***The Where to Live in SA Thread***

42,258 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Dog Lord
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Could that photo be any smaller?
littlemisst08
bump
p_bubel
Thank you for that bump, I'm on my phone and can't search.
bunlundun
AG
Same here. No search fxn. Thanks
littlemisst08
I googled it
bunlundun
AG
LOL....what's that
BrazosBull
AG
I live in Timberwood Park. Love it !
Con: see Stone Oak Traffic
Pro: No city taxes, big lots, Comal Schools, very quiet genuine country setting, we can still have fireworks ! Non-annexation agreement with City of San Antonio for 20+ years

[This message has been edited by BrazosBull (edited 4/19/2012 6:24p).]
AgDev01
AG
need to make some updates but here is some information for those who are looking to move to SA.
p_bubel
Yeah, I'd like to add a section on Grey Forest. Awesome area.
Face
AG
Color in another square. NE side reprezent.

Moved here about 4 years ago and consider it vastly underrated. The area encompassed by Judson, Nacogdoches, and 1604 has good schools, a great park/library (Semmes/Comanche Lookout), the neighborhoods are about 25-30 years old with good-sized lots and big trees, it's quiet, and you're about 5-10 minutes from the Forum, the Northwoods area, a mall, and a driving range. Getting downtown is not bad because of proximity to 35. The only place that's a pain in the ass to get to is the Medical Center area.

P.S.--don't move here if you suck.
The Fife
I lived in one of the Deerfield neighborhoods for several years. It was a great place. Low traffic / great neighborhoods and housing was well-priced. No real cons except from some early '90s wallpaper in our place that was easy enough to remove.

[This message has been edited by The Fife (edited 4/10/2013 11:55a).]
JohnnytoMike
...so I may take a job in downtown San Antonio, and will be looking to buy a house. I'm currently in Houston.

budget is $800K up to around $1M

I need a GREAT elementary school, as I'll be in this house probably 5-6 years and my kids are both <2 right now. I mean like "best in town" elementary school. No compromising on this.

I'd love to have a scenic view of hills or something, but really hate traffic. Not sure how bad traffic really is in San Antonio, as I've never lived there. I can't imagine it's anything like Houston, though, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd also prefer a new-ish house, as I don't like to do any kind of home repair or renovation.

any thoughts would be appreciated!
Obi Wan Ginobili
quote:
...so I may take a job in downtown San Antonio, and will be looking to buy a house. I'm currently in Houston.

budget is $800K up to around $1M

I need a GREAT elementary school, as I'll be in this house probably 5-6 years and my kids are both <2 right now. I mean like "best in town" elementary school. No compromising on this.

i believe what you are looking for is a private school. why don't you cut 200k off your house budget and buy their way into a top flight private school. they won't give a rats ass if your house "only" costs 700k, and no matter how good the public elementary school is, the kids are going to being eating crayolas and smearing **** on the walls.

quote:
I'd love to have a scenic view of hills or something, but really hate traffic. Not sure how bad traffic really is in San Antonio, as I've never lived there. I can't imagine it's anything like Houston, though, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd also prefer a new-ish house, as I don't like to do any kind of home repair or renovation.

any thoughts would be appreciated!

all trolling on your part aside, why don't you pick a spot in boerne, buy a couple acres, and build a house? half a million in SA can buy you way more than you need.
JohnnytoMike
Obi -- thank you for your thoughts

What are the good private elementary schools?

And isn't Boerne a very long commute to downtown? That doesn't seem viable.

(and I really am not trolling, I just don't know anything about SA)
p_bubel
The only way you're going to get hill views for the most part are outside of Loop 1604. Helotes has some older neighborhoods up on the hill above town. Getting downtown would be a mixed bag though, as you don't have direct access to either 1-10 or hwy 151. If you stick along I-10 just outside Loop 1604 around Leon Creek you should have little problem finding a view with your budget. That's probably the best commute currently.

There are some neighborhoods inside Loop 1604 with views but they're older homes. Monte Vista has some, Bluff View out by the airport come to mind.

You have a real healthy budget, and there's probably not even a need to get close to maxing it out.

I'll toss out some well-respected schools, but you'll have to sort them out and its not a complete list:

San Antonio Academy
St Marys Hall
Keystone

There are numerous Catholic schools in the city too.

My nephew is in the Spanish immersion program at Woodridge Elementary in Alamo Heights and they're pleased with the program.
JohnnytoMike
THANKS p_bubel. Very insightful!

So is the consensus that the I-10 commute is easier than the 281 commute? Are there HOV/HOT lanes to help with the commute?
p_bubel
You wont find HOV lanes in San Antonio. The traffic along 281 north of 1604 isn't going to get better anytime soon.

I'm not solid on anything south of Helotes along 1604 long term, at least right now. It seems to have picked up lately but it remains to be seen if that trend will continue.

You have some fun choices to make. And I would test run the commute before you commit to anything and decide which route is best.

