LIV and PGA Tour Merging

43,034 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Big Cat `93
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bunk Moreland said:

I don't understand this concept that the guys who truly turned down offers should be 'made right' somehow. They chose not to go. That's fine. I admire their loyalty. They don't deserve a penny for that. And they'll likely still stand to earn a lot more based off this news for future Tour events.

If they would have all taken the money in left there would not be a merger going on right now. LIV would have been the tour
SW AG80
AG
No doubt the PIF has an endless supply of money and the PGAT does not.
Still hope it all falls apart. But after listening to Rory I don't think that happens
Bunk Moreland
I hope it does in whatever the new entity is. And honestly I'd be more interested is LIV went away, the PGA/DP Tours were for individual stroke events with cuts, and the new entity were entirely Team format events instead of a combination of solo and team, 3 days and there can be promotion/relegation based on performance on the tours + team captain choices.

That caters more to the 'party' atmosphere anyway much like Ryder Cups do with all the energy and emotion.

You could do 10 of those throughout the year with a trimmed PGA schedule and it could generate a lot more interest with the entire world of golf being eligible to participate. At that point I could understand teams actually making money off sponsors and 'owning' their team, which they floated but never fully baked so far on LIV.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Nevermind. Misread your post
PJYoung
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I hope it does in whatever the new entity is. And honestly I'd be more interested is LIV went away, the PGA/DP Tours were for individual stroke events with cuts, and the new entity were entirely Team format events instead of a combination of solo and team, 3 days and there can be promotion/relegation based on performance on the tours + team captain choices.

That caters more to the 'party' atmosphere anyway much like Ryder Cups do with all the energy and emotion.

You could do 10 of those throughout the year with a trimmed PGA schedule and it could generate a lot more interest with the entire world of golf being eligible to participate. At that point I could understand teams actually making money off sponsors and 'owning' their team, which they floated but never fully baked so far on LIV.
To me the team aspect was a sideshow.

It's only worked if you're playing for your country or school but with relegation who knows.

I just don't see it.
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Braxton.Sherrill said:

Bunk Moreland said:

In a pure vacuum, if CBS, NBC or ABC/ESPN picked up LIV broadcasts the ratings would have been much higher and we would have actually seen what the audience could have been. They had a ton of star power and people would have tuned in to watch had it been more accessible.

It was completely free to watch and still no one did. OU softball had better ratings than LIV.

When did OU softball only appear on Youtube of the CW?
Ok some random kid playing fortnite has 100X the ratings of LIV. The kid spent $3k on his setup and LIV spent hundreds of Millions.

All American, superman & Lois, Walker, Gotham knights, the Winchesters, Stargirl, Walker: independence, whose line, Penn & Teller, and world's funniest animals all had better ratings on the CW than LIV.

Hell Nancy drew was almost neck and neck with liv Tucson.

That's also only the numbers for ages 18-49 on cw compared to every viewer for LIV.

Is that a more acceptable comparison?

zgolfz85
AG
I liked elements of LIV, but NOT the team approach. golf simply isn't a compelling watch in a team format. Sure, it's fun to play with our buddies in scrambles as amateurs, but the beauty of golf is watching someone face their demons through an 18 hole round and succeed and fail. It's the same reason that doubles tennis falls way short compared to singles ratings. it's an individual sport by definition and that's why we love it.
JCA1
AG
SW AG80 said:

Still hope it all falls apart. But after listening to Rory I don't think that happens
I'm not sure the PIF has much interest in the actual golf. They want opportunities to diversify their investments and a path for normalization/access to Western business interests. I'm hoping they're happy to leave the golf alone. We'll see.
bthotugigem05
AG
The head of the PIF is a massive golfer and golf fan, as is his main investment chief.
AgLA06
AG
The new chairman of the board is about a big of a golf enthusiast as there is. It's why he spear headed this from the start. He wants Saudi Golf to lead the international charge.
Bunk Moreland
I really enjoyed seeing the teams get pumped when their guy would win it for them on the last hole, etc. It was just way too convoluted with all the varied scoring and trying to focus on the individual champ at the same time.
Yesterday
AG
Over 24 hours and I'm still in complete shock that this has happened.
class of 03
What's the draw for team golf? I get team golf in high school, your play with your friends. I understand team golf in college, playing for school which is free because you are good at golf. Ryder Cup, playing for country and the history of the event.

