You have time to play one course in Monterey Bay, which one would it be?

9,324 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So since you mentioned weather when is the best couple of months to play Pebble?
Duckhook
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Fellas, bring a jacket or sweater. 3 to 4 weeks ago, we were flirting with sunny 70s weather. Past 2 weeks and I guess rest of the summer til September, it may be overcast low 60s and windy.

It's freaking bone chilling.

Ha, I was wondering if I should take any shorts for golf. Probably not?

It was 93 at my house late in the afternoon the other day and I checked the Pebble weather. 59.
AggieDruggist89
AG
September/October for best weather
AggieDruggist89
AG
Was just out on the range and chipping green at Bayonet/Black Horse,

It's f***ING cold..

AggieDruggist89
AG
htownag2007 said:

We are going to finish at Pasatiempo around 6-7 and then driving down to Pebble. Any good dinner recs on the way? Probably won't eat in Carmel that night since we'll be getting there late.
I have a pharmacist who lives on Pastiempo and commutes to MRY. She said this place in Aptos is pretty good.

https://bittersweetbistro.com/
Duckhook
AG
Htown,

We're heading out for my trip next week. I know you're there too. Tehama on Tuesday, Pebble and The Hay on Thursday and Spanish Bay on Friday. Weather looks great. Have a good trip! Maybe we'll run across each other.
GDP
htownag2007
AG
Sounds good! We are playing Pasatiempo Tuesday, Pebble and the Hay Wednesday, Spanish Bay and Pebble Thursday, and Spyglass early on Friday.
What time are you playing Pebble Thursday? I think we are around 3.
WhoopN06
Bayonet no doubt.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The most underrated course is Poppy Hills and it's in Pebble Beach. Not affiliated with Pebble Beach resort however.

Bayonet is the tougher course but Black Horse is more fun Imo.
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

Sounds good! We are playing Pasatiempo Tuesday, Pebble and the Hay Wednesday, Spanish Bay and Pebble Thursday, and Spyglass early on Friday.
What time are you playing Pebble Thursday? I think we are around 3.

Pebble around 11:00. We're going to play The Hay before that.
Matsui
AG
January and February are sneaky good as well.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Happy overcast Monterey Wednesday fellas.

Those of you in town for golf, where is the report???????
oldflyer
AG
Fore Left! said:

100% Pebble. Then Spyglass which is an ass-kicker. After that I'd go to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo. Spanish Bay is pretty but it's tricked up target golf
I second Pasatiempo. Also, Bayonet and Black Horse at the old Fort Ord base site may be the best bargain golf in the area.
Duckhook
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Happy overcast Monterey Wednesday fellas.

Those of you in town for golf, where is the report???????

On my way back home now. It was a great trip. Tehama, The Hay, Pebble and Spanish Bay. 4 different looks. Weather was fine. Pebble Resort and the whole Pebble experience is first class. Lot of good pics to upload once I'm home and can sort them out. Here's one to whet your appetite.

EKUAg
AG
E said:

EKUAg said:

JCA1 said:

RiverAg 80 said:

Cypress Point is the one, EOT. That is, if you can get on.

Spoiler alert - you can't.

I did. Must know someone though. I got lucky and had friends who were neighbors of the pro at the time.

Your friends still neighbors with the pro?

Sorry I never answered. Jim Langley passed away in 2013.

Great story here of nice a person he was. Go to first comment on the story.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/7/21/rip-jim-langley.html

Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Duckhook
AG
Our trip was 2 couples. 6 full days in the area. My buddy and I had 3 days of golf.

First round was at Tehama. Clint Eastwood's club in the hills above Carmel. First class all the way, as you might imagine. Great start to our trip.

Wild turkey everywhere.

Eastwood's house

htownag2007
AG
Got back yesterday morning. Weather was pretty ideal. It was an awesome trip. Pasatiempo is a fun course that can be crazy difficult if the greens are rolling fast.
Pebble was pretty awesome. The 2nd time we played it was Thursday afternoon. There wasn't much wind at all and we finished 18 right at dark. Spanish Bay and Spyglass are both tough in different ways. Being links style with some small/quirky fairways, Spanish can be tricky when the wind is blowing. Spyglass is a beast all around.
I played pretty bad all around except for 2nd Pebble round when I birdied 2, 7, and 18, so I'll always remember that.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Good riddance!!!

