Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Anybody else waiting on tax refund?

22,163 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OldArmyBrent
GCRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm seeing the same thing and assumed the same. They really need a drop down to select refund year as part of search criteria.
strbrst777
Internal Revenue Service: Service? What service? It is not a servicing organization. Still waiting...and waiting.. and waiting for refund.
azul_rain
Did y'all ever get those refunds?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I'm still waiting on my 2020 refund. That probably means another rookie IRS agent that thinks they found something but ends up showing their ass.
gigemhilo
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I'm still waiting on my 2020 refund. That probably means another rookie IRS agent that thinks they found something but ends up showing their ass.
unfortunately it really means its sitting on someone's desk until they get a chance to approve it.
azul_rain
That should be illegal
gigemhilo
AG
well, if you mean it should be illegal for them to hold for review, then ok.

but the people that are reviewing them are way behind should be processing them in the order received. They are not doing anything nefarious, they are just overwhelmed.
BigN--00
AG
It is going to be worse this year...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/01/12/irs-2022-tax-season-challenges/9161470002/

By the end of 2021, the IRS had yet to process 6 million original individual returns, another 2.3 million amended individual returns, and over 2 million quarterly tax forms submitted by employers. That mountain of paper meant many of the 77% of Americans who get refunds still hadn't received them by late December, even though they'd filed their returns in April or shortly after.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Yes. Same boat as you.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Another anecdote for you - I have a client that had an audit close last summer and hasn't gotten the final no-change letter yet. The only reason we know is that we pulled the transcript and saw that it was noted there. I also have a handful of paper filings that have moved to the point of the automatic levy notice because the IRS hasn't processed the responses from a year ago. They're behind and it's not looking promising for the coming year with all the retirements, including early retirements that a lot are entertaining because of vaccine mandates.
Jet Black
Mailed mine in March 2021 and have heard nothing. In addition, for the prior year it looks like they cashed my check but my return hasn't been processed. At least that is what it looked like on the transcript.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Is there an easy way I could see the status of my filing like that? I did not use a CPA last year, but will use one for 2021.
gigemhilo
AG
Jet Black said:

Mailed mine in March 2021 and have heard nothing. In addition, for the prior year it looks like they cashed my check but my return hasn't been processed. At least that is what it looked like on the transcript.
I would have the return e-filed. In all seriousness, only mail to the IRS when you have to. If you had e-filed, it would have been processed in March unless there was a reason it was held up (the reasons we have mentioned in this thread).
gigemhilo
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

Is there an easy way I could see the status of my filing like that? I did not use a CPA last year, but will use one for 2021.
you an ask for a transcript. there is a process to do that online on the IRS website.
Jet Black
gigemhilo said:

Jet Black said:

I would have the return e-filed. In all seriousness, only mail to the IRS when you have to. If you had e-filed, it would have been processed in March unless there was a reason it was held up (the reasons we have mentioned in this thread).

I couldn't e-file. Normally I don't care because I am paying. This time I was actually getting money back though.
GCRanger
AG
Anyone else still waiting on refund? It's been about 9 months since I submitted. Calling is no help. Is it time start writing reps and senators?

edit to add:

"However, a recent effort to hire 5,000 positions to assist the agency with the tax filing season wasn't even able to draw 200 applicants."
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/politics/can-irs-get-through-its-massive-backlog-200509

What a cluster F. Seems like a great opportunity to simplify the tax system.
- Everyone pays as individual
- Everyone just pays a set % of income (flat would be nice but not likely to get legislation on that, so stick with some sort of tiered system for now)
- Get rid of all credits, deductions
- Simple enough it goes on a post-card

none of that will happen but one can dream.
Jet Black
Jet Black said:

gigemhilo said:

Jet Black said:

I couldn't e-file. Normally I don't care because I am paying. This time I was actually getting money back though.

2021 returned was processed and paid before my 2020.
gigemhilo
AG
Jet Black said:

Jet Black said:

gigemhilo said:

Jet Black said:

2021 returned was processed and paid before my 2020.
I called for someone a couple weeks ago and the IRS told me that they basically had lost a lot of the returns that were paper filed or held for review. The one I called about, they released the refund for them over the phone.

This was using the tax practitioner hotline, but still. I would call the taxpayer advocate service and see if they can resolve it for you.
Jet Black
Appreciate the input. I had my 2021 taxes done by an acct. She looked at my 2020 return for me, which I prepared, and found an error. She suggested filing an amended return, so I may go that route.
gigemhilo
AG
Jet Black said:

Appreciate the input. I had my 2021 taxes done by an acct. She looked at my 2020 return for me, which I prepared, and found an error. She suggested filing an amended return, so I may go that route.
if they never received (IE Lost) the first return, then you may just want to refile the return (with errors fixed of course). I would ask her to call tax practitioner hotline to see if they are holding for review or have no record of it.
ToddyHill
AG
We just received our IRS refund for our 2020 taxes. Filed them in July 2021 (filed an extension). Had two errors in them...one that affected the return by one dollar and the other one was a flat out mistake by our CPA. That one put us on the bottom of the pile.
OldArmyBrent
AG
After paper filing a 2019 990 in November of 2020 (on time), I dealt with repeated notices about not having received it. Responded each time with a copy of the filed return and still got a notice they were going to levy our assets. Just checked the website and the return is now up with a received stamp dated November 2020. So I guess they are Just a bit over a year behind at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.