***The Where to Live in SA Thread***

42,253 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Dog Lord
AgDev01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Very familiar with Encino Park. Surprised i forgot to mention it. I'll add a description.
BBQ4Me
AG

[This message has been edited by UMichAg (edited 5/6/2013 1:10p).]
John Galt 04
AG
AgDev01:

Just out of curiosity, which neighborhood do you live in?
AgDev01
AG
I live in Monte Vista.
John Galt 04
AG
quote:
This is the ideal area for those with refined taste and class.

Yeah, that doesn't sound 'smug' at all!!

All kidding aside, great and informative thread...
Matsui
AG
Let's not turn this thread into a this area is better than that area fight.
04.arch.ag
AG
Churchill Estates
Centrally located on the north side between 281 410 1604 and I10. Fairly easy access to all the major highways. Older established neighborhood with most of the houses built from the 70s then the neighborhood has expanded in 2 real phases once in the early nineties then again in the early 2000s. The original homes along with the first expansion are all custom homes for the most part whether developer or architect designed homes. My bosses actually did a few homes there as their firm was just beginning. The newer portion was built on the downside off the hill closer to the Salado Creek. It is essentially a cookie cutter neighborhood with about a dozen or so different models. Their are also a few empty lots and a few brand new homes built that add to the eclectic mix of the neighborhood. Most of the homes are 2000 sf to 3000 sf.

Pros:
good schools
Easy access to major thoroughfares
Lots of trees
Eclectic home choices

Cons:
Flight path ( although the flights path changes from roughly 11 pm to 5 am)
Rush hour traffic can be a hassle
Most homes need updating

Pros
Commander Bob
AG
I joined the dark side this week. I left Leon Springs and moved to stone oak.

I already want to kill the person who thought the super street was a good idea.
AgDev01
BoozerRed78
AG
That Northside squirrel is some good eatin
ffco
ttt
nohandle
AG
anyone have any experience with Steubing Ranch? seems like a great neighborhood but thought I'd ask if anyone had an opinion.
p_bubel
It's a pretty nice neighborhood, but there's not a lot of commercial access in that area. You're going to have to drive a bit to get stuff in other words. It's probably one of the nicer neighborhoods on the N.E. side of town.

I can't tell you whether it's an overall indicator of the neighborhood's trending value, but I just did an appraisal in there two days ago that did not come back at what was paid for the house five years ago. I don't think that's the perfect metric to judge these things but I would be thorough in my research before plopping good money down.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 1/12/2012 8:45a).]
AgDev01
AG
i drove through some of the neighborhoods around my part of town this weekend to get an idea of their housing stock.

It has been a while since i have been back in Mahncke Park. From the crappy complexes to cliched post-war housing, the area between the gardens and Ft Sam is just not enticing. If anyone is looking for some arson work i can't think of a better place to start. as horrid as that part was i was impressed with the improvement north of the park. Hopefully it will keep extending south.

River Road still looks the same as the last time i went through. What a perfect location.

I wish i had the stones to live in government hill. Sadly the east side is just too much for even this inner-looper. I wonder if gentrification will hit there or Tobin Hill first when the full Pearl Development is completed.

Alta Vista had some nice houses as well but i just can't ever see that area as a whole make great improvements.

TheDino
AG
The fiance and I have been house shopping for a few months now. We have pretty much narrowed it down to Bitters/Blanco area.

What can yall tell me about the Blanco Woods neighborhood?
WaynerAg03
Thanks for all the help and advice. We settled near the Bitters/Blanco area as well. Actually closer to Huebner and Bitters. Expecting to close at the end of the month.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
What can yall tell me about the Blanco Woods neighborhood?

Don't know anything about that place in particular but in general that area is perfectly fine. Good schools and being inside 1604 helps with traffic, depending on where you are going. Close to some decent restaurants and shopping as well.
TheDino
AG
Thanks Dev. The houses were built in 1984. Which is the same time as Hidden Forest. It has a Hidden Forest feel to it. We're taking a look at the house again this evening.
BoozerRed78
AG
This home is for sale in Fall Creek, a small subdivision off Jones Maltsberger, about 20 years old, just north of Thousand Oaks, inside 1604.

http://www.barbarasaathoff.com/IDXDetail.aspx?mlsnum=930305&city=San-Antonio&page=1&mlstableid=SANMLSRES&sp=y&segmentid=4408303&uid=87846&htmlfile=1235123.html

[This message has been edited by BoozerRed78 (edited 2/16/2012 2:37p).]
p_bubel
quote:

It has been a while since i have been back in Mahncke Park. From the crappy complexes to cliched post-war housing, the area between the gardens and Ft Sam is just not enticing. If anyone is looking for some arson work i can't think of a better place to start. as horrid as that part was i was impressed with the improvement north of the park. Hopefully it will keep extending south.
It seems like the pace has picked up in that area, but yeah, the apartments are holding that area back something fierce.

quote:
River Road still looks the same as the last time i went through. What a perfect location.
Did I mention I almost, quite by accident, bought a house there two months back? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Can't believe it didn't work out. I'm still in shock at the price it fetched.

quote:
I wish i had the stones to live in government hill. Sadly the east side is just too much for even this inner-looper. I wonder if gentrification will hit there or Tobin Hill first when the full Pearl Development is completed.

I've spent some more time in Government Hill lately and I'm a little more down on that risk. There's just so much crappy, tiny, places in there. Carson St though is looking much better. I did just read that someone is tearing down a block and building condos on Alamo just east of Broadway. There's hope!

