Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Long term hold

10,242 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by jamey
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know what constitutes a long term hold, perhaps 6 months or years but in contrast to the Stock Markets thread that's more for the daily pros and options I thought I'd try and start one for us longer term holders

I'm certainly no expert

My long term holds are the following as a percentage of my self managed portfolio

AI 20% mixed bag of AI stocks / ETFs including AIQ, MSFT, PLTR and IONQ. I already sold my NVDA a few times. I have a buy order at $110. If it rolls into my glove I've laid on the ground, great if not, oh well. Same goes for an AAPL order at $196

20% Biotechnology, mostly XBI, and a little ARKG. My XBI is up 30% but holding for much more whenever rates go down

30% Bitcoin in IBIT. I think I'm done buying. Just wait and see, hope to see more adoption

5% in Russell IWM wait for rate cuts. Buy order for more at $197

15% energy in XLE

10% cash
aunuwyn08
AG
I'm really hard pressed to hold anything long term other than vong or vgt.

Tech had been driving the market forward for 30+ years, so why not just take a bet on all of them so you don't get pets.comed or yahooed
EliteZags
AG

70%ish indexes/ETFs (with 10% VUG, 5% SMH) so indirectly 5-6% NVDA
8% PLTR (targeting 10%+ by year end from either appreciation and/or DCA) - cost basis low teens
3% PYPL
3% GOOG
3% TSLA
3% MDT (previous company stock)
2% AMZN
1.5% ENPH
1% BABA
1% HOOD
1% SOFI
1% CRWD
then buncha smaller positions (AVGO, SMCI, COIN, TTD, MTTR, PLAY, POWL, GME, CELH, TNA, HUMA, ABCL, LCID, MNKD, MRNA)

<1% cash
OldArmyCT
AG
My Apple cost basis is $8, give or take a few pennies. I think that constitutes a long term hold.
harge57
AG
I have held the following for at least 3 years.

AMZN
GOOG
MSFT
FANG
PLTR
NTNX
NVDA. Bought this at what would be less than 5 dollars factoring in the splits, but have taken profits along the way.

The only 3 I would not sell right now are AMZN, GOOG, MSFT.
I bleed maroon
AG
FYI - there's a thread for this that's been around several years:

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/3120252
Diggity
AG
OP starts a new thread every time a thought occurs to him
jamey
AG
I've been buying some intermediate bonds in my 401K fund with the assumption those will be good long term holds especially when rates start coming down
El Chupacabra
OldArmyCT said:

My Apple cost basis is $8, give or take a few pennies. I think that constitutes a long term hold.
That's the way it's done!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
EclipseAg
AG
I bought my first stock in 1990 -- 40 shares of PEP -- and still have it today.

My first dividend was $4. My last one was $140.96
BucketofBalls99
OldArmyCT said:

My cost basis is $120…..still holding long
Hoyt Ag
AG
Ive held these for longer than 3 years, combined probably 20% of my portfolio.

ET
KM
UTF
SBLK
EliteZags
AG
still considered longs, but I somehow well timed transferring my decent sized HSA from Optum to Fidelity in mid April right as VOO started dipping from 476, was annoyed at Optum's antiquated transfer process which forced selling to cash then taking up to a week to transfer, but it worked out as I swiftly bought half back in upper 450's
then as it started rising more figured I'd spice up the remainder to take advantage of tax free gains and sprinkled it across these, most of which I already owned elsewhere (gain% from past ~1.5 months):

SMH (+27%)
TSLA (+24%)
HOOD (+41%)
GOOG (+14%)
PLTR (+14%)
AVGO ( +25%)
SOFI (+3%)

also started doing something similar with a portion of my Roth after transferring to RH for the crazy 3% bonus a few months back which has also done pretty well

it's a conundrum with these accounts you kinda want to play aggressive to maximize untaxed gains potential, but at the same time losing hurts more due to limited fund capacity and no loss harvesting consolation
Bobaloo
OldArmyCT said:

Awesome…Started buying AAPL in 2016 and have never sold a share.
ToddyHill
AG

Quote:

I already sold my NVDA a few times
Why would you do that, especially if your asking about holding for the long term? I've owned NVDA since 2017 and I'd be very hard pressed to sell it, especially now. Think of the California gold rush. Who made the most money? It was the companies that made the picks and the shovels. In today's AI world, NVDA is the maker of the picks and shovels. I've no problem with trading it...but I think the big money is made by buying and holding it, and waiting ten years or more. Just my opinion.
jamey
AG
ToddyHill said:

Quote:

I already sold my NVDA a few times
Why would you do that, especially if your asking about holding for the long term? I've owned NVDA since 2017 and I'd be very hard pressed to sell it, especially now. Think of the California gold rush. Who made the most money? It was the companies that made the picks and the shovels. In today's AI world, NVDA is the maker of the picks and shovels. I've no problem with trading it...but I think the big money is made by buying and holding it, and waiting ten years or more. Just my opinion.

