Dallas country clubs

155,823 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TecRecAg
tcruise63
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DAC is a golfers club that is great for families; would not trade my 15+ years there for anything
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm thinking about joining DAC fairly soon. We have a tour set up for sometime in July, including some rounds of golf, etc. If we like it, I think we will probably give it a shot.

Just a couple of questions. I didn't grow up in a country club, and my main hesitation for joining is the perception of a pretentious/stuffy atmosphere around the club and its members. From the comments so far, it sounds like DAC is not like this?

Also, what's the atmosphere like on the weekends? Are there quite a few guys who play rounds and then hang around to watch football, play cards, eat, drink, etc? The main reason I am wanting to join is to find some regular golf games to play in (I used to play all the time in high school/college when I had a group of regular friends to play and compete/gamble with. Don't play as much now because I don't really have anyone to compete with, and when I do play now it's with friends who have never played much). But besides the golf, a big benefit would be to be able to hang out, watch games, play cards, etc after the rounds are over.

I'm 30 and married but don't have kids yet. The family aspect of the club will likely be important to us down the road a little, and it sounds like it's great for families. I'm just wondering what the club is like for younger members who don't have kids yet. Are there quite a few younger members without kids? I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of if it makes sense to join now without kids, or would it make more sense to wait until we have kids.

Thanks in advance for the help.
FirefightAg
AG
Any DAC members want to have out some Aggie guest?! I've played it a few times when I was working in the golf industry and really liked the courses and played really well. It was fun and a little did betting was the usual.
Ponyupag
AG
Mavsfan- I would say that most young members have kids at DAC, but that shouldn't detract you from joining. I am about to be off my dads membership and have to get my own junior membership and play with mostly college kids at the club, but occasionally play with different groups out there. As far as guys to watch the game with and stuff the 19th hole has been upped and is really sweet now for watching games. Lots of diversity at the club for games to play with but if you are below a 5 handicap and like to gamble there is a definitely a couple groups to choose from. I would definitely recommend joining and it is such a great environment to be apart of and definitely not stuffy at all. Last week course was in the best shape I have seen it in years and hope to see you out there soon.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thanks for the response. I'm definitely interested for the golf...I drove out there last night and the courses looked great. I just wanted to get a picture of how many people were able to play and then hang out afterwards. I know family activities are a big deal for any club, I'm just wanting to make sure that it's not only family/kid events. Nothing wrong with having family events, but it may not be worth my money at this time if that's all that the club has to offer and I am one of the few young members out there without kids.

I'll see how the tour goes. I think my tour is set up for the 23rd (going to be out of town for the next few weekends). If i end up joining, maybe we can play a round sometime and you can show me the ropes of the club.
turfaggie24
AG
I would recommend a club that hasn't been mentioned yet, Bent Tree. Initiation is between Lakewood and DAC, and the golf course was ranked #38 in this years DMN rankings. Lots of regular games are played Thursday-Sunday as well as card games in the 19th hole. A certain Cowboys QB recently just joined as well. If interested pm me and I will get you in contact with our Membership Director.
Post removed:
by user
turfaggie24
AG
Post removed:
by user
CPrice13
AG
Turf, I'm interested in learning more about Bent Tree if you're still out there.
turfaggie24
AG
PM sent
Post removed:
by user
TresPuertas
AG
I'd put It in the slightly above normal category.

Courses are in great shape and that's One of the best parts of the membership, you essentially get access to two courses for the price of one.

Here's my criticisms:

Courses are too crowded. Club Corp has made a big push for new members and add to that the fact that Northwood Members are being permitted to play while their course is under renovation, it isn't easy to get a tee time.

Second, the pool sucks. Like, really sucks. About a year ago they built an outdoor patio/bar area they call the Oasis, and put it as far away from the pool as they could. One of the more bone headed things I've ever seen done.

Food is pretty good, staff is great, and things could get very expensive if you're eating there often.

Now saying all this, it's still 10x better than any public course experience I've had around here and considering the price, it's worth it.

And you shouldn't pay any initiation fee at all. If they try to make you pull up an article about club corps recent fire sale and problems and they should waive it.

