You have time to play one course in Monterey Bay, which one would it be?

9,247 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It has to be Pebble right? Is Pebble worth the extra money over Spanish Bay or Spyglass?

Which course would you choose and what has been your experiences there? I am traveling the coast with my girlfriend the week before Memorial Day and we are staying in Monterey Bay for a night, she would be walking the course with me on whichever course I play.
JCA1
AG
Definitely Pebble but Spyglass is very nice as well (although much harder). Spanish was a distant 3rd for me.
booradley
AG
has to be pebble. absolute no brainer....

you'll watch golf events for the rest of your life.... and you'll enjoy both the golf you play at pebble as well as relating to every shot hit there in the future.

dont think, dont look at the cost. just do it.....

its pebble 10000 to 1....

spy is great course, but the back nine is more like playing in north carolina...

i can still remember my first round at pebble. paid $150 in 1989 to play .....
AggieDruggist89
AG
Money no issue, sure Pebble. But make sure to have dinner at Spanish Bay. Around 6. And enjoy the bagpipe music. And the short rib is to die for. Enjoy the 17 mile drive. And take lots of pictures.

Walk the streets of Carmel by the Sea.

Let me know if you have questions about the area.

But for the quality of golf, Black Horse and Bayonet are better golf courses. Imo.
Trucker 96
100% Pebble. Then Spyglass which is an ass-kicker. After that I'd go to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo. Spanish Bay is pretty but it's tricked up target golf
SW AG80
AG
Cypress Point is the one, EOT. That is, if you can get on.
JCA1
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

Spoiler alert - you can't.
Trucker 96
RiverAg 80 said:

LOL. This is like telling someone on their visit to Georgia that Augusta National is the one they need to play. EOT

While he's there maybe he can dump his girlfriend for Gisele
jonj101
Or, if his girlfriend finds a way to get him on CP, she could be promoted to fiance.
SW AG80
AG
Hell, get married right there in Carmel. She would be a huge catch.
EKUAg
AG
JCA1 said:

RiverAg 80 said:

I did. Must know someone though. I got lucky and had friends who were neighbors of the pro at the time.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
E
AG
EKUAg said:

JCA1 said:

RiverAg 80 said:

I did. Must know someone though. I got lucky and had friends who were neighbors of the pro at the time.

Your friends still neighbors with the pro?
Trucker 96
Are you sure your friend wasn't blowing the pro vs just neighbors? Based on reputation of CP's exclusiveness, I feel like more than being neighbors is necessary
aginlakeway
AG
Fore Left! said:

Are you sure your friend wasn't blowing the pro vs just neighbors? Based on reputation of CP's exclusiveness, I feel like more than being neighbors is necessary

It's not. The pro can let anyone on.

CP has 2 first thing in the morning tee times set aside for unaccompanied guests. You can literally be teeing off in the fog at 7 am.

Just like Pebble, the 1st tee box is right next to the pro shop. And your drive on 1 at CP literally must sail over 17 mile drive. So don't shank it.

IMO ... CP is the best course in the United States. And Pine Valley, Augusta and Pebble are all T2. And IMO ... Augusta is the toughest of those to get on.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Harry Stone
AG
aginlakeway said:

Fore Left! said:

CP has 2 first thing in the morning tee times set aside for unaccompanied guests. You can literally be teeing off in the fog at 7 am.

Just like Pebble, the 1st tee box is right next to the pro shop. And your drive on 1 at CP literally must sail over 17 mile drive. So don't shank it.

IMO ... CP is the best course in the United States. And Pine Valley, Augusta and Pebble are all T2. And IMO ... Augusta is the toughest of those to get on.

played Pine Valley. Its T-1 with CP
aginlakeway
AG
Harry Stone said:

aginlakeway said:

Fore Left! said:

played Pine Valley. Its T-1 with CP

Me too. I've played all 4. I'd put CP first above the other 3. But any of the 4 could appear in the top spot without too much controversy.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
E
AG
I didn't realize that unless you're staying at their resort, you can't reserve a tee time until the day before... and staying at the resort is only $900/night with minimum 2 nights

Here's to hoping dogecoin can get to $1 lol
htownag2007
AG
I just booked a trip for August and it's a 3 night minimum they told me now to play Pebble. And it's booked up pretty much. Crazy
aginlakeway
AG
I've played PB twice. Got on day of as a single both times. Called first thing in morning one time. I was at the pro shop when they opened the other time.

