You have time to play one course in Monterey Bay, which one would it be?

9,348 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
htownag2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's my thinking as well. Pasatiempo it is.
E
AG
Got my tee time scheduled for early tomorrow 6:40 AM at Pebble!
jonj101
Good deal.

Has the gf come through on Cypress Point yet?
E
AG
Nope, she couldn't get me on Cypress Point... but I promoted her to fiance yesterday anyway
jonj101
E said:

Nope, she couldn't get me on Cypress Point... but I promoted her to fiance yesterday anyway
Congrats!

AggieDruggist89
AG
E said:

Are u going out solo?

Have you listened to the bagpiper at Spanish Bay yet?

Are u only playing one round?
investorAg83
AG
Pebble for the cache. Spyglass for the challenge. Encore round at Spanish, either way. Great sunset views and the bagpiper plus cocktails to finish the day is where it's at.
E
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

E said:

Are u going out solo?

Going out solo but the fiance will be tagging along and riding with me. Don't know if I'm only one playing in my group yet...

Haven't listened to bagpipers yet, driving into Monterey this afternoon. We are planning on sitting at the patio tomorrow night for dinner and watch it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Awesome man.

Bagpiper comes around 6. The Patio will be cold. Bundle up. Roy's is right next to it and protected from wind.

We are walking Poppy Sunday morning. But playing Black horse on Saturday after 2. $54 riding.
Hell I'll cover your green fees and beer. Let me know if you wanna play. I just have a 2 some. My buddy gorilla and I. The boy who started the MISIG craze.

Gonna end up playing 6 rounds of golf this weekend.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I don't know what your plans are but try to spend some time in Carmel by the Sea instead of the Cannery Row and the wharf. Sure... Go visit but much better ambiance and food in Carmel.
EKUAg
AG
JCA1 said:

RiverAg 80 said:

Cypress Point is the one, EOT. That is, if you can get on.

Spoiler alert - you can't.

I did. Friend's parents live next to the pro. Got to play it once in 1984.
E
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Awesome man.

Bagpiper comes around 6. The Patio will be cold. Bundle up. Roy's is right next to it and protected from wind.

We are walking Poppy Sunday morning. But playing Black horse on Saturday after 2. $54 riding.
Hell I'll cover your green fees and beer. Let me know if you wanna play. I just have a 2 some. My buddy gorilla and I. The boy who started the MISIG craze.

Gonna end up playing 6 rounds of golf this weekend.

Appreciate the offer man! Unfortunately we are only spending a couple nights in Monterey and driving down to Santa Barbara Friday afternoon and then LA Saturday to fly home.

Your weekend golf trip sounds awesome!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Playing black horse right now. Overcast and 10+ mph wind. It's freezing.
E
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I don't know what your plans are but try to spend some time in Carmel by the Sea instead of the Cannery Row and the wharf. Sure... Go visit but much better ambiance and food in Carmel.

On the way to Carmel for dinner we drove down Cannery... she said yeah I'm ok not coming back lol. Had a great dinner at Vesuvio and walked a little on the beach
AggieDruggist89
AG
Don't forget to do the entire 17 mile drive.

Just got done played 27 holes in 3.5 hours. My hands and ears are frozen.

Downtown pacific Grove is nice but downtown Monterey is not.
Rubble
AG
E said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

E said:

Are u going out solo?

Going out solo but the fiance will be tagging along and riding with me. Don't know if I'm only one playing in my group yet...

Haven't listened to bagpipers yet, driving into Monterey this afternoon. We are planning on sitting at the patio tomorrow night for dinner and watch it.

Walk.you'll thank me later
AggieDruggist89
AG
No report???
E
AG
My bad, currently having lunch at Nepenthe in Bug Sur... will report back once we get to Santa Barbara
Duckhook
AG
E said:

My bad, currently having lunch at Nepenthe in Bug Sur... will report back once we get to Santa Barbara

Nepenthe. Neat spot.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ain't nothing in Santa Barbara. Stop in Solvang for some Danish food.

Prepare your mind for insane traffic. Be careful.
E
AG
Alright, finally back home from an awesome trip to SF, Sonoma, and Monterey.

Pebble Beach was more awesome then I could have imagined. Very glad I sacked up and paid for it!

Had a 6:40 tee time to which we did not get there early enough to warm up which was a big mistake. With having two bulged discs in my lower back, I have to get a good warmup/stretch or else my play in the colder weather is horrible. Even with having the worst ball striking day in two years, it was still worth every penny.

We got a cart so my now fiancee could ride along, which I walked about half the course, mainly to the green from approach shots and some tee shots to second shots. Unfortunately I can't carry a bag for 18 holes anymore.

I did get my forecaddie fee refunded becuase the pro shop only told the caddie that the threesome I was paired with had paid for it (they arrived earlier) and caddie did not know I paid for it. After hole 7, I got tired of hearing responses to my questions being "the 150 stick is right there", "you can see the flag from here", the distance is on the score card", so I had to confront him and ask if he knew I paid. After that he was very helpful and then told the shop to refund my charge.

