Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Budgeting Food/Takeout

20,734 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by steve00
Medaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Family of 5 with no interest in ever going to fast food places, so typically sit down restaurants.

Almost impossible to be much lower than $100 a shot after tax/tip.

Life is expensive. Anyone can control costs but depends on how much you want to sacrifice.
jh0400
AG
I just pulled my credit card statement to look. On a slow month we'll spend around $1,000 on dining out. Biggest of the year so far was June at $3,200. We did some traveling that month which led to more nice meals away from home. That doesn't include DoorDash which goes on a different card or my lunches during the week which usually get charged to my corporate DoorDash account.

On top of dining out we'll spend another $600 or so at HEB every month.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Without changing your lifestyle considerably, try and be more cognizant on what you're buying. People saying "well just don't go out as much". Duh. How to not spend as much money… just don't spend it. Genius!

For restaurants, like texmex, share a meal. We always fill up on chips and HH queso that 1 entree is enough. We don't order our kiddo their own meal. She likes rice and beans. That's 2-3$ usually.

Cut back in drinking at the restaurant. Get 1 beer or marg and call it good. Especially if on HH. I almost never pay for wine at restaurants. It's stupidly overpriced and usually not very good unless you're at a really nice place.

On groceries, try and meal plan and only buy those things. We found ourselves throwing a lot of stuff away. My wife is terrible about buying produce just to buy it and it goes bad "oh yeah I'm totally eating a spinach salad this week, has to be organic"

Never gets opened. Thrown away.

Buy meat on sale and freeze it.

Don't feel like you've got to have some 2 side, and a drink and a protein for every meal. All those extras add up and get thrown away. Stick to 1 protein 1 side. If you're still hungry, eat a few pretzels or a spoon of peanut butter.

Plan at least 1 night a week for leftovers. You'll find something to eat, trust me. Plan better on your schedule for eating out.

Going to Cs for the game that weekend? Gonna be pricey drinking $12 beers at the stadium. Stay at home that week to make up for it.

For reference, family of 3. Restaurant budget is $400/month and groceries is $800.
EliteZags
AG
single no kids decent income in very HCOL beach city
usually spend <$300 in groceries (6% cash back AMEX BCP) and <$200 restaurants (5% cash back Citi Custom Cash)

shop for mostly whatever's on sale at Sprouts and a local discount grocer, pretty significant portion goes towards just celery for daily juicing (~$10/wk) which makes me feel better about eating less clean on occasion
cook all dinners during wk, have an instant pot, air fryer, and Ninja grill

work at a startup so fully onsite, would be too mundane to pack lunches and sit in office all day so avg ~$25/wk on lunches hitting various local specials, using apps etc
ie SUB349 on Subway app has worked for a while for $3.49 6inch, El Pollo Loco usually has a 4wings+2 sides special for <$6
office has coffee/espresso pods, tea, snacks. occasional food etc

outside of that heavily avoiding sit down restaurants keeps spend down, always find specials for take-out that are usually <$10. The occasional splurge would be spontaneous ordering food for a group of friends at some gathering using Uber Eats promos, ie a decent Mex place has a family pack special with 2lbs meat tortillas rice beans veggies salsa etc using 40% promo ~$30 delivered within 20mins good for up to a dozen people to snack on
Chipotlemonger
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Without changing your lifestyle considerably, try and be more cognizant on what you're buying. People saying "well just don't go out as much". Duh. How to not spend as much money… just don't spend it. Genius!

The OP opened it up for the "don't go out as much" response. DINK with that amount of expense is very eat out heavy, regardless of what they are buying. Not going out as much will truly be the best and easiest way to change their spend.

Also, in my opinion, they will probably get more joy out of going out fewer times but not changing what they order when the go out over going out just as much and always getting no booze or no expensive items.

Quote:

On groceries, try and meal plan and only buy those things.

Fully agree with this. Great way to not throw away money.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm not a sugary coffee drinker; I drink black, so the beans have to be good. Imo, Ruta Maya is the best deal there is on great flavor, cost, and availability. You can find it at HEB and Costco.

