Business & Investing
Sponsored by

People still complaining about Midland/Odessa

10,876 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 94chem
Serviam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it just me or are Midland/Odessa nice as hell now? I've been going to the Permian for the last 16 years or so since I graduated and man it's not only so much better than it used to be; it's actually nice now, but I still hear people grumbling about how much it sucks.

They've got great restaurants in that new plaza where the Cork and Pig is at; Ratliff ranch is a pretty fun and affordable 18 holes of golf, and the new Marriott Convention Center is A+++, the restaurant there is amazing; they've got a great breakfast hash casserole you've got to try.

After staying in Grand Junction or Pecos or Williston or Waynesburg, Odessa is like a jewel now.
Complete Idiot
https://texags.com/forums/40
Serviam
Complete Idiot said:

https://texags.com/forums/40

Oof
Hoyt Ag
AG
I would rather saw my balls off with a rusty spoon than live in Midland/Odessa. Spent 3 years there off and on and would rather work in the ME again.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
We passed through on the way to Santa Fe last month and it was way nicer than I expected/remembered.
Brother Shamus
lol - some people never leave home.
Eliminatus
AG
It's nicer. Still wouldn't say "nice" though. Born and raised in Odessa. It's still a ****ing cesspool and I'd rather see what a 9mm tastes like than ever go back permanently. I also have a lot of negative memories though admittedly. I also highly suspect you are not traveling in the same areas in the Permian Basin as I do. So I guess it's all relative in the end.

PeekingDuck
AG
I don't think I'd ever categorize it as 'nice as hell', but they are definitely not terrible places. I certainly don't mind spending a few days there on work trips, but I don't know if I'd want to live out there.
harge57
AG
Its a great place to make some money. If you make enough you might even get to leave! A lot of the people I know that really made it are all gone at this point. Moved to DFW, hill country, or Colorado.
Eliminatus
AG
harge57 said:

Its a great place to make some money. If you make enough you might even get to leave! A lot of the people I know that really made it are all gone at this point. Moved to DFW, hill country, or Colorado.
I mean, I made the extremely conscious decision to go to war to escape that place. It was either oil fields or enlist. And there was exactly one place I was going as an enlisted grunt in '05 and that was no secret when I signed the papers.

Still one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.
double aught
AG
Unless those cities have been moved, they are not nice as hell now. I don't care how good the breakfast casserole is.
Tim Weaver
OP, you should go buy a house and a jacked-up 4wd there. Spend some of that pipeliner money.
Tumble Weed
I love the Permian Basin and want to move back. I have lots of family that still live there.

My wife hates it so it will never happen.

Also, Midland is nice. Odessa is not. There is no Midland Odessa. It is two distinct places.
tejas_ayanem
double aught said:

Unless those cities have been moved, they are not nice as hell now. I don't care how good the breakfast casserole is.
This.
jja79
AG
You lost me at move to DFW.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Until most of the people want to be there, are happy there and proud of being there, it will continue to be a ****hole. When the he majority can't wait to escape or go back home, it will always suck. Dropping a shiny new Chili's is just a corn nibblet in a steaming pile of caca.
well_endowed_ag
I'm in Midland every couple of weeks. Nice place. I'd live there.
CaptnCarl
AG
When providing your opinion, also providing your current zip code would be beneficial for context.

This is a dumb argument, as it is all a matter or personal perspective, value, and barometer of what you consider 'nice.'

There are folks in Midland with personal staff, private jets with pilots, vacation homes, country club and raqcuet club memberships, etc. Most would consider that 'nice as hell.'

There are folks in DFW that take a bus to work washing dishes at Mi Cocina in HP Village 7 days a week. DFW is really nice, though!

There are folks in Houston hand washing cars for tips in River Oaks. Is Houston so nice?

There are folks in Midland making $300K/year, have community and raise kids, commute 10 minutes to work maximing time at home, and rack up Southwest Airlines miles living 10 minutes from the airport. To them, living in Midland is 'nice.'

Some people are miserable @**holes wherever they live. Some people make wherever they live 'nice.'

jja79
AG
I grew up in Fort Stockton so I thought it was heaven.
TxAG#2011
Nice as hell? It is flat and lifeless in every direction.

If you think that I'd encourage you to travel more, the northwest and northeast have some beautiful areas.
chris1515
AG
Don't forget, I hear they have a new Chicken Salad Chick.
Tumble Weed
jja79 said:

I grew up in Big Spring. Midland was the big city that had all the good restaurants. Has the best looking ladies that I have ever seen.

Some people cry about the sand storms, but it keeps the Californians out.
RogerFurlong
CaptnCarl said:

When providing your opinion, also providing your current zip code would be beneficial for context.

You forgot to follow your own rule.
jja79
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Nice as hell? It is flat and lifeless in every direction.

If you think that I'd encourage you to travel more, the northwest and northeast have some beautiful areas.

But it has a treasure under ground.
Mas89
AG
What if you had to pick between Midland/Odessa and Port Arthur? I always thought of Port Arthur as the worst imaginable place to live in Texas.
Went to a wedding in Garden City once and stayed in Midland. Thought it was a decent place but we didn't venture out into the oil fields.
txaggie_08
AG
Tumble Weed said:

jja79 said:

I grew up in Big Spring. Midland was the big city that had all the good restaurants. Has the best looking ladies that I have ever seen.

You lost me here….
txaggie_08
AG
Quote:

There are folks in Midland making $300K/year, have community and raise kids, commute 10 minutes to work maximing time at home, and rack up Southwest Airlines miles living 10 minutes from the airport. To them, living in Midland is 'nice.'

Pretty much this right here. Gotta love the short commutes and community. Town/landscape isn't the prettiest but it's a great place to raise a family and good friends. I've been out there for over 6 years now.
Ag06Law
AG
Mas89 said:

What if you had to pick between Midland/Odessa and Port Arthur? I always thought of Port Arthur as the worst imaginable place to live in Texas.

This isn't even close. Midland every day and twice on Sunday. Port Arthur is the epitome of a ****hole.
tejas_ayanem
Tumble Weed said:

jja79 said:

You should get out more if those are the best looking ladies you've seen.
Kenneth_2003
AG
txaggie_08 said:

Tumble Weed said:

jja79 said:

You lost me here….

I mean his user name certainly fits...
But unless you're into thick caked on makeup, painted on eyelashes, fake nails, and loads of tats...

And the whole place is always one oil price hiccup from total collapse.
jja79
AG
Pretty easy access to the New Mexico mountains, Davis mountains, Colorado and there wasn't a hurricane this week.
tejas_ayanem
Colorado is at a min 7 hrs away (and most people aren't staying in Trinidad), I don't know that that's easy.
jja79
AG
It is for west Texas people.
MAS444
AG
7ish hours to Colorado sounds nice to me. I spent a lot of time in Odessa 15ish years ago and it was an absolute hell hole. I have no doubt midland was and is nice in comparison.
WestTexasAg
AG
Midland isn't bad. The eastern edge of Odessa is nice. No reason to venture any further in to Odessa than that though. Drops off in a hurry.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.