Damn tourists....
Duckhook
AG
My Pebble day. It was a nice day. Wind probably 10 - 15 mph at the most. Just enough to make you think on some shots. My buddy and I shared a caddy, Colt, who was great.

Started at The Hay, short 9-hole par 3 course that opened 3 - 4 months ago. Played it with a gap wedge, 58* wedge and putter. Wasn't too busy and starter asked us if we wanted to go around again when we finished. "You bet!"

First tee at Pebble.

Getting ready to climb the hill on #6

Stillwater Cove panorama.

#7. Pretty docile when we played it. 90 yard shot.

Imgur problems right now. More pics later.
Duckhook
AG
Finish my posts.

Contemplating life while waiting on #8

Looking back on #8

#9 and 10

Drilling a 3-wood second on #9. Playing long at the time.

#14 green. Pin top left. Me bottom right. 3-jack!

Duckhook
AG
Last pics are Spanish Bay. I really enjoyed this course. Visually beautiful. Good driving required, and I was driving it well that day, which is probably why I liked it so much.

There's a golf hole out there somewhere.

My buddy way out of position!

Bagpiper at Spanish Bay
AgOutsideAustin
AG
So jealous, great pics. Thanks for posting!
GusMcRae
I'm going September 10-14. Playing Pebble. These pics are getting me fired up!
It's been a hell of a party Woodrow!
AggieDruggist89
AG
GusMcRae said:

I'm going September 10-14. Playing Pebble. These pics are getting me fired up!

What other courses are you playing?
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Bump … for my reference.

Thinking about a trip to Carmel/Monterrey for our anniversary next month.

Minimum 3 night stay ($1100/night) is a tough pill to swallow. I called the Pebble Beach pro shop and they have basically 2 slots open on the days we'll be there.

Thinking about rolling the dice and trying to slip on the day-of so I don't have to stay on property.
E
AG
Are you playing as a single?

If so, just call the day before and theyll find a spot for you. The tee time might not be optimal... but its Pebble
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Yep… just me. Good to know! Thanks.
E
AG
I played the thursday after Memorial Day. Since we didnt stay at the resort, they only allow you to book 24 hrs in advance. I called morning prior and got a tee time at 6:45.

If you arent staying at the PB resort, I suggest still staying in Carmel if its in the budget. I went cheap and stayed in Monterey for two nights, and wished we stayed in carmel.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Much appreciated advice.
Matsui
AG
Definitely stay in Carmel. And do the 24 hour advance call. Just was there last month.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
What number did you guys call 24 hours prior?
Killin Me Smalls
AG
htownag2007 said:

Got back yesterday morning. Weather was pretty ideal. It was an awesome trip. Pasatiempo is a fun course that can be crazy difficult if the greens are rolling fast.
Pebble was pretty awesome. The 2nd time we played it was Thursday afternoon. There wasn't much wind at all and we finished 18 right at dark. Spanish Bay and Spyglass are both tough in different ways. Being links style with some small/quirky fairways, Spanish can be tricky when the wind is blowing. Spyglass is a beast all around.
I played pretty bad all around except for 2nd Pebble round when I birdied 2, 7, and 18, so I'll always remember that.
I'm booked to be out there Nov 3-6. I definitely want to play Pebble, so hopefully I can get on. If you were to pick 1 other to play, which would it be? Pasatiempo or Spanish Bay?
ddub96
AG
Pasatiempo. Mackenzie design.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

htownag2007 said:

I'm booked to be out there Nov 3-6. I definitely want to play Pebble, so hopefully I can get on. If you were to pick 1 other to play, which would it be? Pasatiempo or Spanish Bay?

Per aggiedruggist all Monterrey area courses require MISIG driving range warm up sessions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.