Business & Investing
Sponsored by

You won the lotto, what now?

16,094 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by pbrancazio
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You hit the mega millions jackpot.

$1.2 billion payout, but you took the cash option and walk away with $750 million.

They send you a form for where you want the money sent.

Now what? What do you do?

I'd like to hear what everybody's plan would be.
OldArmyCT
AG
If you ask for the cell numbers of any 12th Man Foundation board member I'm sure you'll get them and they'd love to talk to you. And talk to you. And talk to you.
barnag
Send it all to the football department to get more recruits.
Picard
AG
I'd put it all on Home Depot stock

Carlo4
AG
Develop trust for family. Name of trust would be something completely unrelated to the family. Organize it for family payouts, etc.

My wife said she would start a non profit for adults with autism. I'd Invest in part ownership in my current company and become a minority owner in a sports franchise.

fire09
AG
Trust for me and my future generations. Trusts for my siblings, in laws, parents, to grow or use at their discretion. One time payment will be made clear but Im fortunate that my family is all responsible with money. Probably roll a couple percent into growing my business and starting a couple new ventures. Build a nice shop (always wanted one). Remainder goes to invest, charities, scholarships, improving the community and being a good steward to those who have helped me in the past. And a jet.....rental....for maybe a year to do some travel. Wife and I actually talked about this on a car ride yesterday.
ORAggieFan
There was a thread on here many years ago where someone had a friend that had helped a few huge winners. Their plan was always to get out of the country asap after claiming. You'd have all your requests in for house(s), etc. You would come back a few months later and the team would have everything worked out for you.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I think you'd have to find a private bank to deal with that kind of cash.

You'd also need a manager to handle it day to day.

I don't know what the strategy would be other than to spread it around as much as possible.
Adverse Event
Confirm a buy for $750M with the OTC bitcoin desk and put send it to cold storage, maybe 10% into easy to use methods.

Work on Inheritance from there.
Troglodyte
AG
Contact a tax attorney before you turn in the ticket. You want to make sure the right person/entity bought the ticket.

Contact a big bank, probably Goldman, and setup the accounts to receive the money.

Party like a rock star!!
Ragoo
AG
I would probably be banking in Switzerland from now on.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Swiss private banking is your best bet all things considered.

Another strategy would be to buy the most expensive asset you can find ... like a super-yacht ... and borrow against that asset to do whatever you want to do after that. thats Cayman Islands all day every day. thats their rice bowl.

Thats a very common strategy for the ultra rich. Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But if you always wonder why billionaires always have a super yacht, thats why. Its a tax strategy, and a strategy for preserving wealth.

Most of the time buying a boat is a money sink, unless its a super yacht type situation, in which case its one of the smartest things you can do.

After thinking about it for a few days, that would be my strategy with $750 million in today's environment.
Ragoo
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Yeah, I agree with you on that.

Swiss private banking is your best bet all things considered.

Another strategy would be to buy the most expensive asset you can find ... like a super-yacht ... and borrow against that asset to do whatever you want to do after that. thats Cayman Islands all day every day. thats their rice bowl.

Thats a very common strategy for the ultra rich. Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. But if you always wonder why billionaires always have a super yacht, thats why. Its a tax strategy, and a strategy for preserving wealth.

Most of the time buying a boat is a money sink, unless its a super yacht type situation, in which case its one of the smartest things you can do.

After thinking about it for a few days, that would be my strategy with $750 million in today's environment.
you could also buy a lot of AMZN, GOOG, etc and borrow at like 1% against those holdings.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'd buy the mega yacht but it would serve as the mothership for the fleet of 36ish sportfishing yachts I'd buy every year or so, so i could have a bunch of friends come hang out and have fishing tournaments every day and party every night, then when the boats start to need maintenance/ show some wear, pick a spot off galveston to play bumper yachts until they become a new snapper reef, then take delivery of the next fleet and start over. Also a fuel barge
Casey TableTennis
AG
Ragoo said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

you could also buy a lot of AMZN, GOOG, etc and borrow at like 1% against those holdings.

1mo SOFR is a practical floor on pledged lending. It takes subsidies (no spread) to get down to that, so would only be done by a financial institution to protect/win other business. Even so, 1% lending at current rates is not doable. 3% would be about as cheap as someone that pledged a few hundred million could get on a floating rate today.
a07nathanb
AG
Convince Mackenzie Bezos to marry me then buy the Cowboys to finally get rid of Jerry
J.P. 03
AG
I would buy as much WWR stock as it took to get the price high enough for everyone on this board to be made whole again.
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
a07nathanb said:

Convince Mackenzie Bezos to marry me then buy the Cowboys to finally get rid of Jerry

Finally a good answer!
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You claim it with a trust or partnership to remain anonymous. I'd put it in insured cash equivalents and then I would live my life like normal for 6 months to get used to the idea of that degree of wealth. After I'd had a chance to emotionally process it, then I'd figure out what to do.

