Frustrated with Briarcrest

15,153 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broncos said:

Played Briarcrest yesterday. Started around 2. Had around 6 singles we let play through during our round.

Sounds like a wide open day out there.
Broncos
I have failed as a golfer.
Broncos
I wasn't posting to complain. Just pointing out how many singles play Briarcrest.

It was definitely more crowded than it was prior to the merger but it wasn't unbearable as some have been saying.
07fta07
AG
bagger05 said:

Broncos said:

Played Briarcrest yesterday. Started around 2. Had around 6 singles we let play through during our round.

Sounds like a wide open day out there.

But should a group really be expected to let 6 singles play though? I understand letting 1 or 2 through, but at some point it becomes a problem.
bagger05
AG
That's a good point. It's not difficult to let people through but it is a PITA.
DannyDuberstein
AG
On Wednesday they aren't going to have singles sit around in the clubhouse waiting for a game. That's just how it is with weekday golf. Gotta be flexible. You start becoming unfriendly to singles during the week when the course is fairly open, they will go elsewhere and you're gonna screw your business. Those tend to be your frequent flyers that are showing up every week (sometimes multiple times).
CTGilley
AG
On the weekend I often play the skins game at noon. That way I am not a single.
The Milkman
AG
I finally realized what I realize the analogy for many of the comments in this thread.

Its like the people who drive in the lefthand lane on the freeway going 65. Sure you are going the speed limit. But get out of the way if I come up behind you at 75
DannyDuberstein
AG
yes, that is a good analogy. And to take it further, if you're doing 65mph in the left lane, but you are keeping up with a stream of traffic in front of you and there's really nowhere for any of us to go, then I don't have an issue with you being there. The issue is when you're 65 in the left lane and there are no cars in front of you.
Thisguy1
Which people on the thread? A lot of people are talking about what DD said where it's more like you're sitting in traffic but you want to do 75 so everyone should just move out of the way so you can go ahead and wait behind the next guy who's also stuck in traffic.
The Milkman
AG
There were comments about how you a 4 hour round isnt a pace of play issue because thats just how long it should take.
bagger05
AG
The Milkman said:

I finally realized what I realize the analogy for many of the comments in this thread.

Its like the people who drive in the lefthand lane on the freeway going 65. Sure you are going the speed limit. But get out of the way if I come up behind you at 75

Not a great analogy. I don't care how fast you're going, stay out of the left lane unless you are actively passing someone.
agsalaska
AG
The Milkman said:

There were comments about how you a 4 hour round isnt a pace of play issue because thats just how long it should take.

During regular tee times a four hour round is not a pace of play issue. That's what you should expect and what should be expected of you whether you are buy yourself or in a fivesome.

The entire course shouldn't step aside for a single or twosome as long as 1. You are within a hole of the group in front of you and 2. You are playing at a 4 hour pace.

Do you disagree with that?
The Milkman
AG
If it is backed up and there's nowhere to go then sure. If a two some has space in front of them and plays a 4 hour round then yeah there's a problem.
agsalaska
AG
The Milkman said:

If it is backed up and there's nowhere to go then sure. If a two some has space in front of them and plays a 4 hour round then yeah there's a problem.
OK. That pretty much what I said. If everyone is keeping up and we are all playing in 4 hours then we are good.

This thread started different but has probably run its course for me.
investorAg83
AG
Just rolled up to the box for an 822 tee time. There are three groups waiting to tee off because the course booked tee times 4 min apart. Ridiculous.

Twin Creeks in Allen.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
investorAg83 said:

Just rolled up to the box for an 822 tee time. There are three groups waiting to tee off because the course booked tee times 4 min apart. Ridiculous.

Twin Creeks in Allen.

That one, along with Ridgeview, and Westridge all do that. Almost skip them entirely now.
KidDoc
AG
Played today at 2:20 with a twosome. Crowded but pace was fine ended up finishing at 6:40 so a little long. Course was in pretty darn good shape.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dlbarnes76
AG
Read the first couple of pages of this post then skipped to the end as there are plenty of good points being made, but splitting hairs or comparing apples to oranges going on too. I don't understand why golf courses don't manage the groups and pairings better. Lived in Amarillo for 23 years and played a lot of golf on the city courses. On weekends you could show up as a single or twosome and they would pair you up with another group to make a foursome. Sometimes you might sit there for awhile before you got on or if you had time constraints or lack of patience you might not get on, but the pace of play was much more even without all the small/odd groups. Around here it seems like the inmates are running the asylum and anything goes. If you don't like being paired up with folks you don't know, might make sense to find a less crowded venue and/or play at times that are more conducive to singles/twosomes. Also, as far as letting groups play through, if you've lost contact with the group in front of you, by all means let group behind you play through (assuming they are having to wait on you). Being considerate of others and exercising a bit of common sense shouldn't be that difficult.
DLB76
Zombie
I finally left and joined Pebble. Single on Sunday, 11:00am tee time. 3 hour round. And that was with getting a little backed up on the back nine. Much much better.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Playing this afternoon with my brother. Tee times looked pretty open but I will report back pace of play and course conditions.

