Dallas country clubs

155,406 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TecRecAg
92TXAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pppplllllleeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeee...

Maridoe is not better than Dallas National, unless, of course, proximity to where members live is the only quotient to be factored.
jj9000
AG
CPrice13 said:

Just curious, where are you a member that has a top 20 course that can't hold DN's jock?
I'm interested in this as well.

Pretty hot takes about Dallas National, of which, I've never heard or read about until now.

Ulterior motives, perhaps?
ChoppinDs40
AG
Has to be WP or Blue Jack or homeboy has a membership out of state.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
This thread makes me feel poor
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I wouldn't write it on here, but it's on the West Coast. Dallas National is a subpar club and a subpar course. It was voted one of the most overrated courses in America and the fact that I know multiple members who want out or have gotten out speaks for its self. If you can't retain a membership then you have a bad club.

Part of joining a club is the atmosphere and membership and DNational does not have it. The course a typical Fabio design that is generic and unimaginative.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
DNational is not a good club period never has been. It is looked at as a club for guys who couldn't get in anywhere else. The fact I know numerous guys who want out or have gotten out and it speaks for itself. These guys are not hurting for money and $1400 a month in dues is nothing to them. The course is just flat out not good. I've played most of the top 10 courses in the US outside of NGLA and Shinncock and I can say DNational is not a top 100 course and nothing special. Look at Sage Valley it's a fazio course and a much better design that DN.

Go play Prarie Dunes or Sand Hills. Those are great courses. DNational couldn't hold a pair of underwear with skid marks from one of those courses.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
West Coast course
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Really? Most people I know do not speak highly of the course. It has the Fazio line and is just a flat out generic course. The courses that I like stand the test of time. Colonial is a great course, Southern Hills in Tulsa is an awesome course, ect.
jj9000
AG
HoustonToDallas said:

Really? Most people I know do not speak highly of the course. It has the Fazio line and is just a flat out generic course. The courses that I like stand the test of time. Colonial is a great course, Southern Hills in Tulsa is an awesome course, ect.
This is a fairly recent and well respected publication.

It will give you a better insight into different clubs in the area.

Take note of the Dallas National piece.

https://myavidgolfer.com/2018-best-of-private-clubs/
GaryClare
AG
CPrice13
AG
HtD I'm in 100% agreement that it is not a great club in that sense. I don't disagree with you whatever. I've said on this thread that I'm at Bent Tree and the membership there is what makes the place so special. There is never anyone in the 19th hole at DN and you aren't gonna make friends out there. No matter what time you show up at Bent Tree there is always a group in the 19th who is willing to have anyone join the table. IMO what makes a great club is a great golf course combined with great members. DN does not have the member piece and that is why so many guys want out. It's not worth the drive just for a round of golf.

My questioning was more regarding the course. I agree with your assessment that Maridoe has the potential to be the best in the long run as long as the owner doesn't screw it up. It will take time though. Personally, I really enjoy DN every time I get to play out there. I think the course is always in fantastic shape and presents enough challenges while not being crazy hard.
CPrice13
AG
jj9000 said:

HoustonToDallas said:

This is a fairly recent and well respected publication.

It will give you a better insight into different clubs in the area.

Take note of the Dallas National piece.

https://myavidgolfer.com/2018-best-of-private-clubs/
I wouldn't go on these rankings to be honest. The Four Seasons is extremely nice but a country club? Not in my opinion.
dc509
AG
Try these.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/texas-best-in-state-rankings
92TXAG
AG
HoustonToDallas said:

DNational is not a good club period never has been. It is looked at as a club for guys who couldn't get in anywhere else. The fact I know numerous guys who want out or have gotten out and it speaks for itself. These guys are not hurting for money and $1400 a month in dues is nothing to them. The course is just flat out not good. I've played most of the top 10 courses in the US outside of NGLA and Shinncock and I can say DNational is not a top 100 course and nothing special. Look at Sage Valley it's a fazio course and a much better design that DN.