I don't really have a boss, but I think crapping on the bosses desk is something all of you guys should do. You should also go to the local Applebees and get the fancy riblets to splurge a bit.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
austinAG90
AG
No hookers and blow takers??
DannyDuberstein
AG
Step 1 is tell no one. I'm in finance, so I'll just allow myself to be a vague success story of a guy who hit on some things and ultimately quit his corporate job to go into business for himself. And I'm just not the type to live crazy extravagantly. Which being in finance, I'd hire a team of lawyers and finance support to set up trust(s) and to help manage it. Then i'm hiring a 2nd set of eyes/hands to help me watch them.
E
AG
J.P. 03 said:

I would buy as much WWR stock as it took to get the price high enough for everyone on this board to be made whole again.

The hero we need, but don't deserve…
DannyDuberstein
AG
The yacht/asset strategy is interesting. But I feel like that could be a drunken captain, some insurance fine print, and/or maybe an insurance company going belly up at the wrong time away from disaster. I know it's a strategy many employ, but I'd wanna be a lot more diversified than some of these massively expensive assets would offer
FrioAg 00
AG
Yeah, I have a couple dozen close friends and family who would get a nice piece of the action (low 7 digits each) - but extremely clear it was a one time thing so do not ask. They could blow it, invest it, completely up to them.

I'd endow my offspring and their kids via trusts for education type expenses, and down payments on first homes.

I'd endow a fund through the church that went to preachers, missionaries and youth ministers.

I'd definitely add a mountain home in Colorado and I'd great trade up my little farm, then a modest beach house in the Caribbean.

I'd get to quite about 7 years earlier than otherwise planned.
cgh1999
AG
Lots of good ideas already shared. I would set up a charitable trust as well. Tightly define my ideas of charitable gifts, and then have a board that manages it. That way, when everyone starts asking for money I have a place to send them. I can blame the board for not giving them money.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
E said:

J.P. 03 said:

The hero we need, but don't deserve…
OasisMan
AG
I would pay off debts for immediate family; also set up 7fig funds where they could withdraw 3% from safely annually

Mountain home

Invest in stocks

Capital investing on smaller projects

Complete current project

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/buy-borrow-die-how-rich-americans-live-off-their-paper-wealth-11625909583
Ranger222
AG
bmks270
AG
I would buy real estate and probably utility sector ETF and some other ETFs. Setup cash flowing investments.

Also some vacation homes, some to charity, and set aside some for high risk business investments.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Open up a Swiss bank account and get with people who know how to create trusts for members of the family.

Buy some acreage in Montana, the Bavarian Alps, and/or Italy. Nothing huge or expansive, but a piece of land that is quiet and mine and mine only.

I'd buy a Leica M6 and travel and take heaps of pictures with it. I'd like to open a photography studio that had community dark rooms to try and keep film photography alive. Maybe buy or open little cafe in a small town somewhere that probably won't make me any money but give me something to do.

Donate large sums to projects I've volunteered with and children's hospitals across the world.
BlueSmoke
Family trust
Giant ranch
Disappear....
Nobody cares. Work Harder
lobopride
Buy 2000+ acres of land that has its own water and natural gas wells.
Build an isolated electrical grid that has several different power sources on it.
Buy a lot of fun personal defense toys.
Buy $100 million in precious metals and store on-site with requisite secure storage.
Try to keep all of the above quiet so nobody even knows about it.
LMCane
when you boys think about these things it doesn't depress you when you realize your own life is far from what you are discussing here?

I prefer not to even think about winning a lottery

when I got a 1 time bonus payment from my company to move from CT to North carolina which was half my annual salary- THAT was me winning the lottery
Discovery77
AG
setup family
setup a foundation for various charities/TAMU
build a ranch compound that's completely self sustaining
replicate that somewhere near a beach
relax
Apache
AG
Set up LLC/Trusts for kids

One time payments for my extended family & maybe some really good friends.

Buy a ranch...1500-3500 acres ish & build compound. Have some buffalo. Shooting range. Skeet range. Nice stocked tank.

Donate my money & time to some worthy causes:
*Pancreatic cancer research in memory of my Mom.
*My hometown Church.
*Fightin' Texas Aggies
*Foster Kids
*Veterans
*Buy a nice chunk of land & do some restoration. Donate it to the State of Texas for a new State Park so as to save it from developers.

Travel the world a few months out of the year to:
*Scuba *Hunt *See cool stuff *Do cool things (Bringing my kids along as their schedule allows)

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.