Business & Investing
Sponsored by

People still complaining about Midland/Odessa

11,048 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 94chem
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

It is for west Texas people.

AMEN!!
Teslag
AG
jja79 said:

I live 30min from DFW airport. I can beat you to Colorado.
SW AG80
AG
That's assuming your flight is on time. Or that it takes off at all.
La Bamba
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

I would rather saw my balls off with a rusty spoon than live in Midland/Odessa. Spent 3 years there off and on and would rather work in the ME again.

This. If you're into O&G towns and like "nice things" check out Doha or Abu Dhabi. Plus they pay better.
jja79
AG
I do not now nor have I ever lived in Midland but they also have an airport if you haven't heard.
Tumble Weed
SW AG80 said:

That's assuming your flight is on time. Or that it takes off at all.
Microsoft BSOD for the win.
Ragoo
AG
Teslag said:

jja79 said:

I live 30min from DFW airport. I can beat you to Colorado.
MAF has direct flights to Denver every day.
Ragoo
AG
I don't think I could ever live in midland. Not because the town or area is a negative, there are a lot of creature comforts, but it feels like the expectation is to always be working. Being close to the action you get the call to fight the days fires. Or people constantly coming into town wanting meetings, dinners, happy hours, etc.
BiggiesLX
I never got why midland and Odessa bothered to compare each other. Both places are about 15 years behind the rest of Texas and the locals seem unreasonably protective of their hoods. Would rather live in Lubbock or Amarillo.
TxAG-010
AG
Midland is a great place. If you do not like Midland or do not want to invest in the community most people here would be happy for you to leave and earn your living somewhere else. It's quite "rich" for people to gripe about Midland, yet they sure don't mind the check that hits their bank account. Be respectful to the place and people that pay your bills…
Teslag
AG
jja79 said:

I do not now nor have I ever lived in Midland but they also have an airport if you haven't heard.

The post I responded to was regarding driving there
Teslag
AG
TxAG-010 said:

Midland is a great place. If you do not like Midland or do not want to invest in the community most people here would be happy for you to leave and earn your living somewhere else. It's quite "rich" for people to gripe about Midland, yet they sure don't mind the check that hits their bank account. Be respectful to the place and people that pay your bills…

Everything west of a line from Fredericksburg to Wichita Falls is a straight up **** hole
SW AG80
AG
Obviously you have never lived in west Texas.
tejas_ayanem
SW AG80 said:

Or maybe you've never lived somewhere nice?
SW AG80
AG
Only College Station and San Antonio.

And as the world gets crazier and Texas gets too many people, Ft. Davis is looking better and better!

EDIT: The only thing keeping us in San Antonio is caring for my 95 yo FIL. Once that obligation in completed our final destination will be
1a. Granbury (lots of west Texas people retire there)
1b. College Station
2. North of San Antonio (Comal County)
3. San Angelo (even my San Antonio raised wife likes it
out there).
jja79
AG
City boy. Got it.
insulator_king
AG
Funny I never hear this discussion about Eunice and Jal.
insulator_king
AG
Or Kermit and Wink for that matter.
TxAG-010
AG
You're entitled to have an opinion, it's just a bad one.
Teslag
AG
jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Wrong. Spent plenty of time in West Texas and lived there for a year. Spent a lot of time deployed in Syria too and if looked very much the same. I was literally happier the day I left Midland than the day I came home from Iraq/Syria and that's not an exaggeration. West Texas is a complete and total **** hole and the only value it has is what's buried underneath it. That's it. That's the only reason it and its ****ty ass towns have any relevance at all.
WestTexasAg
AG
Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Wrong. Spent plenty of time in West Texas and lived there for a year. Spent a lot of time deployed in Syria too and if looked very much the same. I was literally happier the day I left Midland than the day I came home from Iraq/Syria and that's not an exaggeration. West Texas is a complete and total **** hole and the only value it has is what's buried underneath it. That's it. That's the only reason it and its ****ty ass towns have any relevance at all.
Seems a bit.......harsh.
fixer
Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Well the oil is kind of a big deal…
Tumble Weed
WestTexasAg said:

Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Seems a bit.......harsh.
The kind of dude that drives a Tesla is not going to embrace the wide open spaces out west.

