top Recruiters" Banquet and Awards
Corps Scholarship Golf Tournament
Corps Soccer Team
Corps Softball Team
Corps Triathlon Team
Corps Volleyball Team
Corps Womens Basketball Team

Dorm Flags

Final Review Reception
Fish Drill Team Reunion
Fish Drill Team plaques
Fish Fry Dinner for fish class and parents
Freshman Orientation Week (FOW) Meals
Guidon magazine
Hall of Honor Awards Program and Reception
JCAP (JROTC) Banquets
JROTC Newsletters

Leadership Development Course
March to the Brazos BBQ
Mascot Corporal
Officer of the Day Travel for away football games
Outfit Reunions
Quadrangle Corps Yearbook
Parent Handbook
Rally to the Guidons
ROTCs Dining In (Air Force, Army, Navy/Marine)
Senior Class Dining In
SCONA Cadet Delegates
Simpson Honor Society Banquet and plaques
Sophomore Class BBQ
Texas Aggie Band Show

That's a heck of a lot. Does support for these problems go on the books as "administration" or as "direct support"?
Ryan the Temp
AG
It depends on how they define individual programming. For example, membership development is programming that things like postage, printing, plaques, and even salaries get aligned under, so short of looking at their actual general ledger, it's not as simple explain as it might seem.

"Direct support" is the amount reported on the 990 as "Student Support." They are not required to define that on the 990.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah. For instance, the Guidon magazine. One might call it direct support to the cadets. Or you can claim that it's really more for the donors, so it's more of an administration expense.

Ark03
AG
For anyone interested, you can view 990's for free at guidestar.org. You just have to register on the website.

The CCA's information is listed here: http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations/75-2482454/texas-aggie-corps-cadets-association.aspx#
traxter
Interesting info. I know some events, like Boot Dance, outfit reunions, and stuff like that is partially self supported - attendees pay to attend, which covers expenses - as opposed to MTTB where there is no income. I wonder if that money goes into the "other" income. I'd imagine it does.
OldArmy71
AG
Hum. Those stats do not on the surface look good at all. As a CCA member, I'd like to know why the Director is paid so much, got a very nice raise over a two-year period, and pays comparatively little of the funds given to it directly to the Corps.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, 12-14% of the total income going to one guy does look bad. Maybe he deserves it, but I'd like to know the logic behind the salary. For example, if he pays his CCA-related travel or other expense from that salary it would be more justifiable.

It would also be instructive to know how the salary compares to the directors of the 12th Man Foundation and the Association of Former Students.
Ryan the Temp
AG
12th Man Foundation

Total Revenue: $36,028,980
Total Expenses: $30,112,170
Salaries Paid: $2,384,179 (6.6% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $243,094 (0.7% of revenue)

Association of Former Students

2009 (2010 not available right now)
Total Revenue: $24,470,789
Total Expenses: $13,976,694
Salaries Paid: $4,344,956 (17.8% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $297,353 (1.2% of revenue)

Texas A&M Foundation

Total Revenue: $121,868,476
Total Expenses: $85,356,577
Salaries Paid: $9,814,321 (8.1% of revenue)
CEO Salary: $304,676 (0.25% of revenue)

[This message has been edited by Ryan the Temp (edited 12/8/2011 11:42a).]
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
CEO Salary: $786,983 (0.6% of revenue)

CGSC Lobotomy
Error fixed. No need for this post.

[This message has been edited by CGSC Lobotomy (edited 12/7/2011 6:53a).]
Ryan the Temp
AG
I found the error and corrected it. The 74 should be a 69.
Noble07
AG
Wow, if it's really 12 cents on the dollar the Corps would be better off if we donated directly to the outfits...even if we donated less money overall.
Ryan the Temp
AG
bigtruckguy3500 - half of that is deferred compensation.
IlliniAg11
AG
I already decided once I have to money to give back. I will only give back to my outfit.
bigtruckguy3500
^^
When you do that, make sure you tell them to not eat Buppy's at MTTB, or go to the senior dining in, or pay the discounted rate for boot dance.

