Frustrated with Briarcrest

15,147 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Old Tom Morris
DadAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Raise the green fees 100% and only allow twosomes.
jja79
AG
Not today.ots not uncommon to see 4 on the green, 4 in the fairway and 2 or 3 foursomes on the tee.
cjsag94
AG
I frequently play Thursday afternoon with one other guy. Course is reasonably crowded, and it is frustrating as we sit and wait on most shots because I'm getting older and things tend to tighten up! I have no desire to pinball my way through half the holes playing through every group of 4 on the course...what fun is that.

Where I get frustrated is when a group of 2 comes up behind us, and refuses to join our group...instead we spend the day sandwiched between those 2 and the group in front of us.

I love being on the course, I just relax and open another cold one! I don't go out there to see how quickly I can get back to the real world.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
During peak hours, you should absolutely expect to get paired with other golfers if you are a single or double.

Regardless of time/pace, you should let the group behind you play through IF they are faster AND there is room. Simple courtesy. It's still a gentlemen's game...I HOPE.

The idea that singles have no business on a golf course is ridiculous. If I'm out at twilight on a Tuesday afternoon (or first thing in the AM) and the foursome in front of me is holding me up when there's a ton of room in front of them, I'd be pissed too. Let me play through one shot and you'll never see me again.

A lot of the blame is on the course for trying to sandwich as many golfers as possible. Three 5-somes teeing off within 6-7 minutes of one another is BS (yeah I know, at YOUR club they still play a 4-hour round...). Lots of courses compress tee times too much and then don't ensure the groups are actually getting out on time and maintaining pace of play. This is probably the number one reason I'll be joining a private club soon.
laavispa
Just came in from Pecan Lakes (I played the new muni last Tuesday). World of difference in pace of play and condition of course. Tuesday is supposed to be Pecan's busiest day so I was really pleased with pace of play- yep there was some waiting but still got around in 3.5. Cousre is in MUCH better shape compared to Phillips.

Will continue to alternate but for right now Pecan hands down.
agsalaska
AG
For the record, nobody said that singles have no business on a golf course. They said they have no standing. And specifically during tee time hours. Which I agree with. And I play as a single quite a bit.

Sooper Jeenyus
AG
agsalaska said:

For the record, nobody said that singles have no business on a golf course. They said they have no standing. And specifically during tee time hours. Which I agree with. And I play as a single quite a bit.
So, if you're playing a twilight round, as a single, with only a few golfers on the course and you're waiting for every shot behind a foursome with nothing but room in front of them, you're OK with them not allowing you to play through?
Chipotlemonger
AG
You're putting some words into what he said. That is a very loose application of what he is saying.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
"No standing" seems pretty clear but if there's an official designation I'm overlooking, I'm all ears.
Chipotlemonger
AG
"No standing" Doesn't mean that you can't simply play through in obvious situation.

Also, if the single played through to merely get in front of the foursome then slowed down their own play, that'd be a problem too. Doubt that would happen but you never know.

No standing simply means they can't reserve their entire tee time for themselves. They may need to buddy up with other golfers.
07fta07
AG
It also means the course isn't going to space out other groups more than a standard tee time so you can show up as a single and play in the middle of them (and then expect to play through them).
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Guess I overlooked the portion of the thread where that was ever assumed. I don't know anyone who expects to reserve a tee time for one and not potentially get paired.

Someone assert otherwise?
DannyDuberstein
AG
A lot more courses are taking tee times for singles now. The other 3 spots remain open to be filled, as they should.

With the fall off in rec participation, I think the days of the already assembled 4some have declined a lot vs the old days. Lots more 2-3's now, so being willing to take singles in advance is actually better for business (and efficiently filling the tee sheet). If you're stuck in the old mode where a single is limited to the walkup list and isn't sure if they'll be running to the tee when they show up or waiting more than an hour, you're at a disadvantage vs the course down the street that is willing to give them a time
agsalaska
AG

First, I said specifically during tee time hours. You referred to twilight hours. Of course you should let a single thru in your example.

Both the OP and like the third or fourth poster referred to the course being too crowded for them to play fast as singles or a twosomes, as if that is somehow a problem that the course should do something about. Like not put big groups together to accommodate them. That's where the original 'no standing' comment came from. Basically a single should not expect to be able to reserve an entire tee time during tee time hours. And, during regular tee time hours, if a single does end up playing, the groups in front of them have no obligation to let them thru assuming they are playing at a 4 hour pace and are keeping within view of the group in front of them.

