***The Where to Live in SA Thread***

42,157 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heh.

It's pretty old at this point!

And no one is looking to move "into" town.
bearaggie98
AG
Howdy,
My husband and I are considering moving to SA area from Plano. I've lived in Plano/Frisco area for 21 years and I'm ready to move closer to my family in Victoria and Corpus.
We are looking at houses and an acre or 2 of land in Lytle area.
What are pros and cons of living on the southwest side of SA? There is not a lot of talk about this area.
GCRanger
AG
Two more weeks and we'll be back in SA (Northwood). Twenty years in Houston is enough.
Hendrix
AG
Quote:

Mahncke Park - Immediately south of Alamo Heights the part of the neighborhood that is not in the district has seen a little movement upwards in value. The streets immediately along Mahncke Park proper are already looking better. Some of those homes near the Botanical Center at the top of the hill have spectacular city views. It's directly across from Breckenridge Park and Witte Museum and adjacent to the future Children's Museum and possibly trolley line. Easy access to the River North area, downtown and Alamo Heights retail make it promising as all hell but at the top of the hill near the Fort Sam fence are no shortage of cheap, junky, and poorly maintained apartment buildings. If someone starts tearing those down, the house values will rocket quickly. If. Parts of the Acequia Madre are still dug up in parts of the neighborhood along Broadway.

Pros:
- Location, location, location
- Some very nice older homes from the early 20th century

Cons:
- Apartments in the neighborhood can be a real deal killer
This was spot on. The area on the park and north of the park are exploding. Some areas south of the park are questionable and a mix match of homes. But that area is surrounded by so many of the city's best museums, parks, gardens, restaurants, etc., etc., and it's close enough to lower broadway and the pearl, but not in the middle of the enormous traffic that will show up over the next decade. Lower broadway will be a cluster. Mahncke has easy Hildebrand/281/410/35 access. That area in 10 years time will be unrecognizable. Broadway will continue to turn over and see new/better developments on the stretch from the pearl to Alamo Heights. It's already happening.
AG
bearaggie98 said:

Howdy,
My husband and I are considering moving to SA area from Plano. I've lived in Plano/Frisco area for 21 years and I'm ready to move closer to my family in Victoria and Corpus.
What are pros and cons of living on the southwest side of SA? There is not a lot of talk about this area.

If I were looking in that general area I'd be more inclined to go a little further north to the Castroville area, much better small town with better restaurants, schools, a nice golf course and good people. Commute will be about the same as Lytle if you're working in San Antonio.
JohnnyShotgun
My son is leaning towards going to St. Mary's as he has received a nice scholarship there. What part of town is that in? Does the area have a name (I'm sure it does)? I would be looking for a small house for an investment property while he is in school. Should I be looking by the school or somewhere else? Sorry for all the questions, I know very little about San Antonio neighborhoods.
Halconblack
AG
I don't love the area "Loma Vista" around St Mary's. I would look in Monticello Park. I have almost bought a couple investment properties there. My wife is a realtor at a local company and can set you up with the investment property profile I use if you like. My email is d.e.waters at gmail dotcom
v/r
Sports-Ag
AG
JohnnyShotgun said:

My son is leaning towards going to St. Mary's as he has received a nice scholarship there. What part of town is that in? Does the area have a name (I'm sure it does)? I would be looking for a small house for an investment property while he is in school. Should I be looking by the school or somewhere else? Sorry for all the questions, I know very little about San Antonio neighborhoods.

I would NOT have your son live near the school. It's in a older rougher part of the city. Not very modern things near the school. Look somewhere else to live.
aggiejim70
AG
I think another consideration about that part of town has been overlooked or avoided? If you have school age children and intend to send them to a private school, great end of discussion. But if you intend to send them to public school, that's SAISD, your kids won't be going to Alamo Heights unless you pay tuition. It would be a long haul every day to the nearest SAISD High School or Middle School.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TXAg361
AG
I currently go to St. Mary's Law School. I wouldn't recommend living close to campus. Last year I lived in an apartment in the medical center. There are a lot of options around there. Some are good, some are bad. It only took me around 10-15 minutes to get to campus from my apartment. The area around UTSA isn't bad for students either but that's going to be around 30 minutes to STMU campus from there.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I went to St. Mary's for law school. A good friend of mine lived near campus. I had my truck broken into while parked in front of his house one evening and lost all of my books and my laptop. He also had his house broken into. Not a good area. Of course anywhere in San Antonio you're liable to have your vehicle broken into, I've had it happen in Alamo Heights and The Rim, as well.
aggiejim70
AG
bearaggie98 said:

Howdy,
If you're going to send your kids to Southwest High School be advised the Dragon's stadium has some mosquitoes that would scare Dracula.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Read through this thread but got a friend looking to relocate to Cibolo Canyons from the DFW area.

Can anyone provide any insight to the area? He's WFH with access to airport but his wife will be commuting to the i-10-ish area. They've got a couple of little kids that'll be starting school in a few years.

How bad is 281? I feel like if construction started in 2017, it should be almost done. Of course, I'm sure the same thing has been said about i-35...
azul_rain
Not shavano
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
NastyNate
I'm a bit further north off 281 and the traffic on 281 is not bad at all. The highway is finished through TPC parkway where your friends wife will be entering the freeway. The 281/1604 interchange is finished as well so getting onto 1604 is super easy. They are starting a huge expansion to 1604 that will last for the next 4-5 years that will turn it from a 4 lane highway to a 10 lane highway. That being said, the traffic now isn't great and surely won't get a lot better anytime soon. It still isn't nearly as bad as a lot of other highways in the state.

I'm across the highway from Cibolo canyons and have always liked the area. The JW is there with 36 holes and lots of other amenities nearby.

Here is the big kicker that I think you need to give your friend a heads up on. A good portion of that area is in Judson school district. You can see Johnson HS (North East ISD) from most backyards but they might be slated to go to Veterans Memorial HS on Evans RD near Nacogdoches Rd. That district is hardly the best in the area and would not be as desirable for resale value and for your friend to send their kids to.in my opinion. Others may have more specific experiences they can opine on but that district as a whole is not very well regarded.
Whitetail
AG
Bump
p-townag
AG
Ddp
p-townag
AG
hedge said:

Not shavano

Please expound.
Whitetail
AG
Bump
(Should be stickied)
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
My family could be moving to SA this summer. I'd prefer Boerne but we've seen a house that we like in N San Antonio Hills, any insights into that area?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

My family could be moving to SA this summer. I'd prefer Boerne but we've seen a house that we like in N San Antonio Hills, any insights into that area?
My kids are grown so don't know about schools, but as far as access and resources around there, it has just about everything. Easy to 151 and in/out of town. Finished portion of 1604 so that is good.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
The Dog Lord
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

Where will you be working? That may determine which areas to consider unless you don't care as much about commute/traffic.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Jimbo Finisher said:

Where will you be working? That may determine which areas to consider unless you don't care as much about commute/traffic.
I would be around UTSA so commute matters as well as schools. We've also got extended family in the Boerne and Kerrville areas so being out that way would help too. Biggest thing is we are trying to stay out of the planned neighborhoods but that comes with a decent upcharge in cost too.
LCE
AG
Driven through the N SA Hills area and some nice homes on big lots. Boerne area is nice though. Good luck!
The Dog Lord
AG
One thing to keep in mind is 1604 on the northwest side (Bandera Rd to 281) is in the early stages of multi-year construction. The Bandera to I-10 stretch is sometimes painful, and that might be the way you go to/from the UTSA area. May not be bad enough to be a dealbreaker though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.