***** The Masters *****

148,557 Views | 2255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
whisperingbill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DannyDuberstein said:

Okay, so it doesn't fall directly on you, but a branch flies off and stabs you in the taint. Fred Ridley is nearby with a Masters golf towel, applies pressure to stop the bleeding, and you are good after some stitches and a weekend of watching the Masters on the couch. But it's all on video and all over twitter. Instead of membership, you get a lifetime badge for the tournament. That said, you are forever "guy that got treed in the taint at the Masters". Take that deal?
I'll need two badges Fred. Nobody wants to come here alone.
Buck Compton
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Hopefully the rain stays light enough and lightning far enough out to get a decent chunk in. Still concerned it could largely be a wash-out until Sunday
Forecast I was looking at only has one inch forecast for tomorrow. Plus, ANGC handles rain better than most courses. I don't think they get shut out tomorrow
bagger05
AG
I bet they'll go threesomes off both sides for the third round if they feel like there's risk of delays. I think they do everything they can to protect a "normal" Masters Sunday.
johnnyblaze36
AG
whisperingbill said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

aginlakeway said:

Bennett said Ridgewood was tougher than "this place."
Ridgewood in Waco?
Yes. That one.
lol I'm an idiot. He was talking about Ridgewood in New Jersey where he won the U.S. Amateur.
DargelSkout
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Okay, so it doesn't fall directly on you, but a branch flies off and stabs you in the taint. Fred Ridley is nearby with a Masters golf towel, applies pressure to stop the bleeding, and you are good after some stitches and a weekend of watching the Masters on the couch. But it's all on video and all over twitter. Instead of membership, you get a lifetime badge for the tournament. That said, you are forever "guy that got treed in the taint at the Masters". Take that deal?

In a heartbeat!
annie88
AG
BreNayPop said:

Whoa. That's not a small tree. Hope everyone is ok
Super scary. Lucky no one was killed.

Aggie369
AG
Ugh

Hope not
jonj101
AG
So I read an article somewhere years ago that was critical of ANs greenery efforts. I don't know anything about agronomy, but basically they were saying something to the effect of trees and grass are natural enemies, and Augusta's efforts to have everything green and presented as it is will over time weaken the roots and strength of the trees.

I can't recall if they connected it to how week the Eisenhower tree was, or something else, and I have no idea if it was an accurate take or completely wrong. But the those trees falling reminded me of it.
hph6203
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

More like the guy that got treed in the taint that got a lifetime pass to the Masters. Put that sentence together and anyone who matters only hears "lifetime pass to the Masters"
Ag_07
AG
Great look behind the scenes on just a sliver of the grounds crew and what they're capable of.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqtpW_RJXW2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
AgDotCom
Ag_07 said:

Great look behind the scenes on just a sliver of the grounds crew and what they're capable of.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqtpW_RJXW2/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
The part about digging up and replacing the turf contaminated by the mower's hydraulic oil leak reminds me of the 2000 OU game at Kyle when the same thing happened and left a diagonal streak across the field. Leo Goertz didn't have the resources ANGC had, though, and the dying turf remained.

Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqqf4oXuZ3e/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
TyHolden
AG
What's the latest the Masters has finished? Monday? Tuesday? Looking like tomorrow might not happen.
Aggie369
AG
Monday in like 1983 or something
aginlakeway
AG
Aggie369 said:

Monday in like 1983 or something

Correct. Seve in 1983.
Carnwellag2
1872walker said:

whats the money/ prize purse situation for Sam if he finishes in the money?
Buck Compton
AG
TyHolden said:

What's the latest the Masters has finished? Monday? Tuesday? Looking like tomorrow might not happen.
Who is saying tomorrow may not happen?

No thunderstorms, less wind than today, yes it'll be raining, but they're talking about an inch of rain all day.
JCA1
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

1872walker said:

whats the money/ prize purse situation for Sam if he finishes in the money?

Nothing. He's an Am.
TyHolden
AG
Buck Compton said:

TyHolden said:

Who is saying tomorrow may not happen?