I don't see the excitement of a team of 4 guys, who practice and train and live completely separate lives, getting group together and forced to look all chum chum. The LIV team stuff was a disaster, it was unbalanced and impossible to follow. Overly forced with no real direction. But hey, Captain Na just needs a few more years to build up that roster.
PJYoung
AG
Yesterday said:

I think we all are.
PJYoung
AG
class of 03 said:

What's the draw for team golf? I get team golf in high school, your play with your friends. I understand team golf in college, playing for school which is free because you are good at golf. Ryder Cup, playing for country and the history of the event.

I don't see the excitement of a team of 4 guys, who practice and train and live completely separate lives, getting group together and forced to look all chum chum. The LIV team stuff was a disaster, it was unbalanced and impossible to follow. Overly forced with no real direction. But hey, Captain Na just needs a few more years to build up that roster.
I totally agree and my buddy, who is a LIV golf fan is saying THIS IS GOING TO CHANGE EVERYTHING. FRANCHISES WILL BE WORTH 100S OF MILLIONS. JUST WAIT.
SW AG80
AG
So I guess that answers the question about why they are screwing with golf.

Wish they were into deep sea fishing instead.
bagger05
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

zgolfz85 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Lol where is the money coming from? The purses?

Haha at least the 2 already insanely rich guys are gonna be take care of. Jay is a ****ing moron. How about the guys that have to actually fight for their cards each year that were offered much smaller sums, but attractive sums nonetheless?
LIV guys got the reward without showing any loyalty.

They just took a huge risk on a start up and being black balled from the monopoly in town that owns the media and gullible fans. No big deal. Not near as hard as doing nothing.
What about Hideki and Will Zalatoris? Where's their rewards?

They chose not to jump. Everyone knew the quick big pay day was a one-time opportunity. Aggie369 with his PGA pro connections said a lot of guys began to call back and the offers were drastically reduced or gone.

I don't understand this concept that the guys who truly turned down offers should be 'made right' somehow. They chose not to go. That's fine. I admire their loyalty. They don't deserve a penny for that. And they'll likely still stand to earn a lot more based off this news for future Tour events.
The context they had when they made those decisions included:

- If you leave you can't come back
- You're going to lose access to most qualification methods for the majors, possibly forever

The very people who laid out this context are now changing it. The arrangements were made in secret. So far the only person with clear cut benefit is Jay Monahan himself. And he's the person who blocked any cooperation in the first place and was most vocal about not wanting to have any sort of partnership.

The players who decided to stay for loyalty probably don't have any actual standing to get recourse. And as Rory said in his presser, executing any recourse would be complicated. Maybe impossible. But that doesn't mean that it's not f'd up.
98Ag99Grad
AG
JCA1 said:

SW AG80 said:

I'm not sure the PIF has much interest in the actual golf. They want opportunities to diversify their investments and a path for normalization/access to Western business interests. I'm hoping they're happy to leave the golf alone. We'll see.
I think you hit it on the head with the business aspect. Being associated with the PGAT now gets them in front of sponsors who maybe in the past wouldn't have given them the time of day. All goes back to the Saudi 2030 vision and modernizing the country.
bagger05
AG
class of 03 said:

I think if they had the manufacturers backing teams a la F1 then it could be more interesting. Each manufacturer trying to tweak things to make it exactly right for their players.

