Business & Investing
Sponsored by

You won the lotto, what now?

16,171 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by pbrancazio
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had the same idea the other night while deep in thought regarding my lotto winnings. I'd rather win 9 million than 900 million. Then about 30 seconds later...nah I'll take me chances.
HECUBUS
AG
"One less thing to worry about."
HECUBUS
AG
"One less thing".
Saltyag15
AG
Can't believe no one has said divorce their wife and live with $375 million IN PEACE!
AgsMyDude
AG
RogerFurlong said:

A friend of my dad's has his son's trust fund setup to where he get's a match of the previous year's W-2. So if he makes 200k he gets 200k, if he makes 25K he only get's 25K. Pretty good idea to keep them from getting spoiled living off your hard work. I would setup something like that.

That's a really good idea
Stat Monitor Repairman
Somebody in New Jersey won the mega millions to the tune of $1.13 Billion.
Spaceship
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Cash payout of $537.5 million
After tax deposit of $338.6 million
Earn 4% per year and that's $13 million per year to live off and never touch the principal.
Pretty crazy.
txaggie_08
AG
$865MM Powerball tonight, $416MM cash value. About $262MM after taxes in Texas.
one safe place
LostInLA07 said:

I imagine you'd have to somehow tie the yacht to a business and maybe there's a way to take a huge deduction to offset a bunch of income?

I always thought this strategy worked best with cash flow producing and fast depreciation schedule assets though. No clue where a yacht falls. I think you still get bonus depreciation on jets thoughā€¦so maybe you start a jet charter business, buy a $250MM jet, bonus depreciate the whole thing, and then borrow against it. Charter the jet out to cover the (deductible) interest expense and convert $250MM in taxable income to tax free income with the lease or charter fees covering the loan?

I do know you can use bonus depreciation to wipe out a bunch of taxable income when using a loan to purchaseā€¦because you can bonus depreciate based on the full eligible purchase price or cost, not the amount of equity you inject. So you basically get a big write off using the banks money.

Of course that's recaptured whenever you sell, but I suspect you can just use a 1031 exchange perpetually?

Surely some wise CPA can give us the 30,000ft explanation of something like this.
100% bonus depreciation is getting phased downward each year. For 2023 it is limited to 80% of the cost of the asset, then 60% in 2024, etc. There was a bill passed in the House restoring it to 100%, but don't think it has passed the Senate.

In your scenario, you charter the jet to pay the interest on the loan. At some point though, you have to pay off the loan. You will need $250 million for that.

Section 1031 treatment is no longer available for personal property (for the most part), only real estate. I think I read where boats that are permanently affixed to a dock might qualify, and some have opined that a charter yacht might as well. A private yacht would not. I don't think the charter yacht would fly though under examination and if dealing with a $250 million boat I would think you would be on the audit radar.

dc509
AG
I would begin the process of deferred giving trust to private placement life insurance.

I would also probably move to Aspen.
NoahAg
txaggie_08 said:

$865MM Powerball tonight, $416MM cash value. About $262MM after taxes in Texas.
When you look at it that way it's not even worth it.
txaggie_08
AG
How about this coming Saturday?

$935MM now, $450MM cash value, $283.5MM after taxes.
NoahAg
With that much cash I am going dark for a month or more. Only telling my wife. Telling my boss I'm taking a leave of absence but will check email periodically. Set up a trust and foundation to handle charitable requests. Decide on amounts to gift a select number of friends and family.

Set up trust for the kids (can't access until adulthood; hide how much they'll receive).
Pay off houses.
Buy house in Telluride, CO.
Buy Corvette Z06 and whatever ride my wife wants.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Move the F out of Colorado
Slow travel and volunteer globally
Will the rest to charities.
double aught
AG
Spaceship said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Cash payout of $537.5 million
After tax deposit of $338.6 million
Earn 4% per year and that's $13 million per year to live off and never touch the principal.
Pretty crazy.
Funny that it's advertised everywhere as 1.13 billion and you end up with less than a third of that in the bank.
pbrancazio
AG
Take care of extended family
Buy race horses
Get a Net Jets subscription

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.