If I don't make and drink that on my way to work, McDonald's coffee is probably the highest quality thing you can get at that restaurant. It's superior to most other fast food coffee.
txaggieacct85
AG
I find eating out at restaurants is the single item most controllable category in a personal budget.

simple, quit eating out so much.

My wife and I are empty nesters and now we maybe eat out one meal per week.

Sometimes we just eat a PB&J at home

Also been good lately about making my own coffee even though we have four starbucks and a Dutch Bros within one mile of our neighborhood
Phat32
AG
Counterpoint to all of the advice: make more money.
wildmen09
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

htxag09 said:

Dual income here but 1 kid (2.5).

Our grocery budget is $800, we are usually between $775-900. We do typically buy our protein in bulk, portion out, and vacuum seal and freeze. For example when pork loins go on sale for $0.99/lb we'll buy the max allowable and make pork loin chops and a few bags of small pork pieces for stir fries from the ends.

Our restaurant budget is $600. Actuals for this year have ranged from $300-$750. The higher months are cases like meeting my sister and her family for dinner on her birthday and picking up the bill. I'm not a big brown bagger, so eat out for lunch everyday. Really helps that our company has a cafeteria and it's supplemented so each lunch is $6-12.

We used to go out to restaurants a lot. I mean, a lot. That would v around $1,750 for us in a month

In the last month we cut down restaurants increased grocery shopping. We were surprised to see at the end of the month that we were at $1,700

Problem is we were doing grocery trips to Costco, Trader Joe's, and Target. The target trips add up, fast.

So now we're focused on majority Costco, some TJ's, rare visits to Target, and restaurants for the remaining.

Thanks for all the opinions here

Target can get out of hand. Not a great place to shop.

Costco we find can be the same problem.
ATM9000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

My wife is terrible about buying produce just to buy it and it goes bad "oh yeah I'm totally eating a spinach salad this week, has to be organic"

Never gets opened. Thrown away.

Buy meat on sale and freeze it.

Freeze the fruit and veg too. Obviously not as good as fresh but you can do a lot of stuff with leftover frozen fruit and veg and it keeps for a good while like meat.
JobSecurity
AG
A lot of y'all need to get the amex gold. 5x points at grocery stores and restaurants. One month for some of you is a one way ticket to Europe. Pm me for a referral
62strat
AG
JobSecurity said:

A lot of y'all need to get the amex gold. 5x points at grocery stores and restaurants. One month for some of you is a one way ticket to Europe. Pm me for a referral
A one way ticket to Europe is ~10k points?

I find that hard to believe.
JobSecurity
AG
You can get 15k one way with flying blue and amex does point transfer promos for 25% off a few times a year. So 12k points. Not bad!
evan_aggie
AG
TXTransplant said:

Another thought I had...since you're in Houston, maybe it's worth it to look into some cooking classes. People often don't want to cook at home because they don't really know how to do much more than boil water, brown some ground beef, and pour jarred spaghetti sauce over it. If you are used to eating out a lot you might feel like you can't replicate that kind of food at home (trust me, you can, and it will probably taste even better and be healthier than the restaurant version).

Central Market has some great cooking classes. There is also a lady in Houston who does lessons at her home. Her name is Marcia Smart/Smart in the Kitchen. She specializes in quick and easy weeknight meals. Her website has tons of good recipes, and she also recently published a cookbook that is fantastic. I've taken several of her classes (because I just enjoy that kind of stuff) and highly recommend.

I also really like the Skinnytaste website and series of cookbooks. Same idea - simple, quick, easy recipes using good ingredients.

As others have implied, depending on what types of foods you like best, it also might be worth it to invest in a nice cooking tool/appliance (grill, pizza oven, InstantPot, or even just a really nice set of cookware).

With that said, both grocery and restaurant prices have gone through the roof (stating the obvious, I know). I've never been a grocery shopper who looks for sales each week. I buy what I like, and tend to buy the same things over and over. What used to cost me about $100 a few years ago is now more like $180. When my son was at home, our grocery bill was as high as $1500 some months.

Also, if you are doing most of your shopping at a place like Whole Foods, you are paying a premium. I went to Central Market for the first time in a while last weekend and was shocked at some of the prices there, too.

