Club etiquette question

2,987 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by aggielifer79
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fairly new to golf. Playing for about 2 years. Joined Kingwood at that time. Wife also took up the game.

This Saturday we have a tee time at 10:04. Booked Sunday. On Tuesday, a member I don't know added himself and a non member guest to our tee time. At the time there were several tee times available starting at 10:44.

Wife went into panic and wanted to cancel the tee time. I told her people joining times is reasonable and that starters put groups together all the time. We've actually added a couple of walkups over the last 2 years at the starter. But those guys both asked if it was okay for them to join and play their own game. Also, if this guy and his buddy wanted to join an obvious husband wife (both 25 handicaps but reasonably fast) tee time then it's their funeral.

The more I think about it though, I am wondering if this is expected at a private club? My guess is they're hoping we drop out which isn't happening.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything before noon at Kingwood is going to be slammed and they do their best to send off 4-somes...so if you/wife drop, someone else will likely be added to the group.

If it's important to you to play as a two-some, it'll be wide open from 1:00 on as it's so hot that play drops off quite a bit.

Tip my kid - he's a cart boy there.
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has happened to me a couple of times at my club. I'm sure the other 2 players know what they're getting in to. Just use it as an opportunity to meet new people.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep happens at our club as well. The online booking is open to anyone who is a member and if a free slot is available, it can be booked by someone else.
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I'm looking at it as meeting another member. Wife is locked up.

On the etiquette thing, I get it if the tee sheet is packed but there is plenty of availability 40 minutes later. Island is wide open starting at the same time and forest opens up at 10:20. Just seemed like an odd choice to join a husband wife.

No biggie.

Does your son do okay on tips? One of ours was a waiter and was less than impressed with member generosity. He had heard the same complaint from cart boys as well.
Fdsa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, I only do that if I have to. It's a known thing that people want to be alone at a private club. Sometimes it's not possible. Maybe these guys have a commitment in the afternoon they have to get to.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ol army 92 said:

Does your son do okay on tips? One of ours was a waiter and was less than impressed with member generosity. He had heard the same complaint from cart boys as well.

He's been out there since last summer and has maybe scored $50 in tips across his entire time.

Nephew works at the ice house at the Forest Course and rakes in the tips.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you don't want to play with others, cross weekend morning tee times off your list. In this case, maybe unbook and rebook to an open one, knowing it could end up temporary too
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a good opportunity to reassure a new golfer that 98% of people dont care about how good or bad you are at golf. They only care about playing slow and that you are fun to spend 4 hours with on the course.
I Am A Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ol army 92 said:

but there is plenty of availability 40 minutes later

Change your tee time to 40 minutes later.
Username checks out.
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't mind playing with someone at all. Wife will get over it as well. It's never happened before so I was just wondering if it was normal at a club. I guess I would have assumed that before joining an obvious husband/wife I'd reach out at some point to introduce myself. Probably just me though.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
100%. I tell folks there's only one game I'm paying attention to -> mine. Our pace is my only concern, and bad golfers can play fast and keep pace
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most private clubs since covid are over-flowing with members. I think people just expect to see their 4some fill out on weekend mornings, so don't give a thought as a 2some to join another. At some clubs, they are happy to get a morning tee time at all.
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope. I'm sure that's probably what he wants. He and his guest can join the fun!
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ol army 92 said:

Nope. I'm sure that's probably what he wants. He and his guest can join the fun!


Not sure of your attitude on this. It is a Saturday morning, not sure why you expect someone to allow you to play as a twosome at such a desired time. I always expect a twosome on a Saturday morning to be filled with another twosome
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ol army 92 said:

Nope. I'm sure that's probably what he wants. He and his guest can join the fun!


I'm sure he didn't give it a second thought that 2somes would join on a Saturday morning. They were just grabbing an open spot
Hill08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cant imagine playing with a woman unless she's borderline scratch.
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure what attitude you're picking up on. I've said several times if they want to join us then fine. Just hadn't experienced that before at our club over the last 2 years. 2 somes on the weekend tee sheet are very common. I see it every weekend.

