Dallas country clubs

164,327 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TecRecAg
Stymied
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
garysum said:

I live in Frisco so not a candidate for DAC membership. Thought your post was very informative. Always wanted to try out DAC but didn't know a member. If willing to host a weekend guest round for a class of '89 Ag, send me a PM. Handicap index is 8.0.
Anytime. Just sent you a PM.
austinaggie2012
tur***gie24 said:

Driven by many times, but never played. A few people I know that have played say the layout and setting is phenomenal. Supposedly it's very difficult to get on, must have property or be a guest of someone who does. I may be in the market...
The course is superb. Greens especially. Blew away my expectations. I'm not really sure what it is doing out there.

I was visiting my girlfriend's parents and they are ranchers in North TX. Apparently, they have a lot out there but have never even used the course. I had a great time.
SEC Ags
AG
AggieC07 said:

I had a couple of friends who joined Brook Haven (same age), I think they have a pretty good value membership. Although, I've played out there a few times and havent been too impressed with the course.

I'm a member at Brookhaven. Live in North Dallas so it's close. Don't necessarily disagree on courses though it does have 3 courses so that part is nice.

OP I will say depending on what else you want it may be for you. Good value. Great family club. We have a young daughter and love taking her there. Tennis facilities are amazing. Lot of events they throw.
19AG84
AG
Brook Hollow or Dallas Country Club
NotNewToDallasAnymore
Depends what you want. DCC is more of a social club but the course is awful. Brook Hollow is a golf club with a better course and overall great with a smaller membership but a less social atmosphere. Northwood is a combo of both but has a much larger membership than brook hollow. Course is better than DCC.
tclub
Any opinions on trophy club? The golf, kids club, pool? Just want to hear any opinions on these and other amenities? Thx
Yesterday
AG
I really like Trophy Club for golf. I've never been to the pool or tennis courts but they have two great courses and a huge practice facility. If I was closer I would be there instead of Hackberry.
nyctodallasgolf
Hi All,
Great posts here! I am moving from the NYC area to Dallas Uptown area next week (March 2018).
I have read the avidgolf piece, and this thread a few times - great info.
I know nothing nothing about Dallas golf other than what I have read above.
I will probably move to the Preston Hollow area in 2-3 years realistically, and am looking for a club that is also friendly to families as I am early 40's, married and have children.
Northwood, Lakewood, Bent Tree, DAC, Four Seasons all seem interesting, but this is just based on what I have read and what little else I heard. Trinity Forest, Vaquero are interesting, but given the high dues, i'm not sure it will be worth it given I travel extensively and am really just looking for a place to relax, meet some great people (as I know nobody), and easily play/practice golf.

The whole point of this is not to request/rehash the comments already made - BUT. If anyone is down to show me the ropes/their clubs and play some golf, I would be extremely grateful! I have hovered around an 8-10 index for the past several years, but have not played many rds/yr while in the NYC area for 15 yrs, so I am looking to change that!. If anyone is willing to lend a helping hand, please PM me.

Thanks!
Yesterday
AG
Bent Tree sounds like a good club that is close by. I'm currently at Hackberry Creek and it's great for families but a bit of a drive from the area you're looking to move to. If you want to play a round shoot me a on. Even if you don't want to join out here.
Post removed:
by user
92TXAG
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

Need more thoughts on Gleneagles..

36 holes; not the best two courses in the area (not many memorable holes), but each course can easily be had...

A lot of big $ money games; significant amount of bidness conducted at this club, including in the men's dining area, very good family-friendly club, a great club if you like hosting, and a very good choice if you live in close proximity...if you don't live close, there's notably better golf at a better value, pending what you're most desirous of...
Post removed:
by user
92TXAG
AG
Hmmmm...plenty of tee times available at Gleneagles; and MUCH better practice facilities than Canyon Creek.

Apollo Global Mgmt is very motivated to monetize membership since buying Club Corp. I'd go visit with one of the membership directors at GE and discuss transfer options. I would not express your frustrations at Canyon Creek with them, but instead express that you're comparing either transferring to GE or choosing another option...put the onus on them to continue to profit off of you...

In your area, I don't know better private club options, lest you're willing to spend...

