Business & Investing
Sponsored by

People still complaining about Midland/Odessa

11,041 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 94chem
dallasag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lived in Midland for almost 10 years after going out there thinking it would be more like 4-6 years. It is 100% what you make of it. Some people love it, others want out after a few months. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

It is a phenomenal place to start a career in the energy industry. Now having worked alongside others my age who have not spent time out there, it is obvious that as far as O&G goes, Midland experience >>> anywhere else. The technical diversity of the Midland & Delaware Basins along with the CBP cover almost any onshore operating environment outside of bone-dry gas production.

Also made some life-long friends. Out of the dozen or so of us, only one is still there as we have all moved away for various reasons. The community is there if you look for and open yourself up to it. Yes, most of the people that grew up in Midland and graduated from MHS or LHS stick together and are not really looking for outsiders who do not see Midland as the center of the universe.

Now living in a major city, I do have to say the educational and medical offerings in Midland are severely lacking. Public golf is a joke (don't get me started on Hogan or Ratliff versus public options in any major city in TX), so if you do not want to shell out $40k for Greentree or $80k+ for MCC you are kind of SOL. You are far away from everywhere plus there is a Midland premium on airfare. Personally, I disliked the dry air, wind and dust the longer I was out there.

While there is no amount of money that would get me to move back, I respect what my experience did for my life. You don't have to have others agree with you to validate your opinion. Life would be pretty damn boring if we all agreed on everything.
TxAg20
AG
"Just like every place you go [insert location]'s got the blues." - Reckless Kelly, How Was California?

I spent 33 of my 40 years in Midland and I don't know of another place that had better opportunities during my career (2007 to 2022).

Midland has changed significantly from the 1990's to today. I think one of the biggest negative issues for the area is the transient labor force. In the 90s and early 2000s, almost everyone that worked there lived there. Now, it's a "rental car town" for many. It's just a means to an end, so much gets taken out and very little gets put back into the community.

I feel very lucky for my time in Midland, and miss many of the friends that are still there, but I have no plans to move back. You can build a very nice life in Midland if you have a little bit of intelligence and work ethic. You can also make a lot of money there and move your nice life elsewhere.

Few people travel to Midland for vacation and few people dream of retiring to Midland. I met people there that hated it and some that loved it, but I never saw anyone put in effort to build relationships there and fail.
AG81xx
AG
Was in O&G. Lived in Casper, Wyoming for 5 years, Cody, Wyoming for 11 years, and then moved to Midland in 1997. Going from a town of 6,000 to 100,000 was a good transition for the kids. Stayed in Midland 8 years with both daughters graduating from Midland Lee and then going to A&M. Both were admitted to A&M as top 10% of class combined with SAT scores. If they had been in a rich DFW or Houston school district they may have had a harder time getting into A&M. Midland was a great sized town for raising kids at that time. Found that most families were oil field transients and all in the same boat so little of them vs us mentality. After living in Wyoming, the long drives to big cities and isolation wasn't a big deal.
I do remember flying into the Midland airport from a Hawaii vacation and our youngest daughter looking out the window as we were landing and saying "what a hell hole". So it's definitely not the prettiest place. Overall it was a good experience for our family.
After the kids were ar A&M, my wife and I transferred to Houston and actually enjoyed our 6 years there because we didn't have to live in the suburbs for school district considerations. Tried to enjoy the restaurants and city activities.
After retirement, we moved to Georgetown (central location to our parents and kids). But after 12 years the Californians and Austinites have driven us out. Now east of Dallas on 30 acre place to be near grand children.

Every place has a good side if you look at it right. Also 10 years is about our max before we get bored with a place and want something new.
Eliminatus
AG
There is an interesting dichotomy of perception of the area between educated career people who go there (Aggies) and those who had the misfortune to be there not entirely by choice. Which makes sense of course.

Just an observation.
SW AG80
AG
I was born and raised in west Texas and lived out there most of my adult life. Every time we flew back into Midland from vacation I would look out the plane window and wonder why we lived out there.

As I have grown older I have come up with the answer. THE PEOPLE. Great folks in west Texas.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
SW AG80 said:

I was born and raised in west Texas and lived out there most of my adult life. Every time we flew back into Midland from vacation I would look out the plane window and wonder why we lived out there.

As I have grown older I have come up with the answer. THE PEOPLE. Great folks in west Texas.
The people in West Texas are salt of the earth.

And the environment helps keep the Californians out.
JOHN2010
AG
All he has is bad opinions
jetch17
AG
jja79 said:

I do not now nor have I ever lived in Midland but they also have an airport if you haven't heard.
SPACEPORT!
94chem
"Is it just me or are Midland/Odessa nice as hell now?"

Yes. Yes it is. So are Fort Stockton, Wichita Falls, and Whites City, NM.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.