The fact that there are 3 courses and all have tee times available at around the same time (even the exact same time) had me scratching my head. Just sanity checking the situation.
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, I am married to her….
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a terrible golfer, but me and a work buddy have been playing fairly regularly. We usually get paired with better golfers. On the first tee I let them know I suck, and I make sure to play at a reasonable pace.
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
amercer said:

I'm a terrible golfer, but me and a work buddy have been playing fairly regularly. We usually get paired with better golfers. On the first tee I let them know I suck, and I make sure to play at a reasonable pace.


I've posted this before but the best icebreaker for this is to say "hey guys, I'm not very good but am I fast. . . Just ask my wife."
DDub74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most men at my club are totally fine with playing with anyone as long as they are not slow and/or annoying, like taking a minute to line up a double bogey putt.

The women . . . . another story
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is one of the reasons my club doesn't allow guests before noon on weekends. No reason to slow down the course or make other members uncomfortable.

As for the guy who said he doesn't want to play with women, legit you are missing out on some of the most entertaining rounds. Bring up something debaucherous and watch the women spew some straight hilarity. Women at my club are awesome to play with.
AceAggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm someone that usually walks on and sees if there's a slot available somewhere. I've never cared one bit about how good or bad the other golfers are. I've chatted, cheered good shots, consoled bad shots, and it's always been pleasant. If the worst happens and a gap opens up in front of you, you can ask if they want to play through so you don't slow them down.
Poot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The most shocking thing about this whole thread is cart boys getting any tips at all.

In a prior life, I was a cart boy at Kingwood CC… never occurred to me that anything I was doing would be worthy of getting tipped.
Enrico Pallazzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think the main learning is anyone unhappy with the high post-covid membership at their club need to stroll on over to join Kingwood where the tee sheet is so open that people get pissed if you join their 10am Saturday 2some
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Best deal in North Houston!

Right now 10:52 and on is wide open tomorrow on Lakes and Forest courses. Island is wide open starting at 10:20. There were plenty of open tee times before 10 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Deerwood is always available if you want to spring for the initiation.
Fdsa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please post an update at the turn.
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Poot said:

The most shocking thing about this whole thread is cart boys getting any tips at all.

In a prior life, I was a cart boy at Kingwood CC… never occurred to me that anything I was doing would be worthy of getting tipped.


Agreed. What an odd person to tip
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been 27 years but being a cart boy at Falcon Point in summer of '99 tips were common place.
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wtf, y'all don't tip your cart guys?!?!?

Ok I store my clubs at my club, but also they clean my clubs after every round. I have a $5 everytime I get done with a round. I also tip our valet guys.

What kind of peasant club do yall belong to?!?
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I worked at a country club 30 years ago. When I was running carts I never expected or got tips. Having a cart ready is the expectation of the member. When I picked balls on the range there were no tips. When I was the starter there were no tips.

I made $4.25 an hour and was happy to get it, along with free golf, which was worth way more than the paycheck.
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If they clean my clubs then I will tip
Ol army 92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well they no showed so the wife was happy. BUT 27 women known as the sisters booked the first 7 tee times. So it's taken an hour to play the first 4. Probably ending this one at the turn…
Poot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ILikeTacos said:

Wtf, y'all don't tip your cart guys?!?!?

Ok I store my clubs at my club, but also they clean my clubs after every round. I have a $5 everytime I get done with a round. I also tip our valet guys.

What kind of peasant club do yall belong to?!?


At the time, being a cart boy at Kingwood literally meant just getting carts pulled, washed, and hooked up to the charger. Things may have changed… but that was the case in the late 90s.

If someone cleans my clubs, I'll tip them… though I usually tell them not to bother because they don't deserve it (the clubs, that is).
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.