Business & Investing
Sponsored by

You won the lotto, what now?

16,318 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by pbrancazio
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
750 million? I'll tell you what I'd do, man...1500 chicks at the same time.
wcb
AG
Duh.

Pay Uncle Sam.

Put the rest in ABML / BMIX.
The Collective
AG
I am risk averse. I have solid family (my side) that I trust completely. Given that, each person you tell or give $ to - you open up the opportunity for the whole thing to break wide open. This type of winning would make me literally scared for me, my wife, and my kids' lives. Given that, I'm not sure when I would tell my brothers. Would I want to and let them enjoy it with me? Hell yea. But they aren't starving either and are both successful. I think I'd just sit tight for a bit - figure out how to structure things for the time in which I'm ready to start naming beneficiaries and go from there.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
I would do whatever I could to make sure somehow my children, and their children, don't turn into absolute pieces of ****
flyingaggie12
AG
I'm buying a yacht and parking it in the Mediterranean in the summer and Caribbean in the winter. Then I'd buy a plane and I would meet said yacht wherever it is at that time. After that I would buy a country house in the south of France, condo in Miami, land in the Rockies. Park enough in treasuries to pay for all that and the rest invest in real estate.
MAS444
AG
That's a good way to start working through the money pretty quickly! Depending on size of yacht and plane. But I like it!
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Swiss private banking is your best bet all things considered.

Another strategy would be to buy the most expensive asset you can find ... like a super-yacht ... and borrow against that asset to do whatever you want to do after that. thats Cayman Islands all day every day. thats their rice bowl.

Thats a very common strategy for the ultra rich. Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But if you always wonder why billionaires always have a super yacht, thats why. Its a tax strategy, and a strategy for preserving wealth.

Most of the time buying a boat is a money sink, unless its a super yacht type situation, in which case its one of the smartest things you can do.

After thinking about it for a few days, that would be my strategy with $750 million in today's environment.
Can you help me out on this? How well does a super yacht hold it's value? Is it easy to resell? My brain is running in circles as to how forking over $500MM+ for a big flashy toy is a wise money management strategy. I believe you, I am just feeling really stupid right now.
Scruffy
AG
You borrow against that asset.
gcracker13
AG
Can you explain this to me like I'm 5?
Petrino1
Scruffy said:

Why would you need to borrow against an asset like a yacht when you have $750MM in the bank? You could invest it all in something safe like VTI or something similar, and the dividends alone would be $14-$15MM/year.
YouBet
AG
The two things you do first which were covered:

1. Tell no one.
2. Do nothing or change nothing for six months to a year.
3. Then decide what you want to do.
Scruffy
AG
Why pull money from well performing investments to buy more stuff when you can get a loan with lower interest rates with that asset as collateral?
Then you buy art or something and keep it going....

When they buy something like a yacht or priceless art, their worth doesn't drop by that amount, it increases buy the value of the assets.
ARCHag08
You borrow against an asset to create synthetic income without having to pay taxes (loans are not taxable income) while at the same time enjoying the asset, in this case a yatch I guess . . . Ask me how I don't know!
exp
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

You hit the mega millions jackpot.

$1.2 billion payout, but you took the cash option and walk away with $750 million.

They send you a form for where you want the money sent.

Now what? What do you do?

I'd like to hear what everybody's plan would be.

Buy Bitcoin
theeyetest
First things first, I'd create a trust to accept the money and I would tell nobody. Not even my wife if at all possible. She's the biggest blabbermouth and can't keep a secret for *****

I'd hire the best tax lawyers and CPA's money can buy. Once everything is in order, I'd take my wife and kids and disappear for 3-6 months.

After that, I'd start trying to find ways to connect and socialize with the top 1% circle and pick their brains on not only how they keep their money but how they grow their money. I'd use every single trick in the book that they taught me.

I honestly don't think I'd want that pressure and I like my life how it is. I would probably give 90% of it away to fund research for children's cancer as that's something that's close to my heart. I'd keep the other 10%, invest wisely, keep my small business running like a machine, and retire early.
htxag09
AG
I get this is the B&I board and everyone here is a boring, responsible investor.

But wtf

We're talking $750mm here. I'm quitting my job, my wife is quitting her job, we're buying whatever cars we want, whatever house we want, and doing whatever the eff we want, probably a decent bit of traveling right off the bat.

I mean yeah we'd talk to investors, but assuming even safe investments it wouldn't be possible to go through that much money. After some time I'd probably get an MBA or another form of higher education to keep myself busy and to grow and determine if I want to start doing more active investing, but c'mon!
OasisMan
AG
Scruffy said:

So let's say you won 500mil,

you buy this yacht for 500mil,
Take a ~1% loan for 250mil,

how is it making money to pay off your low interest loan ?
YouBet
AG
OasisMan said:

Scruffy said:

So let's say you won 500mil,

you buy this yacht for 500mil,
Take a ~1% loan for 250mil,

how is it making money to pay off your low interest loan ?