I'm not saying giving to your outfit is a bad thing, but if everyone did it then it would hurt the Corps as a whole. I also plan on giving back directly to organizations I was involved with, but I also plan on being active CCA donor (After I start making the big bucks, whenever that is).
OldArmy71
AG
I think someone from CCA needs to come on here and explain why only 12% of my contribution went directly to the Corps.
CanyonAg77
AG
If I'm reading their forms correctly, the CCA spent $250,000 for a building. If they paid for it in cash, that would certainly tear into the budget for a year.

I'm with '71, I'm not ready to grab the pitchforks and light the torches, but I'd like to see an explanation.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I'm with '71, I'm not ready to grab the pitchforks and light the torches, but I'd like to see an explanation.
Agreed.
traxter
quote:
If I'm reading their forms correctly, the CCA spent $250,000 for a building. If they paid for it in cash, that would certainly tear into the budget for a year.

Someone told me they bought a permanent building in Bryan. It's supposed to be pretty big. Allows them to no longer lease office space, and also I think they can keep their trailers there too.
HBCanine08
AG
So don't give money to the CCA? got it.
HuslinOne70
Some of you guys amaze me. First of all, the donor base for the CCA is nowhere near the size of the Former Students or the Foundation so the revenue generated is substantially less. The salary for the CEO of CCA is certainly commensurate with the duties of collecting revenues, dispensing expenses and promoting the Corps in general. As an organization, the CCA is relatively young and its memebership penetration of former cadets has not reached its potential.

Most outfits have their outfit funds and should continue in this vain. However, the CCA has been most helpful in the funding of Corps Recruiting material, publishing the Guidon quarterly and publishing the Quadrangle annually. What you are seeing on the balance sheet does not include donations made directly to the Corps which flow through 100%. This would not be the case had they been made through the FSA or the Foundation.

So anyone questioning the worthwhile motives or adminsitration of the CCA, I can tell you that it has been beneficial to the Corps which had no suport organization for my first 25 years as a former student.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not questioning the motives of the CCA. I support them and have for several years.

I think it is fair to question the administration when only 12 cents on the dollar appears to go to the Corps.
quote:
What you are seeing on the balance sheet does not include donations made directly to the Corps which flow through 100%.

I'm not an accountant, so I could easily be missing a lot. But if money is given to the CCA and given to the Corps by the CCA, it ought to show up on these balance sheets.
quote:
So don't give money to the CCA? got it.

Never said that. What it being said is that the CCA does not appear to be a good steward of the money they receive, when it appears that 88% of the cash donated doesn't get to where the donors probably expect it to go.

If someone can explain it, I'd be happy to hear it.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 12/7/2011 2:56p).]
theCCA
These are some great questions.

Hopefully, we can answer most of your questions in this post, but please feel free to ask more or contact us (877-892-4222).

The current objective of the CCA is to build a stable non-profit organization and in doing so support our Former Corps members, current Cadet programs, and building a stable financial base. The CCA is a membership and Corps support organization. The dollars that are donated are used to support our membership, the current Corps of Cadets, the Commandant’s Office, and publicize the Corps of Cadets to the state and nation.

The main question that seems to be asked is the justification for the Executive Director’s salary.

The executive director of the CCA is the Chief Operating Officer. His primary role is to carry out the directives of the Board of Directors.

This encompasses:
management of the staff
financial reporting to the Board of Directors and TAMU
responsibility for accounts receivable and accounts payable
managing membership renewals (coordinating mailings),
database development and management
contract negotiations with corporate sponsors
business development manager,
human resources
liaison between the CCA and the Office of the Commandant
represents the CCA at public functions such as banquets, Corps receptions, dinners, serves on the Board of Visitors, and promotes the CCA at numerous A&M events;
works closely with Commandant’s staff on a daily basis – including recruiting, budgeting, and reimbursement for cadet programs (Special Units and Corps Sports Teams)

For the past two years, the Executive Director has worked closely with Texas Aggie Band Association, the Ross Volunteer Association, and the Fish Drill Team Association to assist in database management, dues mail out and collection, and processing of invoices and financial statements. He also serves as a resource of knowledge for growth and sustainability for these organizations.