Good luck!
92TXAG
AG
nyctodallasgolf said:

Hi All,
Great posts here! I am moving from the NYC area to Dallas Uptown area next week (March 2018).
I have read the avidgolf piece, and this thread a few times - great info.
I know nothing nothing about Dallas golf other than what I have read above.
I will probably move to the Preston Hollow area in 2-3 years realistically, and am looking for a club that is also friendly to families as I am early 40's, married and have children.
Northwood, Lakewood, Bent Tree, DAC, Four Seasons all seem interesting, but this is just based on what I have read and what little else I heard. Trinity Forest, Vaquero are interesting, but given the high dues, i'm not sure it will be worth it given I travel extensively and am really just looking for a place to relax, meet some great people (as I know nobody), and easily play/practice golf.

The whole point of this is not to request/rehash the comments already made - BUT. If anyone is down to show me the ropes/their clubs and play some golf, I would be extremely grateful! I have hovered around an 8-10 index for the past several years, but have not played many rds/yr while in the NYC area for 15 yrs, so I am looking to change that!. If anyone is willing to lend a helping hand, please PM me.

Thanks!

Fellow Ags,

If you get a chance, reach-out & welcome NYC to your club(s) and show him what it means to be a Fight'n Texas Aggie (#aggienetwork). I spent yesterday afternoon hosting him at my club. He's a Michigan grad, which was painful (I did not know this in advance), but fortunately we weren't playing any basketball.

He's going to make a good Texan; he's a really good guy...

Gig'em!

'92
Legend
AG
Usually, Avid Golfer's review of Best Private Clubs includes a page with initiation fees and dues. Does anyone know if they did that this year? This is the 2018 edition from last month but it doesn't have the $$ chart/list that usually follows the rankings.

Also, not sure how political the rankings are, but I always like reading it every year.

https://myavidgolfer.com/2018-best-of-private-clubs/
CPrice13
AG
Don't know if the link will work but you can view the full edition here: https://myavidgolfer.com/the-magazine/2018/
dc509
AG
Maridoe intrigues me. I'm not interested in being a member, but at potentially $90,000 I'm curious to see how well it does in that location. I know there's other clubs at that price point and above, but they all offer something specific and I'm not sure I see that at Maridoe.
CPrice13
AG
I've played Maridoe twice now, once when it first opened and then again yesterday. If you are looking for a true golfers golf course that is going to test you with every shot, Maridoe is the place to be. Hardest golf course I've played. The driving range and short game area are fantastic, only behind DN and maybe TF.

You're not going to get the country club feel out there though. The most guys I've seen out there in the 19th hole or dining area is 5 and I've been there for lunch several times. I'm a member at Bent Tree and the membership is what makes that place special. We've got a great golf course but the membership puts BT over the top IMO.
powerbelly
AG
dc509 said:

Maridoe intrigues me. I'm not interested in being a member, but at potentially $90,000 I'm curious to see how well it does in that location. I know there's other clubs at that price point and above, but they all offer something specific and I'm not sure I see that at Maridoe.
It will be full of people who can't get in one of the other dallas clubs.
Legend
AG
That works. Thanks!
dc509
AG
CPrice13 said:

I've played Maridoe twice now, once when it first opened and then again yesterday. If you are looking for a true golfers golf course that is going to test you with every shot, Maridoe is the place to be. Hardest golf course I've played. The driving range and short game area are fantastic, only behind DN and maybe TF.

You're not going to get the country club feel out there though. The most guys I've seen out there in the 19th hole or dining area is 5 and I've been there for lunch several times. I'm a member at Bent Tree and the membership is what makes that place special. We've got a great golf course but the membership puts BT over the top IMO.
Well, if you're ever in need of a fourth to complete a group at Maridoe I suppose I could be persuaded.

I don't mean to knock the club. I just find it interesting that two clubs in DFW are opening on top of each other with the intent of hosting the US Open, and in my estimation Trinity Forrest has a big leg up. Though I suppose were TF to land the US Open the Byron would have to move for a year, or two, and that could be Maridoe's audition.
CPrice13
AG
They are two totally different courses. Both really fun tracks but TF being links style will appeal to some and be hated by others. Maridoe has more of a true golf course feel to it. IMO, I would join Maridoe for a full golf club over TF as I wouldn't want to play TF all the time due to the links style. Doesn't matter since I'm not going to join either of them any time soon.
powerbelly
AG
CPrice13 said:

They are two totally different courses. Both really fun tracks but TF being links style will appeal to some and be hated by others. Maridoe has more of a true golf course feel to it. IMO, I would join Maridoe for a full golf club over TF as I wouldn't want to play TF all the time due to the links style. Doesn't matter since I'm not going to join either of them any time soon.
All the members I know at TF are also members of other clubs.
Chomp214
AG
Have a daughter in Big D that belongs to Brookhaven and she and her husband enjoy the club and the Club Corp privileges that go with it. ie, they play Traditions in College Station for just the cart rental. Clubs all over are covered by the CCofA membership. She plays lots of golf and says that Brookhaven has the largest Women's golfing groups in the Dallas area and, of course, they have groups for all level of play. Dues, I believe, are in the $600/mo range. Good luck
GaryClare
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not in the know, but while the course is apparently amazing, the location sucks. I think many of its members are members elesewhere, so I'm guessing that maybe some are pulling back now that the new has had time to wear off
dc509
AG
I've heard that they are concerned about their membership numbers. I wouldn't join DN unless I could swing it as my second club. It's a pain in the ass to get to, and that is a significant barrier for me.
DallasAggie89
AG
I've played DN two times. Only reason I can see why members might want out is that they appear to do quite a bit of upgrades/projects that the members get assessed for (though you would think members would be able to afford it).

Last time I was there they were installing fans around the greens and the member told me it was a one million dollar project.
92TXAG
AG
the only knock on Dallas National is location...

course AAA+++
service AAA+++
social AAA+++
Yesterday
AG
Once you're on the property of DN it is a great place to play golf. The terrain is really awesome for a DFW club. That said, you have to travel through the hood to get there. Almost everyone I talk to says they thought they were lost driving up to the property.

I'm not in the know to the membership or the financials but it is a niche club. It's not a place you take the grand kids to or even the wife really. It's strictly a golf club and a damn good one at that.
CPrice13
AG
Late to the party here but thought I've throw my 2 cents in. Granted, I've never played PT so I can't speak to that. Best golf only clubs in Dallas, in order, are as follows:

1) Dallas National best golf facility in town. From the moment you get on the facility, you can tell it's a special place. Cannot beat the practice facility especially with the new addition they just added. The course is always in fantastic shape and, for whatever reason, they have some of the best caddies in town. The food is some of the best I've had at a club in town. The cabins are a nice touch and fun to stay at. The only issue I've got with that club is location.

2) Trinity Forest Best clubhouse in town. Took some guys out there from several other clubs in town and they wouldn't stop raving about the clubhouse. The course is awesometo play a couple times a year. I'm not a huge fan of links golf so I like being about to get out there about once a quarter. Besides that I'm good. If you can get out there, make sure you check out the SMU training facility. That is going to get SMU some major players to join their team.

3) Maridoe this track has the ability to be the best in several years once everything grows in. For sure the hardest track of the three, almost too hard if you ask me. If you play from the tips, hole 2 is a 260 yard par 3. There isn't a ton of play on it so it always looks great. They are still in the process of getting the clubhouse built so I think judgement has to wait until that takes place.

Now I guess I'll get ready for everyone to disagree with me here :-/
jj9000
AG
CPrice13 said:

3) Maridoe this track has the ability to be the best in several years once everything grows in. For sure the hardest track of the three, almost too hard if you ask me.
Rating of 80.5 and a Slope of 155
bagger05
AG
jj9000 said:

CPrice13 said:

3) Maridoe this track has the ability to be the best in several years once everything grows in. For sure the hardest track of the three, almost too hard if you ask me.
Rating of 80.5 and a Slope of 155
How would that be fun for anyone?
NotNewToDallasAnymore
A friend of mine just got out of D National and another is trying to get out. One of the big reasons a lot of guys want out is it's just not a good course or club. Maybe playing it a once a year you might love it but the guys I know who are and here members all hated playing it all the time. Also they all thought the membership was weird and crappy. They all thought a lot of the stuff was cheesy like the barrels with the Texas feel. They just said the club felt cheap. D National is not a top 100 course maybe top 200. I'm a member at a top 20 course and D National couldn't hold its jock.

I think Trinity Forest is ok and the two founders were D National members. It is meant to be something different but same not a course you want to play all the time. Same thing is it a top 100 course in the US? Not not even top 200.

Maridoe I think is better than both D National and Trinity Forrest. I think once the course matures it will become a lot better. It can also become a great club.

CPrice13
AG
Just curious, where are you a member that has a top 20 course that can't hold DN's jock?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.