He is best staying close to a charging station and a Starbucks.
Dirt 05
AG
If you hadn't been there long enough to love it & hate it you were just passing through.

You can still go rock the shocks on your vehicle like a teenager at the drive in movie catching a double feature with a spectacular sunset or if you time it just right a lightning storm that lights up the horizon and beats anything on the screen.

The tumble weeds, grey moon dust, wal-mart bags and assorted trash were all ugly eyesores, but then there were gems like the I20 preserve and Balmorhea that quenched your visual thirst for water, and adventures in the dunes of Monahans and canyons in the Guadalupe mountains and Palo Duro that are unforgettable and a day trip away.

There were cliques and insular locals that made you feel like a stranger. And you also made friends that you'd trust with your life or family. Anxiety and fear of the next bust could be real, and took a toll on my health one year.

Did I have to carry out vigilante justice against porch bandits and would be alley way thieves, yes, but it still makes for some great slightly exaggerated Judge Roy Bean/Rambo stories.

Blue Door makes an excellent old fashioned.... you'll need them some days.

Teslag - sorry that pipeliner/welder stole your girl and then rolled coal.
beerad12man
AG
tejas_ayanem said:

SW AG80 said:

Or maybe you've never lived somewhere nice?
Or maybe people just have a difference of opinion of what nice is?

Some want a big city. Some want country side. Who's to say what is nice and what isn't? The prettiest part of Texas is out west, just in my opinion. Just from a pure nature, vastness, and serenity standpoint. Finding work there is another thing, however.

And I'm not talking about Midland in general. More like southwest Texas. Just adding my two cents.
Teslag
AG
Tumble Weed said:

WestTexasAg said:

Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Seems a bit.......harsh.
The kind of dude that drives a Tesla is not going to embrace the wide open spaces out west.

I also drive a 3/4 ton diesel. Live in a rural area outside the city. Just not in ****hole west Texas. I have more trees on property than all of ector county.
Dreigh
Teslag said:

Tumble Weed said:

WestTexasAg said:

Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Seems a bit.......harsh.

I also drive a 3/4 ton diesel. Live in a rural area outside the city. Just not in ****hole west Texas. I have more trees on property than all of ector county.

Where do you live?
Teslag
AG
Lake Granbury
TxAG-010
lobopride
The biggest problem I have with Midland/Odessa is the dryness of the air. It does something crazy to my sinuses when I go out there.
Canyon99
AG
Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

West Texas is a complete and total **** hole and the only value it has is what's buried underneath it. That's it. That's the only reason it and its ****ty ass towns have any relevance at all.

You are an absolute disgrace as a human being to disrespect industries and folks that don't fit into your view of being worthwhile. I'm embarrassed that you are an Aggie. Grow up.
The Collective
AG
Teslag said:

TxAG-010 said:

Everything west of a line from Fredericksburg to Wichita Falls is a straight up **** hole

Wait - which side of the line is Wichita Falls on? I have an opinion.
AgLA06
AG
Teslag said:

jja79 said:

City boy. Got it.

Dallas only exists because there was only 1 place to cross a river in 1850.

Houston only exists because 2 brothers got a cheap deal on land and paid off the government and built them a new state building if they'd relocate.

San Antonio only exists because of the catholic church.

Midland was founded because of the railroad and ranching.

None are really connected to their beginnings 150+ years later. They either adapt to keep the economy thriving or die.

Ag CPA
AG
SW AG80 said:

Only College Station and San Antonio.

And as the world gets crazier and Texas gets too many people, Ft. Davis is looking better and better!

EDIT: The only thing keeping us in San Antonio is caring for my 95 yo FIL. Once that obligation in completed our final destination will be
1a. Granbury (lots of west Texas people retire there)
1b. College Station
2. North of San Antonio (Comal County)
3. San Angelo (even my San Antonio raised wife likes it
out there).
Granbury, the meth capital of DFW?
SW AG80
AG
I have not seen that part of Granbury.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.