***The Where to Live in SA Thread***

42,261 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Dog Lord
Zman91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We moved to Cibolo Canyons on the far north side by the JW Marriott in 2009. Absolutely live living out here. Schools are excellent
spankfloyd
AG
We've been considering Monticello Park as well. Its good to hear this about your school experience...its been the biggest reservation we've had.

I just can't go for the soulless, place-less "neighborhoods" on the fringes.
Zman91
AG
Monticello Park has some cool old homes and businesses with lots of character and charm. My biggest concern with Monticello Park was the surrounding area, I drove around the area at night while in the process of looking for homes when moving to SA. Decided that for my family that the "burbs" was the place for us.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
We moved to Cibolo Canyons on the far north side by the JW Marriott in 2009. Absolutely live living out here. Schools are excellent

Lovely area, but the traffic on 281 is in****ingsane. Maybe I'm jaded because I work from home and was just trying to get to the Valero Texas Open last week, but I just about said **** it and turned around. Kudos for dealing with that on a regular basis.
blitzed
AG
Thinking about making the move to SA in the next couple months. This post is awesome but it's also 4 years old. Tobin Hill, Mahnke Park, etc are not the undiscovered jewels they were 4 years ago. I'm would like people's thoughts on the where is the best place to get in cheap that will be a 'cool' area to live in that's close to downtown.... Or are those places still the up and coming places???
p_bubel
The price point in Tobin Hills, Mahnke and Lavaca have significantly increased but if you're willing to do work there are still deals to be had if you're patient. If you want something done and finished you're going to have to get in line and pay for it. Weirdly, the duplex market in these areas seem to have fallen a little behind in the increases seen in the single family market which makes for a nice alternative.

Dignowity has taken some important steps over the past couple of years but I'm just not willing to put my money over there yet. There's a ton of garbage yet to be cleared out. But people are doing it.

The condo market in Alamo Heights hasn't really recovered yet, and every couple of months some nicer rentals open up along the northern riverwalk section.
GinaLinetti
AG
Awesome op. Just what I came here to look for. Thinking about moving in this summer. I tend to like the medical center area.
RVRE Co.
AG
Lodestar and blitzed,

My office and Agents are at your service. Rental or purchase, please allow us the opportunity to see if we can assist with your upcoming move to San Antonio. Call anytime (210)853-5327 or e-mail me Bill@rvreco.com. Our website offers an up to date seach engine for the San Antonio area.
GinaLinetti
AG
Thanks. I'll shoot you an email.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
quote:

Lovely area, but the traffic on 281 is in****ingsane. Maybe I'm jaded because I work from home and was just trying to get to the Valero Texas Open last week, but I just about said **** it and turned around. Kudos for dealing with that on a regular basis.

It's just not that bad in my opinion. Worse than no traffic? Yes. But nothing compared to other cities in Texas.

It's even easier to deal with you if you have semi-flexible work hours. The difference between leaving work at 4:30 vs 5 is quite large in terms of annoying traffic.
AggieDarlin
AG
If anyone is interested in the opinion of mouth-breathers, be sure to check out this san antonio forum

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/
p_bubel
I'll add this, I just ran across a 1700 sf house in Tobin Hill, purchased last year for $118,000, renovated and is currently under contract for $339,000.

There's money to be made if you're willing to put in the effort.
Humorous Username
AG
Bump.

STAFF,

Can we please sticky this thread to the first page?
p_bubel
Out of curiosity; the general state of the inner loop markets as of 01/01/2015:

All values are median for the neighborhood over the past 12 months

Tobin Hill

$161 per sqft
1328 sf
$217,000

River Road (2 sales)

$209 per sqft
1589 sf
$330,000

King William

$230 per sqft
1932 sf
$406,000

Lavaca

$207 per sqft
1501 sf
$291,000

Government Hill

$77 per sqft
1218 sf
$84,000

Beacon Hill
$117 per sqft
1419 sf
$162,000

Monte Vista

$205 per sqft
2306 sf
$420,000

Los Angeles Heights

$73 per sqft
1066 sf
$75,000

Northwood (NEISD)

$147 per sqft
2395 sf
$335,000

Northridge (Alamo Heights)

$183 per sqft
2025 sf
$337,000

Terrell Hills
$186 per sqft
2716 sf
$485,000

Terrell Heights

$176 per sqft
1580 sf
$275,000

Alamo Heights

$226 per sqft
2378 sf
$496,000

Oak Park

$164 per sqft
2242 sf
$350,000

Forest Oak

93 per sqft
1919 sf
$176,000

Castle Hills

112 per sqft
2319 sf
$250,000

I might do some more when I get home.