I usually play the campus course now but wanted a change and saving money while doing so. I grew up a member of Briarcrest and man was it my favorite course. Always in great condition too....hoping for a little nostalgia today.
Txroper
AG
salloh_tamu said:

Playing this afternoon with my brother. Tee times looked pretty open but I will report back pace of play and course conditions.

I usually play the campus course now but wanted a change and saving money while doing so. I grew up a member of Briarcrest and man was it my favorite course. Always in great condition too....hoping for a little nostalgia today.
Get ready to be disappointed. Played there Wednesday in the 2 man scramble and man has it gone down hill.
Zombie
Ya, it is nowhere near as nice as it was 15 years ago. Now that it is muni, it is getting worn out even faster
Thisguy1
Zombie said:

Ya, it is nowhere near as nice as it was 15 years ago. Now that it is muni, it is getting worn out even faster

I don't know that I agree with that. Last summer it was as bad as I've ever seen it. We couldn't get a tee in the ground and the greens were just as hard. We didn't fix a divot all day and it wasn't for lack of hitting the greens. It was as if they watered once a week at best. I played it Sunday morning and it wasn't any worse than it was the fall before the merger.

I do know management isn't happy with the shape of the course. It's a good thing to see because I didn't think Wallis gave two ****s about golf before pretty recently.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
It is definitely a step down from when it was private but it is in better shape than a year ago. It will get run down quick though. Today alone, I saw several college kids driving carts almost on the greens and chunking shots and not fixing divots. Greens were actually pretty fast but had some crab grass bumps. Speed of play was fine, had one jack hole group we waited on a few holes so we just took our time and it was fine.
CTGilley
AG
I am not sure what is going on but it sure has been empty for a holiday weekend. The only time I have seen any kind of crowd is the early morning group and when the noon group comes by. The rest of the time I have only seen one foursome at a time and I can see 15-17.
Yesterday
AG
Welcome to 95+ degree golf. I love it. I can usually go out around 1:30-2pm and there's no one out. Take a wet towel and some ice water and you're goood.
CTGilley
AG
I know that is what the thermometer days but it feels nice in the shade.
DannyDuberstein
AG
For whatever reason, holiday weekends are always pretty dead at my home course (particularly the afternoon). Seems counterintuitive. But people are just busy with cookouts and doing family stuff, and I think part of the reason is that many regular golfers are still just playing once over the weekend. But now the rounds are spread over 3 days vs 2.
EKUAg
AG
The Milkman said:

We have laws against that in Indiana. If you hold up traffic in the left lane, even doing the speed limit or more, you can be pulled over.
Broncos
On Wednesday's during the shootout will Briarcrest let people play the 9 not being used?
KidDoc
AG
We played a round Saturday at 4 and although I wasn't happy with my score I thought the course was in pretty excellent shape overall. My only complaint was some very dry and hard tee boxes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
I've played solo Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 (golf now hot deal $18) for the last 3 weeks and the course is in very good shape. Greens are even and fast, fairways overall are nice, bathrooms are repaired. My main complaint the last two weeks have been the tee boxes being way too firm and hard to plant a deep tee but that was better this week likely due to the rain on Monday/Tuesday.

Part of the tee box complaint is my issue as I cannot keep my driver on the fairway so I'm using my 3 wood and teeing up very low.

Now if I could only stay out of the water on 1 and the par 3 (15?) I may break 100 without significant mulligans.
Thisguy1
The course overall is looking a lot better, but the greens still need some work. The balls we're bouncing all over the place Wednesday evening. They're punching smaller areas of the greens more often, but haven't been top dressing afterwards.

They need to get a roller.
dallasiteinsa02
Went off at 8:15 on a Saturday with a 4 some right ahead of our 4 some at Briarcrest. They didn't have a tee time but no one seemed to care at the golf shop. It took 3.5 hours to play nine holes before we could jump in front of them. The group ahead of us was just terrible. Second shots were routinely 100 yards from the tee box and 100 yards off line for all four of them. We didn't want to skip a hole and they were quick to get their shanks off at the next tee even though they were clearly holding up the entire course. We then got to wait for them to hit four or five shots each before we hit our drives. I saw the marshall at hole 4 and issued my complaint. His exact words were, "they aren't playing slow." I will never go back. I would rather drive to Hearne to play. Which happens to be in much better condition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.