Go play Prarie Dunes or Sand Hills. Those are great courses. DNational couldn't hold a pair of underwear with skid marks from one of those courses.

you might be my favorite tool, oops, I mean troll, ever...

thanks for the laugh; been a long day & I needed that

Shaggie 05
AG
My wife and I are thinking of trying out the young executive option that club Corp has. We're back and forth between Prestonwood and Canyon Creek currently. Does anyone have any thoughts on the two?

They are just about the same distance from us. Her main priorities are the pool (canyon creek by a mile) and tennis, while I'm most interested in golf with the potential for networking/meeting cool people.
investorAg83
AG
Shaggie 05 said:

My wife and I are thinking of trying out the young executive option that club Corp has. We're back and forth between Prestonwood and Canyon Creek currently. Does anyone have any thoughts on the two?

They are just about the same distance from us. Her main priorities are the pool (canyon creek by a mile) and tennis, while I'm most interested in golf with the potential for networking/meeting cool people.

We're debating the exact same thing...also trying to figure out if we'll need to keep a gym membership as well. Have you toured or played either yet?
Shaggie 05
AG
We toured both on Saturday. I'm scheduled to play Prestonwood tomorrow and trying to get a time for canyon creek soon after that. Prestonwood has a small gym area. Depending on what you do at the gym, it maybe able to suffice, but we didn't figure it was enough to factor into our decision. I do seem to recall the membership lady saying that area of the clubhouse was next on the redo list along with the locker room, sauna/steam, since they've recently updated the main areas.
CPrice13
AG
investorAg83 said:

Shaggie 05 said:

We're debating the exact same thing...also trying to figure out if we'll need to keep a gym membership as well. Have you toured or played either yet?
Was a clubcorp member for several years and probably live in the exact same area you guys are at. Switched over to another club a few months ago but enjoyed being with clubcorp for that season. Couple of items to note: 1) Canyon Creek does not have a fitness area so if you are looking for that, you'd have to find a gym membership elsewhere; 2) Canyon Creek has one of the best pool areas while prestonwood's pool is sub par. The rest of Prestonwood is really great and enjoyed it out there; 3) clubcorp has no restrictions on guests so it's damn near impossible to get a tee time in the mornings out there. Just know that out there. The group I used to play with would get he 8 to 8:30 tee times Saturday mornings would occasionally have 4+ guests. I was never a fan of that but there was no stopping it by the club.

More than happy to discuss more if you want to PM me.
ChoppinDs40
AG
i'm a member at Canyon Creek - pool is awesome. Course is fun. Food is good.

I think the Prestonwood courses are dog poop but that's just my opinion.
investorAg83
AG
Good to know. Thx.
Legend
AG
If you are north and looking at club corp tak a look at gleneagles or stonebriar.
92TXAG
AG
Legend said:

If you are north and looking at club corp tak a look at gleneagles or stonebriar.

FYI; those clubs and Stonebridge Ranch (Dye) do not offer young executive memberships
TexasAggies06
AG
92TXAG said:

Legend said:

FYI; those clubs and Stonebridge Ranch (Dye) do not offer young executive memberships

Gleneagles has a "Young Professional Golf Membership." Is that not the same thing? I have been considering a YEX membership in the area as well and thought that Gleneagles was an option.

http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Gleneagles-Country-Club/Membership/Membership-Categories
92TXAG
AG
I stand corrected 06; that is the same...

Their 3 premier clubs in north Dallas, for the longest time, did not offer these. I remember from when I was pre 40...8 long years ago; LOL!

Gleneagles is a great club; not the best two courses in town, but a lot of business & networking is conducted there...

If you join, LMK. I'm always good for meeting another Aggie.
TechPracAggie
I joined Prestonwood last July and was looking at it and GlenEagles. I had never been a member of a club before so I was not sure I would use it.

What I like:

1. There is a fairly large membership in their 40s that all seem to be pretty cool people.
2. The Men's Golf Association is good and is very active and friendly
3. ClubCorp seems to be featuring golf at Prestonwood. They have made a lot of investments in both courses and it shows.
4. I have come to enjoy both courses. The Creeks is short and tight. It is very challenging and will make you a better golfer. I hated it the first few times I played it, now I like it. The Hills is fun and more of what you would expect of a Texas course, but has fun elevation changes.
5. Having access to both courses is key, Also the courses are so different. GlenEagles courses are both similar.
6. We just got a new GM who is stellar. The difference in the service levels and club communication has been very noticeable.
7. They recently updated the wet areas in the Men's locker rooms and are adding a real 19th hole at the Creek.