If I were a betting man, and I hope to find something in this area soon, I'd plop down in Tobin Hills. There's just so much going for it these days. Downtown to the south, the new riverwalk extension to the immediate east and Olmos Park Monte Vista to the north. It's surrounded on three sides but positive pressure. What kills the place as you move further west is that damn railroad track that bisects the area. That needs to be gone. (That'll never happen I'm sure)

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 2/16/2012 3:57p).]
AgDev01
AG
quote:
It seems like the pace has picked up in that area, but yeah, the apartments are holding that area back something fierce.

I'm going to try and figure out away to get on the structures board and condemn all of those places.

quote:
Did I mention I almost, quite by accident, bought a house there two months back? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Can't believe it didn't work out.

Interesting. I know of one that was on the market at a pretty crazy price. By the time i had found out about it, it was already gone a few days later before i even could think about inquiring about it.

quote:
If I were a betting man, and I hope to find something in this area soon, I'd plop down in Tobin Hills.

There is a place in north tobin hills that i am considering putting an offer in on. I have a feeling if i don't get this place i will eventually move to something in there.

quote:
What kills the place as you move further west is that damn railroad track that bisects the area. That needs to be gone.

San Pedro and SAC seem to serve as enough off a barrier on the west i'm not sure how much the tracks come into play that far south, they certainly do for keeping Olmos Park nice. They also pretty much kill any hope for Alta Vista. The Pearl development will really help but what i think the key for Tobin Hill is what SAC does. They actually own a lot of the dilapidated structures. If they tear them down the area will explode.
p_bubel
quote:
Interesting. I know of one that was on the market at a pretty crazy price. By the time i had found out about it, it was already gone a few days later before i even could think about inquiring about it.
Yep. I couldn't believe the price, so I called the listing agent to see if they were taking backup offers. Well, someone screwed up, bad, and I wound up calling the buyer's agent by accident. After some small talk about the area the next thing I know the buyer was calling me and offering to sell me the place before closing if I could come up with a reasonable offer. There had been 10 offers on the place before it was finally sold, so I figured it went for more than I could afford and after some debate and general laziness I let the window of opportunity close. I thought it went for easily more than $160K, turns out the final price was $110. Eff me. And the place was in pretty good shape! That guy stole that house.
aghunter11
AG
I know this was covered in the "Everywhere else inside the 10/1604/281/410 square" but does anyone have an opinion on Hunter's Creek? Location and prices seem good, but I was hoping someone had a little more to go off of. TIA.
AgDev01
AG
if I were to live outside the loop hunters creek would be on of the few places I'd consider. Good location, schools, and relatively low price. Any specific questions you have on the area?
Matsui
AG
I live in hunters creek. I'll answer any questions. Been here 3+ years.
aghunter11
AG
Is there much crime in that area of San Antonio? Also, how bad does the traffic get on Lockhill Selma? I'm moving to SA this summer and Hunter's Creek is at the top of my list right now. Thanks for y'all's help!
Matsui
AG
There is little to no crime in the Hunters Creek area. I get notices via SpotCrime about police reported crime in my area and I can't remember anything lately. The good thing about Hunters Creek is that you can't use the area to pass through to get to another area. Pretty much the only people driving in the area are residents or maintence folks.

Traffic isn't bad at all on Lockhill Selma. Depending on where you are going, traffic gets a little backed up during rush hour at the Huebner & I-10 intersection.

Hunters Creek is a very established area. Big old oak trees. Very quiet area. Inside the 1604 loop so don't really deal with that traffic, but outside the 410 boundary. Close HEB nearby. I don't know what else. Big lots too.

Which part of town would you be driving to?
aghunter11
AG
That information definitely helps, thank you. My job will be located close to the intersection of 410 and San Pedro so Lockhill Selma should take me straight to work. I love the idea of not having to deal with much traffic even though I'll be living in the city.

I drove through Hunter's Creek and really liked it, but now I'm just waiting for something to come up on the market. I have some other areas in mind, but this is definitely my biggest interest. Thank you again for your help.
Matsui
AG
I'd sell my house!

There is little to no traffic along that route. I use it all of the time.
p_bubel
I almost pulled the trigger on a place just off St. Marys. It's a duplex, in pretty good shape and if gotten for the right price, a solid investment. I'm passing on it after thinking about it for the past couple of days, and I'm not ready, yet, for that kind of leap.

I'll pass it along here:

E. Craig @ St. Marys

It's a 2/1 and a 1/1, in decent shape and I have a full list of the repairs that would probably need to be made it get it on the market and what kind of rent you can possibly get in that area if anyone is interested.

It will be gone either tomorrow or the next day and there are already multiple bids. It's an REO with JP Morgan Chase for those interested.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 2/28/2012 11:50p).]
AgDev01
AG
I know that exact place and drive right past it on my way to work. It should go cheap enough that someone could make some money off the place with a few repairs/renovations.

There is a house about two streets up off Oliphant from that i was looking at as well. I'm pretty much decided to wait for a place in River Road to open up. If you know anyone who is privy to some leads or houses coming on the market there let me know.
Commander Bob
AG
Is that the one next door to the crack house??
AgDev01
AG
The one across from the crack house is off ashby 2 streets south and 1 block over. That house is a great deal except for the whole location part.
Obi Wan Ginobili
i can turn any home into a crackhouse in 48 hours and vice versa.
AgDev01
AG
Well technically it isn't a crack house, though that is the term i used for it. it is mainly an old home that has been destroyed by being turned into multi-family housing and is inhabited by an bunch of basically indigent peoples, though a friend who lived on the street behind it did have a rock throw through here windshield by an actual crackhead.

The only thing cleaning that up in 48 hours would be a wreckingball after the housing committee deemed it unsafe to live in.

I actually have a picture of one of the residents passed out in front of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.