Yeah, I've never heard of this yacht strategy and would like to understand it.
LostInLA07
AG
I imagine you'd have to somehow tie the yacht to a business and maybe there's a way to take a huge deduction to offset a bunch of income?

I always thought this strategy worked best with cash flow producing and fast depreciation schedule assets though. No clue where a yacht falls. I think you still get bonus depreciation on jets though…so maybe you start a jet charter business, buy a $250MM jet, bonus depreciate the whole thing, and then borrow against it. Charter the jet out to cover the (deductible) interest expense and convert $250MM in taxable income to tax free income with the lease or charter fees covering the loan?

I do know you can use bonus depreciation to wipe out a bunch of taxable income when using a loan to purchase…because you can bonus depreciate based on the full eligible purchase price or cost, not the amount of equity you inject. So you basically get a big write off using the banks money.

Of course that's recaptured whenever you sell, but I suspect you can just use a 1031 exchange perpetually?

Surely some wise CPA can give us the 30,000ft explanation of something like this.
MAS444
AG
I'm curious about the yacht thing too - and wonder if the same strategy could be used on a much smaller scale.
mpl35
AG
**** this yacht idea. I'd buy a ranch or three in locations I've always wanted. Montana. Colorado. Etc. then I'd make sure my sons 13u team was stacked. I'm talking NIL deals here that make Saban cry like a little *****. Then I'd retire. I'd still have 600 million left to invest
Ogre09
AG
$750MM?

Move $25MM where I won't lose any

Invest another $25MM to generate income for expenses

$200MM for property purchases and upkeep:
ranch
city condo
gameday house
beach house
lake house
mountain condo
Italian villa

And spend a lot of my time deciding how to give away the other $500MM. Aggie athletics, college of engineering, the poor pygmies in Africa, etc..
Maroon Elephant
AG
Do you set up an REIT or LLC to purchase all those properties? Always wondered about that.
Ogre09
AG
I would think so. Obviously would get some professional help on structuring and executing.
deadbq03
AG
I didn't buy this time, but every now and then I buy a ticket when it's super high (>$400MM) just to do this mental exercise and see what's important to me.
Ogre09
AG
Your odds of winning are 0 if you don't buy a ticket, and are still approaching 0 if you do.
Colt98
AG
I bought one ticket. Got the pb number and one other..$2.. I'm Even Steven. We were in the keys and I bought a Florida ticket... if we had won we were going to send my son home(was going to tell him I was extending the vacation with a surprise week in Bahamas for my wife and I), to take care of dog and cows. She wouldn't be able to stay away from her practice much longer and I would ha e needed to get back to deal with this crappy drought.

Would have been a great problem to deal with, and was fun playing what if's....
SidetrackAg
AG
Colt98 said:

I bought one ticket. Got the pb number and one other..$2.. I'm Even Steven. We were in the keys and I bought a Florida ticket... if we had won we were going to send my son home(was going to tell him I was extending the vacation with a surprise week in Bahamas for my wife and I), to take care of dog and cows. She wouldn't be able to stay away from her practice much longer and I would ha e needed to get back to deal with this crappy drought.

Would have been a great problem to deal with, and was fun playing what if's....

The "what if" part is really fun
EclipseAg
AG
Ogre09 said:

$200MM for property purchases and upkeep:
ranch
city condo
gameday house
beach house
lake house
mountain condo
Italian villa

This would be my strategy.

I don't want a boat or any fancy toys. But I would like several very nice homes in different settings. Summer at the ranch out west. Winter at the beach, etc., etc.
Caliber
AG
For those talking about buying a bunch of houses, What is the upkeep plan? How do you manage having the houses ready to go to just come in? What kind of team really handles that?

If I have that many properties, definitely need someone to have things ready and just tell them I'm going to X.
arrow
AG
I'm kind of thinking: invest all, own nothing, rent everything. Maybe even fake death.
MAS444
AG
Owning multiple high end homes sounds great in theory but I don't think it would work great in practice. How much time are you really gonna spend at places 4, 5 and 6 (vs the cost and upkeep, maintenance, etc)? Just have a couple of great places and then you can rent super high end joints wherever else you want to go. Alas, it matters not...
Petrino1
MAS444 said:

Owning multiple high end homes sounds great in theory but I don't think it would work great in practice. How much time are you really gonna spend at places 4, 5 and 6 (vs the cost and upkeep, maintenance, etc)? Just have a couple of great places and then you can rent super high end joints wherever else you want to go. Alas, it matters not...
Do those things really matter when you are worth $750MM? You can hire someone to handle all of that stuff for you.
MAS444
AG
I guess only if you care about not wasting money.
752bro4
AG
MAS444 said:

I guess only if you care about not wasting money.

You have 3/4 of a billion dollars. It's not a waste. It's getting what you want when you want, completely on demand. It's the benefit of being an (almost) billionaire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.