Houston Country Clubs

200,661 Views | 320 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 1Aggie99
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wanted to start up a new one of these (an older one is linked below). I recently moved back to the Houston area and am evaluating country club options. Wanted to share some of the intel I've gathered...

Lakeside CC - heard through friend of friend junior membership initiation is $25k + additional $15k for a clubhouse rebuild, then $400/month. Curious if this is consistent with what others have heard. Given quality of the course/layout and location, this would probably be my first choice, but need to diligence the Harvey effect a little more and verify the price tag ($40k is a bit more than I'm looking to fork over).

Riverbend CC - $600 initiation, dues of $320/month thru age 34, then $435/month thru age 39, not sure what happens when you turn 40

Golf Club of Houston - $15k initiation but discounts available on that if you pay in full, $400/month individual and $495/month family thru age 35, dues increase to $515/month individual and $610/month family after that, $22k initiation for full members but sounds like junior members don't owe additional initiation fees after turning 36, also get free green fees at Blackhorse and Black Hawk (along with the members and tournament courses at GCofH).

Champions GC - $5400 initiation through age 34, required to true up to $26k full initiation by age 35, $310/month dues for under 30, $413/month dues for 30-35, not sure what full dues are

BraeBurn CC - $10k initiation and $378/month dues for under 35 (plus an $80.month assessment which I believe is credited toward the full membership initiation), upon reaching age 35, initiation goes up to $32k and monthly dues increase to $562

Royal Oaks CC - still awaiting reply from their membership director

Anyway, it's been years since I've played any of those courses. I'm also a little out of the loop. Any additional info on these or other clubs in the area would be helpful. Thanks!

https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2103151
DantheAggie
AG
I'm a member at BraeBurn. Feel free to email me if you want some more info. I can set up a round for us if you want to check it out. BraeBurn survived the flood a lot better than lake side did. We are raising rates in January but still time to get in Bernie that. We have done a lot of work at the club in the last couple years, pool, workout facility, tennis courts, practice facility, numbers, etc. I really think it's the best value in town. Danhunsucker@Hotmail.com
Mr.Bond
AG
Seeing these makes me realize how special of a place conroe country club is..... That and I'll forever be too poor to even consider clubs like that
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

HouAggie
AG
IMO, Pine Forest is probably the best value in the Houston area. Course is always in great condition and having 27 holes makes it never too busy to get a tee time, unlike some of the others you listed. If Lakeside is a good location for you, perhaps Pine Forest would also be fairly convenient.
HouAggie
AG
I would take GCoH out of consideration. I don't know any members there or at any of the affiliated properties who are happy with their corporate oversight, and I think that club will further suffer when the PGA event leaves.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I recently joined Northgate due to close proximity to my office. I realize OP probably isn't evaluating these club options but just throwing this info out there for others that may run across this thread as I recently went through this process as well.

Northgate
Membership- Jr. / YEX (valid up to age 34)
Intitiation - $500 (but can typically be waived)
Commitment - 30 days notice of cancellation
Monthly- $165 + carts ($16) or $200 all inc.
Holes - 18 (Bridges & Creek) & 5 "practice" (Bunkers)
Clubhouse/locker room - adequate
Guest fees - $65 + cart (peak) / $49 + cart (off peak)

Raveneaux
Membership- Jr. / YEX (valid up to age 40)
Intitiation - $500
Commitment - 3 month intro/trial, 12 month commitment thereafter
Monthly- $185 all inc.
Holes - 18
Guest fees - $75

Thanks & Gig 'Em
jja79
AG
I passed by both of those this past week. How did Northgate fare in the flood? It looks like some creek residue is still on the back side at Raveneaux.

My son has played several tournaments at Northgate and enjoyed it.
Deluxe
AG
HouAggie said:

IMO, Pine Forest is probably the best value in the Houston area. Course is always in great condition and having 27 holes makes it never too busy to get a tee time, unlike some of the others you listed. If Lakeside is a good location for you, perhaps Pine Forest would also be fairly convenient.
Thanks for the info. I have a buddy at Pine Forest and should have included that in my initial info gathering quest. Are you a member out there? If not, any ideas about initiation/dues? Thanks.
Deluxe
AG
thunderkatalyst said:

I recently joined Northgate due to close proximity to my office. I realize OP probably isn't evaluating these club options but just throwing this info out there for others that may run across this thread as I recently went through this process as well.

