***** The Masters *****

148,629 Views | 2255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
DG96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1872walker said:

I don't think those stats are right. He is driving it close to 300 off the tee. He should be in the top 50 driving distance.
BreNayPop
AG
That will be an interesting discussion. I'd bet he stays an Am to get into the US open, but turns pro immediately after that. Pros make money by winning majors. My comment was directed towards this who feel he could somehow make money from the Masters winnings.

If he wins the masters then I think it's a moot point. Finish top 10 masters and I think he turns pro… but it's tough to go pro during this major season and make good money.
GigEmJake17
AG
BreNayPop said:

That will be an interesting discussion. I'd bet he stays an Am to get into the US open, but turns pro immediately after that. Pros make money by winning majors. My comment was directed towards this who feel he could somehow make money from the Masters winnings.

If he wins the masters then I think it's a moot point. Finish top 10 masters and I think he turns pro… but it's tough to go pro during this major season and make good money.
Thankfully USGA changed rule and the US Am champ can compete even if they turn pro. He would only lose out on The Open
DG96
AG
BreNayPop said:

With the new PGA U system might get a tour card by finishing ranked #1. I think it will be hard to catch the Tech kid but haven't really looked at it.
BreNayPop
AG
Then if he wins the masters, does he even finish his collegiate season? That's an interesting twist and I didn't know that! Thanks for educating me.
BreNayPop
AG
I think the top 10 get conditional status. He's right there for that.
AustinCountyAg
Pretty sure the majors are some of the lowest purses in pro golf. To say pros make money by winning majors is way off base
BreNayPop
AG
Yeah- I KNOW that's not right. Not counting getting ads and sponsorship…

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10038396-pga-tour-golf-tournaments-that-pay-out-the-most-prize-money.amp.html

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/pga/pga-tour-biggest-purses-prize-money-this-season-bm10/

WhoopN06
AustinCountyAg said:

Pretty sure the majors are some of the lowest purses in pro golf. To say pros make money by winning majors is way off base

Not factoring in off course earnings.
jmg0303
AG
There's two people in this world. Those who've experienced a Masters restroom and those who haven't.
Big Al 1992
AG
What's the better gig for Coach Kortan- remain Aggies golf coach or carry the bag for Sam when he turns pro? Have no idea what SEC golf coaches make plus camps, outings, sponsorships.
hunter2012
AG
Sea Speed
AG
I would almost bet he will have a new sponsor on his clothes by the time he tees off tomorrow. His story line is too big to not have someone picking up the phone. NIL makes that possible.
wangus12
AG
DRE06 said:

Speith did this to start his career but stopped doing it bc everyone hated it so much
Well maroon is a much classier color. Burnt orange looks like **** every damn time
aggiebrother33
Since The Masters is a private event, and Sam has sponsors on his shirt what stops them from paying him as and NIL deal? Asking for a friend....of course
basic8
GigEmJake17 said:

BreNayPop said:

Thankfully USGA changed rule and the US Am champ can compete even if they turn pro. He would only lose out on The Open
True
oneeyedag
BreNayPop said:

Then if he wins the masters, does he even finish his collegiate season? That's an interesting twist and I didn't know that! Thanks for educating me.

He could and still have the exemptions. But why, he said in the interview he has an agent (nil purposes idk), but he gets automatic invites. As well as a lifetime of Masters starts, also gets a five-year exemption on the PGA Tour, a spot in January's Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii, and a place in the US Open, Open Championship, and PGA Championship for the next five years

Locker, jacket, Meal, and probably a Rolex.

Still a lot of golf left.
Kansas Kid
No way he turns pro until after the college golf season is done. The guy already turned it down to come back and play with his teammates and he has said many times it is favorite way to play golf. He will get all the sponsor exemptions allowed after this run and all the press so why go out a few months early. If he wins, same answer except he won't need sponsor exemptions.
SouthAustinAgSwag
AG
Kansas Kid said:

No way he turns pro until after the college golf season is done. The guy already turned it down to come back and play with his teammates and he has said many times it is favorite way to play golf. He will get all the sponsor exemptions allowed after this run and all the press so why go out a few months early. If he wins, same answer except he won't need sponsor exemptions.

Golf channel said after the round that his first pro event will either be the Memorial or Charles Schwab, depending on how far the Ags make it in the NCAAs.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Featured groups on ESPN+ right now
schwabbin
AG
Contracts with his current sponsors might say otherwise.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Great shot of Xanders caddy peeing next to the 13th tee box.
Sea Speed
AG
schwabbin said:

Contracts with his current sponsors might say otherwise.

Fair, but it definitely is not unheard of for guys to get new sponsors and gear like that overnight at this tournament. I specifically recall one sponsor picking up a new guy and getting him stuff overnight, but ud be hard pressed to recall any more details than that.
CyclingAg82
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

The 4 majors have $15 million purses.

The winner gets $2.7 million.

The elevated events started this year have pushed the 4 majors to a T9 for largest purses.....Out of 40+ events.

Largest purses for 2023

They are not the lowest, but most pros who win a major get large bonuses from their endorsement deals.

45-70Ag
AG
I feel like I'm watching the British open
45-70Ag
AG
I remember watching that mize shot with my dad as a 7 year old.
gougler08
AG
Man it looks miserable out right now
98Ag99Grad
AG
We'll get to see how ANGC plays with a reduced flight ball today. Guys getting around 250-270 carry and no roll.
gougler08
AG
Back to back ****ty shots for Cam Young that Immelman has blamed on weather
45-70Ag
AG
Looking at the radar for Augusta, will they suspend play for heavy rain if there's no lightning?
98Ag99Grad
AG
If water starts collecting on greens I could see it but otherwise they'll probably play on.
EllisCoAg
AG
45-70Ag said:

I feel like I'm watching the British open

This, but I like breakfast at the Masters
JCA1
AG
The subair systems are humming. You can hear them on the broadcast. I suspect they can keep the greens playable.
bagger05
AG
At some point it's raining too hard to play golf. I think it'd reach that point before water starts accumulating anywhere on the course.
bagger05
AG
Young almost saved that for a hell of a par.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.