What I don't:
1. Morning tee times can be a PITA. I play in the evenings and afternoons so it doesn't matter much to me
2. Practice areas are average
3. Pool is adequate, but not great
4. Most of the action is at the Creeks

I don't know much about the Tennis program at Prestonwood, but it seems pretty active.

If you do the One membership you can use the dining and pool at any of the clubs so you might look at the one you might get the most value out of from a golf/tennis perspective and then use the pool at a different club.

I wasn't sure when I joined Prestonwood, but now I really like it.
grego
AG
Quote:

DNational is not a good club period never has been. It is looked at as a club for guys who couldn't get in anywhere else.
While I also prefer traditional classic clubs to new designs as well - this isn't true. Most DN members are also members at another local club IMO.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
You must not have played any great courses. Golf Gurus rated it one of the most overrated courses.

https://golfcoursegurus.com/rankings/overrated.php
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Greg,

Go to a Seminole, SFGC, Peach Tree, etc and these clubs do not have a wait to get out and never will. Why? Because they are great clubs. The guys I know who joined DN are asking to get out because they don't think it's a good course or club.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I agree with you on that but after playing many Fazio courses DN is just a cookie cutter course he smacked on Dallas.
grego
AG
Quote:

Greg,

Go to a Seminole, SFGC, Peach Tree, etc and these clubs do not have a wait to get out and never will. Why? Because they are great clubs. The guys I know who joined DN are asking to get out because they don't think it's a good course or club.
I've played Peachtree and a couple more of that ilk. There is obviously no comparison to it and Dallas National.

My point was that DN isn't "a place for people who couldn't get in to other clubs". Most have other memberships.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Gary,

Look at many other rankings and DN is not on the top 100 or top 200. I have played all of the top 10 courses except the to Southampton courses. I can say I was not impressed with DN. I've played Sage Valley, Shadow Creek, etc and to me DN is a generic Fazio design that he stamps around every resort course. Every Fazio course is the exact same, which if you have not played many Fazio courses you would not know this.

Based on my experience with guys I know who are members have either gotten out or want out. I was not impressed when I've played there with the course or the membership. I'm a member at a top 20-30 (pending on the publication) course. What the club has is a solid membership of guys who enjoy golf, small memebership, are active (I'm active and play in most member events and make the hike), great course. I never got that vibe at DN even when I played in the member guest.

What makes a good course is the membership and the course. A good example is Seminole GC it's a decent course but what makes it great is the membership. Played in two events there and the membership made the club.

Now I do have a good friend who is a member at DN who loves it. He also loves to eat spam and Vienna sausages and watches soap operas haha jk. But for my buddy he loves the course and does not play golf that often and when he does it's a get away.

I also have not moved to Dallas yet. I move in August so can't answer the rest of your questions.

grego
AG
Pignorant
AG
Not sure if serious?
DadAG10
CPrice13 said:

3) clubcorp has no restrictions on guests so it's damn near impossible to get a tee time in the mornings out there. Just know that out there. The group I used to play with would get he 8 to 8:30 tee times Saturday mornings would occasionally have 4+ guests. I was never a fan of that but there was no stopping it by the club.

More than happy to discuss more if you want to PM me.
How long ago was this?

I don't believe it is happening now.

With lottery system, times are not difficult to get. It may not be in the early morn, but you will get a time prior to 11AM.
Goody
AG
man-- htd really has a burr in his saddle about DN. Its a great course in my opinion. The new practice facility is world class. How can you say its generic with the unique topography out there?

I know plenty of members out there and they like it just fine. Yes, some have left and Randall Stephenson made all the ATT guys move over to Trinity Forest, but that wasn't their choice.

It doesn't have the camaraderie that you want in a club and that is mainly due to the fact that the members don't live anywhere near the club and it is not located in an area that they frequent--- its truly a destination location.

But the course itself...its been ranked in top 2 in state since it opened. I've played a few decent courses too (Merion, Cypress, Straits, Erin Hills,et al) and I think its damn good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.