Northgate
Membership- Jr. / YEX (valid up to age 34)
Intitiation - $500 (but can typically be waived)
Commitment - 30 days notice of cancellation
Monthly- $165 + carts ($16) or $200 all inc.
Holes - 18 (Bridges & Creek) & 5 "practice" (Bunkers)
Guest fees - $65 + cart (peak) / $49 + cart (off peak)

Raveneaux
Membership- Jr. / YEX (valid up to age 40)
Intitiation - $500
Commitment - 3 month intro/trial, 12 month commitment thereafter
Monthly- $185 all inc.
Holes - 18
Guest fees - $75

Definitely appreciate the info and I'm open to all options. How's the course conditioning at NG these days? Last time I played there was in 2002. Any idea if Raveneaux got hit hard by Harvey?
jja79
AG
It did.
The Milkman
AG
Raveneaux was hit very hard... not sure if they've opened the course back up yet? As of about a month ago I know it was still closed.
rosco511
AG
I joined Pine Forest this past summer when they were doing a special. The junior membership lasts until 42, with escalations in monthly dues at 36 and then again at 39 or 40. I paid $500 initiation during the special (think it might normally be $2.5 or $3k) and monthly dues are in the $350 range.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
It's actually been open for a while. I'm not a member but drive by almost every day.

Didn't realize their rates were that competitive now. Looked into that club and Northgate a while back. Never pulled the trigger on either but preferred Northgate at the time. May have to reconsider.
garym2001
AG
I'd say a lot depends on where you live.

Champions- 2 really good courses and a legendary locker room. If you are a single digit player, it doesn't get much better. I'd be curious to learn what the succession plan for Jackie is before you join.

BraeBurn- nice course and overall good club. Good young membership.

GCoH- I like the courses out there but have never felt a "club" atmosphere.

Lakeside- Great club and nice course. I'd be hesitant with all of the work necessary due to flood. May not have a club house for 2 years. That may not be an issue though as the wait may be longest there if the ones you've listed.

Riverbend- great locker room and nice course. I know the head pro out there and he's a really good guy.

Royal Oaks- nice facilities and decent course. Membership tends to live in the neighborhood. Lot of expats.
dke51773
AG
Rav has around 15 holes open, but they are putting some cash in it to bring it back up to better than before. If you want to check it out let me know.
fairviewcrew
Lakeside wait list pre-Harvey was 5 years for a Junior and 2 for a full equity....

It's going to be quicker post Harvey... but a lot of guys waiting around to see how many members drop and increased initiation
Deluxe
AG
garym2001 said:

I'd say a lot depends on where you live.

Champions- 2 really good courses and a legendary locker room. If you are a single digit player, it doesn't get much better. I'd be curious to learn what the succession plan for Jackie is before you join.

BraeBurn- nice course and overall good club. Good young membership.

GCoH- I like the courses out there but have never felt a "club" atmosphere.

Lakeside- Great club and nice course. I'd be hesitant with all of the work necessary due to flood. May not have a club house for 2 years. That may not be an issue though as the wait may be longest there if the ones you've listed.

Riverbend- great locker room and nice course. I know the head pro out there and he's a really good guy.

Royal Oaks- nice facilities and decent course. Membership tends to live in the neighborhood. Lot of expats.

Thanks for the insight
Deluxe
AG
rosco511 said:

I joined Pine Forest this past summer when they were doing a special. The junior membership lasts until 42, with escalations in monthly dues at 36 and then again at 39 or 40. I paid $500 initiation during the special (think it might normally be $2.5 or $3k) and monthly dues are in the $350 range.

Oh wow, that's not bad at all
AG
The Northgate course actually fared well in Harvey. Better than the the Memorial Day floods last year. They reopened relatively quickly with only minor course repairs needed. The course is in good shape. Obviously not the same level as Champions but still a good value.
The first floor of club, carts & cart barn, & tennis facilities took the majority of the damage during Harvey and are still in process of being repaired.
The tennis facilities are open but still using loaner carts. Luckily locker rooms are on the second floor.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
jf8
Member at Riverbend, when you hit 40 dues go up to $550 a month. Lakeside was planning to be closed for a year before Harvey hit, my assumption is that it will be a bit longer now.
StoutAg
AG
Not sure if Champions changed it, or if it matters, but at one point you had to have an established handicap of 14 or less to join.

Raveneaux made me sick when they closed down that 18. I grew up as a member there so I really enjoyed the course. (Honestly wish my dad would've gone with Champions instead of Raveneaux though).

I had a lot of fun as a member of Hearthstone. Gave up that membership right before we started having kids (7 years ago). I actually started playing more golf when I gave up the membership because then I could play anywhere my buddies played instead of at the course I was paying dues to. I will re-evaluate memberships whenever my kids are old enough to all play (youngest is 3 now but she's not really ready for any sports).

Friends have a membership to High Meadow and love it there (I like that place too). But it isn't members only.

Also have a couple friends who enjoy Sterling. Don't have any details on pricing, though.
garym2001
AG
Lakeside was going to shut the golf course down for a year to redo it, but now that the clubhouse is being torn down and rebuilt, the golf course renovation has been put on hold. Golf course is open.
andrago94
AG
I have talked to two members of Champions recently about joining and both have said that the 14 handicap requirement has been relaxed. Not sure how high you can be and still get in, but they said my 16 would be no problem.
AG
RE Champions HCP:
I believe that is still the policy but I think it is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. As they say, money talks. But if you buy in as a high handicapper it could be more challenging to find games with players your speed.