If you have the time/inclination, you can split up your shopping to save money. Sometimes, I will do a Wal-Mart curbside for the "basics" that I can get anywhere - paper towels, toilet paper, yogurt, etc. Their prices usually are cheaper than HEB (and HEB adds an additional 3% to prices if you do curbside). I save the HEB run for the things that I can only get at HEB.

If you have access to a Trader Joes, they actually have very reasonable prices on some things, like cheese, eggs, coffee, spices, some produce (depending on what it is), and other staples.

If you have recurring food/pantry orders on Amazon, watch these closely as Amazon has been implementing dynamic pricing. There were certain items I started buying from Amazon because they were cheaper. After purchasing a few times, I started noticing significant price increases, sometimes as much as 50-100%. If I don't buy for a while, the price goes back down. It's a shady practice that ticks me off, but it hasn't kept me from going back to Amazon when they do have the best price.

Man, those cooking classes are crazy expensive. We did them a couple of times for date nights. I think they were $60 each.
Iowaggie
AG
About a dozen years ago, I gave up on accurately tracking grocery expenses due to her grocery shopping at Walmart, and grocery shopping also meant buying toiletries, toys, wrapping paper, etc.

The problem has been magnified by us adding Costco into the groceries or generator purchases.

It has gotten much easier now that she shops much more often at Trader Joes or Aldi's but we track it less, again because of Costco/Walmart purchases, but last month, that total was $2000.

Our restaurant total was $500, but that includes dining out when we travel to see the kids in college. Those trips probably are about half the expenses.

Eliminatus
AG
Two simple things made a world of difference to me.

Keeping track of your take out expenditure and forcing yourself to look at it daily. It sucks to see those hundreds leave your bank account but better than not seeing it.

Making a meal plan. And sticking to it obviously. It was sooooo easy for me to give up and deviate to fast food when I didn't have anything planned. I'd open the fridge, glance around, get discouraged, and then close it and just go grab something. It's MUCH easier to cook when you open the fridge and just start pulling things to start prepping without having to think about it.

Just my thoughts.
TXTransplant
Yeah, SITK is expensive. She caters to a specific high-end demographic. But the idea is maybe you go to one class and take what you learn back to your own kitchen, if cooking is a struggle.

The Central Market classes are much more reasonable.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Maybe one of the best examples of different strokes for different folks.

We may spend $500 annually on eating out. We just don't enjoy it at all. Too loud, too expensive, etc. Most of our eating out is topping by Sonic for happy hour for a slush or grabbing my a burger after 18 holes at the clubhouse.

I'd be curious how some of these grocery budgets are so low; inflation has not been kind to groceries this year. We are at about 1200 a month, granted that is all meals and mostly organic/grass fed.
TXTransplant
I don't set a grocery budget for this very reason. I buy quote a few items besides just groceries at HEB (and other stores). And as I said previously, I'm not a bargain or coupon shopper when it comes to groceries. I will use them if I have them, but I don't go out of my way.

There are also some months when I'm stocking up on staple items (like the protein powder that I use every day), and that skews my monthly budget somewhat. Or I might make a special trip to Central Market and splurge on a few items.

But I've surprisingly been pretty consistent (within a couple hundred $) over the past couple of years. Now that my son is home and I'm just feeding myself, it's even easier to keep my spending constant.

As others have said, seems like eating out and/or ordering takeout/delivery are the two expenses that would be easier to control. The one exception is the occasional HEB curbside, but that extra 3% chaps my hide (and I will not do curbside if I need produce - that's just a waste of money).

I can't think of a single time in the last 10+ years when I've ever ordered food for delivery. I've NEVER used Door Dash or Uber Eats. That just seems like a huge waste of $ to me. My views may be affected by my experience growing up - we lived too far outside of town for Domino's to deliver. So, we always just went and picked everything up ourselves. It was never a big deal.
evan_aggie
AG
I was talking about central market classes.

$50-$70 per person.
TXTransplant
evan_aggie said:

I was talking about central market classes.

$50-$70 per person.

If you think those are expensive, then don't look at the Smart in the Kitchen ones!
Josepi
AG
A lot of good advice in here. My family goes out to eat far too often. It's just too easy with all of the after school activities we have going on.