PM me if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help
Goose
AG
We're members at Prestonwood and that description is pretty accurate. The tee sheet fills up quickly, but there also a ton of no-shows, so if you really want to play you can usually get on. And the new outdoor bar area was built there because that's where they had room (took out a few tennis courts) but it is unfortunate that it's not at all convenient to the pool. More than anything, we like it because its only 3.5 miles from the house.
nvf61286
Really helpful to read this thread. New here so thanks everyone.

I'm considering promising membership opportunities at 2 great clubs: Dallas National and Lakewood CC

Struggling very much with which way to go honestly for a number of reasons...

Thoughts on DNGC:

+ Top notch and from my research reading the thread and other forums its very prestigious / tough to get into

+ From a golf stand point there's no other course in Dallas I'd rather join and being a member there has serious clout - it's a top 70 golf course in the country per Golf Digest and I love that stuff

+ If I'm a lifer in Dallas, thinking I should join this club now while there's very much a good chance of it working out - I feel it's only going to get harder to get in as it gets older

+ Google maps says its a ~25 min drive from my place which is kind of far

+ Wife doesn't golf so this deal is really for me

Thoughts on Lakewood:

+ Lakewood CC is basically next door to where I just bought a house - the golf course i literally on our street a couple blocks over - absolutely I love the idea of popping over anytime I want no hassle

+ Lakewood has the full package of a club (pool, tennis, etc.)

+ Wife could use the fitness, pool and all that which is a big win

+ The course is very nice, but it's nothing great (especially vs. DNGC)

+ In 10years if I move on from Lakewood CC to other areas am I going to care about the membership?? (I prob will always love being a DNGC member)

My gut's telling me Lakewood is just way more practical for a lot of reasons, but call it superficial, whatever... being a member at DNGC and getting to play that as my home course every weekend is UNREAL...I currently pay silly money once or so a year in a while to go play top 100 courses...I could be a member at one!

Very torn here what do yall think?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Go with Lakewood. That extra distance is easy to rationalize in your head as no big deal, but it will make a HUGE difference to how much you use it.

It's nice to just pop over in the evening to squeeze in a late 9/18 or use the other facilities, whereas the 25 minute drive turns into 35-40 minutes for DNGC in the early evening. You may force it for awhile, but it will wear off.
TresPuertas
AG
I honestly don't think there is much debate here. Dallas National is incredible, but it's far. And in my experience, it's better to have something close.

The other thing to consider is the social aspect of Lakewood as there are a lot of young families and couples who are there and in the long term that's also going to be better for your wife. You are just so much more likely to utilize the club that's closest to you and that makes it a better value.

Good luck with your decision
Yesterday
AG
Having the option to choose Dallas National is awesome! That's a good chunk of change, but as you know, and if it's affordable, it's certainly worth it. There's no better club dedicated to golf than Dallas National. The practice chipping areas is something like 10 acres of perfect greens with pro v 1 practice balls.

Of the three members I know at Dallas National, 2 of them have their main membership elsewhere and use Dallas National as their "impress clients with" club.

If you don't plan on having a family I say go for it. Just be warned that you'll have a lot of folks wanting to bum a guest round with you. Me being one.
FTAco07
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Of the three members I know at Dallas National, 2 of them have their main membership elsewhere and use Dallas National as their "impress clients with" club.
What he said. Most Dallas National members are members elsewhere as well. In fact I believe Dallas National is open Monday so when everyone's primary club is closed they can play out there.

I'd love to play Dallas National, but it probably doesn't have the same member camaraderie you'd expect in a high end club. And don't kid yourself, the distance from home and work will prevent you from using it near as much as Lakewood.
powerbelly
AG
FTAco07 said:

03ki11erAG said:

What he said. Most Dallas National members are members elsewhere as well. In fact I believe Dallas National is open Monday so when everyone's primary club is closed they can play out there.

I'd love to play Dallas National, but it probably doesn't have the same member camaraderie you'd expect in a high end club. And don't kid yourself, the distance from home and work will prevent you from using it near as much as Lakewood.
Yep.
Legend
AG
Does anyone know how accurate the Avid Golf initiation fees are for the Royal Oaks and Northwoods of the world? I feel like I heard someone not too long ago saying they joined Royal Oaks on some kind of deal. Maybe it was a lower initiation fee or some type of interest free installment? I'm not sure. Plus, with Northwood about to re-open who knows what their deal will be. I thought I had heard they lost a fair number of members.