Singles can get on pretty easily day of.
DannyDuberstein
AG
E said:

I didn't realize that unless you're staying at their resort, you can't reserve a tee time until the day before... and staying at the resort is only $900/night with minimum 2 nights

Here's to hoping dogecoin can get to $1 lol

Call about 7 days out and if the tee sheet is pretty light, they'll let you book. I did this both times I played there and had the first tee time of the day. I wasn't concerned about not being able to get on without it, but the certainty of a time was nice
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

I just booked a trip for August and it's a 3 night minimum they told me now to play Pebble. And it's booked up pretty much. Crazy

I booked last month, for August, with a buddy of mine and times were getting scarce even then. We had to pull the trigger pretty quickly.

The good news for us is that we're playing Pebble on Day 10 of their 10 day window after aeration where green fees are reduced to $380. Full rate starts the following day!
htownag2007
AG
We will be there then too. We are playing Pebble that Wednesday and Thursday, days 8 and 9. I doubt we'll hardly be able to tell. Can't beat the price!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, August - October tends to be the busy season. Midsummer tends to have a fair amount of fog so that is clearing. And a lot of foreigners visiting on that timeframe. Plus covid has driven so many people to golf.
investorAg83
AG
aginlakeway said:

I've played PB twice. Got on day of as a single both times. Called first thing in morning one time. I was at the pro shop when they opened the other time.

Singles can get on pretty easily day of.

Yep. Just be there when they open and you can tag along. Fair warning, you won't be the only one trying that so get there early.
E
AG
Thanks for all your y'all's input and experiences. I'm gonna call a week in advance, and if that doesn't work I'll call day before. When I called earlier they said they had a 7:30, 9, 9:30 tee time open... doesn't seem like a lot is available so far, if worse comes to worse I'll play one of the other courses
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

We will be there then too. We are playing Pebble that Wednesday and Thursday, days 8 and 9. I doubt we'll hardly be able to tell. Can't beat the price!

I'm playing that Thursday. I guess it's day 9. What's your tee time?

Yeah, I'm not too worried about what the greens will be like.
htownag2007
AG
You might be right. I might be off a day (hopefully). 3:10. We will get at least 15 holes in, but hopefully finish. You? Playing Spanish Bay first that morning. On Wednesday we are playing at 9:50. The discounted rates were too good to pass up on playing it twice.
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

You might be right. I might be off a day (hopefully). 3:10. We will get at least 15 holes in, but hopefully finish. You? Playing Spanish Bay first that morning. On Wednesday we are playing at 9:50. The discounted rates were too good to pass up on playing it twice.

We're 11:10 at Pebble on Thursday and 11:00 at Spanish Bay on Friday.

My buddy thinks he has a connection that's going to get us on Tehama on Wednesday.
htownag2007
AG
Tiger's par 3 course just opened today by the way. Make sure you get a time for that too. 9 holes and $50 b/c they will have punched the greens. I think that Wednesday is day 8
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

Tiger's par 3 course just opened today by the way. Make sure you get a time for that too. 9 holes and $50 b/c they will have punched the greens. I think that Wednesday is day 8

Thanks for the heads up.

As of the date I made our times, caddies weren't available. I did book us forecaddies at both places. I hope caddies become available.
htownag2007
AG
I booked last week and they did let me reserve them, so we should be good
htownag2007
AG
On my trip we are playing the 3 main PB courses (and the par 3). We've got one left to figure out. We can play an afternoon round the day we arrive. The logical choice is Pasatiempo, but it's pricey. I'm assuming it's worth the extra $150 compared to Bayonet? Any others?
oldag00
AG
There's only a handful of Alister Mackenzie courses open to public play. I consider Pasatiempo a must.
AggieDruggist89
AG
htownag2007 said:

On my trip we are playing the 3 main PB courses (and the par 3). We've got one left to figure out. We can play an afternoon round the day we arrive. The logical choice is Pasatiempo, but it's pricey. I'm assuming it's worth the extra $150 compared to Bayonet? Any others?

Bayonet Black Horse are my home courses. They're both very underrated. Play Black Horse if u can. Never played Pasatiempo.

You won't regret playing either Bayonet or BH.
jc97
AG
If you want to play a course you can brag that you played, play Pebble.
In general you won't regret it.

But also consider Pasatiempo. It has the most architectural merit of any course out there, besides Cypress Pine. (And the same architect as designed Cypress Pine and Augusta).

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.