Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Crypto-trading thread

779,769 Views | 8573 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Algorithmic Epiphany
carl spacklers hat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yukon Cornelius said:

Dang. No one is bullish enough.
Over the long-term, I would agree. BTC market cap is around $1.2T now. Comparing BTC to the most popular "store of value, hedge against inflation", gold, with a market cap around $10T, BTC would need to rise 9x to achieve parity with gold, which I think is a decent benchmark. How long does it take to get there is the obvious question, and I don't know.

My sense is that we'll see BTC in the $120k range during this cycle (roughly by end of 2025). I've followed BTC in earnest since 2016 and been invested since 2017. Doesn't make me an expert. I'm basing my opinion on BTC historical performance/trends.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
p-townag
AG
I think everything you said is right on. There are a few things to consider though, that makes the "out there predictions" of 500k to 1 million not that crazy:

1. ETFs are doing crazy volume, and once GBTC outflow cools off, they're buying $200 to 500 million of Bitcoin per day.
2. Last cycle was "stunted" by FTX and Celsius
3. Stock to flow model (which has been pretty dang accurate) is showing in the hundreds of thousands this cycle.
4. FOMO accelerates the higher the price gets. And the supply has never been more constrained.
5. Bitcoin is already surging before the halving. That's not typical.

Things are gonna get wild really soon!
Algorithmic Epiphany
carl spacklers hat said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Dang. No one is bullish enough.
Over the long-term, I would agree. BTC market cap is around $1.2T now. Comparing BTC to the most popular "store of value, hedge against inflation", gold, with a market cap around $10T, BTC would need to rise 9x to achieve parity with gold, which I think is a decent benchmark. How long does it take to get there is the obvious question, and I don't know.

My sense is that we'll see BTC in the $120k range during this cycle (roughly by end of 2025). I've followed BTC in earnest since 2016 and been invested since 2017. Doesn't make me an expert. I'm basing my opinion on BTC historical performance/trends.

BTC:USD has taken as little as 6 months to 10x historically. It's largest daily gain was around 46% iirc.

That means we could expect 3-6 months coming on par with gold if trends continue.

I just don't see how the acceleration slows down if we get close to that parity.

It's frightening.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SHIB up 93% today.

Cryptomania is back.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Hasn't even begun. Chasing last cycles pumps Is indicator things are starting. People just now warming up the engines.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
The capitulation for BTC adoption will happen very fast. Most major financial and geopolitical shifts actually occur on very very short time frames. Like a day or week.
Brother Shamus
Dump a roonies day.
TxAG#2011
Wow this market is a scam. Save us ETF
bmks270
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

The capitulation for BTC adoption will happen very fast. Most major financial and geopolitical shifts actually occur on very very short time frames. Like a day or week.

How much more adoption is left?

Its market cap surpassed silver.
jamey
AG
bmks270 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

It may all go to zero in the end

Between now and then the ease of buying with an ETF, industry experts like Blackrock suggesting everyone go 1-3% bitcoin in their portfolio, the halving event next month and just everything about it screams meme stock on steroids.

I'm gonna keep buying a little. I'm currently up 20%. If it were to double or tripple this year like some think I'll sell enough to be net free.

I may not go even 1% of my portfolio but half a percent or so seems worth the gamble
p-townag
AG
I'll see your 1% and raise you 40%.
Algorithmic Epiphany
jamey said:

bmks270 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

It may all go to zero in the end

Between now and then the ease of buying with an ETF, industry experts like Blackrock suggesting everyone go 1-3% bitcoin in their portfolio, the halving event next month and just everything about it screams meme stock on steroids.

I'm gonna keep buying a little. I'm currently up 20%. If it were to double or tripple this year like some think I'll sell enough to be net free.

I may not go even 1% of my portfolio but half a percent or so seems worth the gamble

Blackrock has actually publicly stated a 24%-83% or some audacious number isn't improper to have allocated to Bitcoin.

Quote:

In the paper, BlackRock researchers suggested that the optimal allocation to Bitcoin in an investment portfolio consisting of 60% equities and 40% bonds should be a substantial 84.9%
Quote:

Shocking Bitcoin Strategy from BlackRock Calls for 28% Allocation

jamey
AG
Yeah, that's crazy
“Science is more than a body of knowledge. It’s a way of thinking. A way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we’re up for grabs for the next charlatan, political or religious, who comes ambling along.”--Carl Sagan
p-townag
AG
jamey said:

Yeah, that's crazy

It's the best performing asset of the decade by far and now has regulatory clarity and institutional support. Not that crazy.
XpressAg09
AG
TxAG#2011 said:

Wow this market is a scam. Save us ETF
Won't the ETF just track the BTC price?
Pepper Brooks
AG
The ETFs are soaking up the supply of available Bitcoin which is influencing the price.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Algorithmic Epiphany
Blackrock bought something ungodly like 14,000 bitcoin today, alone, with daily new supply only offering 900 bitcoi dailyn, and halving to 450 daily in April