All of these duties and tasks are performed solely by the Executive Director. (i.e. there is no accountant, HR, or other similar staff positions currently held at the CCA)

Other than the Executive Director, there are 2 full time staff.

These staff members work on the following:

CCA Publications –
create and manage (take pictures, write articles, layout and design, and work with printers) the Guidon, Corps Media Guide, Band Media Guide, Parent Calendar and Handbook, Rally to the Guidons Recap, and the Quadrangle (the Corps yearbook).

Online Content –
CCA website (www.corpsofcadets.org)
Social Media (Facebook, etc)
Photo store (www.backprint.com/cca)
CCA Online Store (shop.corpsofcadets.org)
Monthly Emails and updates to membership

Corps Merchandise –
The CCA is the primary retailer for Corps and Aggie Band merchandise
Product development and procurement with over a dozen vendors and manufacturers
Stock over 300 Corps related items
Sales on campus and online
Customer service

Event Management (Outfit and Special Unit Reunions, Corps events – i.e. Boot Dance, Rally to the Guidons, Senior Dining In) -
Online registration
Marketing for events
Funds management
Handle catering and other necessary vendors depending on type of event
Manage mail outs if necessary (over 800 participant shirts for Rally)

Throughout the year, the CCA will employ 5 to 6 5th year cadets. These former cadets assist in merchandise sales and fulfillment, yearbook publication, website maintenance, and database updates.

quote:
The CCA is one of an extreme few non-profits I’ve ever seen that also offers a pension for its employees.

Currently there are no health or retirement benefits offered to any CCA employee.

Direct dollars vs Admin Costs

Direct support dollars used to fund expenses received from the Office of the Commandant. Examples – O.R. Simpson Honor Society Banquet, Recruiting Banquet (JCAP, Aggie Eagle), Corps Sports Teams (uniforms, travel, field rental, etc) and other programs.

What encompasses admin costs –
Any other program that is not directly received from the Commandant’s Office. Some examples -

The Guidon (also used in recruiting – mailed to JROTCs and Scouting Troops)
Printing, mailing, etc
Membership renewals
Printing, mailing, etc
The Quadrangle (also used in recruiting)
Printing, mailing, etc
Events
Membership Benefits
Plaques, decals, mailings
Website, Network, and Database Technical Support
CCA Office Building and General Office needs and maintenance

Important or special note
Any pass through funds are processed as admin costs and there is no admin fee charged for this service. And you still receive a tax benefit for this contribution to the Corps of Cadets.

To this date and our knowledge, the CCA has been able to meet all requests of the Corps of Cadets.

[This message has been edited by theCCA (edited 12/7/2011 3:04p).]
CanyonAg77
AG
I do appreciate your response, CCA.
quote:
The main question that seems to be asked is the justification for the Executive Director’s salary.

That was a small part to me. I understand that it's a big job, and you have to spend money to make money, so to speak.

I think the bigger concern is that as much money is going to the Director as is going to the 2000 members of the Corps of Cadets.

If you were giving money to a charity to feed starving children, wouldn't you be a bit disturbed to find that 12 cents of each dollar you gave went to the children, the same amount went to the director of the charity and the other 76 cents was burned in "administration costs"?

And you did alleviate one of my concerns. Certainly not all the "76 cents" that shows on your statement as "admin costs" are really administrative costs in my book. The mailings you do for recruiting, the magazine (Guidon) and yearbook (Quadrangle) etc. seem to me to be costs that support the Corps. Perhaps it would be helpful to separate them from "admin costs".

And as far as the pass-through donations, do they show up on the forms referenced in the original post, or do they never get posted in your books?

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 12/7/2011 5:11p).]
OldArmy71
AG
Thanks for the response, CCA.

Can you explain what you mean by "pass through funds"? Thanks.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Can you explain what you mean by "pass through funds"? Thanks.
I assume they are the same funds you talked about.
quote:
donations made directly to the Corps which flow through 100%.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.