Hole 1 - Aim left! I had a buddy that I was messaging who had played alot texted me this about 5 mins after tee shot... which I had aimed left cause I definitely sliced it into the crap right
Hole 4 - finally had a playable second shot after tee shot... albeit was a couple feet from going right into the water. This was the hole that I felt got the first stunning pebble beach view
Hole 5 - found the green... then 3 putted
Hole 6 - probably my favorite hole to play. Driver then 4 iron and barely made it over the hill... awesome views
Hole 7 - so cool in person... didn't know I could ever yank an 85 yard shot that far left...
Hole 8 - probably the best second / approach shot in golf
Holes 9, 10, 11 - crazy stunning views
Hole 10 - first par of the day! took a while
Hole 11 - had a temporary green but glad the caddie finally started giving advise with the blind tee shot
Hole 14 - temp seemed to drop 20 degrees but got out of this tough hole with a bogey!
Hole 15 - nearly hit a deer with my topped drive...
Hole 16 - very cool approach shot to green, even avoided the big tree in the way!
Hole 17 - birdie! stuck a 5 iron to 10 ft and made a putt.. I love this game again, i'm back baby!
Hole 18 - as cool in person as you think... don't want to even count how many strokes it took to put the ball in hole haha

We had a nice lunch at one of the restaurants over looking the 18 green which I highly suggest everyone to do. The pro shop clothing is very overpriced... highly suggest people go to the shop a couple stores down where they have like Adidas type gear and clothing pricing was more normal. Proud of myself to get out of there for under $200!

Took the 17 mile drive all the way around after lunch and back to the hotel in Monterey. For dinner we went to the patio at Spanish Bay, sat by the firepits, and had cocktails and cheese board while listening to the bagpiper play. Was a pretty cool moment.

Definitely want to come play Spanish Bay next time I come, it looked every bit as cool as Pebble from where we walked around at.

Ate a Vesuvio in Carmel the night before, good italian restaurant with great Pizza. If its in your budget, stay in Carmel and not Monterey.

Everywhere seemed pretty relaxed about the mask policy... SF, Healdsburg/Sonoma, Monterey/Carmel all seemed to act like they do here in Houston so it wasnt a big deal.

Can't wait to come back!

I sold my Dogecoin too soon or else we'd be planning our wedding here! lol

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Great report thank you ! Bucket list for sure.....
AggieDruggist89
Matsui
jonj101
Great pics and great summary. Love seeing posts like this on this board.

Thanks for sharing.
htownag2007
AG
I'm headed there in just over one month. We don't have any dinner plans yet. We are staying at the Lodge at Pebble. What are the recs y'all would suggest for dinners? We'd probably want to do a combination of both on-location and offsite. Open on pricing, but don't want to break the bank every meal. Thanks
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

I'm headed there in just over one month. We don't have any dinner plans yet. We are staying at the Lodge at Pebble. What are the recs y'all would suggest for dinners? We'd probably want to do a combination of both on-location and offsite. Open on pricing, but don't want to break the bank every meal. Thanks

Htown, I know we're there at the same time. One thing we're doing is eating at Roy's at Spanish Bay. Timing that to enjoy the bagpiper show on the patio and then go eat. Roy's is right off of the patio.

We're also doing The Tap Room one night.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Y'all know Roy's is a chain restaurant. But their Short rib is just awesome.

Make reservations now for Roy's.

For the first time, there were no seats at the Patio 2 weeks ago.

There's no shortage of restaurants in Pacific Grove (right outside of PB) away from the Cannery Row and nearby cities: Carmel by the Sea, seaside, sand city, Marina... Etc.
Duckhook
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Y'all know Roy's is a chain restaurant. But their Short rib is just awesome.

Make reservations now for Roy's.

For the first time, there were no seats at the Patio 2 weeks ago.

There's no shortage of restaurants in Pacific Grove (right outside of PB) away from the Cannery Row and nearby cities: Carmel by the Sea, seaside, sand city, Marina... Etc.

Yeah, I know it's a chain. But it's just so convenient to the patio to make it an easy place to have a nice meal since we're going to be there anyway.

Htown, we're playing one round at Tehama with a member. He recommended Cafe Rustica, for what it's worth.
htownag2007
AG
What's your schedule? I fly in Tuesday the 17th, play Pasatiempo that afternoon, Pebble and the Hay the next day, Spanish Bay and Pebble Thursday, and Spyglass then fly home Friday.
sundaytiger13
AG
htownag2007 said:

Highly suggest Tap Room and the Bench at the Lodge. For a great pizza try out la bicyclette in Carmel. Have fun! Just got back from Monterey and you'll get to try out the new 14th green at Spyglass if you're going in August. Right now it's basically a long par 4 with the temporary green.
Duckhook
AG
htownag2007 said:

What's your schedule? I fly in Tuesday the 17th, play Pasatiempo that afternoon, Pebble and the Hay the next day, Spanish Bay and Pebble Thursday, and Spyglass then fly home Friday.

We're making a pretty long trip of it due to Southwest screwing up our outbound flight. Get to San Jose Saturday the 14th, 3 nights in Pacific Grove with another couple, golf at Tehama on Tuesday, go to Pebble on Wednesday the 18th, golf at Pebble on the 19th, Spanish Bay on the 20th. Fly out on Saturday.

To respond to sundaytiger, we've got reservations at the Tap Room too. Thanks for the other Carmel suggestion.
htownag2007
AG
We are going to finish at Pasatiempo around 6-7 and then driving down to Pebble. Any good dinner recs on the way? Probably won't eat in Carmel that night since we'll be getting there late.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Phil's Seafood in Moss Landing on the way down to MRY from Santa Cruz (obscure location across PCH from a power plant) is world famous for their Cioppiono and it is good. Unfortunately they close at 7.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Fellas, bring a jacket or sweater. 3 to 4 weeks ago, we were flirting with sunny 70s weather. Past 2 weeks and I guess rest of the summer til September, it may be overcast low 60s and windy.

It's freaking bone chilling.

I'm 1.5 miles from the ocean and get sunny dry weather but I can go a few hundred yards toward the ocean and it's covered in marine layer and moldy. Microclimate every pocket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.