Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Tenbaggers

23,056 Views | 133 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jamey
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a diversion, let us know if you have any holdings currently in your portfolio that have appreciated over 1000% since purchase. These are commonly known as tenbaggers, and are never a bad thing. If you would like to share your justification for continuing to hold them, feel free, but the purpose here is mainly to celebrate your rare good fortune (or wise judgment, however you choose to look at it) .

My current crop:

PLUG - with today's action, I have achieved (on paper) the rare twenty-bagger. Up 2043% since 2013.

ORCL - eleven-bagger. This is simply the value of a blue chip buy-and-hold, as it was purchased in 1997.

AMZN - on tenbagger watch, up 940% since a 2013 purchase

Your tenbaggers?
RightWingConspirator
AG
I just got my first double (FANG).
PA24
AG
I have Fang

Compliments my midstream WES

MAS444
AG
Now tell us how many shares of each so we can decide how much to hate you.
I bleed maroon
AG
MAS444 said:

Now tell us how many shares of each so we can decide how much to hate you.
Don't hate on me much.

Only 1500 shares of PLUG (cost basis of $412) I had 5000 shares initially, but sold most along the way. Pure speculative play.

150 shares of ORCL

30 shares of AMZN (the only one of the three that has amounted to any real money). This is also in my IRA, so I don't get to spend it anytime soon.
The Pilot
AG
Yeah, I don't have this problem yet.
MAS444
AG
Nice!
I bleed maroon
AG
MAS444 said:

Nice!
Before you say that, remember, these are all paper gains only. They're really only actual tenbaggers if I sell them and realize the profit.

Come to think of it, that's a much better topic - ACHIEVED tenbaggers in your investing history. I have none.

And, go!
Dr. Doctor
AG
Guy at work has Haliburton for like 7 or 8 bucks. Quite a sizeable amount too. He logged in and was showing me.

At the time, it was sitting at 85 to 90 a share.

Best I've done was 5x...

~egon
The Pilot
AG
Well, I have $HAL right now at 6.XX, so fingers crossed we go back to those numbers.
ToddyHill
AG
Thanks to my daughter's advice, I bought a bunch of Apple in 2007 (when they announced the introduction of the iPhone). Last time I checked, I think the stock has done OK.
FamousAgg
I remember I high school in the early 2000s we had a stock project, I picked Apple, would be interesting to see how the class would have done long term.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
AAPL
CSCO
Drillbit4
AG
AMZN in at $177
NFLX in as low as $11.41. 3700% gain. Taken some chips off along the way on both of these.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
penny stock... edig back in the 90's/2000

bought in the $0.20 range... sold in $2.50 range

it went up to $24ish :-(

an old raging bull forum stock
Ernest Tucker
AG
A number of years ago, PLUG made me enough for half the down payment on my house
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
That NFLX is insanity.

500 shares would have been $5700 and worth $217k today
ABATTBQ11
AG
I wanted Google when they did their IPO, but I was a dirt poor AF HS student, and my parents weren't much better. Had a buddy who told his parents to go hard in on lockheed when the JSF proposals came out. They listened and made serious bank when it was awarded.
hbkyle
AG
Owned some Dell in the early 90's but I sold after a 20% or 30% gain. I should have held on to it.

Adjusted for splits, Dell was $0.40 in 1992 and $43.00 in 1999.

The split adjusted IPO price in 1988 was $0.09. If you invested $10,000 at the IPO, the value 11 years later was $4,777,000.

Twice an Aggie
AG
AMD...wish I had bought a ton more shares...up over 1900%
Dr. Doctor
AG
I had to go back and look and I did have one:

Huntman Chemicals (HUN)

Bought back in 08 timeframe. They were getting sued and countersued for failed business deal. Was reading a trade magazine and they did a piece on them. I was a broke grad kid so I threw as much as I could to them because it seemed like they would A) win and B) bounce back. I bought like $600 at $2/share.

I have more of it in the single digits, but not a lot. Sold some when it hit $20 a while back but now my average is $5/share.

~egon
Whoop Delecto
AG
birdman
Google
TxAG#2011
Put in about 7k to a crypto ****coin in summer of 17. Watched as it went well over 20x and my account went to over 100k.

I didn't sell it. It's now down about 80%.
AnyOtherName
AG
Ducks4brkfast
AG
XOM - purchased in 1978
62strat
AG
If 100% up is double, isn't a ten bagger 900%?

My netflix is up ~350%, but it's 4.5x what I paid.
I bleed maroon
AG
I tend to agree with you, 62strat. My only excuse is that I didn't create the term - BLAME PETER LYNCH. I guess the part I have a problem with is that "single" doesn't translate at all, "double" actually means you triple your money, and a "triple" quadruples your investment. After a homer, we're all just bragging anyway.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tenbagger.asp

I hope your NFLX ends up as a home run for you!
62strat
AG
Maybe it assumes you sell.

If it triples in value, that's 200% growth. When you sell, you profited twice your investment (not triple). So a double bagger meaning on $100, you made $200 profit. It's worth $300 before you sell. Double matches 200% which is 3x growth.

I've had 6oz of whiskey, maybe this is right, maybe it isn't.

Harkrider 93
AG
NM
billikenag
Bought ARRY for $4.00 in 2013 and still had half of the original position when PFE bought it for $48 in 2019. My biggest gain (by annual return) in my investing life.

The speculative part of my portfolio is almost exclusively biotech. I buy speculative positions up to $3,000 so that I can write them off if they go to zero. That ARRY trade has been my biggest winner.

In the investment part of my portfolio my biggest gainer to date is ABT. I bought in 2011 and inclusive of dividends and the ABBV spinoff, it's currently a five-bagger.
Ranger222
AG
I bought some TRIL (also biotech) before the end of 2019 when it was under a dollar. It's 7+ dollars today and think it'll cross over $10 by end of the year.

Biotechs are fun and probably the best chance for multi-baggers, but it takes a while and certain risk tolerance to learn how to trade them. 3 - 4 years ago when a biotech shot up +50% or higher due to positive data I thought I'd hold forever until a big biotech/pharma bought them out and make a huge return. Now I know the ARRY story is the exception. I've become a lot better about taking gains along the way and play with a smaller percentage of the portfolio to reduce risk, or just use them as trading vehicles instead of being committed to just holding.

Shopify is probably my closest non-biotech 10Xer. Have some shares from $90+. Mercadolibre another one that is close that should exceed it at some point.
62strat
AG
I don't have any tenbaggers.. but I've tracked my net worth since 2010, and my net worth is 16X what it was in 2010.. so I'm happy about that. I had a bit of a later start in all this, but my 30s were good. Not gonna get specific, but 2010 net worth was about half of my annual salary at that time.

Now if only my 40s could see the same type of growth! If it did, I'd be right at 8 figure net worth territory, and would likely retire at 50

One can dream.. you never know.
Ulrich
How much is a beater economy car worth? That was my net worth in 2010.
FamousAgg
Ulrich said:

How much is a beater economy car worth? That was my net worth in 2010.

At least you were in the green.. I was in the red at that point.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.