Sterling Jr Golf membership info:
Inititation: $2,500.00 (Currently discounted rate of $1,500)
Dues: ~$312 / mo; No monthly term commitment (hence the initiation)
Holes: 36; (18 private - Sterling; 18 public - Houston National)
Guest fees: Sterling- $60 weekday/$70 weekend (Tues 1/2 off: $30); Houston Natl $55
I played Sterling at Houston National this past Sunday. Course was challenging while still manageable which I find fun. The course was in good shape overall. Most noticeable to my card: the greens were quick but true. If you make it out for a round, I would recommend trading some of your typical range time for the practice green. I didn't hit the locker room but the "back deck" is a good spot to have a post round beer & watch football. The carts are gas powered which I don't love but they will get you from A to B quicker than most and I'm sure it ends up shaving some minutes off the round.

Hearthstone (ClubCorp):
YEX (with O.N.E.):
$299/mo for 12 months, $349/mo after; No initiation fee with 12 month commitment.
Currently 50% off dues through March 2018;
50% off a la carte dining;
Biggest benefit is reciprocation at other ClubCorp clubs (~15 in Houston) after 10 am on weekends & holidays.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
DRE06
AG
I'm at Pine Forest. Best value in the city and probably consistently the best greens of any course in Houston.

i have 6-7 friends out at Sugar Creek in Sugarland. Their young membership has exploded in the last 3 years & just finished redoing the last of the three 9's. Great group of guys in their 30's.

Advice:
1) Put a premium on location and the ability to occasionally make it to the club for late afternoon gold after work.
2) Be careful about over-committing to a club with a huge initiation fee. Just watched my neighbors burn $20 k in initiation fees only to walk away 2 years in. (Still owed 2 initiation installments plus Harvey assessment)
playeroftheyear69
AG
Does anyone know what the initiation and dues are @ Sugar Creek? I played it for the first time a couple months ago, courtesy of a silent auction win, and I really enjoyed the course. The greens were a little slow, but I assume this is not the standard. Great clubhouse too.

Ezra Brooks
AG
playeroftheyear69 said:

Does anyone know what the initiation and dues are @ Sugar Creek? I played it for the first time a couple months ago, courtesy of a silent auction win, and I really enjoyed the course. The greens were a little slow, but I assume this is not the standard. Great clubhouse too.

I don't know what they are asking, but a buddy of mine just moved over there from Sweet Water and he said he didn't pay anything near their "stated rate".

I played with him there in October and was REALLY impressed. And the greens weren't slow by any means.
David_Puddy
AG
I played Falcon Point today. That's another good value (especially if you're considering Riverbend). IMO that course is nicer than Riverbend. I believe the under 40 membership is $1k down + ~$400/month
jf8
Sugar Creek Junior Level I believe is $1,500 22-29 with $285 dues and Exec Membership 30-35 is $2,500 with $429 dues, I am sure their is discounts on initiation. They do have 27 holes although the renovated Roberts 9 is a boring 9. Straight par 4 and surrounded by homes.

I am at Riverbend, there is a strong push to get younger. Most places are trying to get young.
cheeky
AG
DRE06 said:

I'm at Pine Forest. Best value in the city and probably consistently the best greens of any course in Houston.

That's pretty bold talk.
HouAggie
AG
If he's wrong, he's not wrong by much.

And he did say "probably".
CRM1712
AG
I've played Sugar Creek and Riverbend a lot as I live in the neighborhood. As far as golf and locker room go, Riverbend is far superior, and it's not really close at all. I don't think there is anything that interesting about Sugar Creek, and I have never really been impressed with the condition of the courses when I have played.

With that said, if you are local, and your family wants somewhere to spend some time and eat and play some tennis, then SC might be a better option for you. But if you are looking for a Golf Club Riverbend is hard to beat.

I'm curious how Braeburn compares when I start back up my membership, but it might be hard to leave the neighborhood.
cab559
AG
I'm in west Houston, memorial and wilcrest to be exact.

I am 35, played a lot of golf growing up, and my boys are now 3 and 6 so looking to get back into the routine as well as get them involved in the game.

Despite being most convenient, lakeside isn't in the cards so was thinking Riverbend or Pine Forest. Both are the same distance.

What say you TexAgs?
AG
I played Riverbend last Friday. In good shape but I personally vote Pine Forest.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
HouAggie
AG
If you intend to get the little fellas involved, it's a no brainer to do Pine Forest. The third nine is awesome for taking the kids out on the course without having to worry about getting in the way or the kids acting up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.