Horns will ultimately have to join the SEC

33,972 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Year of the Germaphobe
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No I absolutely did not resist it. I was totally pro SEC move. Check me out you will see. I was against firing Sherman. Maybe you have the two confused.
Jaxson11
AG
quote:
I was absolutely shocked when we actually pulled it off. I thought for sure that Dodds was behind the Baylor litigation move and felt there must surely be some legislative interference coming down shortly.

I believe t.u. COULD have stopped it if they really wanted to, but LUCKILY FOR US, their own arrogance would not allow it.

They were more interested in spinning it their way and trying to maintain a stiff upper lip, when they should have been doing everything possible to stop it, including junking the LHN deal.

I'm forever relieved they were much too arrogant for such desperate tactics.

With all due respect, you are absolutely 100% wrong. Bill Powers, Deloss Dodds, and every powerful sip admin/alumni did everything they could to keep us from going to the SEC. They were working with Baylor on the litigation front to try to block us including having lawyers who were alumni contribute legal work. Why? Because they needed to make this more than an A&M/t.u. battle.

With respect to the Legislature, they also flexed every muscle possible. It didn't work because we'd already bitten on that false threat once in 2010. It was more of a threat then because the Legislature was about to go into session and appropriations were being discussed. In the summer of 2011, our Board and President absolutely called their bluff. Also, our powerful alumni were all on the same page and pushed back politically on those who might get in the way (see: Dan Branch). Bottom line is that our leaders told the Legislature that they couldn't stop us but we'd be happy to make things as easy on the other schools as possible. In fact, we could have actually not paid an exit fee due to massive loopholes in the Big 12 contract, but basically did so to let them save some face.

t.u. needs to appear to have power over as many high level programs as possible. Their mistake was in thinking they had REAL power over A&M anymore. Luckily, we have leaders with the foresight and balls to do what we needed to do. But don't underestimate the political power of A&M alumni.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
A&M will be given the same veto rights that is given to other schools. However tu has shown their arrogant, selfish ways to all and no one in the SEC wants them.
84AGEC
AG
That would be very bad for A&M.
weeza
AG
SEC won't take them/EOT
1aggie02
AG
Please stop. This thead is making my sanity muscle very tired.
MarylandAG
Man Bryan you've gotten slammed on this thread. The first thing you need to consider is they need to get invited, and I don't see that ever happening. I disagree with you on their power, but to play along let's say they do have this power and can "do things". That power is useless until you get into the party, and that isn't going to happen for the same reason Florida won't allow FSU in, Gamecocks won't allow Clemson, Georgia won't allow Ga Tech in, etc. I think when we made this "100 year decision" that was at the top of the list we are going in to the SEC with our main selling point of being the ONLY school in the state of TX that is SEC!!! We will never know but I think the powers that be had this very concept in mind, from the begin. Sips can do alot of things but not force an invitation, and they'd have to fight Bama, LSU, FL, SC, that is something even sips can't do. Another poster has it right, they are heading west or big 10 in a few years, but I'll give you one thing, you are right when they do make that move they will do so with hat in hand, and they won't be calling the shots. Another critical thing you have to consider the SEC watches out for it's own, thankfully we are party of that family now!!! Won't happen, stop fretting about it, and enjoy the ride we are on!
weeza
AG
I just don't see how they're going to get out of the BigWTF? They are hostages unless they agree to pay Bailure, Purple Bailure and tard half their future revenue form100 years as ransom.

What's their strategy to decouple?
Bryanisbest
AG
Touché MarylandAg. Respect but disagree mostly
HECUBUS
AG
They can't beat 'em. TRUE
They can't join 'em. TRUE

They are irrelevant. They don't warrant posts here.
quatro_quatro
Why would Texas want to join the SEC ?
Happy Kuykendahl
Doesn't matter if they want to. They can't.

Enjoy the SWC.
Sid Farkas
AG
We may have beaten OP's remarks to death here. I think it's fair to say that tu will not be in the SEC during our lifetimes...

But re: this point which has shown up a few times in is thread:

quote:
Another poster has it right, they are heading west or big 10 in a few years,

Neither tu, Mobilehoma or any of their stepchildren will find a home in the west unless they join the WAC, Mountain West or some other non AQ conference.

I find it interesting how we Texans underestimate the depth of chauvinism the west coast has towards people from the south, (which to them includes Tx and Ok). No one...I mean no one (fans, media or school officials speaking publicly) have discussed the idea of ever allowing a school from Tx or Ok to affiliate with (or pollute?) the PAC-whatever

Perhaps the B1G would take em

[This message has been edited by SoCal Ag 85 (edited 11/18/2012 3:15p).]
FrankK
AG
Late breaking news: Ron Paul will ultimately have to join the democratic party. (Source: Bryanisbest)
quatro_quatro
The thing is, we don't want to. I just want to hear why we would want to join the SEC. We don't need to join the SEC, were in the Big 12.
aggiehawg
AG
To be fair, the horns did consider the SEC, albeit briefly, when the SWC broke up. But the Big Eight came calling. And then Baylor screamed, and Bob Bullock, Baylor grad and the Lt. Governor, held the power of the purse over the horns and A&M to result in the Big XII.