Anyway, curious if anyone had more recent info than from the 2016 time.

thanks
Stymied
AG
They are probably pretty accurate. They got my course, DAC, right on the number ($21K).

http://myavidgolfer.com/features/2017-best-private-clubs/

Dues are a little bit of a cat and mouse game though as it looks like most of the dues do not include ongoing monthly assessment fees. Some appear to be including them while others do not. For instance, when I checked last, Lakewood was quite a bit higher than the $575 Avid claims. When I researched it last, Lakewood members were paying a few hundred extra a month as a capital assessment. That's not covered in formal "dues".

Historically, Northwood has always been a bit more expensive than Royal Oaks. I wouldn't be surprised if initiation is at or above $100K once they reopen. They are spending a ton of money (I've heard nearly $20M) on the facilities.
dc509
AG
This is second hand, but my understanding with Royal Oaks is that they had pretty extensive flood damage which closed the course for awhile costing them members. I was told they ran a discounted initiation fee of $25,000 to get their numbers back up. Take that with a grain of salt, but that's the story I heard several months ago.
cmarkmat
AG
Best bet, play at Tennison. Keep your money. It was good enough for Lee Trevino to play on when he was young. And they have redone the course since then. Lakewood is a great option, close to downtown. But pricey. Like they all are. Good luck!
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I am moving to Dallas soon next two years from Houston and I am 35. I have friends and coworkers in Dallas at both DCC and Brook Hollow sponsorship will not be an issue. Which one is better? What are the benefits of both? Pros and Cons?

I am moving the park cities area. I have never actually been to either. My club in Houston is just a GC just outside the city.

Thanks!
92TXAG
AG
HoustonToDallas said:

I am moving to Dallas soon next two years from Houston and I am 35. I have friends and coworkers in Dallas at both DCC and Brook Hollow sponsorship will not be an issue. Which one is better? What are the benefits of both? Pros and Cons?

I am moving the park cities area. I have never actually been to either. My club in Houston is just a GC just outside the city.

Thanks!

Because of this - "I am 35" - go with DCC!

Two great clubs; golf is better at Brookbollow but the experience / networking with members closer to your age at DCC will far out-weigh hang'n-out on Harry Hines...lest you just want golf only
jj9000
AG
Pignorant
AG
Golf at Brook Hollow is eons better than DCC.
jj9000
AG
Pignorant said:

Golf at Brook Hollow is eons better than DCC.
Yeah, but the guy is moving to the Park Cities, so DCC will be in his back yard.

Also...Brookhollow wouldn't be the most inviting Club for a 35 year old guy who's moving from Houston...and trying to get acquainted and acclimated to Dallas.
FTAco07
AG
Even with good sponsorship there is going to be a long wait to get in to DCC. I believe Brook Hollow has a wait list as well unless you're willing to pay double the initiation and skip the line. If you live in the Park Cities DCC is your best bet, but if you want to be at a CC now you may have to join somewhere else first while you work through the DCC wait list. Barring significant connections I'm under the impression it's a 5-10 year wait.
92TXAG
AG
jj9000 said:

92TXAG said:

hang'n-out on Harry Hines.
Spoken from experience, eh?

92 cruising HH in the late 80s.

Could've gone to jail for that, Bro.

Old-school Dallas-ites will get this joke.

LOL!
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Not too concerned about the wait but I am going to get on the list now. Definitely won't waste the money joining somewhere else if I am just going to drop it. I am dropping my club in Houston and I am losing money on it. I know I am moving in two years at a minimum. I want to know which one is better for golf, networking, hanging out, and taking clients. I plan on using it to take clients for lunch and maybe golf pending on the guest fee. I play about 2 rounds a month. Keep in mind I am in a high client facing role. I am interacting with clients face to face 3-5 times a week.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
How is the social aspect there? I know members at both but nobody gives me a ton of detail.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I am moving to UP more than likely looking into Devonshire area. I figure get on a waitlist now.
NotNewToDallasAnymore
I would also consider Northwood. Looks nice and the course is getting renovated.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.