San Antonio Airport

9,360 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For a metro area with 2.3 million , you would think we'd have a better airport than the POS we have now. Why is it so small and ****ty
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Picard
AG
Look no further than the "leadership" of this city

azul_rain
So liberals
txaggie05
AG
I agree that it's small and ****ty. BUT I do love how easy it is to get in and out of.

Although I still don't understand why you have to take a freaking elevator to access the terminal from long-term parking. Such a stupid design decision.
Redstone
AG
Really? Ever been to Cincinnati? Where is that airport? Ever flown to NYC?

San Antonio has an excellent airport right in the middle of the city. It's clean and smaller.

GRADE = A+
Rattler12
hedge said:

For a metro area with 2.3 million , you would think we'd have a better airport than the POS we have now. Why is it so small and ****ty
Room
azul_rain
build one on the outskirts near helotes or new braunfels
Rattler12
We need one like Denver or DFW where you land at terminal A gate 94 and your connecting flight is at terminal E gate 97 ......and you got 15 minutes
agforlife97
AG
Basically Austin Bergstrom is too close to San Antonio, and they've gotten all the good direct flights. Is what it is.
Redstone
AG
I genuinely don't get ANY complaint.

A nice airport smack in the middle of the city.

Easy to get around in. Clean.

This is easily the best airport situation in the state.
azul_rain
Bernstein is nicer in every way
BoozerRed78
AG
IIRC they considered building a new one somewhere outside ot the city a few years ago and decided against it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
hedge said:

build one on the outskirts near helotes or new braunfels
You think finding that much contiguous land and not having to have a major earthmoving project to get it level for landing strips is going to be a cinch to find? You also realize that both of those are on the edge of the hill country meaning that much more dirt work to build suitable runways.

We are what we are with land at a premium. I don't fly much anymore, but when I flew a lot I was perfectly fine with where it is and what it serviced. Would rather jump on a short hop to Houston or Dallas than drive an hour to get to some theoretical air port north of Pleasanton.
Burdizzo
AG
I sat in a presentation by Kevin Wolff a couple of years ago. He claimed SA's airport issues could be addressed if we managed the airports different. He thought we should transfer all air freight to Port SA, general aviation to Stinson, and leave SAIA for commercial passenger service. I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about.

San Antonio's problem with their airport is lack of demand to get the direct flights people are asking for. Keep San Antonio Lame isn't just a bumper sticker in San Antonio; it is a management style for our politicians. They do a lousy job of attracting new businesses that need air travel. Meanwhile Austin continues to kick San Antonio in the teeth
LawHall88
AG
Rattler12 said:

We need one like Denver or DFW where you land at terminal A gate 94 and your connecting flight is at terminal E gate 97 ......and you got 15 minutes
The Denver airport has the added bonus of being a 40 minute drive ... from Denver.
LawHall88
AG
hedge said:

azul_rain
Bull last time I went it was dirty and musty
Redstone
AG
It's a very clean airport. I'm always impressed.
Obi Wan Ginobili
What a weird thread. A metro area this size with two tiny terminals and yet I've never had a security wait time longer than 10 minutes in the last 15 years.

What on earth do you want? More overpriced, undercooked food options?
azul_rain
more bars and restaurants better ambiance and member clubs
The Dog Lord
AG
It's so nice taking a 15-minute Uber to the airport rather than driving forever and paying for overpriced parking while in your trip.

I've been told there are plans to add another terminal, so we should hopefully up our options while still keeping the location in an awesome spot.

We don't fly much except to Seattle to see family once or twice a year. Alaska flies direct so no problems for us.
f2foxes2001
AG
They are working on an improvement. More focus on Latin America. Going to add 2 10,009 ft runways and upgrade both terminals. The location is perfect, just needs an overhaul.
Pendragon12
AG
I don't understand these complaints either. Every major airline flies here and prices are good because there's some competition. Plenty of direct flights to various places, though I admit not as good as IAH/DFW/AUS. In the middle of the city. Easy to get to. Easy to get through. And I've never found our airport dirty. I fly a good bit, there are plenty of airports that ick me out...SAT doesn't even come close.

I worry about potential expansion options, but I imagine where there's a will, there's a way. At this time, though, doesn't seem like there's a major need to expand. Seriously, it's not a big airport with tons of nonstops like the others in Texas, but other than that, it's pretty great. For most of us living inside 1604, it's a 10, maybe 20 minute drive, and for those on the outskirts it's not too much farther.
Pendragon12
AG
hedge said:

more bars and restaurants better ambiance and member clubs
Because SAT isn't a connecting airport, clubs don't make as much sense as the more major airports across the country. Agreed on better food and one or two more bars in each terminal. I think better food is being worked on slowly but surely, the pandemic threw a wrench in it.
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

What a weird thread. A metro area this size with two tiny terminals and yet I've never had a security wait time longer than 10 minutes in the last 15 years.

What on earth do you want? More overpriced, undercooked food options?
A chick fila.

Seriously, who gives a ***** In my airport I want to drive in and park close, get thru security and get on the plane and go. Our airport is fantastic for that. If I'm stuck in some **** hole layover for hours and hours I want a sports bar with cheapish drinks. The rest is completely irrelevant to me.
azul_rain
I mean Christ we don't even have a whataburger in there
AG
hedge said:

I mean Christ we don't even have a whataburger in there
Yet you drive right by five of them on the way there and on the way home after your trip.
azul_rain
That's not the point, also they got rid of chick fil a
Burdizzo
AG
hedge said:

What's next? The Alamo Cenotaph?
azul_rain
I riot if they do
AG
hedge said:

yeah, that's the joke.

I have no idea why you want something to eat in your destination airport. Maybe slam a couple of drinks prior, sure, but there is almost no good airport food and if there is, the price is so outrageous it is just a waste.
azul_rain
Seattle for example, great airport
Burdizzo
AG
I used to travel a lot for business about 25 years ago. I got to where I hated pretty much every hub I went through - DFW, Hartsfield, especially OHare.
The Lurker
AG
I think the airport is the main complaint for the corporate HQ relocations that typically go to Houston, DFW and Austin. I was always told the airport was a major contributing factor for AT&T leaving SA.

Its definitely nice that I can leave my house when the plane lands when I'm picking someone up. I don't fly often but would be nice to have more direct flights but SA doesn't have the demand to support that.
_mpaul
AG
I don't know, I can be on a ski slope 5 hours from departing KSAT.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.