****s getting real.

Dollar death spiral
Bitcoin etf's
Election year
BRICS

Meanwhile, on the cryptotrading thread:
TxAG#2011
Are you kidding? Most altcoins are roaring.
LihaiAg06
AG
GRT to .50 very soon
Yukon Cornelius
AG
There is not much difference between a btc maxi and a no coiner when it comes to alts. The same thinking the plagues the no coiner from buying btc is the same for the btc maxi that won't buy alts. Literally the same arguments used by both groups. Kind of funny to watch sometimes.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I own some different alts, but I still think until we figure out a way to drastically reduce energy costs, most alts can be performed by non blockchain alternatives cheaper. From a business perspective, they have yet to prove that they are economically advantageous.

But that's not to say I don't think some things would have great application on blockchain. I typically buy based on what need I see them fulfill.

Although I do own token amounts of lottos like Doge and
Shiba.
TxAG#2011
Yukon Cornelius said:

There is not much difference between a btc maxi and a no coiner when it comes to alts. The same thinking the plagues the no coiner from buying btc is the same for the btc maxi that won't buy alts. Literally the same arguments used by both groups. Kind of funny to watch sometimes.
They're both annoying but frankly come off as idiots. I've seen a lot less of that this cycle except here
TxAG#2011
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I own some different alts, but I still think until we figure out a way to drastically reduce energy costs, most alts can be performed by non blockchain alternatives cheaper. From a business perspective, they have yet to prove that they are economically advantageous.

But that's not to say I don't think some things would have great application on blockchain. I typically buy based on what need I see them fulfill.

Although I do own token amounts of lottos like Doge and
Shiba.
You are certainly right but it doesn't matter. Buy now, sell higher.
Algorithmic Epiphany
Yukon Cornelius said:

There's only one timechain.
AgEng06
AG
I have some ETH that is staked on Coinbase and I'm contemplating selling it to buy BTC.

It looks like I can either unstake it (takes almost 2 weeks), or wrap it with cbETH and sell that immediately. I'm not familiar with wrapping, so what's the better option?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
If you can wrap it and sell for same price might as well do it. Eth is in a dangerous position to me. Derivatives ontop of derivatives of staked eth with 2 year plus waiting periods to unlock the actually staked eth. Eth is set up to absolutely crash when the time comes.

It takes 32 eth to stake and run a node. That eth is locked up and there's an unlock que which currently is a little over 2 years. The eth you have "staked" on Coinbase since it requires a minimum of 32 and people with less can't stake Coinbase and others offer to consolidate everyone's eth. Thus reaching the minimum and staking and running nodes. They give you the staking rewards while taking their cut. Good for them they get rewards for staked eth they don't own. Good for you you get to stake eth below the minimum total.

Now you can also "unstake" via Coinbase in two weeks but it's not the same eth that you deposited. They're just giving you other eth. The eth you gave to be staked is locked for 2 years.

So if everyone goes to Coinbase to get their "staked" eth you'll have a Coinbase run on staked eth which they won't be able to cover everyone's staked eth.

Now when you deposit your eth to be staked you essentially have a redeemable ticket saying you have claim to so much staked eth. Well wrapping that essentially means that "ticket to staked" is tradable at the same value of the stakes eth. It works now but if people start dumping the IOUs because they can't get the actual eth unstaked the IOUs will crash. And eth too.

This likely won't happen until next bear cycle but I can't see how it doesn't happen.

People have leverage ontop of leverage of derivatives of derivatives of staked eth. It's absolutely wild.

And so many alts via DEXs are priced per eth pairings so when eth crashes alts will crash too. It'll happen fast.
Stonegateag85
Sol is running.
Ags2013
AG
AgEng06 said:

I have some ETH that is staked on Coinbase and I'm contemplating selling it to buy BTC.

It looks like I can either unstake it (takes almost 2 weeks), or wrap it with cbETH and sell that immediately. I'm not familiar with wrapping, so what's the better option?
I ended up unstaking. I'm planning on selling (not converting) at some point in this bull market. I don't really feel like holding through another bear market.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the detailed reply.
TxAG#2011
Stonegateag85 said:

Sol is running.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Is there anyone bullish on ETH?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Yes and no. It'll pump hard and dump hard. The EVM has problems like high gas fees but compared to other chains it performs more reliably. Avalanche and solana have outages and are centralized still. So that's a pro for eth and goes to show how fundamentally difficult it is to build a blockchain.
TxAG#2011
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Is there anyone bullish on ETH?
Yes, Ethereum is getting an ETF. Don't see how you couldn't be bullish
Stonegateag85
I get bearish when I see ETH gas fees!
cena05
AG
So I should swap my ethereum for Bitcoin? My only crypto is a couple thousand dollars worth of ethereum.
First Page Last Page
Page 240 of 245

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.