I'll add this as I haven't seen it mentioned. When you go out, get water instead of a soft drink or tea. Restaurants now typically charge $4 - $4.50 for a soft drink which is just ridiculous. I force my lids to get water instead of lemonade now. There was some grumbling a first, but nobody cares now. Easily knocks $20 - $25 off the bill.

Also, I've quit using food delivery services unless I'm just really exhausted. For an Aggie game, if I order 50 wings from Wing Stop using Door Dash, it's about $35 higher than if I go pick them up myself which only takes about 15 minutes.
ATM9000
AG
Josepi said:

A lot of good advice in here. My family goes out to eat far too often. It's just too easy with all of the after school activities we have going on.

Nope… don't do it. Don't use time and busyness as a crutch. Rarely do you 'save' time by going out to eat and it really isn't that easy other than it makes everybody happy because everybody likes fried and fatty foods.
62strat
AG
ATM9000 said:

Josepi said:

Nope… don't do it. Don't use time and busyness as a crutch. Rarely do you 'save' time by going out to eat and it really isn't that easy other than it makes everybody happy because everybody likes fried and fatty foods.
this.

I don't think going to a restaurant saves time at all, so I don't get the argument. It seems backwards to me. It takes much less time to eat at home. I can whip up burgers or hot dogs in a few minutes. We always keep them on hand, among a few other easy things like pasta/meatballs/red sauce.

The freezer is your friend. In our freezer, we always have burgers, hotdogs, fried shrimp, meatballs, and ground beef that I portion out, plus an easy night like corndogs or chicken nuggets. Our kids are 7/8 so I know that isn't for everyone, and we aren't too far away from our kids outgrowing that.

But having freezer foods for your backup nights is essential to getting rid of the mentality that a restaurant is easier.

Meal plan for a few nights, then freezer dive for the others.

And if we are really low, we aren't above eating cereal or cans of soup. Rarely do I think 'hey I'd rather spend $75 tonight on takeout than clear out some pantry food'

62strat
AG
Quote:

I can't think of a single time in the last 10+ years when I've ever ordered food for delivery. I've NEVER used Door Dash or Uber Eats. That just seems like a huge waste of $ to me.
on the rare occasion we use a third party, I do it because there is a deal that makes the bottom line equal or cheaper than going and picking it up myself.

It's usually either a 40% off thing, or a bogo thing, something. I put it in the cart, check the total with fees, add on my tip, and then I go compare it to the menu prices of the restaurant I'm getting it from if I picked up (because uber eats/doordash add ~20% to menu prices, on top of fees)

if it's more than few bucks more, I don't do it.

I also have a free subscription to one of them at any given time, through a credit card promo, or I think right now it's amazon prime with free door dash. the subscriptions lower fees and delivery to where this is more easily accomplished.
ChoppinDs40
AG
GrubHub+ with Amazon prime. No fees.
htxag09
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

It's still cheaper to just go and pick it up yourself....

A lot of restaurants raise the price of individual items. Then you have tips, etc.
ChoppinDs40
AG
debatable depending on what you drive and how far and time = money.

I wasn't advocating for it but just clarifying that Amazon provides GrubHub+
ATM9000
AG
62strat said:

ATM9000 said:

Josepi said:

And if we are really low, we aren't above eating cereal or cans of soup. Rarely do I think 'hey I'd rather spend $75 tonight on takeout than clear out some pantry food'

I don't go this far.

But… yeah cooking in your own kitchen doesn't have to take that much time. Both my wife and I are capable of whipping up a stir fry for the family or something like peanut udon noodles for the family in 10-15 minutes. If one of us does this then the other takes 10 minutes to clean the kitchen (or my daughter does this). Running out to get carry out or waiting for Doordash or whatever probably burns just as much time.

Or premake a throw down meal for a few nights on Sunday… something you can make in big batches and heat up in a pinch. Still takes little time to do. One I do often is take some chorizo and chopped chicken. Cook it with onion and garlic and whatever seasonings sounds good. Simmer in a good big cans worth of quality crushed tomatoes then take a bunch of the veg I've not eaten yet on my fridge and chop and blanch it in the tomatoes.