No thunderstorms, less wind than today, yes it'll be raining, but they're talking about an inch of rain all day.
may not happen....that's coming from me. obviously not a meteorologist like you. thanks for chiming in. now I know to wake up by 7.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Hypothetically, if he won or finished high couldn't he decide to go pro and accept the money? I know you used to be able to do that.

With NIL now, it will be much easier for him to decline the money and remain an amateur.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No. Has to declare before and wouldn't have been able to play under anything but Am status
AgLA06
AG
Hypothetically, no.
Buck Compton
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Hypothetically, if he won or finished high couldn't he decide to go pro and accept the money? I know you used to be able to do that.

With NIL now, it will be much easier for him to decline the money and remain an amateur.
No. you have to declare before the tournament. I don't think that you've ever been able to change mid-tournament.
JCA1
AG
Sam is only in by virtue of his amateur status. No way to cash a check. Colt Knost got into the Masters by winning the US Am but decided to turn pro before the Masters and lost his spot. Never qualified for it again.
ddub96
AG
He qualified as an amateur so that is his status for this tournament. Sam is playing great. I watched him the last couple of days at Augusta and he belongs on this stage. Has a way about him that seems to get better in the bigger moments. Pulling for the young man. Looking forward to when he turns pro but also glad he is an am for now representing Texas A&M.
aginlakeway
AG
Buck Compton said:

mavsfan4ever said:

No. you have to declare before the tournament. I don't think that you've ever been able to change mid-tournament.

He wouldn't be in the field if he would have turned pro.
GigEmJake17
AG
It's crazy that Sam is playing on this stage and level of golf and competing with the best, but then is going to have to scratch and claw for his tour card. I know he will eventually get it and there is a process, but man would be fun to see him duking it out every week.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Ok good to know. I could've sworn in the past that amateurs could decide to take the money after the tournament. But maybe those were different scenarios where their amateur status didn't get them into the tourney. Isn't that what Justin rose did back in the day?

Or if an amateur gets a sponsor exemption, can they then decide to take the money afte the tourney? They just can't make that decision if their amateur status got them into the tourney?
TecRecAg
AG
Is there also a NCAA precedent here since he's enrolled? Masters Winnings isn't exactly NIL so maybe another hurdle?
BreNayPop
AG
He's an amateur- win, place, withdraw- doesn't matter and he's playing for pride. He gets no money from the masters.

A win guarantees a spot in the masters (and lore) for life.

The better he plays and places, when he goes pro he will get better sponsorships.

Sam is literally playing for love of the game this weekend. And pride. And golf history. Would be epic win and he is already making masters history
Bunk Moreland
JCA1 said:

Sam is only in by virtue of his amateur status. No way to cash a check. Colt Knost got into the Masters by winning the US Am but decided to turn pro before the Masters and lost his spot. Never qualified for it again.

Well... There is a way he can cash a check. It just won't come from Augusta National. I'd say he's already done it barring an 80+ tomorrow and still then probably already has done enough.

Gotta think LIV will make an offer. Key PGAT sponsors will try to sign him to a major endorsement deal to offset it and put him in the ranks of their next rising stars. It just won't come for 2 or 3 more months until he turns pro.

He made a **** ton of money this weekend no matter what.
SW AG80
AG
With NIL that compensation can come before he turns pro.
BreNayPop
AG
SW AG80 said:

With NIL that compensation can come before he turns pro.

At this point, no NIL will make any difference to when/where he turns pro regardless of how he plays this weekend. I hope he gets TONS of NIL and tells all the elite high school players how he made bank by playing well.

But frankly, he needs to make a great run at his pro status and a win at the masters would do that. Even after we won the NCAA tourney as a team, we didn't get all the advantages we need. tu is kicking our ass.
SW AG80
AG
I assume he will turn pro immediately after the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP. Some on here are sure he can turn pro before the US OPEN and still play using his US AM exemption. Great for Sam if true.

Fairways and greens can make $$$$.
GigEmJake17
AG
Would he get exemptions into tourneys next year, I assume so? PGA Tour needs to market it's next crop of stars and that's hard to do while he is stuck on the KFT trying to get his card.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.