Houston Country Clubs

204,734 Views | 323 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by AggieEyes
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PSA: Just got notice that Riverbend is going to $10k initiation for Equity members effective October 1st.

If you are thinking about joining you should get our application in now to get the current $6k rate.

I've now been a member for about a month.

My experience so far:

1. I play mostly Wed/Friday mornings. Very easy to get a tee time for the most part. Saturday's have been very easy as well - part of that is because it's so hot no one wants to play golf. I've hit balls on a couple of Sunday evenings and you can play anytime you want. Complete ghost town.
2. Very strong senior group. I've already met six/seven guys I can call to play a round with.
3. On the Saturdays I have been around the club there appears to be a lot of younger executive guys playing money games, in addition to the established games.
4. Course has been in pretty amazing condition considering the lack of rain. One fairway near the #7 green is getting crusty but I'm told it's because that area will not hold water well. Greens are good.
5. I love the course - as someone told me, you have to use every club in your bag at times to get around the course.
6. Pace of play has been very good. Played nine this morning in about 1:40.
7. Food is good in the mens locker room, and on Saturday there is a good crowd of people.
8. I've yet to step in the main dining room, workout facility, pool, or tennis courts. Expect I will play some pickleball once the weather turns, as my wife likes to play.

If anyone is interested you can PM me with specific questions.

jonj101
Yeah, I got that same notice from the membership director.

Just so happened that I moved to stock last week at my club, so bad timing for me. Buy for anyone on the fence they should take advantage - compared to other clubs in the area its a great deal.
Gig-Em2003
AG
What's the word on new Lakeside redo?
Mr07Ag
AG
It's done and the course is back open as of mid-December. I'm really happy with it but it does need ~12 months to really grow in and for them to make some tweaks here and there. The greens are tough and with different pin placements, they have the ability to really make you think.

The putting complex and short game area is phenomenal. It is a great addition and something LCC was missing. I haven't played the par 3 yet but I have heard it is really fun.
David_Puddy
AG
Not sure why anyone would pay the $150k to join Lakeside. I've got buddies there that will tell you it's not worth it. Always packed & almost impossible to get a weekend tee time
1Aggie99
AG
What is the initiation fee/dues since reopened if they are taking on new membership?
dallasag12
AG
Life took a couple of unexpected, unfortunate turns early 2023 that had us hold off on joining anywhere, but we did move to West U. Now that we have made it through, we are back to looking. Looks like it's between Braeburn & Westwood based on convenience. Hopefully playing Braeburn with a member in the next couple of weeks, would like to play WW too before making a decision.

Any insight into the family atmosphere at both would be appreciated. My son just got to the age where I can bring him along and he lasts at least 9 holes.
green tea
AG
Can't speak to Westwood, but Braeburn is phenomenal for families. Pool is hopping in the summer, events constantly, junior golf camps, etc. The cap on equity membership keeps it feeling small.
AggieEyes
AG
Westwood is a phenomenal golf club in exceptional condition. My neighbor is a Braeburn member so I'm there quite a bit too.

IMO Westwood's golf course has a better layout and is less quirky.

It's a challenging course which often hosts PGA qualifiers (eg. Houston Open Qualifier this past month).

It does not have other things like tennis, pool, gym, etc like Braeburn does. It's strictly golf focused. However Westwood members have reciprocal privileges at the Briarclub which has all those amenities.

The food is good to great depending on the rotating menu and club is very member centric.

I think initiation is $70k right now.

Also, whenever evaluating clubs be sure and ask about upcoming capital assessments when joining.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.