There's also some views in Shavano Park, Sonterra, Inwood, Churchill Estates, Georg Ranch if you don't want to go that far out.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/13/2013 1:35p).]
slappy
AG
I-10 traffic eastbound (towards downtown) from Leon Springs to Wurzbach is pretty rough in the mornings.
BBQ4Me
AG
You're pretty much going to have to make a decision: short commute vs. scenic views. Once you make that decision, then your decision will be a lot easier
Ulrich
quote:
Moved here about 4 years ago and consider it vastly underrated. The area encompassed by Judson, Nacogdoches, and 1604 has good schools, a great park/library (Semmes/Comanche Lookout), the neighborhoods are about 25-30 years old with good-sized lots and big trees, it's quiet, and you're about 5-10 minutes from the Forum, the Northwoods area, a mall, and a driving range. Getting downtown is not bad because of proximity to 35. The only place that's a pain in the ass to get to is the Medical Center area.

I'm looking in this area. There are a few nice little pockets in the 281/1604/35/410 square.
AG
Wheredidmypantsgo,

I think there are really only 2 options for you. Alamo Heights or Boerne. Both have great schools and are probably populated with the kind of people that you would be friends with. It's just a matter of if you want an easy commute or a few acres with great views.
KC Aggie
AG
Looking to move to San Antonio this summer. Will be working on the west side of town near intersection of Loop 1604 and Highway 151. Need some recommendations for neighborhoods in that area with houses priced at $200K or less. Empty nester, so school district is of secondary importance. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by KC Aggie (edited 5/31/2013 3:57p).]
555-PINF
While not officially "in" SA, it's close enough that it probably belongs on this thread...

What about E/NE of town? There's a chance that I'll wind up working off of 35 near downtown, but would rather live in a smaller-town atmosphere. I'm thinking NB or Canyon Lake. The schools seem decent in both areas (my oldest is 2.5), homes for the money in my range seem fair (175-200), and the commute doesn't look too bad, at least not when compared to my 130 mile per day commute up and down 290 in Houston. What am I missing that would make it worth my while to live closer in to SA?
Face
AG
Emeril-

I don't think you're missing anything. That stretch of 35 gets bad sometimes, but it's nothing compared to Houston. One of my friends at work commutes from NB and doesn't mind it at all. There's also Cibolo, Schertz, Selma, Garden Ridge, etc.
555-PINF
Thanks, Face. Cibolo/Schertz is the other place we've been checking out. Those homes seem to have good $/sf numbers.
KC Aggie
AG
Bump - This thread needs to be "stickied". Please staff. Thanks.
PA24
AG
Google Fair Oaks Ranch

AgsMyDude
AG
Anyone live far north? Bulverde, Boerne?
CashinOut
AG
Any information on the south side? Harlandale area, SE Military Drive and the old Brooks AF Base? I've heard it's really rough, but when we drove around down there it was nothing like what people described

[This message has been edited by CashinOut (edited 8/1/2014 8:03p).]
AggieDarlin
AG
You didn't drive in deep enough. I wouldn't live there for free.
AAM02
AG
twss
RVRE Co.
AG
Wheredidmypantsgo,
First, coming from Houston, you will find that San Antonio does not have traffic to speak of. On the worst day, 281 will take 20 to 30 minutes. Best I can tell the trouble areas are I35 at Cibolo/Schetz, I10 and 410, 1604 from I10 to 281 and 281 from Stone Oak Parkway to 1604.

As far as areas to choose, there are way to many options to just name a couple. While I really like both Boerne and Alamo Heights, you can get so much more for your money in other areas. I agree that hill country views are most achievable from outside the 1604 loop, and would recommend a drive on 46 from New Bruanfels to Bandera.

Give us a call if you would like some professional assistance.
Sincerely, Bill Barkley (210)853-5327
Nom de Plume
AG
The best combination of public schools, views, proximity and ease to SA and quality of life is pretty much anywhere in Boerne ISD. It isn't the best value $/SF, so if schools don't matter, you like more traffic or you want to live in/very near the city, look at the other options listed.
aggie9294
Our family moved here in 2008 and our real estate agent pushed us out 1604 near Stone Oak. Yes the schools and neighborhood were outstanding, but just too vanilla compared to where we lived in our previous home in Boston. My wife and I attended a party at a home in Monticello Park near Jefferson High School and we felt immediately at "home". We fell in love with the rich architecture, human diversity, local art galleries, Woodlawn Lake and proximity to downtown. In 2010, we bought a larger historic home in Monticello Park for much less money. Instead of spending hours a day in our cars, we spend quality time with our kids, meeting neighbors and mayors (it seems every mayor lives in this neighborhood or graduated from Jefferson HS) and can travel anywhere in the city in 10 minutes or less. My practice is located in the medical center and my wife works at Valero. We heard a lot of negative comments about schools "inside the loop" but our four kids have excelled and enjoy the traditions and academic offerings at the local neighborhood schools. Maverick Elementary, Young Women's Leadership Academy and Thomas Jefferson High School have offered our kids the best in academic education as well as "real world" interaction with kids from all walks of life and backgrounds. We are looking forward to the recently renovated Woodlawn Academy school down the street offering 6th-8th grade for our 6th grader next year. While the cultural diversity found in Monticello Park near Jefferson HS isn't for everyone, for our fun loving family, it's the perfect place to call home.
Speedbird087
AG
That's the neighborhood I want to live in as well Aggie9294 when I return to SAsoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.