It's easy. And knocks out utilizing and prolonging life of old veg, is nutritious, easy and best of all delicious and keeps well for the week.

Basically… I'm saying it's not hard to do stuff like this if you just know some basics when it comes to cooking.
62strat
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

dash pass as well with prime

As said though, these third party apps add 20, sometimes 30% to menu prices. So even w/o 'fees' you are still paying more. then you have tip.

Total random example, a chicken bowl from qdoba on grub hub is $14.35. The menu price is $11.45. That is a 25% price hike.

62strat
AG
htxag09 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

It's still cheaper to just go and pick it up yourself....

A lot of restaurants raise the price of individual items. Then you have tips, etc.

As I mentioned, I only order if there is a promo. I have never used third party and paid more than just ordering pickup directly from restaurant. Even with tip.

Sometimes I end up doubling up promos; We got two mexican pizzas on a BOGO promo from some mexican place near us recently, plus the app had 40% off. It fed all 4 of us since they were like 12" diameter.

So instead of $15x2 plus $5 in fees plus $8 in tip = $43 (which is probably only $25 at restaurant), it was $15*.6 = $9 plus a few bucks in fees and a $7 tip = ~$20.

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
We started a system where we put up dry erase magnets on the fridge, and we keep track of our food purchases here once we get home

We're finding this much easier than trying to figure out a system with Google sheets or credit card statement exports

It also reminds us how we're tracking very quickly and easily. Constant reminder, which is working for us.

We're spending $250 in groceries from 9/18 - 9/30 and have spent $50 in the last 1.5 weeks on takeout/restaurants

We are already tracking much better

Appreciate the replies

And to the guy who said I shouldn't have to come online to ask about this, sounds like you've learned a thing or two here as well
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good to hear.

Another thing we've started doing that helps us with not having a plan ahead of time (therefore resorting to more expensive takeout) is to trade off meal planning every other week. We do this more as a time/planning trade off rather than doing this for any sort of cost savings. But by doing this, you have 100% control over the meals for the week. We normally go to the store twice/week, so we plan our meals a few days at a time.

This really helps us to be able to better exhaust everything we buy. So the cost savings is two fold: Less food waste and fewer meals of takeout.

Even before this method we did not eat out that much. So now when we do it does make it that much more fun and special.
agnerd
AG
When I was single, I spent the same amount on eating out as I did on Groceries. About $1,300 each per YEAR, or $120 a month each. Most store brands were as good as the name brands, so save money there.

Breakfast was cereal that was on sale. $2 box of cereal is 6+ meals. So maybe $0.40 per meal including milk.

Lunch was a sandwich, some chips, fruit, a coke, and some cookies. Bread is 10 cents, slice of meat and cheese $.75, coke is 0.33, 0.35 for fruit, and cookies are 0.20. So about $1.73 for lunch. Way cheaper for PB&J.

For dinner, pasta, rice, and potatoes are really cheap. 25 cents per serving or less usually. Butter, and spices are cheap. Vegetables are cheap. Add some cheese and you're good. Ground beef in a tube is cheap. Whole uncooked chicken is cheap and 4+ meals. Make 3 or 4 meals at a time, and then eat left overs. About half my dinners have meat, half do not. Meals without meat are usually about $0.75. With meat are about $2.5. They probably average about $2. Learn how to season with salt, pepper, and garlic, and and almost anything will taste good.

$1 box of brownie mix plus a few eggs is dessert for the week.

I almost never bought anything from the frozen food aisle, or the bakery. Like others have mentioned, I bought whatever meat was on sale.

When I did go out to a restaurant, that was usually 2 meals, I ordered water, never got an appetizer or dessert, and no alcohol. $15 entree + tax and tip is $20.

Oh, and stay single. Girlfriend obliterated my budget since we had to go to nice restaurants and buy name brands. My situation is maybe a little extreme, but I grew up on cheap foods, so that's what I still like.
double aught
AG
Josepi said:

Also, I've quit using food delivery services unless I'm just really exhausted. For an Aggie game, if I order 50 wings from Wing Stop using Door Dash, it's about $35 higher than if I go pick them up myself which only takes about 15 minutes.
Would you like your food to cost much more and be colder? Then Door Dash is for you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.