This time, the governor was an Aggie. The Lt. Governor was an Arizona grad with no in-state allegiances and a senatorial campaign in infancy. Dewhurst wasn't about to step in and pizz off a ton of alumni from any school in Texas.
Bryanisbest
AG
Quatro, read the OP for your answer.
CrottyKid
AG
Now that a horn troll is here, this thread is complete.
Polish1979
AG
Why are any of you assuming something happens to the Big 12? They are financially solid now with the new champions bowl arrangement with the SEC. That means that t.u. remains the top dog in their conference which still will result in recruiting advantages. Even if you lose out on the best, that doesn't mean you won't recruit enough to win the Big 12. Which begets more recruits. Same goes for OU.

Couple that with 9-10 win seasons year in and year out, plus the financial windfall from the network for t.u. and I don't see them looking around to leave. The fact is, they looked around already. They or the places they wanted to go didn't like the idea and they stayed put. It seems to have worked out for them.

I don't know where this idea that the Big 12 is collapsing comes from. t.u. could end their season with 10 wins. remember how we would have sold our first-borns for 10 wins in the Big 12 not so long ago!?
Tex117
AG
Oh, I don't know.

Money talks alot. And Texas has a lot of it.

A&M will do everything in its power to spot it. That much is for sure.

I don't think Texas goes to the SEC...Big 10, Pac..whatever...probably a better fit (especially Pac 10).
Bockaneer
AG
With imminent collapse of big east and new MNC bowl structure... tu conf will have to absorb some east coast teams and schedule a championship game or they will get left behind. No way SEC, big and PAC let them play for long w/o a similar structure. Big question is do conf stop at 14 or 16??
Happy Kuykendahl
quote:
The thing is, we don't want to. I just want to hear why we would want to join the SEC. We don't need to join the SEC, were in the Big 12.

Glad you enjoy trips to Waco and Lawrence to play in front of half full 40k seat stadiums with limited television distribution
aggiehawg
AG
The BCS, and its AQ conference auto-bids are going away soon. That means quality wins over ranked teams to play your way into the play-off.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how the Big XII continues to place teams in the national title hunt when that happens.

There are only two true "programs", horns and sooners. Everyone else can have a good year and challenge, but the infrastructure isn't there for a consistent year-in-year-out Top 15 program, besides those two.
flaggie
Let them go independent... like the ND wannabe's they are.

One Southwest Conference band director of the (Adams) era reportedly said "I dread going against the Aggie Band...It takes two weeks to recover from the trauma."

Essayons,

Flaggie
FTAB '69
Happy Kuykendahl
"bryanisbest" is either a sip fan that somehow got a tag or just an awful poster
TxAg76
AG
From the OP:
"I believe they can put us back in our subservient role"

Please burn your diploma, have your ring melted down, and move to the south pole

zeAG
This is a terrible post OP, but it's ok I'll educate you. The horns will not join the conference because of two ENORMOUS reasons (and one bonus reason).

First off, they are scared. Plain and simple, they are terrified of playing a rough schedule year in and year out and risk not being in the top 3 of the conference every year (not to mention terrified of being without biased advantages like they do in the big12-2-2+2). *****Side note: Clay Travis wrote an article a few years back about this (google it), and explained how texas had their chance to join awhile back and purposefully declined.

Second off, the SEC would never take them now. They have proven above any other program that they are extremely selfish, and would never do anything to protect the stability of a conference as a whole. The inherent problem that Texas has ALWAYS had is that they're always out to get more money than anyone else at all costs; the SEC would kill themselves before they would allow a disease like Texas in to rot the conference from the inside out.

Third bonus reason: If there's any conference texas would join, it would be the Pac-12. They've already flirted with the thought several times (including OU, and Ok-state), and they're the only conference that would take such pigs.
Bryanisbest
AG
Happy, if I have to be one or the other I will take "awful poster." there is a chance my post was awful but absolutely no chance i am a sip fan. then again, most awful posts I have seen don't last 4 pages. People flame for a little while then ignore.
catag
AG
quote:
t.u. has a Baylor, Tech and TCU problem

This.

A&M escaped from this noose, very underrated accomplishment in our move to the SEC.

[This message has been edited by catag (edited 11/18/2012 4:40p).]
radio collared squirrel
How did a zoo troll thread end up here?
stick93
AG
^ Because it wasn't pertaining to water coolers/uni combos/should we have cheerleaders.
boozinCTAG
quote:
The surest sign of BAS is an Aggie that is convinced that Texas will be able to join the SEC.

Ridiculous.
Happy Kuykendahl
Stupid f'ing thread
Jock 07
AG
Do they still think they can go indy?
e=mc2
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

As of 11/18/2012, there have been 1 objections to this post.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.