***** The Masters *****

148,667 Views | 2255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want an LIV guy to win it just because of the vapors it will give those ultra tight butthole pga Homers. I dont even care about the rivalry or anything.
aginlakeway
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Curiously absent on the coverage today was DJ. Had to check to see if he was playing. Finished -1. Think there is some anti LIV sentiment from the broadcast?

It was intentional imo. At one point Brooks was only 4 under and they cut to his putt on the green and nobody said anything. Nantz and nobilo and the rest went silent. They showed the putt then moved to another player. It was odd.. Maybe they just got crossed up on who would say something but I doubt it.

Cam got a little coverage on 13 and 18

No way they'd do that. Zero chance.

The Masters controls the broadcast and they don't give a darn about LIV. ESPN won't do anything to create controversy, like deliberately not covering certain players.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
98Ag99Grad
AG
That's kinda why I'm rooting for Koepka to stick it in and break it off on them this weekend. Major winning Brooks was awesome to watch and if he's fully healthy the show down between him and Rahm would be epic.
Fairview20
AG
I do think there was some bias towards some of the LIV guys otherwise I don't see how DJ, Cam Smith, and Brooks all were left out of featured groups.

They showed practically all of Brooks' shots on the back 9 though so it's not like it was an outright "no-coverage" thing. They showed him more than Jason Day who also wasn't in a featured group but is near the top.
DG96
AG
aginlakeway said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Curiously absent on the coverage today was DJ. Had to check to see if he was playing. Finished -1. Think there is some anti LIV sentiment from the broadcast?

It was intentional imo. At one point Brooks was only 4 under and they cut to his putt on the green and nobody said anything. Nantz and nobilo and the rest went silent. They showed the putt then moved to another player. It was odd.. Maybe they just got crossed up on who would say something but I doubt it.

The Masters controls the broadcast and they don't give a darn about LIV. ESPN won't do anything to create controversy, like deliberately not covering certain players.

Sarcasm right?
It was very obvious
Bunk Moreland
aginlakeway said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Ridley absolutely gives a damn about LIV. He said as much in December and doubled down this week. He also didn't extend an invitation to Norman but did to Monahan and the DP Tour heads. I somewhat understand that Norman is more likely than the other 2 to try and make the event about something other than the masters but it's still a statement by making that decision.

He also basically said whatever USGA AND R&A decide on the golf balls he'll support. Ridley night be leading the most 'connected' era of Augusta national in its history.
aginlakeway
AG
DG96 said:

aginlakeway said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Sarcasm right?
It was very obvious

Not sarcasm. No way ESPN and The Masters would do something like that deliberately It would bring one lot of criticism.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Bunk Moreland
aginlakeway said:

DG96 said:

aginlakeway said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Sarcasm right?
It was very obvious

Not sarcasm. No way ESPN and The Masters would do something like that deliberately It would bring one lot of criticism.

LOL Who's going to criticize it? They're all colluding against LIV and have for the last year. Err sorry... 'protecting their interests'
aginlakeway
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

aginlakeway said:

DG96 said:

aginlakeway said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

Sarcasm right?
It was very obvious

LOL Who's going to criticize it? They're all colluding against LIV and have for the last year.

Good point!
MAROON
AG
Lots of tv time for Brooks, Mito, Neimann, Phil, Varner, Bryson, and Cam. Some shots for DJ but he didn't do much.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ag_07
AG
MAROON said:

Lots of tv time for Brooks, Mito, Neimann, Phil, Varner, Bryson, and Cam. Some shots for DJ but he didn't do much.

Were we watching the same broadcast?

I watched all day and I saw replays of Phil once or twice, absolutely no DJ, Bryson once, and no Cam. Only reason Brooks was on was that he was T1.

It's glaringly obvious. It was also obvious they put poster child Rory and incredibly likeable and visible Max on the mic'd up segments.
bagger05
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

His caddie is being accused of telling Woodland's caddie what club Brooks had just his his 2nd shot with, 5 iron.

And it certainly looks that way from the angle. But what we still don't have is an angle from the other side because the claim was that he was telling a broadcaster what club it was, which is asked of caddies all the time and they always tell the TV crews. And it's absolutely possible and probable that crew following that group would have been positioned right in the area where the caddie looked and said "five."

Everyone involved also said Gary's caddie didn't ask and they weren't doing it.

The broadcaster thing sounds a lot more likely than Woodland's caddie asking Koepka's caddie what Koepka just hit.
aginlakeway
AG
MAROON said:

Yep.

Actually, every shot of every player was broadcast.

HeyAbbott
AG
The LIV posters trying to derail the once a year Masters thread about golf on the Augusta National golf course this week. Best story of today could be Sam Bennett's bogey free 68 playing alongside Scottie and Max.
MAROON
AG
I was watching streaming - feature group, amen corner and 15/16 channels/Sam and my favorites. Didn't watch ESPN/CBS broadcast until the very end. Not sure why anyone would watch tHe TV broadcast when you can watch every golfer and every hole on line
aggiebonzo
AG
Agreed. Can add Rahm spotting the field two strokes on the first home then shooting 9 under on the next 17 holes!
Ag_07
AG
Well there is the problem. They have to show them when they're on those channels.