Halconblack
AG
Thanks for the update on pricing. I am curious to see where the market goes in 2016. Definitely worried about the oil and gas impact on the property values.
aggie_fan13
AG
i live off near huebner and lock hill selma . IMO its a great location , not too much traffic like stone oak and nw 1604. pretty central location to malls, downtown, etc...
p_bubel
quote:
Thanks for the update on pricing. I am curious to see where the market goes in 2016. Definitely worried about the oil and gas impact on the property values.
I'm not terribly, honestly. The oil and gas industry doesn't really have the impact in town that it does elsewhere in the state. It's not a large part of the overall local economy.
Halconblack
AG
Bubel, glad to hear. I know that the demographics have changed a little over the past three years. I know of at least 4 O&G guys that live in the inner loop but for my sake I hope the market continues to be unrelated to that industry.
p_bubel
quote:
Bubel, glad to hear. I know that the demographics have changed a little over the past three years. I know of at least 4 O&G guys that live in the inner loop but for my sake I hope the market continues to be unrelated to that industry.
If you're using "guys" in the general generic sense and not specifically talking about males, one of those people named Jennifer by chance?
maroonblood08
SoTxAg
AG
Nice! This may come in handy in the near future.
p_bubel
It needs to be updated, but the basics are still there.
SoTxAg
AG
If one was to be working downtown what could someone expect as far as actual commute time from the northwest parts of town? Would it be better to leave an hour earlier in the morning if flex time (starting at 7:00 instead of 8:00) is available, or is traffic just as crazy?
p_bubel
How far northwest?
p_bubel
I just put this together for work and found the information absolutely nuts and thought I would share:

Vacant Lot Sales in the Alamo Heights ISD section of Terrell Hills over the past 24 months (12 sales) have ranged from $327,000 per acre all the way up to $1,600,000 per acre with an overall median price of $1,000,000 per acre.

That's downright crazy.
SoTxAg
AG
Lets say from these points:
1604 at 281
1604 at I-10
Helotes

Much time difference to downtown?
BlackLab
AG
Traffic from 10/1604 into downtown is not crazy in the morning. Just getting to 10 from helotes is usually pretty bad in the morning.
Always_Right
AG
Moving back to Stone Oak this weekend, loved living in that area a few years ago.
All my hope is in Jesus, thank God my yesterday's gone.
GinaLinetti
AG
In theory, he lites won't be bad once they finish construction. Or as bad at least. I personally don't think I could do it though
BT1395
AG
quote:
Lets say from these points:
1604 at 281
1604 at I-10
Helotes

Much time difference to downtown?

I drive downtown straight down I-10 from just outside 1604 every morning around 7:45 and it takes me 23 minutes on average door to door.
p_bubel
An excellent guide to the new apartments just north and south of downtown.
The Lurker
AG
When we were looking for a new house our realtor shared the price trends for various areas. I was very surprised to see there has been virtually no price appreciation in The Dominion the past 10 years (annualized 0.1%). Makes sense as they continue to build in there and there are other options in Boerne and surrounding areas. Still, surprised to see that compared to trends in other areas.
p_bubel
The Dominion has a couple of issues. The older houses require an extensive amount of updates to keep them competitive in the market and given their size and the quality required to get them up to date the cost is pretty nuts.

The custom homes built in the 90s frankly don't age well aesthetically in my opinion.

The new construction in the hood does alright, but I just think of lot of the shine is off the Dominion compared to what it was in the 90s.
The Lurker
AG
p_bubel said:

The Dominion has a couple of issues. The older houses require an extensive amount of updates to keep them competitive in the market and given their size and the quality required to get them up to date the cost is pretty nuts.

The custom homes built in the 90s frankly don't age well aesthetically in my opinion.

The new construction in the hood does alright, but I just think of lot of the shine is off the Dominion compared to what it was in the 90s.
Completely agree but the same is true for some other neighborhoods. If I remember correctly from the sheet the comparable neighborhoods averaged around 2-3% annualized appreciation for the most part. Dominion was the negative outlier.

Just surprised it was that much of a difference and figured I'd share for anyone looking in that price point.
Halconblack
AG
Geez Paul we haven't bumped this since 2016? I feel like we do it at least once a year.
v/r

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.