I got in real late, and it was running and falling back before running again. It didn't feel like a good long term hold considering how much it had already run. Of it falls again ill probably get some.

Perhaps it doubles again within the year but it's like nothing seen before.
LMCane
I just got a letter in the mail from Merrill that my shares in JP Morgan CD 5.5% is:

"FULL CALL"

does this mean that JP Morgan bought back my CD early and I am free to reinvest the money now?
Big Baccala
AG
LMCane said:

I just got a letter in the mail from Merrill that my shares in JP Morgan CD 5.5% is:

"FULL CALL"

does this mean that JP Morgan bought back my CD early and I am free to reinvest the money now?
I just got a full call on a Wells Fargo 5.9% Corp Bond for June 15. Should settle by June 17 so I'll be looking to put $ back to work.
beerad12man
AG
Diggity said:

OP starts a new thread every time a thought occurs to him
The last post on the bottom of the first page of this board is 13 days old. I think it's okay.
EliteZags
AG
planning for this to be my last day job anyways so just gonna leave this

northeastag
AG
Held MCO (my former employer) since it was $17. Currently at $400+, and looking for a good exit strategy.
YouBet
AG
Vast majority of our stuff is in ETFs, funds, bond ladder, and cash.

My long term individual investment holds are:

BTC
AMZN
XOM
WMT
OKE
PLTR
PLUG - I did sell about 75% of my PLUG and made a bundle on this at its ATH; what I have left is still up but not several thousand percent up and doubt it gets there again.
jamey
AG
I'm buying some AAPL with my cash after the Apple and open AI deal

It's hard to imagine whatever they ultimately unveil not being a big hit with so many apple addicts out there

I also suspect it will force them to upgrade their phones

So ot will be a second coming of "cool phone"
BucketofBalls99
$10,000 available…..would you buy SMCI or NVDA or CMG??
harge57
AG
MSFT
EliteZags
AG
he wants a volatile experience
Aggie Dad 26
Great info here. Thanks
62strat
AG
BucketofBalls99 said:

OldArmyCT said:

My cost basis is $120…..still holding long
I'm in apple at $25, $35, $40, (then for some reason I didn't buy some for a while, lesson learned), $115, $120, $130, $140 and $180. Nope, not selling. 700 shares at this point.

My kids are in at $172.. fun to think about what it might be worth in ~15 years when they can take over the account.

Then again, pretty much every stock I buy becomes long term. I only buy, rarely sell.

I've had msft since 2020, goog and fb since 2018, xom and nflx since 2016, amzn and cost since 2017.

All $5k-$10k buyins.

Out of maybe 40 positions, I only have about 6-7 losers, and none are large buy ins.

I'm down 97%+ on WARM and 99.4% on SAVA lol. Couple hundred bucks of losses!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BucketofBalls99 said:

$10,000 available…..would you buy SMCI or NVDA or CMG??

Why try to guess? SOXQ
EliteZags
AG
the veterans TSLA AAPL AMZN trying to take back over

been dipping more into SMCI in the low8s/high7s seem like they want back in on the action
jamey
AG
EliteZags said:

the veterans TSLA AAPL AMZN trying to take back over

been dipping more into SMCI in the low8s/high7s seem like they want back in on the action

I did the same on SMCI and plan to hold long term thru the roller coaster.
jamey
AG
I'm adding more to my 401Ks Broad Market Bond Fund which seeks to replicate the bloomberg us aggregate bond index performance. Plus I moved what I had in stable value. It's only at 12% of total portfolio but 20% of new money. This year is my first year to have any meaningful amount in bonds

I figure rates come down eventually, yields are good now, and prices will go up when rates turn down

I know bonds have sucked for long time so here's hoping it's makes it's way back as means to diversify
EliteZags
AG
jamey
AG
Of course I sold a small piece today before it hit those highs. Booked some profit though

I know it's suppose to be long term hold but I was getting pretty heavy on AI and decided to take a little off the table

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.