I watch the feature groups until the broadcast starts. I like seeing a variety of golfers all over the course.

There's a lot of good golf on holes not on the streams.
Danny Vermin

HeyAbbott
AG
The Masters app and website is good and shows all players' shots as well as the feature holes. It is better than watching it on TV.
Ag_07
AG
I don't mind the Masters broadcast with limited commercials it's pretty good.

And nothing against the streams as I'm sure they're great but I enjoy sitting down just watching one channel on my TV rather than keep up with 4 screens and switching we needed and all that.
MAROON
AG
You can actually select all the LIV guys as your favorites and watch every one of their shots if you like
aginlakeway
AG
MAROON said:

You can actually select all the LIV guys as your favorites and watch every one of their shots if you like

Yep.
DannyDuberstein
AG
HeyAbbott said:

The LIV posters trying to derail the once a year Masters thread about golf on the Augusta National golf course this week. Best story of today could be Sam Bennett's bogey free 68 playing alongside Scottie and Max.

This. I can't say LIV vs PGA adds anything interesting if all it's gonna do is bring out the tittybabies measuring shot coverage looking for some way for someone else to be offended.
98Ag99Grad
AG
DJ is part of one of the early featured groups tomorrow morning FWIW.
BreNayPop
AG
This was clearly done as a response because they got caught "not featuring" LIV guys.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Any stats on the scoring average for 13 after round one? Koepka was way left off the tee and bogeyed it. Spieth made double after hitting in the creek from the trees. Curious how many just laid up today.
aggiebonzo
AG
Koepka & Scheffler featured groups on ESPN+
HeyAbbott
AG
Jaime Diaz of the Golf Channel stated that most players in the fairway went for the green. I think Sam had 231 to the green from the fairway and hit it good but went into the back bunker. Today's conditions were favorable for the players but with the weather coming up, we will see how it plays out.
ddub96
AG
3 eagles
36 birdies
33 pars
11 bogeys
3 double or worse
bagger05
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Any stats on the scoring average for 13 after round one? Koepka was way left off the tee and bogeyed it. Spieth made double after hitting in the creek from the trees. Curious how many just laid up today.

13 was the toughest par 5 today.

Field scores on each hole (I couldn't find the exact stats so everything that is a double or worse I just counted as 2… the scores may be a few shots higher for some holes).

#1: +19 (4)
#2: -34 (18)
#3: +1 (12)
#4: +16 (5)
#5: +30 (2)
#6: -4 (13)
#7: +19 (3)
#8: -26 (16)
#9: +3 (10)
#10: +14 (7)
#11: +31 (1)
#12: +2 (11)
#13: -25 (15)
#14: +6 (9)
#15: -35 (17)
#16: -14 (14)
#17: +14 (6)
#18: +9 (8)
Tramp96
HeyAbbott said:

Yeah, the LIV guys should just start their own thread where they can wallow in self-pity for some perceived bias against their boys by the TV coverage and AN. If that was the case, the wouldn't have mixed LIV and PGA guys in the first two rounds groups to the extent they did.

Now, back to the Masters coverage day 1: I absolutely loved watching the premier group coverage on ESPN+. It was way more enjoyable even if you were watching a limited number of players because you really were more involved with the game and each of their shots. Reminded me of following groups in person but with the better access and vision of watching on TV. Just the prefect combo and now my preferred option for the first two rounds.
bagger05
AG
ESPN+ feed was always stalling out for me for the featured groups. Other channels worked okay. I eventually went back to my laptop and AirPlaying my phone to my TV.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I went with masters.com MyGroup on the tv then with featured group on the ipad so that there would be some commentary. Thought Knost was really strong today. For those that didn't see who they wanted, that's your own damn fault. I saw a ton of the leaders today and more, regardless of affiliation. I don't even know how you could keep "should i be offended" score if you were doing it right. LOL at anyone that watched "all day" and didn't see the guys they wanted
MS08
AG
The live, on-course interviews with Rory first and then Max, amid playing of a specific hole, were really special. What a feature to implement! Those two golfers did not disappoint in how they genuinely talked about the game, the course, and the specific hole they were on. Phenomenal segment there.
TexAg1822
AG
I stayed on the "Featured Groups" tab for the Sam - Scottie - Homa grouping. Huge fan of Shane Bacon & I am really starting to enjoy Colt Knost

At times I would use the feature on Masters.com to split screen it or go to a quad box during slow times, having Amen Corner and 15&16 on the other screens. I then had a second screen following "My Group" and tracking Champ's round shot by shot.

Every other streaming platform should take notes from the Masters. However it is configured internally, it needs to be replicated across sports. I love this system

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.