You have time to play one course in Monterey Bay, which one would it be?

9,248 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
Killin Me Smalls
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good thing I never leave home without it!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

htownag2007 said:

Got back yesterday morning. Weather was pretty ideal. It was an awesome trip. Pasatiempo is a fun course that can be crazy difficult if the greens are rolling fast.
Pebble was pretty awesome. The 2nd time we played it was Thursday afternoon. There wasn't much wind at all and we finished 18 right at dark. Spanish Bay and Spyglass are both tough in different ways. Being links style with some small/quirky fairways, Spanish can be tricky when the wind is blowing. Spyglass is a beast all around.
I played pretty bad all around except for 2nd Pebble round when I birdied 2, 7, and 18, so I'll always remember that.
I'm booked to be out there Nov 3-6. I definitely want to play Pebble, so hopefully I can get on. If you were to pick 1 other to play, which would it be? Pasatiempo or Spanish Bay?
Poppy Hills.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Interesting. The tie-breaker might go to Poppy for proximity to my hotel.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

Interesting. The tie-breaker might go to Poppy for proximity to my hotel.
I'd play either Poppy or Spyglass,

Not Spanish Bay...

You'll like Poppy.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Checking back in…just got back from 3 nights in Carmel. Flew AA non-stop from DFW to MRY (so convenient!). Called Pebble before we took off and confirmed a 7:40AM (second off) tee time for the next morning (Thursday). That was the only "guaranteed to finish" tee time left. I love playing early, so it was perfect.

I'm a 13 hc, played 1-up from tips. Paired with a couple of dudes from Mississippi and another single from Boulder. The guys from Mississippi had a Caddy (Scott) who was awesome. He helped all 4 of us all round. My wife rode with me, and she had a great time. If I didn't have her with me, I definitely would have walked…and I will walk it when I go back.

Perfect weather.

Shot an 86. I couldn't sink a putt to save my life, but I was very happy with my game and score. Irons were on fire, and with those tiny greens, it was the difference maker.

I played Poppy Hills the next morning. Great track. Thanks for the recommendation.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Awesome!!!
Matsui
AG
That is friggin awesome. Looks fabulous

Where'd you eat and drink in Carmel?
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Stayed 2 nights at Hideaway and 1 night at L'Auberge. Both fantastic, but L'Auberge is top notch. They have a Michelin star rated restaurant that we did not try.

1st night, ate at Roy's at sunset on the patio to get the full bagpiper experience. Food was meh.

Second day, after the round, we had a beer at Pebble Tap Room, then ate lunch and drank at the Bench while watching the action on 18. Dinner was at La Bicyclette. DEFINITELY recommend. Get a reservation.

3rd night (Friday), we went down to Mission Ranch (Clint Eastwood's (former?) place). Very cool scenery. Food was also meh, but the atmosphere was fun, and they had a piano bar, so we stayed there and drank. Met some new friends, got waaaay too drunk, ended up in Monterrey at the Canary or something…gets very blurry.

Mission Ranch:

Matsui
AG
La Bicyclette - ate there as well last month. Outstanding.
dc509
AG
After reading this and seeing the pictures I think I'm going to have to book another trip to Pebble.
84HartAg
AG
Leaving Sat after Thanksgiving. Staying at Inn at Spanish Bay. Playing Pebble Sun. Hope weather doesn't screw me.
AggieDruggist89
AG
It will be chilly in the morning and at sunset and you will want to finish your round by 4:45 as it's getting dark early. Especially if the marine layer rolls in. We had a group of 8 outing at Bayonet/Black Horse past weekend and the golf gods smiled upon us and gave us sunny calm 75 degrees both Sat and Sunday with no clouds. The best weather of the year.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.