If I tee off at 1 pm as a foursome on a relatively busy day and am within a hole of the group in front of me and I have a single behind me he is **** out of luck. And if I am a golf course I would do nothing to accommodate a single during regular tee time hours. The entire course should not have to step aside so a single can play at a singles pace. That was the point.
KidDoc
AG
My wife and I just started playing a bit over a year ago, maybe 20-30 rounds in. We have only played around Aggieland so far (well one round in Marksville, LA) and have yet to be paired up when we start as a pair. I'm happy about it as we suck and I think a decent golfer would get annoyed at the mulligans/hacks but we are having a good time.

We did let a solo guy through last Wednesday but he ended up just getting stuck behind the foursome ahead of us after one hole. It is just weird seeing the local courses crowded on a weekday. Personally I'm not in a big hurry and enjoy hanging out on the course but my wife gets annoyed when crowded from someone behind us.

I'm glad the course is busy as hopefully that will mean good long term survival and maintenance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
I've had a solo stand on the tee box behind us as we were waiting on the fivesome ahead of us to hit their approach, as they were waiting on the group to get off the green. As we're waiting, he got frustrated and asked us if we were going to let him play through. We asked where he planned on going because you could see it stacked up the whole way. (It was on the par 5 sandwiched between par 3s at the Campus Course. Hole 6.) He got frustrated and jumped in front of a group on the par 3 ahead of us and made it worse.

That whole stretch there can get crazy busy. You have a driveable 4 on hole 4, a par 3, a par 5 where longer guys can get there in 2, a par 3, then another driveable 4.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As much as I really enjoy playing a driveable par 4, they are kind of a pace of play disaster on a busy course.
Thisguy1
I agree. Unless the guys are all on the green, we won't wait and we'll just lay up. We had a group hit at us as we were putting the other day on the first driveable 4.
bagger05
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

As much as I really enjoy playing a driveable par 4, they are kind of a pace of play disaster on a busy course.
It's not too bad if you play it right.

Group A, once everyone is on the green, waves up Group B who is waiting on the tee box.

Once everyone in Group B has hit their drives, Group A goes about their business and putts out while Group B makes their way to their balls.

By the time Group B is in place, Group A should be done or very close to it.

Realistically, this probably isn't going to happen unless you have a marshal there directing traffic so you end up with a bad slinky effect.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree that there is a way to do it much more efficiently, but yeah, you pretty much have to station a marshal on it to get that done. There are too many idiots that don't realize they should just get out and walk 20 yards to their ball while their cart partner hits on a regular hole -> this type of math is way too complicated for them to figure out on their own.
KidDoc
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Agree that there is a way to do it much more efficiently, but yeah, you pretty much have to station a marshal on it to get that done. There are too many idiots that don't realize they should just get out and walk 20 yards to their ball while their cart partner hits on a regular hole -> this type of math is way too complicated for them to figure out on their own.
My wife & I are good about this and ready golf in general. Our slow downs come with mulligans or looking for a ball off the fairway.

The other issues is due to inconsistencies in my swing I may hit a drive 250 or 150 so I have to wait for some clearance on the fairways to tee off even though I may not even get near the group ahead of me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bagger05
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Side note, there are few things more satisfying in a round of golf than this:

- You're waiting on the green to clear on a driveable par 4 or from long range on a par 5.
- Someone in your group says "Really? Dude there's no way you're gonna get there."
- You continue to wait, then once it's clear you smoke a shot and drop one right where the people had been standing.
- You give the other guy the look that says "yeah that's why we waited" and don't have to say anything.

Optional epilogue to this story: four-putt for bogey.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Exactly - particularly the optional epilogue

Or .... as I encountered at The Tribute #13 a couple of weeks ago -> you wait and end up air-mailing the green and end up in the water behind the green.
The Milkman
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

A lot more courses are taking tee times for singles now. The other 3 spots remain open to be filled, as they should.

