Houston Country Clubs

210,524 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by MechEAgg
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know what the current costs and initiation fees are for Black Horse, and if there are playing priviledges at GCOH and Black Hawk?

Is it the same as GCOH which is around $15K and $550/month?
07fta07
AG
I checked recently and it was $1500 down and $450/mo individual or $550/mo family. No mention of playing privileges elsewhere. There is discussion of taking the south course private which would mean another initiation fee (not a small number but unknown since it hasn't been decided that it's 100% happening) which is what has kept me from pulling the trigger until I have better information.

Edit: not sure why the crying face
E
AG
Hate to bump this again, but anyone know Blackhawks numbers?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
07fta07 said:

I checked recently and it was $1500 down and $450/mo individual or $550/mo family. No mention of playing privileges elsewhere.
Why would anyone pay that for "membership" to a public course?
07fta07
AG
Good courses. Preferred tee times. I'm not paying it but I do see why someone would. There's definitely some negatives to it with the amount of tournaments and public play though.
Aggie369
AG
It's not really a membership but unlimited golf and range for $450 a month at a public course

If they didn't hold tournaments so often and it wasn't 5 hours to play it would be a pretty good deal
beerag04
AG
Moving to the Magnolia area in the next month. Any opinions on the clubs up that way. Woodforest, Lake Windcrest, April Sound, any of the Woodlands clubs?

Woodforest would be first choice as it will be the closest, but I am not sure they are accepting new members.
07fta07
AG
Not April Sound
jja79
AG
I haven't been to Lake Wincrest in about 18 months but I really enjoyed it. Facility is pretty nice, range is plenty big and the layout in my opinion is pretty good.

And second to not April Sound.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Find a way to make Woodforest happen.
TommyBoy
beerag04 said:

Moving to the Magnolia area in the next month. Any opinions on the clubs up that way. Woodforest, Lake Windcrest, April Sound, any of the Woodlands clubs?

Woodforest would be first choice as it will be the closest, but I am not sure they are accepting new members.

Blue Jack
Texags_21
Drove by Champions Golf Club today, course looked to be in great shape. Anyone checked on membership recently? I think it's time to do it and drop clubcorp
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone hear about Bluejack having issues with their greens ?
GY_AG14
AG
I heard they are basically gone, no plan as of now to fix, may need a complete tear up
Aggie369
AG
Played 2 weeks ago

They are slow and some are worse than others but areas are pretty bumpy and recovering..they say that the trees/shade and lack of sun caused some fungus issues after the freeze but honestly I'm not sure that's the real honest answer.

I think they said 8 more weeks and they should be much improved but I'm not sure if that either
Aggie369
AG
Nah, they aren't gone

They might have to re-do parts of some greens
ZosoAg
AG
I believe they just bumped the junior exec initiation to $20K. Guessing monthly is somewhere around $550. They are a sister course to CGOH (with playing privileges).
ZosoAg
AG
Champions is ALWAY in great shape. I play it fairly regularly and have yet to see it in poor shape. I put their greens on par with any course you will play. Jackie just sold the club to his son and grandson and they just increased their initiation to $35K I believe. Rumors that they may bump it to $50K which people will happily pay for that course. I cant believe it has remained as much of a bargain as it has for so long.
cjsag94
AG
07fta07 said:

Good courses. Preferred tee times. I'm not paying it but I do see why someone would. There's definitely some negatives to it with the amount of tournaments and public play though.

It's a decent course, only a 7 day tee time window while public gets 14 days, no facilities to speak of, tournaments take up much of the course prime times of the year.

Everyone I've known that's been a member there tires of it, primarily because of the tournament overload. Only benefit would be for the value if you are someone that plays at least 2x per week all year long. Even at $100 greens fee, about 50 round per year just to break even.
BUOY
AG
you missed the window. waitlist is looooonnnggg now bud
terradactylexpress
Supposedly lakeside is shutting down in the fall to remodel the course
BUOY
AG
good they need it. 100 mil clubhouse and a $5 golf course
ChipFTAC01
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Supposedly lakeside is shutting down in the fall to remodel the course

Weren't they planning on doing that in the fall of '17 and then Harvey happened?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
BUOY said:

you missed the window. waitlist is looooonnnggg now bud
So what you're saying is, by the time I can justify the buy in, I'll be on deck? All coming up roses over here.
terradactylexpress
By the time you are on deck the buy in will be double
98Ag99Grad
AG
anyone a member at Lake Windcrest or played it recently?
bmoochie
AG
Any idea what they make those frozen jackhammers out there of? My buddy said they were amazing and was curious.
Aggie369
AG
Deep Eddie's grapefruit vodka, sprite, white cranberry or white grapefruit juice

SirDeofWood
AG
Lake Windcrest is solid right now. Playing there this Friday again.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Yeah I toured it a couple of weeks ago and joined last week. Pretty impressed so far.
beerag04
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Yeah I toured it a couple of weeks ago and joined last week. Pretty impressed so far.
If you're willing, could you share what the current rates are at Lake Windcrest? I will be looking over that way soon.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Initiation was $3k. Dues $385/mo. If you want to be able to play club corp courses all over add $40. If you want to play 6 or so local courses and not all over add $15.
AlaskanAg08
AG
The Harvey era work was only going to be a refresh of the current course, leaving the existing holes/greens in place. It was mainly planned to fix some irrigation and do some light remediation of the course.

The upcoming closure will be giving us an entirely new course. The new layout looks great and will significantly change the entire flow. As of now, the course will close down in late October/early November and will re-open in November 2023.
dallasag12
AG
Bump

Wife and I will be moving to the area this spring, ideally inside 610. Know nothing about the CC scene in Houston other than what has been posted on this thread. We are a young family so definitely want a good pool & summer activities for the kiddo, wife and I would love tennis & fitness facilities, and I'm the lone golfer. We plan on being in Houston for a long time so we want to look at everything. Any recommendations appreciated!
Aggie369
AG
Price range?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.