Somehow they need some kind of unifying concept. Geography is what works for everything else. Maybe tie it to home clubs.
PJYoung
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

JCA1 said:

SW AG80 said:

I think you hit it on the head with the business aspect. Being associated with the PGAT now gets them in front of sponsors who maybe in the past wouldn't have given them the time of day. All goes back to the Saudi 2030 vision and modernizing the country.
So many of the PGAT sponsors were already associated with them in some way.
XpressAg09
AG
Yesterday said:

Username checks out?
DannyDuberstein
AG
LIV was doing bits to try to find some way to differentiate and get a foothold. That **** is going away when the PGAT itself is now theirs. They don't need it. The liv tour was not created for those ideas; those ideas were created to find some way to make that tour viable. That's moot now. I expect some special elevated events, etc, but most of the rest of this stuff will be gone
Bunk Moreland
bagger05 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

zgolfz85 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Haha at least the 2 already insanely rich guys are gonna be take care of. Jay is a ****ing moron. How about the guys that have to actually fight for their cards each year that were offered much smaller sums, but attractive sums nonetheless?

They just took a huge risk on a start up and being black balled from the monopoly in town that owns the media and gullible fans. No big deal. Not near as hard as doing nothing.

They chose not to jump. Everyone knew the quick big pay day was a one-time opportunity. Aggie369 with his PGA pro connections said a lot of guys began to call back and the offers were drastically reduced or gone.

- You're going to lose access to most qualification methods for the majors, possibly forever

The very people who laid out this context are now changing it. The arrangements were made in secret. So far the only person with clear cut benefit is Jay Monahan himself. And he's the person who blocked any cooperation in the first place and was most vocal about not wanting to have any sort of partnership.

The players who decided to stay for loyalty probably don't have any actual standing to get recourse. And as Rory said in his presser, executing any recourse would be complicated. Maybe impossible. But that doesn't mean that it's not f'd up.

They had all the same information the other guys had. And the other guys chose to take a chance. Rules get changed all the time. Just last summer Rory was already being quoted saying all sides need to come together ultimately. What did he expect back then? That he'd be retroactively paid for staying?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I will say there is a huge difference in someone like Richard Bland, Chase Koepka, and Lee Westwood taking a chance versus say Taylor Gooch.

The former 3 are either over the hill in the twilight of their career or not that good to begin with. The latter, Gooch, was indeed taking a risk. Albeit he was compensated well I'm guessing, so not that hard of a risk to swallow.
zgolfz85
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

bagger05 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

zgolfz85 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

They had all the same information the other guys had. And the other guys chose to take a chance. Rules get changed all the time. Just last summer Rory was already being quoted saying all sides need to come together ultimately. What did he expect back then? That he'd be retroactively paid for staying?

Yep and why I don't take issue with the big guys that didn't take the payday. My beef is for the mid and lower ranked players that were threatened with their livelihoods if they even entertained offers that would make their lives a lot less stressful with guaranteed sign on bonuses. For the big (already super wealthy) guys, it's just a missed opportunity and sucks to suck. Similar to any of us taking a dollar bonus over stock options and then the stock takes off and the dudes who opted for bonus left some on the table
MarathonAg12
Chipotlemonger
AG
LIVGolfNation a reliable source? Hm
MarathonAg12
Let me find the PIF account.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And two weeks ago Nike was about to pay $2 billion to sponsor Brooks Koepka's team. I think it may have even been the same liv fanboy twitter account. Don't believe all you read
bagger05
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

bagger05 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

AgLA06 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

zgolfz85 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

That's fair. And I'm not saying these guys are necessarily DUE anything. But I understand where they're coming from. I think "How are you going to make this right?" is a fair question for those guys to be asking Monahan.
MarathonAg12
Chipotlemonger
AG
What does that have to do at all with that Rahm rumor?
Chipotlemonger
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

And two weeks ago Nike was about to pay $2 billion to sponsor Brooks Koepka's team. I think it may have even been the same liv fanboy twitter account. Don't believe all you read

Yea my eyes rolled a good bit at that one
98Ag99Grad
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Lol no way am I buying that.
MarathonAg12
Just messing around. It's just getting silly at this point.

Good publicity for the game of golf.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.