With the fall off in rec participation, I think the days of the already assembled 4some have declined a lot vs the old days. Lots more 2-3's now, so being willing to take singles in advance is actually better for business (and efficiently filling the tee sheet). If you're stuck in the old mode where a single is limited to the walkup list and isn't sure if they'll be running to the tee when they show up or waiting more than an hour, you're at a disadvantage vs the course down the street that is willing to give them a time
Are there really courses that wont take tee times for singles? I've truly never once encountered this ever. Every tee time I make either over the phone or online is "What time and how many players?"
07fta07
AG
A lot won't let you book as a single to start the tee time, but if they already have 2 or 3 for that tee time, they'll let you join that time.
Thisguy1
The best part about driving the green is the 3 putt par
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not as many as in the past, but yeah, as mentioned, many courses won't let a single book a particular time if all 4 spots are open. They can only layer onto an existing 2 or 3.

When booking tee times on-line, take a look at how many require you to select 2-4 golfers instead of 1-4. There are getting to be more 1-4's than there used to be, but it's not everyone.
DadAG10
From our weekly email update:

Quote:

Etiquette Moment

This week I wanted to address pace of play. I always joke with events and groups that "if you can't see the group in front of you, your group has the pace problem". I say this to be funny, but as we all can agree, the one thing we all find ourselves with "less of" these days is time. I'd ask that each of you take a moment to think about your personal pace when playing the game and even about how your groups address pace as you play the course. Here are some tips to help keep your pace up:

1. Start smart Make it a point to arrive at the tee early with your equipment in order, ready to play.
2. Try alternate forms of play to speed up your round Match Play, Stableford, best-ball and other formats are easy and fun alternatives to individual stroke play.
3. Minimize your time on the tee On the tee it is usually acceptable for players to "hit when ready". You can also save time by playing a provisional ball if you think your original ball might be lost of out of bounds.
4. Plan your shot before you get to your ball Once you are off the tee, think ahead. Determine your yardage and make your club selection before it is your turn to play.
5. Keep your pre shot routine short
6. Aim to play in 20 seconds From club selection to pre shot routine to execution, strive to hit your shot in 20 seconds when it is your turn to play.
7. Develop an eye for distance You don't have to step off yardage for every shot.
8. When sharing a cart, use the "buddy" system Don't wait in the cart while your cart mate hits and then drive to your ball. Get out and walk to your ball with a few clubs. Be ready to play when it is your turn and then let your cart mate pick you up.

Using these tips can help maintain an acceptable pace and speed up the game for everyone!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nice. I'd like to see more courses put this kind of thing on the scorecard and/or a sign in the cart, and maybe even a sign on the first tee.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
jja79 said:

Not Briarcrest related but I live at Gleannloch in Spring and this morning around 8 when I passed the 1st hole there was a 3 some in the fairway and 14 carts at the tee box. I can't even imagine.
This is how Westridge in Frisco/McKinney is. I love that course and the 6/6/6 layout, but they stack people on there way too much.
CTGilley
AG
gman-79 said:

My FIL has been a golf pro for 49 years and as long as I have known him he has used the phrase " a onesome has no standing on a golf course". He is a pro emeritus now but when he was in charge he never let less than a threesome go off before noon on a Saturday.

According to USGA, this is an old, repeated misinterpretation of the rules. They published a write up a few years back and was to be addressed in the revision of the rules. When I am not on mobile I will find it.
bagger05
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

jja79 said:

Not Briarcrest related but I live at Gleannloch in Spring and this morning around 8 when I passed the 1st hole there was a 3 some in the fairway and 14 carts at the tee box. I can't even imagine.
This is how Westridge in Frisco/McKinney is. I love that course and the 6/6/6 layout, but they stack people on there way too much.
Tee times bunched too tightly is a big problem.

R&A recommends 11 or 12 minute intervals for groups of four as ideal. Many courses have intervals that are 8 minutes. Just magnifies the slinky effect that occurs when courses get backed up.

Also should be noted that letting people go early just makes the problem worse.
gman-79
AG
Quote:

According to USGA, this is an old, repeated misinterpretation of the rules
Never said it was a rule but it definitely, was reality when the course was crowded. A one was never turned away but also never allowed to go out alone. And full disclosure, I played a lot as a onesome but never when the course was crowded. I also realized that if I caught 3 groups of four or five well that was just gonna be a slow day.
IMO, the main problem today is the lack of competent starters and marshals.
Broncos
Played Briarcrest yesterday. Started around 2. Had around 6 singles we let play through during our round.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Broncos said:

Played Briarcrest yesterday. Started around 2. Had around 6 singles we let play through during our round.
WHY?!?

You were playing FAST ENOUGH. Singles have no standing...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.